3-5 Wellston @ 1-6 Alexander

Blue Duck
Freshman Team

Re: 3-5 Wellston @ 1-6 Alexander

Post by Blue Duck »

HSFBFAN wrote:
Charles Farquar wrote:Is it true that most of Wellston's staff is working on a volunteer basis? What the heck is up with that, the coaches and kids deserve to have some money put into the Rocket program. Its tough to turn things around without support from above
Wellston pays the varsity head coach and one varsity assistant and two middle school coaches and that's it.
You are correct HSFBFAN. From a good source the assistants are volunteers,.. But they are the same assistants thats been there going on 4 years now. Even though they volunteer their time, they are as good as any other assistants out there in my opinion. Most of them have a lot of coaching experience and one has college coaching experience. They must love coaching and helping kids to volunteer that much time.

Alexander hitman
Varsity

Post by Alexander hitman »

Alexander's non league games are just fine as is..maybe nelsonville should drop Trimble next year ground buck and find a hocking team that they can have a chance at beating. Lol

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

Alexander Hitman wrote:Alexander's non league games are just fine as is..maybe nelsonville should drop Trimble next year ground buck and find a hocking team that they can have a chance at beating. Lol
Yea well not sure about Nelsonville, but Nelsonville-YORK's record against Trimble is much better than Alexander's is. I am guessing that is why Alexander dropped Trimble. :lol:

Alexander hitman
Varsity

Got them back next year buck, since you brought that up ...

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

Alexander Hitman wrote:Got them back next year buck, since you brought that up ...
So go ahead and chalk up another one in the ole "L" column against them then. :lol:

Alexander hitman
Varsity

Wow you are really on a roll today hating on them Spartans...
nelsonville will probably be much improved next year so maybe you won't be so bitter. Lmao

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

As an impartial observer with no ax to grind or any skin in the game, or any ulterior motives, I'll say this.

Alexander will play hard, regardless of what has been previously stated, whether they like their coach or not. Now, will they be victorious? Don't know, that is why they play the games. Been a long season in Albany, actually, two long seasons in Albany. Some of the villagers over there came out on a crusade after a couple of long boys basketball seasons and wanted to burn Blaine at the stake. Well, they did get their way (sort of) and he left. Will be interesting to see if the same type of activity occurs with the supporters after another losing season in Albany. Not that I'm trying to stir up crap, I'm not. That said, another losing season is the elephant sitting in the room that the administration is probably going to have to deal with.

The Spartans could very well end up 1-9 this year and whether that was expected or not, I do not know. Haven't seen any of the Spartan faithful on here screaming under achievement or bad coaching or calling for Arno's head, but you never know how things will play out after the season. There have been some comments from regular posters about Arno, but just passing comments in which I put no weight.

Regardless, hope that it is a competitive game in Albany, both teams play hard, and injury free. Good luck to both teams and we will see how the remainder of the season plays out for both squads.

miss_baller5*
Waterboy

Post by miss_baller5* »

Alexander is better than what their record shows, and I see them taking this in a close one....

Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

Blue Duck wrote:
HSFBFAN wrote:
Charles Farquar wrote:Is it true that most of Wellston's staff is working on a volunteer basis? What the heck is up with that, the coaches and kids deserve to have some money put into the Rocket program. Its tough to turn things around without support from above
Wellston pays the varsity head coach and one varsity assistant and two middle school coaches and that's it.
You are correct HSFBFAN. From a good source the assistants are volunteers,.. But they are the same assistants thats been there going on 4 years now. Even though they volunteer their time, they are as good as any other assistants out there in my opinion. Most of them have a lot of coaching experience and one has college coaching experience. They must love coaching and helping kids to volunteer that much time.
It is all about the kids. You get what you pay for. Some people are very naive if you think the current assistants know what they are doing. This is a big problem with southeastern ohio football. Very little qualified assistant coaches out there that can teach fundamentals and technique. Good staffs have many assistants that desire to be head coaches.

Charles Farquar
JV Team

Post by Charles Farquar »

I was not making a comment about the knowledge and abilities of the the Wellston staff. My comment was that it reflects either the economic situation of the district or that the board and administration are not investing in Wellston athletics. The head coach and his assistants are obiviously working hard under difficult circumstances.

Blue Duck
Freshman Team

Post by Blue Duck »

Charles Farquar wrote:I was not making a comment about the knowledge and abilities of the the Wellston staff. My comment was that it reflects either the economic situation of the district or that the board and administration are not investing in Wellston athletics. The head coach and his assistants are obiviously working hard under difficult circumstances.
You said it,.. The ADMINISTRATION does not care nor are they investing anything into the wellston football program. Most of the programs funding comes from the big w booster. They have one coach on staff that gets paid. The players lifted 4 days a week during winter workouts with no heat in the field house because the Head of the administration said they didn't have the money to fix it. This same person has gave herself a raise every year and makes $40,000 more than what she did when the board hired her in 2010. They spent $80,000 on a new bus garage facility, but it wasn't to state code so now its just a storage building. Money was just poured into the administration building for it to be remodeled. All this money going out and the school system is supposedly so broke that whenever the football coach ask for a bus to take the kids to a 7-on-7 and powerlifting meets, she said they didn't have the money. So the coach, out of pocket, rented some vans to take the kids to those events. The school is 2 miles from the field house and all the players have to pile into the cars of players that drive to get over to practice because they cant afford a bus to bring the kids over to practice. They refused to put a water fountain in the field house because of money, they can afford to put cameras in there, one of which is a live stream from the weight room that feeds to the superintendents office.

wrestlersdad6766
Freshman Team

Post by wrestlersdad6766 »

Blue Duck wrote:
Charles Farquar wrote:I was not making a comment about the knowledge and abilities of the the Wellston staff. My comment was that it reflects either the economic situation of the district or that the board and administration are not investing in Wellston athletics. The head coach and his assistants are obiviously working hard under difficult circumstances.
You said it,.. The ADMINISTRATION does not care nor are they investing anything into the wellston football program. Most of the programs funding comes from the big w booster. They have one coach on staff that gets paid. The players lifted 4 days a week during winter workouts with no heat in the field house because the Head of the administration said they didn't have the money to fix it. This same person has gave herself a raise every year and makes $40,000 more than what she did when the board hired her in 2010. They spent $80,000 on a new bus garage facility, but it wasn't to state code so now its just a storage building. Money was just poured into the administration building for it to be remodeled. All this money going out and the school system is supposedly so broke that whenever the football coach ask for a bus to take the kids to a 7-on-7 and powerlifting meets, she said they didn't have the money. So the coach, out of pocket, rented some vans to take the kids to those events. The school is 2 miles from the field house and all the players have to pile into the cars of players that drive to get over to practice because they cant afford a bus to bring the kids over to practice. They refused to put a water fountain in the field house because of money, they can afford to put cameras in there, one of which is a live stream from the weight room that feeds to the superintendents office.

One thing that is misunderstood about what the district does and doesn't spend their money on is that fact that many of the things you have mentioned are things that have been done through grants that were specifically applied for and granted for those things, Wellston applies for many grants and does not get all of them because they go to all sorts of districts throughout Ohio. Things are tough in this area they always have been and always will be. Now I don't know much about the superintendents pay raises but most raises are granted through the school board and it isn't like she just says hey I need another raise, it does not work that way and it never will. Also, a bus does drop player's off at the field after school their are two buses designated for players to ride and the bus lets them off at the stadium.

Blue Duck
Freshman Team

Post by Blue Duck »

wrestlersdad6766 wrote:
Blue Duck wrote:

One thing that is misunderstood about what the district does and doesn't spend their money on is that fact that many of the things you have mentioned are things that have been done through grants that were specifically applied for and granted for those things, Wellston applies for many grants and does not get all of them because they go to all sorts of districts throughout Ohio. Things are tough in this area they always have been and always will be. Now I don't know much about the superintendents pay raises but most raises are granted through the school board and it isn't like she just says hey I need another raise, it does not work that way and it never will. Also, a bus does drop player's off at the field after school their are two buses designated for players to ride and the bus lets them off at the stadium.
I understand this. But the kids should not have to go through winter workouts with no heat and should not have to bring bottled water everyday because of no water fountain. Coaches should not have to pay out of pocket to take the kids to 7-on-7's, while there is high dollar camera systems going in the fieldhouse that has no heat. the issue about pay raise is public info on a public website. And yes the school board had to ok it, which makes them in the wrong as well.

wrestlersdad6766
Freshman Team

Post by wrestlersdad6766 »

One thing that is misunderstood about what the district does and doesn't spend their money on is that fact that many of the things you have mentioned are things that have been done through grants that were specifically applied for and granted for those things, Wellston applies for many grants and does not get all of them because they go to all sorts of districts throughout Ohio. Things are tough in this area they always have been and always will be. Now I don't know much about the superintendents pay raises but most raises are granted through the school board and it isn't like she just says hey I need another raise, it does not work that way and it never will. Also, a bus does drop player's off at the field after school their are two buses designated for players to ride and the bus lets them off at the stadium.[/quote]
I understand this. But the kids should not have to go through winter workouts with no heat and should not have to bring bottled water everyday because of no water fountain. Coaches should not have to pay out of pocket to take the kids to 7-on-7's, while there is high dollar camera systems going in the fieldhouse that has no heat. the issue about pay raise is public info on a public website. And yes the school board had to ok it, which makes them in the wrong as well.[/quote]

The camera's are paid for through grants also which is why they are their. I do agree with coaches shouldn't have to pay to better the program but when a district struggles with money towards their transportation when it comes to fuel and buses it isn't the best idea to spend more money. also when a bus a driver is contacted in the summer they also have to pay them which is more money being taken away from the school district. Also, as for the heat issue that problem has been relevant for years now and is something that will cost a lot of money to fix which again they do not have, if you don't believe me look up a HVAC system for a building that size. Their are many schools in this area that struggle with the same things Wellston does yet they can produce winning programs, The administration is doing the best they can yes they make mistakes as all school districts do, but I promise you they are doing the best they can with as little as possible with proof coming from inside the class room which is really what the focus should be. Wellston can continue to improve on the field as long as they keep pushing themselves too instead of blaming it on lack of resources because again I promise you we are not the only district in this area that has these issues.

Cougar Lover
Waterboy

Post by Cougar Lover »

Sorry to hijack this thread, but this needs to be said. I have read a lot of talk on here about Athens running the score up on Alexander. I was wondering if anyone remembers this season:

Alexander 2011
8/26 A Eastern (3-7) [6:23] W 41-6
9/2 H Huntington (0-10) [5:20] W 62-22
9/9 H Unioto (4-6) [4:15] W 35-0
9/16 A Frontier (0-10) [6:23] W 80-14
9/23 A River Valley (2-8) [4:15] W 35-0
9/30 H Vinton County (1-9) [3:12] W 53-15
10/7 H Wellston (5-5) [4:15] L 14-27
10/14 A Athens (10-1) [3:12] L 7-40
10/21 H Nelsonville-York (9-2) [5:19] L 0-53
10/28 A Meigs (6-4) [4:15] W 14-0

Unofficial Region 19 Standings

Official OHSAA Standings

Take a look at the underlined score above. I don't remember anyone from Alexander getting on here and saying their coach ran the score up against Frontier. I have a relative who played on that Frontier team, and know that they shook hands, tightened up their chin straps, and moved on with no cries or complaints about having the score ran up. I guess things have a way of coming back around for folks don't they? ;-)

Alexander hitman
Varsity

I think if you look back at most if the post you will find that it's not the
Alex fans on here complaining about the score lol.

Alexander hitman
Varsity

Let's go Spartans !! Best of luck Seniors !!

Blue Duck
Freshman Team

Post by Blue Duck »

Great win Rockets!! Gonna be a battle in McArthur next week!!

Return to “Football”