Alexander Spartans 3-2 @ Vinton County 0-5

Alexander hitman
Varsity

Re: Alexander Spartans 3-2 @ Vinton County 0-5

Post by Alexander hitman »

The last few years this has been a very good game , I expect it to be again this year
Alexander has to come and play hard to get a win at Vinton.
Just keep it a injury free good game ...
Rise up !!

seoconstruction
Freshman Team

Post by seoconstruction »

Awww come on now Athens , this is the high school level in southeastern Ohio , Vc has everything it needs to be as successful as its basketball program , look at logan elm ? Weren't they a basketball ONLY school (based on your views) they got a new coach in 09 I believe and POW they go from 0-10 TO 10-0 IN ONE YEAR ! coaching I this area or even anywhere at the high school level is everything .. Clinton county needs a spark like dundas said
And dundas I understand it's tough for what you have accomplished recently yes

seoconstruction
Freshman Team

Vinton ... Not Clinton lol sorry

seoconstruction
Freshman Team

Not to mention the SUCCESS logan elm has had since their coach arrived , I believe they are 5-0 this year atop the region ...... But they're a basketball school

Alexander hitman
Varsity

Post by Alexander hitman »

Seoconsruction is correct , a fresh coach even though new to the game can
Change the whole outlook of a team , community.
The Spartans were due for a change and sometimes I think that a shakeup is needed
to excite and pump up a program, it has help Alexander a lot this year so far, kids have
bought in to new coaches ideas.

seoconstruction
Freshman Team

I was told Alexander has some very young coaches ? If you can find the right "young man" to help coach or a very mature young man to be head coach who has great leadership skills / role model ability with a high football iq ... Can go a long way! Like you said it's about getting the kids to buy in first in our area .. Once they start going home and telling their parents they enjoy their coach and like what his plans are , then they turn it into the talk of the community ! After that you gotta win and be influential to these high school kids .. Lol basically what I'm saying is I think it might be somewhat a "risk" having a young staff BUT if they are mature , the players can relate better and buy into what the coach is aiming for ! I'd like to see Alexander have success with their young staff !

Charles Farquar
JV Team

Post by Charles Farquar »

seoconstruction and Alexander Hitman don't go trying to say that Alexander has it all figured out because of their young coaches. Switch the schedule that Alex has played with the schedule Vinton Co. has played and Alex might be the one who is 0-5.
Fed Hock 0-4 might be one of the weakest football teams in the area
Symmes Valley 2-3 not the usual strong team they have been in the past weakest they have been in awhile
Unioto 38-14 lost to them common opponent who defeated Vinton Co also. Only difference is Vinton Co, started to come back on them and Unioto controlled the Alex game.
Athens 55-9 loss common opponent What do you say the Athens coach must have liked Penrod more than he did Arno
Wellston 31-20 win Caught Wellston after their falling apart against Oakhill the week before. Alex evidently watched the film and picked on the little freshmen Wellston has at cornerbacks and the Vikings may not have that ability. Though Vinton may well have a chance at winning that one when they play them if they don't fall apart.
I think Piketon might be comparable to Wellston and the Vikings lost in a close one 20-18 , Bloom Carrol and Meigs are stronger than anything Alex has faced on their schedule.
Last edited by Charles Farquar on Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

Charles Farquar
JV Team

I don't think the young coaches are the factor as much as having the benefit of a much weaker schedule being the difference between the two schools right now in the win loss department.

seoconstruction
Freshman Team

Ummmmmmmm if you would re read my prior post , I saud "I would like to see them have success with their young staff" .... Not once did I say that's why they won a couple games ?? Don't put words in my mouth pal , all I said is that I'm rooting for Alex young staff ..

Charles Farquar
JV Team

I don't know you there for I'm not your pal. Its a derogatory way of addressing someone. But back to the topic. I is my opinion the Alex staff has had some breaks the Vinton Staff has not and fell into a weaker schedule which is one element in them winning and Vinton not. I think an experienced coach and staff would have had the same results. Your entitled to your opinion just like I am.

seoconstruction
Freshman Team

Ugghhh , I'm not against an experienced staff by any means. All I'm saying is that I hope this young staff has success ! Pal

Anyway I haven't seen Alexander play but by the way you make it sound Vc has a great chance of picking up their first W!

Charles Farquar
JV Team

seoconstruction I have not watched Vinton County play this year only listened on the radio and read stats in the paper, but have seen a lot of the other teams play that I mentioned including Alexander. I think Vinton's biggest problem will be mentally not going in the tank at a time when they can win some games. They were close in several and came back respectfully in some others. That has to be demoralizing. I do understand what you are saying about a new staff bringing enthusiasm and I agree. Its new and kids are willing to buy into it. Vinton's head coach has a lot of experience and I have coached against him as an assistant when he was at another school. Not friends with him but I think he might have the same record as Alexander's coach if he were coaching in the same situation. I don't really know how the two teams will match up against each other, but feel they are pretty equal if the Vinton County kids can still be in it mentally and the coach has not lost them. Not trying to start anything, just voicing an opinion.

seoconstruction
Freshman Team

I understand ! Well best of luck to both teams , looks like it should be a close one ! But if VC continues to struggle the rest of this and next season I think they have to consider a new guy to take over
Alexander 28 Vinton 26 go vikes

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I really do not have time for this and maybe I will elaborate later, but here is Vinton County's football problem in one simple term; culture.

Our culture around our football program from the Lil' Vikes until High School has several deficiencies woven into its fabric, simply the culture. That goes from the structure and organization, to the lack of continuity, and to unrealistic expectations of everyone involved.

However, I can tell you this, changing coaches is not the answer. Someone mentioned Coach Combs, well, so you know, since Coach Combs arrived here in 2000, the Vikings football program has had four (4) football coaches. Each one, either quit or was non-renewed for the sake of expectations. Hiring a new coach, in my opinion, is the equivalent to using a band-aid on a severed limb. We must begin to look at ourselves first, come together for continuity, and develop clear goals and have a sound mission. Until then, I expect more of the same.

seoconstruction
Freshman Team

Well said , but I think the right head coach can help make a drastic change in the culture ! Like I said above Logan elm was the same way even worse , or you can look at the opposite site such as the Logan chieftains , they went from multiple league titles in a row to a new coach , who I believe went 1-9 2-8 and that's with "culture"
I understand what you're saying about the 4 coaches .. But have you hired one that you truly believe in ?
Matt is the AD correct ? He does a great job with the basketball program as he has a basketball mind ! But maybe he just hasn't made the right hire yet for the football program ! I think Vinton needs to find the right guy who can come in and make a change to the "culture"

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Hawk.. shouldn't the culture and continuity, from the varsity level down to lil Vikes, be the varsity head coaches top priority? Isn't some of what goes on all the way down the program some of his responsibilities? The culture was once thriving and determined. Expectations grew as a result. Yes there are many problems in this program from top to bottom, but why isn't there someone who stands up and demands more? Why isn't someone in place to get things back the way they were? The culture can be fixed instantly and I think we both know how.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Seoconstuction.. I agree with what you're saying. Matt has done an exceptional job as AD so far imo. He hasn't however been involved in hiring a football coach. Justy has been at VC as the football coach longer than Matt has been AD.

seoconstruction
Freshman Team

Well put dundas , I would love to see them hire someone who instantly turns eyes , gets the kids to buy in immediately from grades 7-12 and even at the biddy league level ! Someone who gets "culture" back immediately and like dundas is saying I think the right new coach can do that . It's worth the gamble imo to hire someone who will get the kids attention , get the conditioning/weight room program at a high level, get kids WANTING to play football , there are several things I can say here but someone who can make a huge impact and get the who community (culture) to buy in .. It's very possible at VC

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

If there is a new "guy" in the future, he (or she) will face an entrenched mindset and debilitating sense of unrealistic expectations. Furthermore, today's teenager is vastly different from the teenager of the 1990's or before. There is so much available to them, such as sports or academic opportunities elsewhere and an abundant amount of information to consume their time and attention. Therefore, I have stated before, it does not mean as much today, as it did back in the day, to represent your school, community, and family on a Friday night. It just doesn't.

Yes, Matt is the Athletic Director, and he is fully aware of our situation and has done things to improve that situation. Also, he did not hire the current football coach. He was here when Matt took the position of AD.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I think our current football coach has tried to remedy some of our problems. As I understand it, he now has a very good relationship with those in charge of Lil' Vikes. He has a great working relationship with the current AD and together, they have tried to address some of these cultural issues. However, for a lack of a better term and without getting to personal, we are lacking in several areas of resources. I am older than most of you, well, I know I am older than Dundas anyways, I am telling you, changing coaches is not the answer. Besides, who would want this job? A seasoned, proven winner? No, I don't think so. I wish I was more optimistic.

Return to “Football”