Week 6: Athens (5-0) @ Steubenville (4-1)

kvnchambers
Varsity

Re: Week 6: Athens (5-0) @ Steubenville (4-1)

Post by kvnchambers »

It pains me to say this. But Athens wins this game convincingly. I think you cannot underestimate what burrow committing in off season did for him. seeing him mature from his first start the last team beating him during regular season until now. He has improved by leaps and bounds. I also think no one can underestimate what it does for that whole team for burrows to have nothing to prove. He really seems just as happy handing it off 30 times as throwing it 30 times. If Steubenville blitzs all night I sure hope they have 5 guys that can cover. it is a mistake for people to compare this team to past teams. This is a team with one goal and purpose and everyone has bought in will they accomplish it I don't know but it will take a much better team to beat them then ever before.

the biggest misconception about this team is that they are a finesse tram. I understand for aa long as I can remember Athens has been a team like that and good teams could get physical with them and beat them that way
. This team is now tough and physical and smart. nothing not even racial remarks have caused these kids to lose their cool....
I think they win this week. I know there are other good teams in this region but Athens toughest competition may be just down the road in Jackson. That is the best really good team no one is really talking about.

Region 15
JV Team

Post by Region 15 »

In my opinion from reading the replies, is this the best team in Athens school history, better then last year?.......This is just a very, very, very average Steubenville team, probably not even a top ten team in the last 15 years.

seoconstruction
Freshman Team

Post by seoconstruction »

Aside of making Athens posters mad intentionally ... I'll take Athens 44-43

surfsider
All State

Post by surfsider »

I believe from Big Red standards this isn't the most intimidating Steubenville team, but it played Massillon tough and the front 7 on defense hit.
Will no doubt be Athens' most physical opponent in a long time. I can't see Big Red losing, at home.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

surfsider wrote:I believe from Big Red standards this isn't the most intimidating Steubenville team, but it played Massillon tough and the front 7 on defense hit.
Will no doubt be Athens' most physical opponent in a long time. I can't see Big Red losing, at home.
Buddy, the bullpuppies schedule up to this point has been cupcake city! This will be the only test until the playoffs!

Ironmen44
JV Team

Post by Ironmen44 »

Good luck Athens Bulldogs !! Bring home a victory to SE Ohio.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

One interesting thing for Steubenville is that this week will be their second straight game against a QB committed to Ohio State.

Burrow is OSU's QB verbal for the 2015 class.

Danny Clark of Massilon Washington is OSU's QB verbal for the 2017 (yes, 17) class.

I saw posted elsewhere that Clark was 10-14 for 81 yards, 1 TD and 0 INTs. Obviously, Clark is a sophomore, but the QB play against Steubenville is an interesting thing to keep an eye on.

I hope Burrow lights it up.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

moonshine wrote:
Pol Pot wrote:
moonshine wrote:What are the chances of the bullpuppies failing to make the playoffs if Steubenville bears them! I think they would lose home field!

More of a chance than Logan has of making the play-offs.
- We all understand that! But the bullpuppies need to worry about the strength of there schedule if they stub there toe against the Big Red!
Yeah right, up to this point, Athens has yet to play the powers on Logan's schedule! NY and Meigs. Keep hating! And maybe someday you will get a chance to be fired from Logan again.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

The Bulldogs were intimidated in both their regional final losses the last two years, so they can be intimidated. Also in those games the other teams defensive schemes did confuse him and they were very physical so it can be done. Now can it be done at Steubenville? Not sure. Burrow may not be intimidated but we better worry about the lines and others being indimidated. I'm sure like MF last year there will be a lot of talk in the trenches from Big Red.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

athens78 wrote:The Bulldogs were intimidated in both their regional final losses the last two years, so they can be intimidated. Also in those games the other teams defensive schemes did confuse him and they were very physical so it can be done. Now can it be done at Steubenville? Not sure. Burrow may not be intimidated but we better worry about the lines and others being indimidated. I'm sure like MF last year there will be a lot of talk in the trenches from Big Red.

Intimidated would be the wrong word, as well as being confused. Both Thurgood Marshall and MF simply overwhelmed Athens as the better team. No shame in either game.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

I'm picking Big Red. While Big Red is a very average team this year and lost their best player for the rest of the season to injury,its still a notch way above what Athens usually sees in the regular season. The weak TVC teams don't get Athens ready for the playoffs and a loss here eliminates them, in all probability, from getting a home game. Death Valley ( for those who haven't been there) is a great venue but quite hostile and a true "12th" player for Big Red. It may also be wet and effect Athens game. Big Red is going to ram it down their throats and control the football. While I wouldn't call Big Red a good D team , they did hold #1 D-II Massillon to 26 pts at Paul Brown Stadium and were In the game. Big Red rarely loses at home and that includes vs many state power teams who visit. I believe Athens is clueless as to what awaits them. I know the fans are from reading the board . Could be a close game. Maybe. Enjoy the game.

wrestlefan1
JV Team

Post by wrestlefan1 »

when chillicothe beat steubenville at their place in the early 2000's, i swear we had 10 seconds to get plays in or it was delay of game, changed the start time, called a td back for no reason at all they only needed 9 yards for first downs cause of moving the chains.. the refs did everything they could to not let us win...
it was really really really bad..

we won so im not crying, but wow

JasonClaytor
Freshman Team

Post by JasonClaytor »

I'm picking Athens 56-28. So much talent, and honestly I think Steubenville is and Massilon Washington are two of the most over rated teams in the state. I don't see Steubenville or Massilon going far in the playoffs.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

wrestlefan1 wrote:when chillicothe beat steubenville at their place in the early 2000's, i swear we had 10 seconds to get plays in or it was delay of game, changed the start time, called a td back for no reason at all they only needed 9 yards for first downs cause of moving the chains.. the refs did everything they could to not let us win...
it was really really really bad..

we won so im not crying, but wow
Don't know how they get by with any of it, and all of the home games they have year after year. :roll:

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Thought I heard somewhere they pay little chunk of change to get them over there Trench,they can afford it with their attendance.I don't know why other teams would agree to do that year after year if there wasn't some incentive to do it.Then again maybe they just want to go over and see the fire breathing horse 8)

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

C-Bolt wrote:Thought I heard somewhere they pay little chunk of change to get them over there Trench,they can afford it with their attendance.I don't know why other teams would agree to do that year after year if there wasn't some incentive to do it.Then again maybe they just want to go over and see the fire breathing horse 8)
I heard that as well, but year after year? Must have a scheduling genius. Have some road games like everyone else. If they are that good, they can win on the road as well. The rule breaking I've been hearing about in games is ridiculous. Never been there, and only going on what I heard, but if this is happening, I'm surprised someone hasn't done something about it. It's not fair for the traveling teams playing over there. I'll be listening to the Athens radio announcers close in this game. See what they think and have to say as the game gets going.

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

Paladin wrote:I'm picking Big Red. While Big Red is a very average team this year and lost their best player for the rest of the season to injury,its still a notch way above what Athens usually sees in the regular season. The weak TVC teams don't get Athens ready for the playoffs and a loss here eliminates them, in all probability, from getting a home game. Death Valley ( for those who haven't been there) is a great venue but quite hostile and a true "12th" player for Big Red. It may also be wet and effect Athens game. Big Red is going to ram it down their throats and control the football. While I wouldn't call Big Red a good D team , they did hold #1 D-II Massillon to 26 pts at Paul Brown Stadium and were In the game. Big Red rarely loses at home and that includes vs many state power teams who visit. I believe Athens is clueless as to what awaits them. I know the fans are from reading the board . Could be a close game. Maybe. Enjoy the game.
Look who's back. Chief scout for all D1 college teams. How does he have time to post on here with all the time he spends scouting? Glad to see you back buddy, on here making fun of your old home land where you were apparently bullied as a kid. :mrgreen: Sorry you are so bitter about how you were treated when you lived here, and glad you have this forum to pay the area back with your nasty posts about our teams. Hope it makes you feel real good cause you seem to need a positive in your life. :122246

I think the Dogs have a good chance in this one. I doubt Steubenville can stop Burrow and co. But Athens will be tested on D. Good luck TVC brother.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Went over the Ohio Valley Athletics forum site and spent some time reading through their seven pages of discussion on this game. Very interesting reading, up through page four lol it was roll big red roll, and then as everyone starts to collect "information" and know a little more about Athens most posters are pulling back from their bold predictions and giving Athens much more respect.

Same here I believe bold prediction of Athens putting up 60+ initially, and now most people toning it down a little.

Apparently Steubenville without a couple players after getting banged up last week so be interesting how that impacts them.

I will be sitting in what looks like a wet Alumni Stadium this week watching Jackson-Warren, so hopefully the Athens faithful will keep all of us interested in this game posted.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

I hope Death Valley will not live up to it's name!
Last edited by moonshine on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

My opinion only, but after being able to see The Big Red on film, and seeing the Bulldogs almost weekly, I think Athens wins by at least 2 touchdowns, and that is being conservative. Not the Big Red of old, and Burrow and his receiving corps are way too much. The Big Red line backing corps may slow down Williams some, and their offense may be able to keep the ball away from us more than anybody else can, but still a comfortable Bulldog victory in the end.

Return to “Football”