WEEK 5: JACKSON (4-0) at WHEELERSBURG (4-0)

doubleplay643
S

Re: WEEK 5: JACKSON (4-0) at WHEELERSBURG (4-0)

Post by doubleplay643 »

4th n Goal wrote:
Oakie_Dokie wrote:Sad that this game is in wheelersburg, seating sucks! Just would be so much better at Jackson!
Jackson has a beautiful huge stadium, but with the size you lose a lot of the atmosphere! Sure Jackson has more seating, but to say the seating at Burg sucks is a stretch. This game will probably be standing room only, but if I remember correctly, when Jackson came to Burg in 2012 and were 2-2 there was plenty of seating available for all of the Jackson fans who made the drive down.
As much as it pains me to say the Burg pre-game and game atmosphere is a great high school experience, and Jackson administration could take a page from the Pirates and make Alumni Stadium a very similar experience if they so desired.

Alumni Stadium is a fantastic venue, just got to liven it up a bit with some music, festivities and pump some life into the crowd lol....Jackson pre-game has an AC/DC and Bob Seger music vibe lol circa 70's and 80's...Burg meanwhile is a little bit more current and up tempo and they carry that all through the game.

Both great places to play, I give the overall atmosphere to Burg, but would be the first to say we could be right there with them if we implemented a few changes and livened things up.

Hope we can keep the dang cannon quiet. Go Ironmen.

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

How many D1 potentials does Jackson have?

IRONMENFAN
Freshman Team

Post by IRONMENFAN »

Regan Williams #6 has commited to Stanford. Ironmen defense wins this game in a close battle! And did I read a post from piketon fan who said welcome to real football? Soc has 3 teams that are historically competitors piketon not being one of them.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

The last time Jackson beat wheelersburg was in 1984! 14-12 was the final in that game!!!

IRONMENFAN
Freshman Team

Post by IRONMENFAN »

We have not played in the regular season for years except for the last few. With that being said you sure lost a lot of preseason games to the IRONMEN! But hey it's a new year we will see Friday night!!!

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

This series needs to be renewed for another 3-4 years, big gates on both places, reasonable travel, and usually a significant amount of playoff points are available. Win-win all the way around for each school.

Jackson down to a 4-team league next year and has to fill 7 non-league games, be nice to renew the Burg series, anyone know if this is being discussed.

PHS75
SEOPS HOF

Post by PHS75 »

If ironmenfan could just point out to me where I mentioned anything about Piketon in my post I would be much obliged. I believe I only spoke of Jackson and Burg when I posted. I do not think this will be a close game. There better be some ventilation fans ordered to clear the heavy smoke from the cannon.

Charles Farquar
JV Team

Post by Charles Farquar »

Have seen both teams play and think this will be the first real test for both teams. It will not be a walk over or run away game for Burg. Scrimmages don't count in the official win loss stats but over the years it has been back and forth in the preseason between to the two teams since 1984. It has been a good series for both teams.

Piratefan2
Varsity

Post by Piratefan2 »

Come on people, jackson beat waverly 23-0....WOW!!!! Da Burg will probably beat waverly 40s or 50s to maybe a score or two. jackson is an ok team but just not good enough to beat the Pirates this year either! Im hoping for a good game but come second half, the ironmen will get down on their selves and Da Burg will pull away with a nice size win! now i'm thinking the score will be something like 35-14 PIRATES

schmittie32
Riding the Bench

Post by schmittie32 »

BurgGrad_06 wrote:Jackson is FAR better than youre giving them credit for. I am rooting for an SOC win, but this is going to be a seriously tough game. Burg @ home will be enough to get the job done I think.

Pirates 24
Ironmen 21
I guess we will see.. I'm just saying Jackson beat a 4 teams that are mediocre.... But has beat 1 good team and still hasn't been tested. IMO burg is a very close second to Athens. If burg doesn't beat Jackson by a minimum of 2 TDs then burg won't make it very far in the playoffs. Burg is on a whole other level than most teams around this year and I don't think they will be tested until the playoffs. Not saying that the valley or west game won't be good games because they are rival games, but burg will win those soundly as well.[/quote]

I watched burg vs ironton and ironton went up and down the field on burg but mistakes in red zone (penalties, turnovers) cost them so I think Jackson will be able to run on burg at will...also ironton was extremely undisciplined I defense and imploded in 3rd quarter...it'll come down to red zone execution and being disciplined on defense(burg runs spread with a lot of misdirection plays) for Jackson and burgs ability to stop the run and force Jackson into obvious passing situations...Burg 31-21

IRONMENFAN
Freshman Team

Post by IRONMENFAN »

According to joe eitel, the burg and Ironmen are tied with level 1 points but the Ironmen have more level 2 points than the burg. I think the burg finds out what a real defense that swarms to the ball looks like Friday night! Go IRONMEN

IRONMENFAN
Freshman Team

Post by IRONMENFAN »

According to joe eitel, the burg and Ironmen are tied with level 1 points but the Ironmen have more level 2 points than the burg. I think the burg finds out what a real defense that swarms to the ball looks like Friday night! Go IRONMEN

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

Calpreps Projection.
neutral field
[2014] Wheelersburg (OH) 28, [2014] Jackson (OH) 20

Drew Pastuer has Burg as a 3 point favorite
Week 5: H vs #95 Jackson (4-0, D3 R9) 57% W (3 pts)

This is by far the best game in the area. Should be a tremendous game

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

schmittie32 wrote:
BurgGrad_06 wrote:Jackson is FAR better than youre giving them credit for. I am rooting for an SOC win, but this is going to be a seriously tough game. Burg @ home will be enough to get the job done I think.

Pirates 24
Ironmen 21
I guess we will see.. I'm just saying Jackson beat a 4 teams that are mediocre.... But has beat 1 good team and still hasn't been tested. IMO burg is a very close second to Athens. If burg doesn't beat Jackson by a minimum of 2 TDs then burg won't make it very far in the playoffs. Burg is on a whole other level than most teams around this year and I don't think they will be tested until the playoffs. Not saying that the valley or west game won't be good games because they are rival games, but burg will win those soundly as well.
I watched burg vs ironton and ironton went up and down the field on burg but mistakes in red zone (penalties, turnovers) cost them so I think Jackson will be able to run on burg at will...also ironton was extremely undisciplined I defense and imploded in 3rd quarter...it'll come down to red zone execution and being disciplined on defense(burg runs spread with a lot of misdirection plays) for Jackson and burgs ability to stop the run and force Jackson into obvious passing situations...Burg 31-21[/quote]

IMO..... Burg was to well conditioned for Ironton to play 4 quarters with. And Burg swarmed to the ball all night. Palladino who has rushed for 649 yds on the year only obtained 50 of those against The Pirates. To say Jackson will be able to "run at will" is a stretch. I look for Burg to make many methodical drives in the first half to wear down the Jackson D to prepare for the cannon show in the second half. Not taking anything away from Jackson, They will score their share. But in the end it's all DA' BURG

BURG 42
Jackson 20

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

I have been waiting for someone to talk about the trenches this week. Are we going to have an epic battle between 2 superior lines? What does Jackson bring to the table? I know Burg has 4 seniors, one of which has started for 3 years (I believe #71) and he seems to be the go to guy when it comes to shifting to an unbalanced line. They also have a Junior at center. Will Jackson have the same experience coming into Friday? More? Less?

96stroker
JV Team

Post by 96stroker »

gonna say Jackson 31-10 over the berg Defense is stingy

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

96STROKER wrote:gonna say Jackson 31-10 over the berg Defense is stingy
:lol: :lol: :lol: Burg averages 48 ppg. You gotta give them more credit than that. That offense is way to powerful. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old Bulldog
Freshman Team

Post by Old Bulldog »

I have been looking forward to this game to gauge how good both these teams are. This Wheelersburg team may be as good as last year. Time will tell. Jackson likes to line up and run the ball so it could be interesting in the trenches. The Burg D Line will need to bring their big boy pants if the Jackson O linemen are anything like Ironton's.
I'll say Burg by two scores.

courier
All Conference

Post by courier »

Neutral observer...The Burg's offense is well balanced and the QB is very accurate on timing routes...If Jackson can't get to him it will be a tough game for the Ironmen to win...No predictions but there hasn't been a drop off from Burg's offense of recent years..The defense is quick, very quick...

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I'd shore like to see this battle of giants.

Return to “Football”