Russell KY Football

outsider
Freshman Team

Russell KY Football

Post by outsider »

I know that this is mainly about Ohio football but seeing how Russell is just across the river. But some of the southern Ohio schools play them so I thought that I would mention that Russell's head has retired leaving an job opening at a good program.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Russell KY Football

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I heard ivan was fired, which if true is awlful after his years of service. please tell me that ain't so.

outsider
Freshman Team

Post by outsider »

From what I gathered from two different sources it was like a non-volunteer retirement. The word was that there were some health issues used for the decision.

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

McGlone has been a great Coach for Russell. Wonder if any of the assistants are interviewing for the head coach?

philthyphil
Varsity

Post by philthyphil »

Slate clean for new Red Devil head football coach

The Daily Independent Sat Jan 18, 2014

FLATWOODS — As expected, the future of the entire Russell football coaching staff is in question.

A day after the school announced that Ivan McGlone was no longer the head coach after 38 seasons, the remaining paid assistant coaches received notices regarding their status for next year.

Each assistant was given a letter stating that his contract had been fulfilled for the past year, since contracts are made on a year-to-year basis, and his salary for the next year would reflect the void of previous coaching compensation.

Basically, the slate is wiped clean in order for the new head coach to make staff decisions. This is considered common practice, and several may even return as assistants.

Jeff Smith, who played and coached for McGlone, decided to retire from coaching. He will remain an educator through next December.

“Other than my time in college or the six years that I left to start Fairview’s program back, I have played or coached with Ivan for 24 years,” said Smith, who was Fairview’s head coach from 1998-2000. “He has been like a second father to me. Even as much as I will miss the players and Friday nights, I don’t see myself coaching without Ivan.”

Garry Morris has been on the staff since 1997, after coming over from Lawrence County. Most of his stint was served as defensive coordinator. The Red Devils’ defense was continually a main reason for their success, especially in the mid-2000s. During Russell’s state runner-up season in 2006, it tallied four shutouts.

Morris, Russell High School’s Dean of Students, said the way McGlone’s legendary run ended was unsettling.

McGlone said on Thursday that he was offered a farewell season for both 2013 and ’14, but turned down the grand exit both times. The 75-year-old wasn’t ready to stop coaching, but Russell elected to go in a different direction.

“I’m frustrated and sad about how the whole ordeal played out,” Morris said. “I realize, however, that change is inevitable, but rarely easy. Obviously, this is not easy. I want to thank Coach McGlone. The great times far outweigh the not so great, and that’s still the case.”

Morris assumed the spot that Smith left vacant upon his departure to Fairview in 1997. Smith rejoined the staff in 2003.

Like Smith, Morris also referred to McGlone as family.

“I can’t remember when we first met, and that’s because I feel like, much like a father, he’s always been there,” Morris said. “Simply put, to me, he’s family.”

Morris has been rumored as a candidate to take over the program.

In response to those rumors, Morris said, “I’m not even thinking about football at all right now.

“Right now, I’m no longer a football coach,” he added. “I did not retire, I did not submit a letter, but right now I’m not a coach.”

The 50-year-old said he has a seventh-grade daughter who will also play a major role in any future decisions.

Tracy Edwards, one of the longest-serving assistant coaches ever in the area, hopes to have a decision in front of him. He spent 27 seasons as part of the staff with McGlone.

“I live and breathe Russell football and, if the opportunity arose, I would certainly be thrilled and for sure consider it,” said Edwards, who played his final season at Russell in 1975, a year before McGlone became head coach. Edwards joined the staff in 1987.

“I missed playing for him by one year,” Edwards said. “That sure would’ve been fun to play for him and then coach with him, too ... It’s certainly been an honor to coach with him and spend as much time as I did with him.”

Other (paid and unpaid) assistants on last year’s staff included Lee Evans, Dave Caniff, Buford Hurley, Chris Castle, Rhese McKenzie, Leslie Johnson and Tony Pierce.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I think I can speak for all or most of the ironton fighting tiger fans and say we thought the world of ivan mcglone.and will miss him, we realize he had health issues, but seemed like a real stand up guy.

coaches like him and bob lutz are irreplaceable

outsider
Freshman Team

Post by outsider »

The job was posted on the schools web site on January 22nd and will come down February 20th it was not posted on the KSHAA site. It should be a great opportunity for the next guy. It will be tough filling the shoes of Coach McGlone like it has with Bob Lutz at Ironton and Ed Miller at Wheelersburg. Its hard when you have a great coach around that long people get used to them being around so long they never think of them ever retiring. Good luck Red Devils

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

This is a great opportunity for someone.

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

Post by Gray Fighting Tiger »

philthyphil wrote:... Tracy Edwards, one of the longest-serving assistant coaches ever in the area, hopes to have a decision in front of him. He spent 27 seasons as part of the staff with McGlone.

“I live and breathe Russell football and, if the opportunity arose, I would certainly be thrilled and for sure consider it,” said Edwards, who played his final season at Russell in 1975, a year before McGlone became head coach. Edwards joined the staff in 1987.

“I missed playing for him by one year,” Edwards said. “That sure would’ve been fun to play for him and then coach with him, too ... It’s certainly been an honor to coach with him and spend as much time as I did with him.”...
I worked with Tracy Edwards years ago, in his pre-coaching days. I wish him success if he indeed becomes the next head coach.

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

I will be shocked if TJ Maynard isn't the next coach at Russell

Return to “Football”