Ironton to the OVC?

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Ironton to the OVC?

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Ive been working on my House of Horrors.

Even with Ironton and Portsmouth the OVC is a weak league. If you could pull a Galliapolis or say Jackson or even Oak Hill then the league starts to become a strong league. Now you got Ironton and Portsmouth who will be trading the championship off. Coal Grove will be in third and then the rest of the league. The SOC has been mentioned thats probably the toughest and best league around because in any given year any of those teams can win it.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

Rock Hill won't be going to the SOC1. What part of, we already have a 16 school league with no more room for expansion, don't folks understand? As far as football schools and the SOC1, it's already expanding with the addition of Eastern Pike's new program being Varsity eligible next year.

I'm sorry, maybe I'm a butthead, but it drives me nuts when people speak about a subject without knowing anything about it. I apologize.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Welcome Ironton to the OVC......of course Portsmouth would play the Fighting Tigers anyway, but it's fun to see both in the same league. I think the OVC just got a lot stronger in the last week, and even though I know it's a football forum, the basketball competition should really be good. 4 of the schools, Portsmouth, Ironton, Chesapeake, and Fairland, have made trips to the Final 4 in hoops. As for the gridiron sport, no matter what league PHS is in, we are in serious need of bringing back defense to Trojan football.

As far as making the playoffs and advancing in the playoffs, in many cases it comes down to non-conference scheduling. There will still be 4 non-conference spots available, maybe 3 if the OVC can add another school. Ironton plays Wheelersburg and Ashland on a regular basis, and those schools will give a lot points if Ironton can win those games.

Thanks to the current Ohio Valley Conference for allowing Portsmouth and Ironton to join.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I would not make any changes in the soc myself, very strong league. I was never a fan of the ovc idea. because I've always realized ironton's strength of schedule prepared them for the playoffs. but you must consider all sports and not just football.when you are playing playoff teams nearly every week, it'd great preparation for week 11 and beyond.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

2trap_4ever wrote:I have to laugh when I see and hear people say that Ironton will have a hard time making the playoffs in the OVC, haven't this years version of the Tigers kinda put that theory to bed, if a 4-6 record can get them in with (could be) wins over Oak Hill (D6) and Raceland (D5) then I think a 9-1 or even an 8-2 record playing in the OVC will get them in.

What makes you think that a 4-6 record will get Ironton into the playoffs?

Trojan_Pride
All Conference

Post by Trojan_Pride »

GalliaGrad78 wrote:
2trap_4ever wrote:I have to laugh when I see and hear people say that Ironton will have a hard time making the playoffs in the OVC, haven't this years version of the Tigers kinda put that theory to bed, if a 4-6 record can get them in with (could be) wins over Oak Hill (D6) and Raceland (D5) then I think a 9-1 or even an 8-2 record playing in the OVC will get them in.

What makes you think that a 4-6 record will get Ironton into the playoffs?
because they will be beating a 8 win oak hill team and a 6-7 win raceland team and they will get huge L2 points and this region is weak in spots 7-8 but ironton MUST win both of them games!! :122245

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

They are ranked 11th now, and if they win 2 of their last games (specifically Oak Hill) they will grab some serious secondary points and at least mathematically can creep into the 8 spot. Especially if Portsmouth West would slip.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

They are 94% according to Drew Pasteur with 4 wins.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

tigercannon71 wrote:

Thats because Ironton has beaten teams and have the chance to beat a couple pretty good football teams at the end of the year. Look at Coal Grove they have trouble making it because of a weak league schedule. I mean go look at Coal Groves schedule since 2005. They've went 6-4 7-2 numerous times and didnt make the playoffs because of a weak league schedule.
That's not the case anymore with 7 divisions now 6-4 or 7-2 and you are in.

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

The district basketball tourney draw just got really interesting. If last years draw remained the same teams it appears that the OVC would now have the same number of teams as the SOC.

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

game day wrote:
You're Tiger Bait wrote:where would rock hill go they are d5 like ironton , they need to become more competitive before another league would want them.the key to it is fix the problems you have.

I think Rock Hill would be fine in the OVC if they could keep their players at Rock Hill and find a new coach. If you know what I mean. I also think the AD's and Principles should put heat on schools when kids want to transfer within the conference. The conference will never be balanced if kids continue to transfer within the conference.
I imagine that now all the schools will, for the most part, keep their own players and the teams WILL be competitive with that simple change.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

You think Ironton gets transfers now just wait till they start winning the OVC every year. Ironton will start getting kids from all these schools.

local superstar
All State

We will see. The Lutz era is over. The coaching is leveled. The reasons are gone. If players stay at their own schools then you have a competition. I can remember Rock Hill and Ironton in the playoffs years ago and Lutz winning 14-7. So we will see. Ironton wouldn't win the OVC this year.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

You dont remember the 3 fumbles as well as Lutz only running the barest of game plans. Plus the score was like 28-14. The game was never close as you think it was.

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Local Superstar, Just curious but who in the OVC would beat Ironton this year? Is your opinion based on the injuries the Tigers suffered or simply you feel someone is better? Not starting anything just curious about your statement. Thanks!

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:Local Superstar, Just curious but who in the OVC would beat Ironton this year? Is your opinion based on the injuries the Tigers suffered or simply you feel someone is better? Not starting anything just curious about your statement. Thanks!
Fairland would beat them for sure IMO.

local superstar
All State

For sure Fairland would beat Ironton with or without injuries. Portsmouth already did. They would beat Peake and the Hill. South Point and Grove unsure. If Point still had the 2 players that went to Ironton then that game may go to Point. So just trying to emphasize if players stay with their own programs..and I believe they will. Then playing field gets fun,gates go up,rivalries get interesting and kids have a lot to look forward to and work for.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

ONE THING IS FOR SURE AFTER THIS YEAR NO MORE SPECULATING AND SECOND GUESSING YOU GOT TO PROVE IT NOW, AND SO DO THE FIGHTING TIGERS AS WELL

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Post by pembrook burrows III »

I like the move, and see it as a win-win for both the OVC and Ironton.

It certainly adds some competitive heft to the OVC, while both preserving and creating some natural rivalries that will hopefully push gates around the league. Basketball will offer some especially strong competition. Football facilities across the league are now top grade, and Fairland's big 2013 splash in football may be a sign of things to come around the OVC.

Ironton gets some much needed scheduling help for its football and basketball programs, both of which have taken to barnstorming all over southern Ohio, Kentucky, and the Columbus area for games. That has taken a toll on the school financially, and on a football program whose numbers force it to pit two-way players at virtually every position against many two-platoon system teams. Plus OVC membership will allow the Tigers to still schedule Ashland, Russell, and Wheelersburg in football for non-conference. Playoff qualification will not be a problem for any deserving OVC squad with 7 football divisions in Ohio, and 8 teams per division.

I think everyone would like to see one more strong program added to make the OVC an 8-team conference, and Gallia seems to make the most sense both geographically and enrollment-wise. But I just don't see the Blue Devils bolting from their SEOAL mates as long as that league still has life. Same with Jackson, plus its D-III status in football would make it difficult for the Ironmen to earn playoff qualification with so many D-V and D-VI opponents in the OVC. Russell, Raceland, and Fairview might make some sense, except the district football system in Kentucky was one of the reasons the old OKAC folded. If Gallia can't be lured, then maybe the OVC would look to West Virginia for an eighth - perhaps Point Pleasant, Lincoln County, Logan, Wahama, or Tug Valley (none of whom have conference affiliations).

readn,writn,&rt243
Riding the Bench

Post by readn,writn,&rt243 »

Like to see the OVC get to 8 or 10 teams. Unless the KHSAA changes the mandatory district play they will not likely be able to join. The OVC had some WV schools a few years back and don't see that EVER happening again. Nothing like having your busses, teams, players etc. have the opportunity to live the "OUT WAYNE" experience, or in Wayne for that matter.

Return to “Football”