Ironton to the OVC?

2trap_4ever
S

Re: Ironton to the OVC?

Post by 2trap_4ever »

LITTLE TIGER wrote:WHEN WILL IRONTON BEGIN PLAY IN THE OVC, 2014????
I would have to think 2015 with Portsmouth, OVC teams have already had schedules changed to cover the opening from River Valley.

cghornet10
JV Team

Post by cghornet10 »

Wow! Can't believe it really happened.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

I didn't think it would ever happen but people need to realize this is not the 70's, 80's or 90's, and Ironton is not that dominating team they once were, now I am not saying they cannot get back there which is why the rest of the OVC needs to start stepping it up because Ironton and Portsmouth are not coming into this conference with plans of finishing second to one of the current league members.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Ironton can still schedule 4 non-conference games. That means Wheelersburg, Ashland, Jackson/Gallia, etc can all still be scheduled. Also, at least one of the current OVC teams is always a decent cash-cow for points. Ironton may only be able to schedule one or two out-of-area teams a year instead of 3 or 4, but that's still better than the overwhelming majority of schools around here get. Also, if travel expenses are truly as big of a deal as some people on here make them out to be, this is a no-brainer. A lot of people - Ironton fans and OVC fans - don't like this, but the reasoning for most arguments against it stems from, as 2trap said, circumstances that were in play 30, 20, or even 10 years ago but are either not reality now or are nothing different than what goes on throughout the county/area/state as a whole.
Glad to see this finally happen.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

I would think after Ironton not wanting in the OVC for football but all other sports that the league memebers would vote no.

tl895
Varsity

Post by tl895 »

they will start football prob 2016 with scheduling and so forth to be dealt with

Manwithplan
All State

Post by Manwithplan »

Poor ole Rock Hill

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

By the year 2015 you never know who you will be saying "poor ole" about. So it very well could be that the Hill will be contenders by then

cghornet10
JV Team

Post by cghornet10 »

local superstar wrote:By the year 2015 you never know who you will be saying "poor ole" about. So it very well could be that the Hill will be contenders by then

I hope you're right and all OVC teams can get their programs up to a competitive level!

Manwithplan
All State

Post by Manwithplan »

local superstar wrote:By the year 2015 you never know who you will be saying "poor ole" about. So it very well could be that the Hill will be contenders by then
2015? Is Rock Hill going to make a coaching change?

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

Congratulations Ironton one would have to believe the word is out for one more member to join.
Wouldn't be surprised that after Gallia Academy declined Jackson looks to apply.
Didn't they look at options to try to get into the SOC and a few other conferences ?
Be interesting where it goes from here.

Trojan_Pride
All Conference

Post by Trojan_Pride »

I AM FORREST wrote:FORREST SAYS: it will happen what do u think? P.S. the meeting is this morning 9am!!!

forrest!! it dont matter to me either way ovc or no ovc but i think its a good fit!! i have been hearing this DOES NOT apply to football can you verify for all these people out there ??? I understand if its football that it be 2-3 years down road being fully into it. thanks for your input

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

manwithplan wrote:
2015? Is Rock Hill going to make a coaching change?
Who knows manwithplan, but they have asked for a loooot of years for one.Seems to me, it should happen sooner or later. And with Lutz era over, it all seems to become a level playing field.

Bear
Freshman Team

Post by Bear »

They will be in for all sports.

knightruner
JV Team

Post by knightruner »

I have always wanted Ironton in the OVC when I was playing football at South Point in the late 60's. Man I wish I was still young. Man this is great...news....

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Now that Ironton is in the OVC needs to find one more school to make it an even 8 and with all this talk of Gallia and Jackson I think people are missing the best option for the OVC and that is Oak Hill. They have been mentioned within the OVC meetings, they are an original member (if I am correct), and they are in a division of a conference that they do not want to be in due to the other school sizes. This would be the time to steal Oak Hill from the SOC just by selling them on the fact that they would be playing against Div 5 and Div 6 schools, no conf. games against Div 7. The points will be there for them it would be up to them to get them.

kevbk6222
JV Team

Post by kevbk6222 »

Unfortunate. I'll try to reserve judgement until everything is worked out, but i dont think Ironton can ever get back to being a strong football program playing in the ovc.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

2trap_4ever wrote:Now that Ironton is in the OVC needs to find one more school to make it an even 8 and with all this talk of Gallia and Jackson I think people are missing the best option for the OVC and that is Oak Hill. They have been mentioned within the OVC meetings, they are an original member (if I am correct), and they are in a division of a conference that they do not want to be in due to the other school sizes. This would be the time to steal Oak Hill from the SOC just by selling them on the fact that they would be playing against Div 5 and Div 6 schools, no conf. games against Div 7. The points will be there for them it would be up to them to get them.
I agree, adding Oak Hill to the OVC would be nice, they have been pretty good in Football the last few years. While improving the level of Football in the OVC can you imagine what a Basketball conference this would make WOW.......

knightruner
JV Team

Post by knightruner »

Oak Hill would be nice but Wheelersburg would be much better fit and that would make the OVC really tough in all sports. I could just see the basketball show now... wow!!

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

Post by Gray Fighting Tiger »

I AM FORREST wrote:FORREST SAYS: unanimous is not true, don't know where that came from? The by laws for the league say if more than one team votes no. :122248 so it takes 2 no votes
I've seen it posted multiple times here on SEOP that the vote had to be unanimous. But I accept your statement. However, I've also seen it posted here on SEOP that neither Coal Grove nor Rock Hill would vote to let Ironton in. So, which one (or both?) changed their minds, and why?

Return to “Football”