Ironton to the OVC?

maniac66
All State

Re: Ironton to the OVC?

Post by maniac66 »

goUK wrote:i like the ovc as is. I think 4 out of conference games is good. If you add a team, that drops to 3 out of conference games. If the ovc is really down one year, ironton and portsmouth may need that extra game. I especially do not want to hear them complain about not making playoffs with a 7-3 record.
I don't think with the way it's set up now going 7-3 will keep you from playoffs.
Like I said Ironton will still schedule Ashland and maybe work on keeping Jackson on the schedule and maybe keep wheelersburg if the schedules do not conflict with each other so a strong schedule will still be possible even with 7 conference teams.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

goUK wrote:i like the ovc as is. I think 4 out of conference games is good. If you add a team, that drops to 3 out of conference games. If the ovc is really down one year, ironton and portsmouth may need that extra game. I especially do not want to hear them complain about not making playoffs with a 7-3 record.

Really down one year? Its down almost every year. Coal Grove is the only team that wins consistently every year and realistically is a playoff contender in that league. They've had to strengthen their out of conference games to be able to get a chance at the playoffs, but then they have a cupcake league schedule that kills their playoff preparedness plus instead of maybe getting a home game they get a 7 or 8 seed because winning the OVC gets you like 1 point towards the playoffs.

In the past 5 years the conference record is 131-185. Thats not good. Only 1 year did they as a conference have a winning record of 40-38 and thats only cause CG went 9-1. Which gave them a tie for the 6th seed.

Portsmouth and Ironton strengthen the conference, but outside of those two and the Hornets its a weak conference.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Fairland is gonna be competitive from here on out I think. They are strong down through the grades are are relatively young at the varsity level. Proctorville and wayne seem to be the two places kids are going that live around Huntington but don't want to go to Huntington schools.

You will find that soc schools will probably look to drop the ovc schools minus ironton, Portsmouth, and fairland. With the two additional losses the other ovc schools just accepted into the league, it makes no sense to play them.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

dragonsfan24 wrote:Addressing the transfer thing really quickly...

Currently, all but 1 of Lawrence County's 7 school districts have "Open Enrollment" while 1 (Rock Hill) has "Adjacent Enrollment"

"Open Enrollment" means that any kid that is an Ohio resident can enroll in these schools regardless of where he lives. Meaning a kid can live in Rome and go to Ironton or live in Gallipolis and go to Fairland. Rock Hill's policy, however, will only accept students from adjacent districts (Bloom Vernon Local, Dawson-Bryant Local, Green Local, Ironton City, Oak Hill Union, Symmes Valley Local.)

So let me ask you this -- those of you complaining about the enrollment policies, how many of you have expressed this concern to your elected officials who run the schools? Better yet, how many of you volunteer at the schools or support the schools through something other than athletics? Because let me be frank, honest, and a bit blunt; if you complain about kids leaving your district, but do nothing to try and help them have a better, more positive experience in your district then you are part of the problem, not the solution, and complaining about kids wanting to go somewhere they will get all of those things instead of trying to help them where they are is ludicrous and a bit selfish.
Best post I've read on here in a long time^^^^

I just don't see how this move makes transfering to Ironton any more tempting than it was before.

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

I'm all for it. Anytime you can form a league with enough teams this close to each other, it just makes sense. New rivals are formed while old ones remain and not just in football but all others as well. It looks like cooler heads prevailed with all involved. As for myself, I wouldn't be so quick to add another team this early just to have an even eight teams. Best to see how 7 works out. It may allow for more flexibility in scheduling.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

tigercannon71 wrote:

Really down one year? Its down almost every year. Coal Grove is the only team that wins consistently every year and realistically is a playoff contender in that league. They've had to strengthen their out of conference games to be able to get a chance at the playoffs, but then they have a cupcake league schedule that kills their playoff preparedness plus instead of maybe getting a home game they get a 7 or 8 seed because winning the OVC gets you like 1 point towards the playoffs.

In the past 5 years the conference record is 131-185. Thats not good. Only 1 year did they as a conference have a winning record of 40-38 and thats only cause CG went 9-1. Which gave them a tie for the 6th seed.

Portsmouth and Ironton strengthen the conference, but outside of those two and the Hornets its a weak conference.
Really? CG is awesome this year!! they are really enjoying their out of conference for sure!!!! Coal grove HAS MADE THE PLAYOFFS 3 TIMES SINCE 2001 AND GOT BLOWN OUT ALL 3 TIMES. i GUESS THAT'S PRESTIGIOUS. All schools in the ovc go through spurts. From 2000-2013 all teams won a conference championship i bet except river valley. Chesapeake was the real deal in the 2000's.

Coal grove went through the same thing that south point did and that rock hill is going through now.
2003- 1-9
2002- 3-7
2001- 3-7

Just because the region is pathetic this year, doesn't mean it will be every year. There are plenty of 7-3 teams that have not made the playoffs.
Last edited by goUK on Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

bevo
Varsity

Post by bevo »

FWIW Ironton would not have won the OVC in footbsll this year and Lutz is gone !
Good move I hope Portsmouth & Gallipolis get in as well

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

it will all come out in the wash, we'll see I suppose.

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

Well we will know more in 2015 so between now and then a lot can happen the League can become stronger or weaker but I think the league as a whole will become stronger and maybe more dedicated to each sport in ways never thought.
As time past more and more kids focus on just one sport and one sport only and unfortunately football seems to take the biggest hit for now due to the number of kids needed to field a team with any kind of depth.
But I believe this is a great move for Ironton and Portsmouth and the rest of the OVC in all sports.

I AM FORREST
Riding the Bench

Post by I AM FORREST »

FORREST SAYS: Would someone please tell the kittens that the OVC is not like the NFL!!! There is no DRAFT in the OVC so they don't have to lose all of their games hoping to get a good draft pick!!!!! Lmao :razz: :razz: :razz:

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

ytb says:get your laughs in now while you can.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

it's only been about 4 decades of dominance since the last good belly laugh.

Buckeye-4-Life
JV Team

Post by Buckeye-4-Life »

Never thought I would see the day that the OVC would let Ironton in the league, wow!

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

When Portsmouth and Ironton begin league play the OVC will be at 7 teams. Do they stay with this number or look at further expansion? If they decide to pursue further expansion do they go to 8 teams? 10 teams?

With PHS departure from the SEOAL leaving that league with only 4 schools and on shaky ground, what are the chances of the OVC reaching out to Gallia Academy and Jackson? Then going after Symmes Valley or Oak Hill. Now at 10 schools they split into two divisions.
I'm thinking the divisions would look like this:

DI
Fairland
Gallia Academy
Ironton
Jackson
Portsmouth

DII
Chesapeake
Coal Grove
Rock Hill
South Point
Oak Hill/Symmes Valley

That gives each school 4 conference games weeks 7-10.
Maybe/maybe not schedule crossover games for weeks 5-6 (these would be considered non conference games).
Long time rivalry games/non conference weeks 1-4.
What might your schools schedule look like with this scenario?

EX: Gallia Academy
Wks 1-4
Athens
Point Pleasant
Vinton Co/Meigs
Logan/Warren
Wks 5-6
Coal Grove/Rock Hill/South Point
Wks 7-10
Fairland
Ironton
Jackson
Portsmouth

Just throwing something out there looking for some discussion. What does everyone think?

Bear
Freshman Team

Post by Bear »

From what I understand, Gailia has been offered an invite recently, but turned it down. Things could change though.

dragonsfan24
JV Team

Post by dragonsfan24 »

Gallia was extended a bid at the same time as Ironton and Portsmouth but declined.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

Its not a bad idea.

South point and chesapeake would hate it as would i.

Rock hill and coal grove would love it.

Division 1
Ironton
Portsmouth
Jackson
Gallia academy
Fairland
South point
Chesapeake

Division 2
Coal grove
Rock hill
Symmes valley
Oak hill
Green
St. Joe

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

goUK wrote:Its not a bad idea.

South point and chesapeake would hate it as would i.

Rock hill and coal grove would love it.

Division 1
Ironton
Portsmouth
Jackson
Gallia academy
Fairland
South point
Chesapeake

Division 2
Coal grove
Rock hill
Symmes valley
Oak hill
Green
St. Joe
You're counting on a lot of schools jumping from the SOCI in this.

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

Don't see Oak hill leaving SOC green may not be around in a few years do to finances last I heard there was talk of them consolidating with Wheelersburg and not wanting to start a argument with this.
Symmes Valley seems happy where they are for now.
Just my thought on the matter but I wouldn't be surprised if Warren was to find a way back into the TVC that Jackson and Gallia makes a move to OVC a lot of things can still happen.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

I would like to see some green students go to rock hill, maybe that would help them a little.

Coal grove and rock hill will never vote jackson in.

The ovc would have to disband unless they make two division where the voting is seperate.

And like i said, sp and chesapeake are not looking to be in a different division than ironton, ports, and fairland.

Return to “Football”