Week 6: Athens (5-0) @ Steubenville (4-1)

Dundas
SEOPS

Re: Week 6: Athens (5-0) @ Steubenville (4-1)

Post by Dundas »

Bulldog.. worry about next year, next year. Enjoy what you are witnessing in the present. Everyone wishes they could have this kind of talent regardless of where they were born. I couldn't think of a program that deserves this kind of success more than Athens. The whipping boy of not just the SEOAL, but southeast Ohio in general for years is now mightier than anyone has been in a long, long time.. maybe ever! Enjoy it and worry about next year after this one is over! I know that's the way I'd look at it!

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

93Bulldog wrote:
Ultron wrote:It will be interesting to see how Athens does the next couple of years with out Burrows.
They obviously will take a hit losing 22 seniors, but what team doesn't have a drop off after a class like this?

Athens will still have some good football players next year on the field, though.

You may see a few lean years after 2015, but there are some good classes coming up, especially when this 6th and 7th grade group/teams mesh together.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Did someone just compare Joe Burrow to Cozart and Grandy?

And to think I was about to turn on Fox News to get my morning laugh.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

93Bulldog wrote:Did someone just compare Joe Burrow to Cozart and Grandy?

And to think I was about to turn on Fox News to get my morning laugh.
I get my laugh from msnbc and cnn now they are funny!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Dundas wrote:Bulldog.. worry about next year, next year. Enjoy what you are witnessing in the present. Everyone wishes they could have this kind of talent regardless of where they were born. I couldn't think of a program that deserves this kind of success more than Athens!
HA! I'll be in Oak Hill this Sunday afternoon to watch the 6th graders try and improve to 6-1 on the season. Never take one eye off the future, Dundas. You should have learned this from coach Combs already.

:mrgreen:

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

moonshine wrote:I get my laugh from msnbc and cnn now they are funny!
LOL

Hey, I do like 'The Kelly File' weeknights at 9:00 - but it has nothing to do with her reporting.

;-)

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

MSNBC is a laugh especially with Al (I stick my nose in everything) Sharpton. I sometimes watch it just at amassment of how stupid he really his.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

NO didn't compare them to Burrow just said they got the same type of hype on here. You laughed at only 3? Willaims, Burrow and Grant grew up in a football family, hung out with the colleges, workout learn and that's a big advantage.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

93Bulldog wrote:
Dundas wrote:Bulldog.. worry about next year, next year. Enjoy what you are witnessing in the present. Everyone wishes they could have this kind of talent regardless of where they were born. I couldn't think of a program that deserves this kind of success more than Athens!
HA! I'll be in Oak Hill this Sunday afternoon to watch the 6th graders try and improve to 6-1 on the season. Never take one eye off the future, Dundas. You should have learned this from coach Combs already.

:mrgreen:
I'm trying to think......... Which team was it that blew out both of your youth teams this year?

I was hoping you could remind me. :mrgreen:

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Your 3rd and 4th graders also beat Burrow and Co. way back when too ...

Just sayin ...

lol

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

93Bulldog wrote:
moonshine wrote:I get my laugh from msnbc and cnn now they are funny!
LOL

Hey, I do like 'The Kelly File' weeknights at 9:00 - but it has nothing to do with her reporting.

I am also a big fan of Megan!

;-)

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

This is all pretty ridiculous with regards to Burrow, Barrett and the Ohio State offense.

For one, the only reason anyone thinks Barrett is a better "running QB" than Burrow, or that one is an athlete playing QB while the other is a passer, is because one is white and one is black. In fact, I would argue that Joey Burrow and JT Barrett are very similar, except that Burrow is taller and has a better NFL frame. Both are very accurate passers, both have good arms but not rockets (by NFL standards), both are pass-first QBs, both are intelligent, both are leaders, and both are effective runners and can be used in the running game.

Obviously, the Ohio State offense/Urban Meyer (now influenced by Tom Herman) offense can run well with a pass-first QB, as long as the QB is a threat to pick up yardage on the ground - ie. Burrow, Barrett, and Alex Smith. In fact, Tebow wasn't even a blazer. He was a steady runner with great power. I think Braxton Miller is the only freakish runner Urban Meyer has used at Utah, UF or OSU, and Miller was recruited by Jim Tressel.

As for Torrance Gibson from Florida, from all accounts, if he goes to OSU, he will be given a shot at QB. However, even the "insiders" who love him, think he is eventually a WR - and the best WR in the country.

BTW - on the "Ask the Insiders" Ohio State Scout board, there is a 5-page thread about Burrow. The most highly regarded "insider" (because of his connections in the OSU program) has been posting that OSU LOVES Burrow and thinks he is the hidden gem in the class. They think he is a bigger, more advanced at his age, JT Barrett.

greyhoundsbob
Waterboy

Post by greyhoundsbob »

I could be mistaken, but wasn't Kaheim Maxwell a product of the OU/Athens connection as well?

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Football fan wrote:
questionmark wrote:
athens78 wrote:and to think if his dad and Williams dad hadn't moved here to coach this conversation wouldn't be happening. It would be happening in Texas or else where. Thank goodness Frank brought them here!
And to think if Rocky Boots wasn't in Nelsonville, or Holzer Hospital in Jackson, or the Golden Corral in Gallipolis....Ohio University is just another Business...these Coaches are Townees and the kids are Bulldogs through and through...they have been here 10 years.

God Forbid someone actually give credit to this Coaching Staff and the rest of the other Bulldogs for having a Solid Program...everyone always has an excuse for Athens success...

Why was Logan so good for so many years? Dale Amyx....
What about that program Athens just beat in Stuebenville...Coach Reno

Ryan Adams and his Staff have done an amazing job building Athens into a Solid Program...
Golden Corral. WTF you were on a roll till you used that one.
It was an inside Joke. My old Baseball Coach loved Golden Corral and we made it a tradition to eat there every baseball season after playing Gallia Academy....

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Prince of Darkness wrote:I could be mistaken, but wasn't Kaheim Maxwell a product of the OU/Athens connection as well?
In reverse, Maxwell was an Athens boy who went to Ohio U. That is the connection. Very similar to Roush from Meigs going to Ohio U. Same connection.

greyhoundsbob
Waterboy

Post by greyhoundsbob »

questionmark wrote:
Prince of Darkness wrote:I could be mistaken, but wasn't Kaheim Maxwell a product of the OU/Athens connection as well?
In reverse, Maxwell was an Athens boy who went to Ohio U. That is the connection. Very similar to Roush from Meigs going to Ohio U. Same connection.
Maybe that is what I was thinking. It's been a while.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Nope. Kaheem went to grade school at East with me - they were here all along.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

93Bulldog wrote:Your 3rd and 4th graders also beat Burrow and Co. way back when too ...

Just sayin ...

lol

Just keeping my eye on the future ;) lol
Just sayin

Return to “Football”