What's next for the SEOAL?

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Re: What's next for the SEOAL?

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Orange and Brown wrote:
GalliaGrad78 wrote:
Orange and Brown wrote:I am betting on the SEOAL folding and the remaining teams will join the TVC
You would like that, huh?

No way that Gallia Academy joins the TVC, if the SEOAL does fold(which I don't believe will happen), it will be the OVC.
That's what all the Jackson faithful said.......right before Jackson tried to get into the league!
But, we aint' talking about Jackson, now are we?

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Any updates on teams COMING to the SEOAL in the next few years?

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I don't see the compelling argument that because one team is dominant for a while the league must be broken up-----The TVC Ohio functioned quite well when NY was winning more championships in a row than Athens has won since they joined. The TVC Hocking was the Trimble Invitational until Wahama joined. Who in the last 15 years has a winning record against the Cats except the White Falcons?

They aren't going to 3 divisions so if you are Alexander, Wellston, or Vinton County make your case to me why Jackson, Warren, Gallia, or Logan would be a good fit. If I'm wrong (it's happened a bunch) and they do go to 3---I feel the league will fracture.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Most teams seem to be leaving because of travel time and the cost.

TigerBacker#1
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerBacker#1 »

One team left because they could not won the football Championship. They finely found a new league. Maybe they can finely wina championship in the New Century.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

At one time.....Zanesville to Ironton/Ironton to Zanesville.......Marietta to Portsmouth/Portsmouth to Marietta could really be hard on the pocket book plus after school trips during the week could be hard on sleep.........figuring 7 thur varsity games. The SEOAL went to all corners of southeastern, Ohio. The league looked good but had some strong points for failure as 10 teams and it happened.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

I always felt it was because of the in week sports, not the "Big 2" it never was cost effective for the less attractive sports

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

I never got the "need" to play Jr. High sports in a league where heavy travel was involved. I'd be happy ( even as a coach) to limit league travel play to Varsity and JV. FB & BB. Exclude everything else. Schedule local as best you can or schedule travel as you see fit but don't require it. Schedule games on week-ends and during holiday breaks ( Xmas or spring break).

With Zanesville, Ironton, Portsmouth and Chilly gone, no reason Marietta and Athens wouldn't be reasonable adds along with either Parkersburg team(s). 8 teams would be nice, but 6 is just fine.

I see Marietta coming back and Athens not far behind.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Paladin wrote:I never got the "need" to play Jr. High sports in a league where heavy travel was involved. I'd be happy ( even as a coach) to limit league travel play to Varsity and JV. FB & BB. Exclude everything else. Schedule local as best you can or schedule travel as you see fit but don't require it. Schedule games on week-ends and during holiday breaks ( Xmas or spring break).

With Zanesville, Ironton, Portsmouth and Chilly gone, no reason Marietta and Athens wouldn't be reasonable adds along with either Parkersburg team(s). 8 teams would be nice, but 6 is just fine.

I see Marietta coming back and Athens not far behind.
Problem with this thought on JH and lesser sports is that many teams in the area are league affiliated and that creates scheduling problems. In SE Ohio it is important to have solid JH program. As far as the other sports who do you play if leagues are playing MWF? There is more to an athletic department than the BIG 2

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

More73 wrote:If the seoal fails then I honestly see gallia in the Ovc

I think Jackson would love to get in the OVC and I believe if the SEOAL does not show they are committed adding teams and staying strong they will go to the OVC.
They been offered and was told that it will stand till they know for sure the SEOAL is not for them no longer.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Wonder what Jackson's chances of making it to the play offs .................if they would be in the OVC
Last edited by noreply66 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

The SEOAL only "fails" if Gallipolis or Jackson leaves.

Logan is not going ANYWHERE because they have no options. As in ZERO options.

And as long as GAHS, JHS, and LHS stay together, so will the SEOAL.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

One of the things that separates the SEOAL from MUCH of SEO is TRADITION and PRIDE. The excuses used by other schools to leave or avoid coming to the SEOAL are many but it usually boils down to the same reason every time --competition . Much of the TVC are former members of the SEOAL who couldn't compete -- losers. The SEOAL has been the biggest schools with the toughest competition. Much of SEO is "minor league" FB, small schools playing weak schedules. SEOAL teams would find it much more difficult to make the post season playing a bunch of smaller minor league teams, maybe even impossible considering the poor season records of many of the small teams. LOgan, Warren, Jackson and Gallia form the base of the SEOAL now. Others will be attracted to playing in the best league in SEO, but they will be bigger schools. The process is in play now.

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

As a Warren fan and alumni, I have always thought that Warren going back to the TVC would be a good thing, but after reading some of the posts I am now convinced that Warren should hang on to the SEOAL as long as the other 3 do. Unless all the SEOAL goes to the TVC and forms a big school league, playing some of the TVC Ohio teams will not benefit us as much as scheduling up as we have done this year in basketball. I hope Warren stays with the SEOAL and I think they will.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I highly doubt seoal will go anywhere. Second oldest league

Jif
Riding the Bench

Post by Jif »

School Boys Girls
Athens 297 335
Logan 478 471
Gallia 253 224
Jackson 306 297
Meigs 218 177
N-Y 148 153
River Valley 186 195
Vinton Co. 290 253
Warren 279 263
Wellston 179 185
Marietta 349 356

In the TVC, Superintendents make the decision. I have spoken to a couple of them about this issue. They have been talking among themselves I am sure. The theme is Logan is too big. If they insist on application as a group, all of them may find themselves where they are right now (a league looking for more members). If Logan is in the mix none of them will be accepted. The other thing I have heard is that Marietta has jumped around a lot in the last 20 or 30 years (Marietta has expressed interest in coming back).

In the list above, Meigs would probably be the team where the break would occur (with Meigs moving to the Upper division SEOAL Division). The rest of the schools on the list, and the schools not listed would be in the other two divisions.
Why would Meigs vote to be in a division with a school that is twice their size. Logan is much bigger than Athens, why would they want it. The two smaller divisions might want it because restructuring might help them to be more competitive in the new divisions. If the vote is only within the Ohio Division (not sure how the by-laws read), if Logan is in the mix it will not happen. The other schools had better think about applying individually or as a group try to attract other schools to the current SEOAL.

Attack
Freshman Team

Post by Attack »

Paladin wrote:One of the things that separates the SEOAL from MUCH of SEO is TRADITION and PRIDE. The excuses used by other schools to leave or avoid coming to the SEOAL are many but it usually boils down to the same reason every time --competition . Much of the TVC are former members of the SEOAL who couldn't compete -- losers. The SEOAL has been the biggest schools with the toughest competition. Much of SEO is "minor league" FB, small schools playing weak schedules. SEOAL teams would find it much more difficult to make the post season playing a bunch of smaller minor league teams, maybe even impossible considering the poor season records of many of the small teams. LOgan, Warren, Jackson and Gallia form the base of the SEOAL now. Others will be attracted to playing in the best league in SEO, but they will be bigger schools. The process is in play now.
A foolish post by a small minded man. :lol: Those "losers" you wrote about have sent four teams to the playoffs the last few seasons. Which is about four more than the "tradition and pride" filled SEOAL sent last year. Have all the "tradition and pride" you want, but when your conference champion does not qualify for the post season your schedule can't be anything to boast about. Those losers on the other hand have not just qualified, but have had success in the post season the past few years, advancing further than any current member of that "tradition and pride" filled conference ever has. Maybe that is why the "tradition and pride" filled conference is making a plea to join the "losers." Maybe they would like to be a part of that post season success? Or maybe they see the demise of "tradition and pride" on the horizon?" Call us what you will, but we will take what we have over what you have any time. Apparently, your conference would as well if we would let them join in. :mrgreen:

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

rainman wrote:The other thing I have heard is that Marietta has jumped around a lot in the last 20 or 30 years (Marietta has expressed interest in coming back).
In the last 29 years Marietta has been in a grand total of 2 conferences. In the SEOAL from 1985-2010 and the ECOL from 2011-2014.

I would hardly call that "jumping around a lot."

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

rainman wrote:School Boys Girls
Athens 297 335
Logan 478 471
Gallia 253 224
Jackson 306 297
Meigs 218 177
N-Y 148 153
River Valley 186 195
Vinton Co. 290 253
Warren 279 263
Wellston 179 185
Marietta 349 356

In the TVC, Superintendents make the decision. I have spoken to a couple of them about this issue. They have been talking among themselves I am sure. The theme is Logan is too big. If they insist on application as a group, all of them may find themselves where they are right now (a league looking for more members). If Logan is in the mix none of them will be accepted. The other thing I have heard is that Marietta has jumped around a lot in the last 20 or 30 years (Marietta has expressed interest in coming back).

In the list above, Meigs would probably be the team where the break would occur (with Meigs moving to the Upper division SEOAL Division). The rest of the schools on the list, and the schools not listed would be in the other two divisions.
Why would Meigs vote to be in a division with a school that is twice their size. Logan is much bigger than Athens, why would they want it. The two smaller divisions might want it because restructuring might help them to be more competitive in the new divisions. If the vote is only within the Ohio Division (not sure how the by-laws read), if Logan is in the mix it will not happen. The other schools had better think about applying individually or as a group try to attract other schools to the current SEOAL.
If the SEOAL doesn't stay together as a group Gallipolis has a better option (going to the OVC). Warren could probably get into the TVC on their own. Jackson would probably be happier in the SOC or the OVC (or independent).

Logan would be on their own. But I don't think the TVC gets more than Warren without taking the whole group. JMO.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

rainman wrote:School Boys Girls
Athens 297 335
Logan 478 471
Gallia 253 224
Jackson 306 297
Meigs 218 177
N-Y 148 153
River Valley 186 195
Vinton Co. 290 253
Warren 279 263
Wellston 179 185
Marietta 349 356

Also, if ppl can't get over school size they should read this:

I always think its funny when people go on and on and on about Logan's size like it's the only reason Logan has success in football.

IF the size thing is so important, how come the basketball team has had about 2-3 winning seasons in the last 10 years? Why has the baseball program won about 20 total games in the last 7-8 seasons? I think the last basketball SEOAL title was 1999-2000. Baseball was 2000-2001, I think.

When is the last time the girls basketball team won the league? Been good, but I think Jessica Harris' team was the last to win the league. Volleyball? Softball has been pretty consistent..

I think it has been over 20 years since Logan won a league title in tennis or soccer.

Logan is consistently good in two sports: Football and Track & Field.

So where is all this "size" helping Logan outside of football and track?

Return to “Football”