Portsmouth West Football 2014

Kay
Waterboy

Re: Portsmouth West Football 2014

Post by Kay »

Sider_PC wrote:In the 2012-13 season we scrimmaged Nelsonville York and Ironton, and had a Jamboree game with Wilmington. NY replaced Gallia. Last year we were supposed to scrimmage Wellston and Ironton with no Jamboree , but Wellston canceled.
I'm new to southern Ohio: however I did grow up here. I have to ask...what is the difference between a jamboree game and a scrimmage? Is this just an attempt to make more money. I remember the old SVAC. Every team in the league would travel to Cheshire and play two quarters. It was pretty awesome. Everyone, even the players, had a chance to watch the other teams. Why couldn't the SOC and OVC do something like that.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Treebeard wrote:
Sider_PC wrote:In the 2012-13 season we scrimmaged Nelsonville York and Ironton, and had a Jamboree game with Wilmington. NY replaced Gallia. Last year we were supposed to scrimmage Wellston and Ironton with no Jamboree , but Wellston canceled.
I'm new to southern Ohio: however I did grow up here. I have to ask...what is the difference between a jamboree game and a scrimmage? Is this just an attempt to make more money. I remember the old SVAC. Every team in the league would travel to Cheshire and play two quarters. It was pretty awesome. Everyone, even the players, had a chance to watch the other teams. Why couldn't the SOC and OVC do something like that.
I think the OVC still does.

A jamboree game is played just like a real game with 4 quarters and down and distance. Most of the time, the game is played to raise money for a charity. Scrimmages are normally done with sets of plays followed by some down and distance.

playa_44
JV Team

Post by playa_44 »

I heard the coach has a new West logo with Sparty look alike?

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

what?

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

Crab's brother wrote:
Treebeard wrote:
I think the OVC still does.

A jamboree game is played just like a real game with 4 quarters and down and distance. Most of the time, the game is played to raise money for a charity. Scrimmages are normally done with sets of plays followed by some down and distance.
You can't charge for a scrimmage and the coaches are on the field. the Jamboree can charge and coaches are not allowed on the field and downs and score are kept.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

playa_44 wrote:I heard the coach has a new West logo with Sparty look alike?

He wants nothing to do with reference to Siders. They are not even allowed to do Sider jumping jacks now they have to do Senator Jumping Jacks. The chosen one has taken care of that for the new Coach.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

game day wrote:

He wants nothing to do with reference to Siders. They are not even allowed to do Sider jumping jacks now they have to do Senator Jumping Jacks. The chosen one has taken care of that for the new Coach.

Does that mean I have to make a new account!? ;)

In all seriousness, I am in support of the new administration and staff. However, I think it will be very tough to implement all of this without some push-back.

Most businessmen, coaches, or anyone who has changed the mindset, attitude, and outlook of organization will admit that making sweeping, sudden changes over night is a very dangerous thing to do. When you run the risk alienating/underminding the majority of your clientele (in this case parents, fans, and boosters).

A change in mindset needs to take place over time, especially at a place like West. People have to "buy into" a piece of the new product before they have the whole thing.

Over the course of a six months we have: changed head coaches, removed all former staff, changed the way weight training is operates, and changed the identity (removing siders from the program) of an entire school that is the backbone of the community. I know there were things going south in the program, and the new staff has to bring its own identity, but this seems a little knee-jerk.
One must remember this is Appalachia and that culture is not one that adheres to sudden change very well.

I know from experience and I have made these types of mistake as well. I honestly, hope everything goes greatly and this change is positive. But, to stay at West long term, its critical gain support in the community and make them feel like you care about them. While these changes are done in good intentions (I'm sure) I feel that the community will become oppositional. Not being a critic, just making an observation.

local superstar
All State

Will baseball and basketball have to use the new assistant coaches logo or is it just football? Did they get it approved by the BOE? Hmm you would think (and no disrespect to the brother of the coach) that they would make it more like Ohio State instead of Michigan State. Lets hope they win a lot of ballgames.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

local superstar wrote:Will baseball and basketball have to use the new assistant coaches logo or is it just football? Did they get it approved by the BOE? Hmm you would think (and no disrespect to the brother of the coach) that they would make it more like Ohio State instead of Michigan State. Lets hope they win a lot of ballgames.
Surprisingly, I'm in complete agreement with this.

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

Even more surprising, I'm in agreement too!??! But three years ago softball did add a girl logo instead of the guy, but it was mostly the girls that wanted it though it is still the same wardrobe.

dragonsfan24
JV Team

Post by dragonsfan24 »

Anyone know why Fairland v. West was moved from the first week of the season?

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

I think it had to do with Northwest coming off the schedule this year and they had to work in another game.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

sider wrote:
game day wrote:

Does that mean I have to make a new account!? ;)

In all seriousness, I am in support of the new administration and staff. However, I think it will be very tough to implement all of this without some push-back.

Most businessmen, coaches, or anyone who has changed the mindset, attitude, and outlook of organization will admit that making sweeping, sudden changes over night is a very dangerous thing to do. When you run the risk alienating/underminding the majority of your clientele (in this case parents, fans, and boosters).

A change in mindset needs to take place over time, especially at a place like West. People have to "buy into" a piece of the new product before they have the whole thing.

Over the course of a six months we have: changed head coaches, removed all former staff, changed the way weight training is operates, and changed the identity (removing siders from the program) of an entire school that is the backbone of the community. I know there were things going south in the program, and the new staff has to bring its own identity, but this seems a little knee-jerk.
One must remember this is Appalachia and that culture is not one that adheres to sudden change very well.

I know from experience and I have made these types of mistake as well. I honestly, hope everything goes greatly and this change is positive. But, to stay at West long term, its critical gain support in the community and make them feel like you care about them. While these changes are done in good intentions (I'm sure) I feel that the community will become oppositional. Not being a critic, just making an observation.
Very well said!

But if you removed the entire coaching staff from last year what message did you send. There were some good coaches on the staff that had strong ties to the community. The one coach that the BOE put in place this year has never even coached a high school football game. That does not mean that he can't be a good coach but experience is very important during the game. I just don't understand what message the BOE is trying to send but I feel they have their heads where the sun don't shine. Not following any formal process to assure that everyone gets a fair chance at the coaches openings means they are not looking for the best coaches for the kids. If the administration continues to let this go on I hope they have a good back up plan if the WEST SIDERS don't win. But maybe that is it they don't care and they have 2 puppets they need to run their football program their way. Good luck WEST SIDER kids and parents because it could be a long year!

ohiostbucks99
Freshman Team

Post by ohiostbucks99 »

It is time for a wholesale change unless you like to be mediocre

dreamweaver
Varsity

Post by dreamweaver »

The coach with us now has criticized the program for years so I am figuring he knows way more than all those guys last year anyway. If the new program does well part of the contribution to that will be the varsity experience of these players. They will be one of the most experienced teams in the SOC this year.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Blah Blah Blah Blah

dragonsfan24
JV Team

Post by dragonsfan24 »

OSU 77 wrote:I think it had to do with Northwest coming off the schedule this year and they had to work in another game.
Gotcha.

We have River Valley coming off the schedule this year and Ironton and Portsmouth not being added on until 2015 (?) so I'm sure it was much easier to shuffle the existing contract in the middle of conference play and look for a new contract in Week 1.

local superstar
All State

Westfan wrote:Blah Blah Blah Blah
:122245 you are as biased as the best of them. One thing for sure a lot of differences of opinion on the Senator Side.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Somebody with 3 or 4 names on a message board means nothing.

I've been told they've had up to 86 kids out for lifting. That's the majority that speaks.

local superstar
All State

Yawn. :lol: That could be anybody bro. It is great to have that many kids out. One thing everyone has at their best interest is players. I doubt that changes with all the opinions at any school. That is what these boards are for to share opinions. Good bad and ugly.

Return to “Football”