With days of SEOAL numbered, Jackson looking for new league

Dundas
SEOPS

Re: With days of SEOAL numbered, Jackson looking for new lea

Post by Dundas »

The TVC likes two divisions of 7 and 9? Even if they don't add anyone, you would think the logical thing would be to even out the divisions. 6-10 or 8-8.

chiefs
Varsity

Post by chiefs »

Jackson (and even Logan) should look at being an MSL affiliate for football only. Logan may have a chance at being a full-fledged member in the MSL for all sports, but Jackson would likely not. At least with football the gates will be huge!

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

Dundas wrote:The TVC likes two divisions of 7 and 9? Even if they don't add anyone, you would think the logical thing would be to even out the divisions. 6-10 or 8-8.
No one from the Hocking division is willing to move to the Ohio division and no one from the Ohio is willing to move to the Hocking except River Valley. But, since River Valley and South Gallia are both part of the Gallia County school district their superintendent won't allow them to be in the same division.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

I understand no one will move up or down but my question is how can they be happy with two divisions of 7 and 9? It makes no sense to have only two odd numbered divisions. If there were 4 divisions, I could see odd working in terms of crossover ability but with only two, you can't ask Athens to play Miller in week 6. It just sounds like the TVC is afraid and when a smaller or perennial loser comes available or willing, they will jump all over them.

OVCFan2
Freshman Team

Post by OVCFan2 »

No way that Jackson would be invited or allowed in the MSL. The Distance would keep them out, and there is no way that the MSL would take Jackson, but by pass Logan. Besides Logan already scrimmages Circleville and play Teays Valley. I can see Logan being added way before Jackson even becomes a consideration. Jackson will end up in the SOC or the TVC. I just hope the Logan Jackson rivalry continues.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Dundas wrote:I understand no one will move up or down but my question is how can they be happy with two divisions of 7 and 9? It makes no sense to have only two odd numbered divisions. If there were 4 divisions, I could see odd working in terms of crossover ability but with only two, you can't ask Athens to play Miller in week 6. It just sounds like the TVC is afraid and when a smaller or perennial loser comes available or willing, they will jump all over them.
I mean why on earth would someone want Jackson?

We have only been a loyal and staunch supporter of the league we were in for 90 some years, representing ourselves and our fellow league members as well as we could. Providing seeding support and Harbin points with respect to the play-offs no matter what the sport.

We have fans that travel as well or better than almost any SE Ohio school to provide great gates and buy concessions.

Have modern, well kept facilities, locker rooms, fields and gyms built within the last 10 years.

I mean seriously, who would ever want Jackson as a fellow league member given all that baggage :roll:

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

DP, if Jackson were to ever go 20-80 in a 10 year span, then I think they may have a shot at the TVC. It really bothers me that the supers in charge of the TVC act this way. Its embarrassing really. We have send teams to a state championship game 3 years in a row now and could make it 4 after this weekend yet we won't add Gallia, Jackson, Logan or Warren to our league. Now ill be honest with you. As a Vinton County supporter, I could do without the long trip to Warren but with gates from Logan and Jackson coming in, maybe there would be enough extra money to spend on the football program. Bigger visitor seats, spice up our plane Jane football field, give it a name for starters and maybe get some interest back into football in the County. With the right leader, and extra cash, VC COULD get up off the mat. They have made strides over the last few years but we need a spark. I know people in VC would be afraid of playing Logan Jackson Athens and NY every year, but tell me, how have we done as a program in scheduling down the last few years? We are in a rut. Its time for a different approach. If in 5-10 years this expansion thing was a bad idea, split with a few teams and make a new league. We created the TVC, we could find a new home if this experiment doesn't work. Its worth a dang shot! One last thing before I finish my rant. To those saying the SEOAL looked down on us over the years (which I agree with). Wouldn't absorbing the remaining members be the biggest way of showing them we were the superior and smarter league all along? They would have to eat a lot of crow and I for one would be happy with that. Rant. Over.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Dundas wrote:DP, if Jackson were to ever go 20-80 in a 10 year span, then I think they may have a shot at the TVC. It really bothers me that the supers in charge of the TVC act this way. Its embarrassing really. We have send teams to a state championship game 3 years in a row now and could make it 4 after this weekend yet we won't add Gallia, Jackson, Logan or Warren to our league. Now ill be honest with you. As a Vinton County supporter, I could do without the long trip to Warren but with gates from Logan and Jackson coming in, maybe there would be enough extra money to spend on the football program. Bigger visitor seats, spice up our plane Jane football field, give it a name for starters and maybe get some interest back into football in the County. With the right leader, and extra cash, VC COULD get up off the mat. They have made strides over the last few years but we need a spark. I know people in VC would be afraid of playing Logan Jackson Athens and NY every year, but tell me, how have we done as a program in scheduling down the last few years? We are in a rut. Its time for a different approach. If in 5-10 years this expansion thing was a bad idea, split with a few teams and make a new league. We created the TVC, we could find a new home if this experiment doesn't work. Its worth a dang shot! One last thing before I finish my rant. To those saying the SEOAL looked down on us over the years (which I agree with). Wouldn't absorbing the remaining members be the biggest way of showing them we were the superior and smarter league all along? They would have to eat a lot of crow and I for one would be happy with that. Rant. Over.
I am in total agreement. My GOD what fools they are!

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Dundas, at the risk of sounding a little bitter (maybe because I am a little to be honest) I just don't get it.

Me and you will have to agree to disagree on the "SEOAL looking down" thing, but I get what you are saying I really do, I read some of the nonsense posts on here, and we all know some fans that have maybe not acted "politically correct" or whatever, but the overwhelming majority of the community where any of us live supports the area programs that end up continuing on after the regular season, or even during the regular season when there is a match-up against a team from out of SE Ohio.

Jackson, Warren and Logan needs a life preserver tossed to it, the 4 biggest and best ships passing by Jackson are the TVC, SCOL, SOC and OVC.

To me if I am ranking them (and lord knows beggars can't be choosers we are liable to take the first one that offers) the list is in the order mentioned above, ESPECIALLY if there could be a divisional arrangement that you have put out there, which I think is spot on. SOC and OVC are smaller schools and I think that over the course of time that would become a bone of contention. Even though 4-5 of those schools have shown on more than one occasion they were equally good in the sport of football which is apparently the end all be all of all decisions. Lest we forget we are 22-10 in the last 4 years with 11 of those "W''s" coming this year. SCOL, wow there would be some late nights but if they offered we would most certainly consider.

TVC is the best fit for us, and you laid out some very valid points as a VC supporter as to why it would help your program in football, and we both understand VC has ruled the other big boy's sport for what 7+ years or so probably.

Jackson if accepted into any league is going to throw all their support to be a good partner, that is how our program's and administration rolls.

If this is to have any chance (the TVC) in my opinion it has to have a vocal backing from the VC, Athens & NY's of the league. Obviously Athens lol has other things on their minds now but unless someone within starts to lobby hard it won't happen. Jackson trying to convince schools is like trying to shovel smoke or push a rope, it will take a concerted effort by an existing TVC program to lay out why they should help a local SE Ohio district and how to make it a win-win for everyone.
Last edited by doubleplay643 on Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

We can agree to disagree DP. That doesn't change the fact that we would like to see the same result here. I've been outspoken and I've shared a few ideas with a lot of people higher up than me. I'm not sure if it will amount to much, but I've tried. Personally I give this all a 10-15% chance of happening. Which imo is sad.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Dundas wrote:We can agree to disagree DP. That doesn't change the fact that we would like to see the same result here. I've been outspoken and I've shared a few ideas with a lot of people higher up than me. I'm not sure if it will amount to much, but I've tried. Personally I give this all a 10-15% chance of happening. Which imo is sad.
Any sense on how close a straight up vote on Jackson would be at all?

Is it 2/3 or 3/4 majority?

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

doubleplay643 wrote:
Dundas wrote:We can agree to disagree DP. That doesn't change the fact that we would like to see the same result here. I've been outspoken and I've shared a few ideas with a lot of people higher up than me. I'm not sure if it will amount to much, but I've tried. Personally I give this all a 10-15% chance of happening. Which imo is sad.
Any sense on how close a straight up vote on Jackson would be at all?

Is it 2/3 or 3/4 majority?
That is about the right. But I guess it will be what it will be!

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

One more question Dundas do you think we have a better chance as a group (Logan/Warren) or by ourselves?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

You really don't have any chance.........

If Jackson would get enough votes then so would Warren if they applied, I would like to see Jackson in the league but I just don't see it happening.

I think NY is tired of playing Athens for the TVC Ohio title every year so you could get a yes from NY with the thought of adding a 3rd division. But the idea of just adding 4 teams just because they need a home is silly to me.
Add 2 teams, Jackson and Warren then have 3 six team divisions and call it a day.
The divisions can be set up initially by school size. NY can play Trimble week 10 like it should be and everyone is happy.
I really don't think it will happen but to me that's the best scenario.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Orange and Brown wrote:You really don't have any chance.........

If Jackson would get enough votes then so would Warren if they applied, I would like to see Jackson in the league but I just don't see it happening.

I think NY is tired of playing Athens for the TVC Ohio title every year so you could get a yes from NY with the thought of adding a 3rd division. But the idea of just adding 4 teams just because they need a home is silly to me.
Add 2 teams, Jackson and Warren then have 3 six team divisions and call it a day.
The divisions can be set up initially by school size. NY can play Trimble week 10 like it should be and everyone is happy.
Assuming that the MSL is the best fit for Logan (and it indeed may be) I like the above arrangement O&B.

What does your hypothetical (don't have a chance lol) divisions look like, and if you don't care to say, what keeps it from having a chance?

I agree adding for sake of adding is no good, but I think value can be provided by the addition. This adding of teams bears no resemblance to the SEOAL expansion ten years ago or so, this scenario I think is a completely different animal.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Ohio

Jackson
Vinton County
Athens
Warren
Meigs
Alex

New division

Wellston
Nelsonville-York
Belpre
Federal Hocking
Trimble
River Valley

Hocking Division

Miller
South Gallia
Southern
Eastern
Waterford
Wahama

You could switch out Wahama with Belpre or Federal Hocking.....

As to why I think it won't happen, call it a gut feeling ;)

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

If any changes are made, this may be the change with the best chance. Or only warren is added to even the Ohio. That is probably the most likely thing to happen.

greyhoundsbob
Waterboy

Post by greyhoundsbob »

I think Jackson and Warren's only realistic option is the TVC. A three divisions of six teams set-up would be ideal, but the TVC seems to be determined to make life as difficult as possible for the remaining SEOAL members. I'm not sure if it is just them being petty and spiteful or if it is out of a fear of competition which was cited earlier. The TVC had no problem when it came to adding a River Valley program that had been one of the worst in the state for years or an Athens program that was getting beat on a regular by SEOAL and TVC schools by 50-60 plus points. It's kind of hard to argue the fear of competition excuse. I'm pretty positive that Athens vote would look a lot different if it were held today. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the TVC schools like the fact that one school wins everything. Who knows? Gallia has already announced their departure to the OVC. Logan is probably best fit for the MSL and hopefully that happens at some point. Jackson and Warren are going to be the two schools that get royally screwed unless the TVC has a change of heart. I don't see the MVL schools wanting to travel to Warren nor do I see the SOC schools wanting a school as big as Jackson in a predominantly division 5 and 6 Scioto county based league. The OVC presents the same problem for Jackson as the SOC and even adds traveling down 93 for every league game except Portsmouth. Probably not gonna happen.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Does nelsonville York still have they're weight room and wrestling mats on above the bleachers in the gym? They're used to be cages up there , very intimidating .

BadVlad27
JV Team

Post by BadVlad27 »

Ironman-Jackson would be Burgs only challenge in baseball? You obviously don't know how competitive SOC II is in baseball. Yes, Burg is the team to beat most years, but to say Jackson would be the only challenge for them is far from the truth.

Return to “Football”