Week 12 Region 9: #1 Athens vs. #4 Tri-Valley

WhitieTidies21
Waterboy

Re: Week 12 Region 9: #1 Athens vs. #4 Tri-Valley

Post by WhitieTidies21 »

First time posting. Even though I don't have a dog in this fight, I thought I'd add my 2 cents. I'm almost nervous to jump into these shark infested waters but here I go... haha

Now I will say from the beginning that I am a supporter of Columbus Marion-Franklin... not Tri-Valley or Athens... With that being said, I think TV will win this one and this is why....

I was almost convinced that Athens was the dominate team in Region 9.... and then week 11 came. Athens allowed Logan Elm to score 55 points...wow. I watched Logan Elm play Hamilton Township in the final game. I can't say that I was too impressed with their offense. Never believed they were capable of putting up 55 points... and could almost guarantee it wouldn't happen against Columbus Brookhaven, Tri-Valley or Columbus Marion-Franklin. The fact that Athens allowed that many points to an offense that I witnessed not being great and making a lot of mistakes tells me that there is a serious issue with the Athens defense. Yeah, Athens put up 74 points against Logan Elm, but again I was not impressed with their D against Hamilton Township. HT dominated the line of scrimmage in that game. If it weren't for the rain that night, I think the score would have been a lot higher. What I do know about Tri-Valley year in and out, their defensive line is always big and strong. Even though they are not as good as they have been, I think their defense will step up enough to slow down and disrupt the Athens potent offense. Athens WILL score in this one. I just think Buttermore will out coach. I also don't think this will be an extremely high scoring game.

As much as I would love to see a rematch of Tri-Valley and Marion-Franklin, I will be happy with whoever makes it to week 13 from this game. Whoever makes it in to week will be facing a STRONG Columbus City League opponent...hopefully, Marion Franklin. Now I think Marion Franklin should beat Brookhaven, but it's the playoffs and you never know!! Now, if the winner of this matchup is facing Brookhaven, you will be facing a LOT of speed on offense. Their defense has gotten better with each game They have came a long way since the start of the season. Marion Franklin and Brookhaven played in week 2. MF won 27-2. Now if you are facing Marion Franklin in week 13, you will be facing a team that began the season relying on it's defense. Now the defense is MUCH better! The Marion Franklin defensive starters have given up ONLY 6 touchdowns this entire season, which includes the win last week vs. Dover. The offense started out sputtering due to injuries and off the field issues. It is now ON FIRE! QB Justin Tyler has became a dual threat. MF has a ton of speed on offense and defense. Dover, in particular, relied on their spread offense. Marion Franklin's defense was able to disrupt their QB, causing him to rush passes. Columbus Marion Franklin is the Columbus City League south champion. Columbus Brookhaven is the Columbus City League north champion.

Whoever wins the Athens/Tri-Valley game will have their hands full in week 13.
Last edited by WhitieTidies21 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

MF .... I don't have a dog in this fight either. But stop with the psychology, lol. I've seen film on everyone in the region. M-F is the favorite , hands down. Brookhaven isn't bad, and ,yes they do have speed, but you will beat them. I look for the Scotties to control both LOS and cruise to a win, setting up a TV- MF final. I assume you are all healthy. Very impressed with your 255 lb. RB but more so on the D side of the ball where he will line up anywhere. If he has grades , he'll be a shoo in to play at the next level. However, stop with the City League hype. Couple of good teams but overall, unimpressive. You guys dance thru that mess every year. 8)

WhitieTidies21
Waterboy

Post by WhitieTidies21 »

Never ever claimed the city league was great...not even good. Never even made it seem like they were :? . As you will see in other forums, I am a realist. However, If that's what you took from it, I'm sorry you interpreted it that way. All I was doing was letting those who don't know anything about MF and Bhaven, a little about the two potential teams they may face You can feel free to watch as much film as you'd like. I witnessed every game in person. I know how MF started and I know I wouldn't have favored them for anything. As the season progressed, so did the team. Now when it counts, they are looking good. Look here, paladin. This is the playoffs and at this point, any team can win on any given night. No psychology here. I've have been to every MF game in the past 10 years. There are games they were favored to win and did not. There have been games that they were favored to lose (last week for example) and they did not. I am not looking past Brookhaven, nor are the coaches or the team. I THINK Marion Franklin will win but nothing is guaranteed.

fridaynightiger
Waterboy

Post by fridaynightiger »

Okay, new to this forum as well, and a TV (the true Dawgs ;-) supporter. I am very impressed with what I have seen in highlights of the Athens offense. A bit odd that there is no highlights of their defense. While everyone knows that TV's schedule is probably a bit tougher than Athens', the Bulldogs are still 11-0, and should be the favorite in this game. TV cannot stop this offense. They can, however, slow it down. Athens will not run inside the tackles against them. Unfortunately, TV has struggled against the pass, though they have made huge leaps forward in the past month.
I can tell you that Athens absolutely has not seen an offensive or defensive front like Tri-Valley's, nor have they faced a manster like Prouty. When he is in on defense, they will have to double or triple team him to stop him, and then everyone else comes knocking because the have great line play and are 7 deep. On offense, Athens will have to move their playmakers to the other side, because they are just not going to do anything against he and Miller. The best running back on the field might surprise you and be #8 from TV, and I would put Mohler of TV up against any of the wideouts Athens has. Right now, TV's QB, Fargus, is playing as well as his predecessor Strock ever did- and he is now on scholarship at Kent State.
This game kind of reminds me of the Stanford-Oregon game last week, except that TV has a much better offense (relatively speaking) than Stanford. Athens better have their chinstraps on tight, because they haven't seen this kind of physicality.
This has the makings of a great game. I am not sure if TV can keep up with the Bulldogs' video game style.
Oh, one thing that did bother me on here was that someone said in an early post that Athens would have the edge in coaching staff. They must have Urban Meyer, because Justin Buttermore and his staff have not been schooled in at least 5 years. This guy is as good as they get in the HS ranks. We at TV are shocked that we still have him, and he has surrounded himself with like-minded assistants.
Good luck.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

coldawg wrote:We at TV are shocked that we still have him, and he has surrounded himself with like-minded assistants.
We do have one of your former assistants calling plays at Athens. We are definitely glad he decided to come home, not to mention the wealth of football knowledge he brought with him.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

MF

Dover was favored over MF last week ? And you said that with a straight face ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The #2 seed vs. the #7 ? You need to take that comedy show on the road to Vegas ! You'll be favored in every game in this region. And I got some ocean front property to sell you in Youngstown. 8)

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

I forgot all about Nate White being at Athens. So I guess both teams will be a lot more familiar than normal. TV threw a lot more when he was at TV. I also think it helps TV because I assume he still runs a lot of stuff TV runs or used to run.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

teach1coach2 wrote:93,
I forgot all about Nate White being at Athens. So I guess both teams will be a lot more familiar than normal. TV threw a lot more when he was at TV. I also think it helps TV because I assume he still runs a lot of stuff TV runs or used to run.
Coach White I believe coached down in Georgia, and then Florida, before returning to Athens ... He may have picked up a few different things along the way - so don't expect the exact same stuff that was run at T.V ... ;-)

Iggy25
Waterboy

Post by Iggy25 »

Paladin wrote:Absurd comments. That's what this thread is about. Athens has 5-6 D-I players on the team ? Really ? I've watched film on Athens. They have ONE legtimate player -- Burrows. Name the other D-I college players please. And before you name your RB, uh, no he isn't. Many of you are clueless as to what a D-I player looks & plays like. The college coaches don't miss finding them. Watch Prouty, the OT for TV. He has already verbaled to Kent St. to play center May give you some idea what a player should be other than a playmaker like Burrows. Year after year, dominate ( for SEO ) teams come and go with none or maybe one D-I player on it, but its often a player that goes D-II or III. And then we get to read the clueless chatting about how the player was "missed" in recruiting because he was from SEO. If you are D-I, they find you. If you are "hyped" to be a D-I. you are looked at. But then the offers don't come. KNow why ?

Because clowns on a message board promoting players as D-I prospects don't carry any weight with coaches who do evaluations all the time and see players from all over the U.S.

Now who are those D-I players for Athens and what position do they play so everyone can see the "stars" ?
I have seen many D1 players. TONS. In fact, my senior year of HS, my team had 7 D1 (mostly MAJOR D1 prospects) plus just about all the starters went D2 or D3 and start. I have seen plenty. Trae will be a MAC recruit, I have no doubt in my mind. It is also Burrow, not Burrows.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

LoganLocos wrote:And before you accuse me of some kind of anti-Athens bias, I have been saying this for years about Logan kids too. Learned a lot when Joey Conrad, Derek Harden, and Matt Mong couldn't get D1 looks.

Those guys all performed at the next level, but only one at the top level.

Conrad ended up setting an NCAA record for total offense playing at D2 Glenville State, Derek Harden was a three-year letterman at Ohio State (walk-on) and Matt Mong was a 3-year letterwinner at the University of Dayton (1-AA Non-Scholarship).

Every school thinks their stars can play D1 football. Truth is FEW really get the opportunity. Burrow's gonna get that chance. Trae Williams might.

And that should be good enough to keep anyone happy.

Most all schools are focused on their class of 2014 right now. Wait until spring and you will see the move in offers and then in rankings. And Paladin, Williams will be on a FBS football field in two years. Would you care to wager?

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Pol Pot wrote:
LoganLocos wrote:And before you accuse me of some kind of anti-Athens bias, I have been saying this for years about Logan kids too. Learned a lot when Joey Conrad, Derek Harden, and Matt Mong couldn't get D1 looks.

Those guys all performed at the next level, but only one at the top level.

Conrad ended up setting an NCAA record for total offense playing at D2 Glenville State, Derek Harden was a three-year letterman at Ohio State (walk-on) and Matt Mong was a 3-year letterwinner at the University of Dayton (1-AA Non-Scholarship).

Every school thinks their stars can play D1 football. Truth is FEW really get the opportunity. Burrow's gonna get that chance. Trae Williams might.

And that should be good enough to keep anyone happy.

Most all schools are focused on their class of 2014 right now. Wait until spring and you will see the move in offers and then in rankings. And Paladin, Williams will be on a FBS football field in two years. Would you care to wager?
Neither, Burrow or Williams are listed or rated by SCOUT Recruiting Service, Now maybe in the future, but not now!

Green Beagle
JV Team

Post by Green Beagle »

If Athens has that many college prospects on this team and they dont get past round 2 they should fire the staff after the game! :122245

Tyler_Durden
Freshman Team

Post by Tyler_Durden »

Boy, I'll bet all the Athens fans are just hoping they can keep the game close and not be blown out. They're obviously an enormous underdog in this game and have no idea what is about to hit them... in for a huge wake-up call on Friday night. It'll probably be like some Jr. High team going up against a college team... pretty lopsided in talent and delusional about what their players are capable of. They don't realize they've been watching subpar football all year. Look out Bulldogs... you don't have a chance against a big team that likes to hit hard and plays in a different geographic portion of the state. You guys have just been playing flag football all year compared to everyone else. Good luck!

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

Green Beagle wrote:If Athens has that many college prospects on this team and they dont get past round 2 they should fire the staff after the game! :122245
Just what I was thinking Beagle.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Every year we get these dumb comments about the D-I "prospects" in SEO and each year.................................. well, you know the story. Bitching, complaining about how the coaches "missed" out on all the D-I talent down there. I'll stand by my evaluation. We'll hear the moaning & groaning shortly again.. Never fails. That's why this place is so entertaining. It keeps right on giving ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

Paladin wrote:Every year we get these dumb comments about the D-I "prospects" in SEO and each year.................................. well, you know the story. Bitching, complaining about how the coaches "missed" out on all the D-I talent down there. I'll stand by my evaluation. We'll hear the moaning & groaning shortly again.. Never fails. That's why this place is so entertaining. It keeps right on giving ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
We're glad you are entertained, we got ya. Now can we just go with that, knowing how you feel, without you continuing to post telling us how you feel, and telling us how entertaining we are? JJ Huddle is calling, they miss you... :lol:

Tyler_Durden
Freshman Team

Post by Tyler_Durden »

Yeah man, I hear you. Everything is so much better in other parts of the state, especially way up north. Heck, $#!% don't even stink up there! It's truly amazing. I know how you feel man, people just can't believe it until they experience it firsthand. It's just all around better. People are smarter up there. More stable up there. More intellectual up there. Stronger up there. Food tastes better up there. Grass is real bright green compared to down south. Water is clearer. It's absolutely incredible the difference between everything up north from everything in SEO. All those poor saps down south don't have any clue...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I believe they have better looking women too - and own only pure bred dogs - no mutts allowed I've been told.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Paladin wrote:Every year we get these dumb comments about the D-I "prospects" in SEO and each year.................................. well, you know the story. Bitching, complaining about how the coaches "missed" out on all the D-I talent down there. I'll stand by my evaluation. We'll hear the moaning & groaning shortly again.. Never fails. That's why this place is so entertaining. It keeps right on giving ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You will never here me saying that Paladin, but I can flat out guarantee you these two will be DI players, quit your petty jealousy against kids. You are right, there are many good H.S. players who are not FBS or FCS material. However both of these young men fit the physical and mental profile, and have the skill set to go along with them. I'll put any amount of wager on this that you want, right here in public!!!! Put your money where your mouth is or shut the hell up!

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

I think you missed my point lol, imagine that, I was agreeing with LoganLocos comment in that there are very, very few D1 players. The Williams kid at Jackson is the only one I can remember since Fenik in 1982, other than a few linemen here and there. Think we had one in 1981 Rick Milburn (???spelling) go to Toledo. But other than that they are far and few between.

Reagan Williams will go as a Linebacker (he has been offered at OU and Kent State), and as I recall that is what Mark Fenik went to Miami as also a linebacker.

We have had a bevy go to Ohio Dominican, Otterbein, Capital, etc. but a major D1...that is a whole different story.

This weeks game with Athens and TV is going to be exciting. We are going to find out a lot.

Return to “Football”