Minford 2014

High Plains Drifter
Freshman Team

Re: Minford 2014

Post by High Plains Drifter »

doubleplay643 wrote:
Charles Farquar wrote:Love to watch a well executing Wing T team, even if it's Minford. Its a thing of discipline, precision and beauty. I like the ability of being able take a team of lesser size and talent and drilling them to be able to execute enough to run a better team off the field. Then if you have tough hard nosed kids, it's even better. It's a sequence system, with a lot of answers to what a defense is doing. A defensive end squeezes down to stop the fullback down play and sets himself up for the wingback blocking down on him in the buck sweep. Play action passes for every series, the passes feed off defensive secondary reactions. Like the book says it's not a bunch of random plays it's an ORDER OF FOOTBALL. Another thing to think about, you see a lot of spread teams who are not very good on defense, matter of fact, some of them are down right soft. Teams that are hard nosed running teams more often than not have a carry over to defense, you see some hard hitting on those teams.
Best post of this page...when it it is understood by the players and executed well, it can be astonishingly successful offensive scheme.
Agreed, just didn't seem to get some of the breaks or luck either that normally comes our way. Daniels will correct a lot of this and will be contenders this year.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Understand Minford will replace Portsmouth on

Gallia Aacademy's schedule in 2015. Believe it will be first time the schools have ever met in football.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Jottings wrote:Understand Minford will replace Portsmouth on

Gallia Aacademy's schedule in 2015. Believe it will be first time the schools have ever met in football.
That's a great matchup!

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Since minford has increased in enrollment, I think Gallia will be a great add. Lots of points to the winner.

Anonymous_Falcon_Fan
Freshman Team

Post by Anonymous_Falcon_Fan »

The Oaf wrote:
Jottings wrote:Understand Minford will replace Portsmouth on

That's a great matchup!

Agreed!! If true, that would be a great way to start strengthening the Falcon schedule.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

The Oaf wrote:
Jottings wrote:Understand Minford will replace Portsmouth on Gallia Aacademy's schedule in 2015. Believe it will be first time the schools have ever met in football.
That's a great matchup!
Gallia Academy is a giant step in the right direction. If Gallia is replacing PHS for Minford in 2015, that means Minford got rid of Rock Hill. Smart move!! I don't think there are too many that would argue with that.

Charles Farquar
JV Team

Post by Charles Farquar »

You do realize with the internet and sites like Huddle, most teams have an opportunity to see their competition on video a lot before playing them. In the case of playoff games it is a state rule that you have to give the opposing team quite a bit of video , so the competition is quite familiar with EVERYONE'S offensive scheme before they play them. You can have too much film on an opponent the way things are today, and drive yourself crazy getting ready. Its not surprise plays that win games. Oh every now and then someone will throw in a surprise play during a game, and catch someone off guard, but it is not the bread and butter of that team. Football games are won by blocking, tackling and execution of the offense and defense. Think about the Lutz era, when you played them you knew what was coming but you had to stop it. T formation Belly, 2nd back through, quick pitch, dive and maybe a counter every now and then, it was very effective because of execution. He did it for years. A friend of mine who was a defensive coordinator once even went as far back as the 1980s and looked at film, he found Lutz was doing the same things, but you had to stop it. In preparing to defend the Wing T you can set yourself up by being concerned about too much. You only have so much practice time and you can spread yourself thin. Stop one play you open yourself up to another one. Many teams even abandon their base defense , trying to come up with genius schemes to stop the Wing T. Didn't that Columbus team beat the Burg at the Nelsonville playoff game running quite a bit of Wing T? I'm sure Burg knew exactly what they were going to do before the game.

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

Exactly Charles.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

^ I agree Charles. Lutz never changed his style, he just ran it to perfection and could find that one weakness in a defense and keep running at it until the defense adjusted. Lutz didn't go jumping back and fourth between offensive styles and would only throw a few passes a game when defense would start to load the box too much.

In regards to the Bishop Hartley/ W'burg playoff game, I believe Hartley only threw one pass and ran the Wing-T Jet series with Bellys, Traps, and Counters. The Counter off the Jet and Belly, is what ate the W'burg defense alive.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

You win by being in shape with execution, discipline, and talent. Ironton teams for 30 years and that Hartley team could have run any system and did well because they had better talent than most teams.

Minford had an excellent line this year. One that rarely comes along. They should have been able to run power at anyone. They tried to get cute at times and it cost them.

But on the other hand that same Ironton program minus Lutz doesn't have the same talent advantage that they once had. Even they have had to change their approach to try and cover up their deficiencies.

Charles Farquar
JV Team

Post by Charles Farquar »

I only saw Ironton play this year one time in person and then on video vs. the Burg. I do not think their athletes dropped off that much. What I saw was a lack of discipline on the field. They did things you would not have seen a Lutz coached team do. The Wing T is an offense that is tailored to make up for lack of talent or size. Everything is predicated on blocking angles, trapping and misdirection in the offense. It has answers for what a defense does and is sequence football. A friend of mine once told me , it is probably the best offense to be in if your team is small , slow and not athletically gifted. On the other hand if you have a Mauk like at Kenton for the QB and three or four athletes at receiver and run the spread, plus the defense to back it up, you might make it to Canton. If you are average to not that good the spread can be an UGLY thing to behold on some Friday nights.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Charles Farquar wrote:I only saw Ironton play this year one time in person and then on video vs. the Burg. I do not think their athletes dropped off that much. What I saw was a lack of discipline on the field. They did things you would not have seen a Lutz coached team do. The Wing T is an offense that is tailored to make up for lack of talent or size. Everything is predicated on blocking angles, trapping and misdirection in the offense. It has answers for what a defense does and is sequence football. A friend of mine once told me , it is probably the best offense to be in if your team is small , slow and not athletically gifted. On the other hand if you have a Mauk like at Kenton for the QB and three or four athletes at receiver and run the spread, plus the defense to back it up, you might make it to Canton. If you are average to not that good the spread can be an UGLY thing to behold on some Friday nights.
Charles F. If you think Ironton had same type of athletes you have been hitting the crack pipe on the East end of Huntington.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Pol Pot wrote:
Charles Farquar wrote:I only saw Ironton play this year one time in person and then on video vs. the Burg. I do not think their athletes dropped off that much. What I saw was a lack of discipline on the field. They did things you would not have seen a Lutz coached team do. The Wing T is an offense that is tailored to make up for lack of talent or size. Everything is predicated on blocking angles, trapping and misdirection in the offense. It has answers for what a defense does and is sequence football. A friend of mine once told me , it is probably the best offense to be in if your team is small , slow and not athletically gifted. On the other hand if you have a Mauk like at Kenton for the QB and three or four athletes at receiver and run the spread, plus the defense to back it up, you might make it to Canton. If you are average to not that good the spread can be an UGLY thing to behold on some Friday nights.
Charles F. If you think Ironton had same type of athletes you have been hitting the crack pipe on the East end of Huntington.
You always were a Mouthbreathing POS Pol Pot.....

courier
All Conference

Post by courier »

The Minford vs Gallia matchup is an excellent move! Win or lose, playing equal or better talent can only make you better. :aaaaa41

falcon1
Varsity

Post by falcon1 »

Plan to attend May 22nd LIFT-A-THON. great food,get a good look at this years team, and great fund raiser for the football program. :mrgreen:

Anonymous_Falcon_Fan
Freshman Team

The best possible way for your team's offense to succeed is NOT determining what offense to run, but being able to evaluate EXACTLY what kind of talent you have (from the offensive line to all skill positions) and then, from there, actually MAXIMIZING all the talent that is available. If you have 5 o-linemen that are absolute road-graders, then, by all means, feature the run game in your offense. If your o-line is not built to be said road-graders, then, IMHO, that team should change the offense up a bit. What if your offense features not only o-line and RB's, but also good receivers and a talented mobile QB?? The offense will reach it's true potential ONLY IF it maximizes all talent within the offense. If not, then the team is selling itself short. For the life of me, to this day, I still don't understand how a team does not use all aspects of football on offense.

big-train
Freshman Team

Post by big-train »

coaches teach what they know and feel comfortable with is there years you need to adjust a bit yes but if want a running minded coach to go spread or vise versa prob not gonna find that.

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

The only thing that baffled me last year was not lining up and running behind McCray and Madden more than they did. Especially them not going unbalanced more with them both on the same side of the ball. The West game is a prime example.

Anonymous_Falcon_Fan
Freshman Team

big-train wrote:coaches teach what they know and feel comfortable with is there years you need to adjust a bit yes but if want a running minded coach to go spread or vise versa prob not gonna find that.

I believe you misunderstood me big-train. Again, it doesn't matter what formations you base your offense out of (Run-heavy, pass-heavy, etc.), you still should use all talent and all aspects of the game (run & PASS) to get the best possible results. It never hurts to try...... :idea:

big-train
Freshman Team

Post by big-train »

no I understood you perfectly,but what you and a lot of fans want too see is a balanced attack,in a perfect world that would happen coaches in this county don't have the pick of the litter so again a coach will go with what he knows and go with it and try to get good at it
for the most part and there has been a few exceptions,the majority of teams around here are either run heavy or pass heavy rarely will you ever even see a 60-40 distribution
ps you should been a fan in the late 80s early 90s then you would have something to rant about ;-)

Return to “Football”