Week 12 Region 9: #1 Athens vs. #4 Tri-Valley

loganlocos
SEOP

Re: Week 12 Region 9: #1 Athens vs. #4 Tri-Valley

Post by loganlocos »

Falcon89 wrote:Paladin, check out how many D-1 schools there are in college football please. It seems that you are thinking of the Alabamas and the FSU there are more than that and those programs are looking for kids like that. And be careful as to who you say doesn't know what D-1 players look like as you don't know me and I as well don't know you. Burrow is a D-1 As well as Trae Williams, Luerhman is one raw but one, the the Wiseman kid can be one and is only a sophmore. Ok you got me there are four. And last I checked every MAC school is D-1. And you don't know what i know with that being said may the best team win.
I think Paladin specifically mentioned ONE school. They are a member of the MAC.

Just did a quick scan of the top scouting services across the country. Only one Athens player has an OFFER from a D1 school, and that is Joey Burrow. But even he doesn't have a star rating from Scout or Rivals.

Yes, they are only JRs, but this is the time schools start to get very serious about recruiting players. Nearly 50 quarterbacks have a star rating from SCOUT from the junior class already.

We (including myself) who post on message board put WAAAAAY too high of expectations on kids. The reality is that a VERY small percentage of kids will actually play Division One football.

Some of the best high school players you will ever see WILL NOT go D1. Often times there HUGE lineman that are just average in HS end up the stars at the next level while the kid 60 points lighter who dominated him in HS won't go anywhere.

A kids value at the HS level should NOT be judged by whether or not he goes D1.

Let's enjoy kids for what they are - great high school players. And then we even get to follow the very best at the next level, and that's great.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

And before you accuse me of some kind of anti-Athens bias, I have been saying this for years about Logan kids too. Learned a lot when Joey Conrad, Derek Harden, and Matt Mong couldn't get D1 looks.

Those guys all performed at the next level, but only one at the top level.

Conrad ended up setting an NCAA record for total offense playing at D2 Glenville State, Derek Harden was a three-year letterman at Ohio State (walk-on) and Matt Mong was a 3-year letterwinner at the University of Dayton (1-AA Non-Scholarship).

Every school thinks their stars can play D1 football. Truth is FEW really get the opportunity. Burrow's gonna get that chance. Trae Williams might.

And that should be good enough to keep anyone happy.

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

About the Game...

Athens does have a lot of 'Teachable Moments' to fix from the Logan Elm game. That is a good thing. Like Raider said there are positives to pull from the Logan Elm game to fix the negatives.

Athens Special Teams was a problem. They allowed several big plays on kick returns, allowed an on-side kick to be recovered, and the Punt Return team struggled to field the punt and block the opposition from getting down the field most of the night...
SPIN: All fixable, guarantee the Athens coaches have worked or will work on this during the week, and the Special Teams did have a TD, a Trae Williams Kick Return in the 1st Quarter...

Athens Offense put up 74 points, the 2nd Highest Total of the season behind their (83) output v. Alexander in Week Seven. They used a pretty balanced attack with Trae Williams rushing for 150 yards and 4 TD's powering the Ground Attack and Joey Burrow finding 5 different WR's for TD's. Ryan Luehrman led the way catching 2 TD's and going over 100 yards receiving. Williams also added 2 catches for over 100 yards and 2 TD's receiving. Sam Vander Ven, Adam Luehrman and Heath Wiseman all added a TD as well...
SPIN: The Bulldogs Offense had several drives stalled, 2 by the way of turnovers (fumbles) that resulted in added pressure to the Defense. The Offense is responsible for Athens Defense allowing the most points scored on their D this season...

Athens Defense allowed a season high 55 points and allowed Senior RB Cory Heeter for the Braves to have a career night with 7 TD's. The Braves connected on 3 big 3rd and long drives via the air and 1 3rd and long on the ground. That is a concern for the Bulldogs Defense. The Braves found a weakness in the Bulldogs Secondary and went after that weakness on ever 3rd and long play and had a high rate of success. The Braves were more successful on the ground, but had the big plays in the air to keep drives moving...
SPIN: Athens Defense did step on some drives to force punts and forced a few turnovers, one big one inside their own territory. The Offense did not help them much with the turnovers, but the did have problems stopping the big play...

This Could be the Athens/Shawnee game where the last team has the ball wins...
These are two very good teams that have tons of skill on both sides of the ball....
I can't wait to see how both Coaching Staffs Gameplan for this dandy!

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

93Bulldog wrote:None of the players can commit because they are all junior's and soph's.

Seeing as most people in Athens live within minutes of Pedan Stadium - my guess is they know exactly what a D1 player looks like.

Burrow and Williams are guaranteed D1 football players. Other than that, we'll have to wait and see how the other young pups develop over the next year.
This should really be a separate thread, but schools can offer scholarships to underclassmen and underclassmen can commit whenever they want.

Now, signing of letter of intent? They can't do that until the February after their senior season, and that's when its binding.

(Except for this new rule about a financial aide agreement, but that's a whole new can of worms).

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

I helped recruit for two D-I colleges and have for 20 years. I recommended Patrick Angle from Logan to D-I Youngstown St. and they signed him. But even he was the back-up for several years before transferring to Ohio Northern ( D-III) where he now starts. You have no idea how foolish many of you look promoting kids on SEO teams as being D-I players, not to mention having 5-6 on ONE TEAM . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep, you don't know me but I get a quick read of how clueless many of you are shooting your mouth off on a message board with no background or experience in recruiting D-I players.

Just watch Prouty, the OT from TV. He'll be at Kent St. They plan to play him as a Center. You might learn something

BA11A
Waterboy

Post by BA11A »

I too have been in the recruiting arena, just further up north and I think I can spot some talent and I to know the difference. I guess we can agree to disagree with one another. But you see how I didn't attack you about this and that cause I don't know your credentials but also realize who you may be talking to as well.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I don't give a rats behind who plays where.

I just want Athens to go out and play hard versus Tri-Valley and hopefully pull out a W.

nuff said.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Paladin wrote:Just watch Prouty, the OT from TV. He'll be at Kent St. They plan to play him as a Center. You might learn something
Alex McCrory, the tailback at Shawnee, went to a MAC school. Big deal.

I'm sure Athens won't be scared of a lineman going to one either.

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

That is the point Athens just has to go and play hard and not worry who is going where on the other them or where they plan on going next year them self's.
Allowing someone like Paladin to run this thread in the ground over Athens talent just brings everyone down.
These are young talented High School kids wanting to win for the moment this is something they may never experience again who cares if they have any player Div. 1 caliber or not I am sure they could care less about that as we should.
Good Luck Athens play hard and smart and continue that march to a state tittle win or lose just do it with Honor and Class and know you have not only a Irontonians support but many others.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

this thread isn't about the kids. Its about clueless fans. Dumb clueless fans.

5-6 D-I players for Athens ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nybucks70-80
Varsity

Post by Nybucks70-80 »

Paladin wrote:I helped recruit for two D-I colleges and have for 20 years. I recommended Patrick Angle from Logan to D-I Youngstown St. and they signed him.g
Is YSU D1? I thought they were 1AA or football subdivision .

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Paladin wrote:this thread isn't about the kids. Its about clueless fans. Dumb clueless fans

You included?

BA11A
Waterboy

Post by BA11A »

I'm trying to be very respectful on this thread, like I said before I don't know you and you don't know me and to start throwing names around like dumb. I am very educated in the world of academia and the world of football. But I do know the world of just plain no nothing and that is were you belong.

SOHSP
Freshman Team

Post by SOHSP »

I am new to this forum - brand new. I joined up because I am so freaking excited about his game I can't stand it! I get on here and see a bunch of people making negative comments and running each others players down. This is high school football guys!

Listen, I am an avid Bulldog fan. I hope like hell that they win. They are truly some of the best kids around, but I am sure the same holds true for Tri-Valley - great kids with lots of skill. Let's enjoy this for what it is - a special high school football game between two teams fortunate enough to get this far.

If Tri-Valley wins then great for them. If Athens wins - I will be tickled to death. But either way we all win by getting to watch these young men. We should consider ourselves lucky to get enjoyment from watching them. And by the way, the game is played on the field, not a forum board.

Go Bulldogs! Show them what you can do. The community is proud of what you all have accomplished either way. I can not wait until Friday night!

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

I got everyone registered that sent me a message. Email me if you want to join the forum seopstaff@yahoo.com

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

So, here comes the other TV fans. Be nice guys, we are visitors here :)

Since we are talking D1 players, TV will have its 6th since 2007 next year. Adam Bice (2008) was the starting center for Akron. He was with a couple NFL teams in the preseason. Made it to the last cut with Arizona. He now helps coach at TV. Should not be hard to pick out on the sideline. Ryan Spiker (2009) went to West Virginia as a linemen. He left college after a year. Clay Cameron (2010) was a walk on at Akron (uhm, might have been Kent) as a WR, but a shoulder injury ended his career. Matt Amicone (2012-K) was a preferred walk on at Ohio University and is now on scholarship. Nate Strock (2013-QB) is at Kent State and he will be joined by Collin Prouty (2014-linemen) in the fall. TV has a host of solid linemen. Prouty is the only senior. ALSO, Cam West (2008) was a starting DB for Mt. Union. He is also back at TV coaching. TV has had some other really great HS players playing D3. (Hey TV fans, let me know if I missed anyone or messed up any of the info.)

TV has been to the playoffs 7 of the last 8 years and 5 years in a row now. Based on results at all levels this year, there is 4 or 5 years (at least) left on this playoff run. NO matter the result on Friday, this match up has a good chance of occurring again next year.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

One other comment, the first couple years TV made it to the playoffs, quite a few of the area "fans" would tell the TV fans how they were going to get beat. Kind of reminds me of a lot of the seo folks comments about Athens on here. I know not all of the folks posting are from TVC schools, but I find it funny when the people in your league are telling you the league is not good. Kind of reminds me of something from my childhood (and I was raised and graduated from a TVC school.). A couple of brothers who lived in my town and came from a pretty dysfunctional family used to get in fights with each other and while they were beating the crap out of each other, they called each other Mo**** Fu*****s. Neither was bright enough to figure out they have the same mom and were not saying nice things about her. ;)

I want TV to win and I think TV will win, but taking Athens lightly or disrespecting them is just stupid. Support your local teams. Congratulate them when they win and thank them for their efforts when they don't.

Go Dawgs (the scottie kind)!

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Gecko
Varsity

Post by Gecko »

good luck to the dogs from the cats. hopefully we both can march on to week 13.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

LoganLocos wrote: Just did a quick scan of the top scouting services across the country. Only one Athens player has an OFFER from a D1 school, and that is Joey Burrow. But even he doesn't have a star rating from Scout or Rivals.

Yes, they are only JRs, but this is the time schools start to get very serious about recruiting players. Nearly 50 quarterbacks have a star rating from SCOUT from the junior class already.

We (including myself) who post on message board put WAAAAAY too high of expectations on kids. The reality is that a VERY small percentage of kids will actually play Division One football.
The Williams kid (OU and Kent State) at Jackson a junior LB this year is the only one I can remember, other than a few lineman in the 90's, since 1982 when Mark Fenik went to Miami of Ohio also as a linebacker.

Return to “Football”