Marion Local vs Athens

buckman
Freshman Team

Marion Local vs Athens

Post by buckman »

After watching the best team in Athens history, and the last two years of a once in a generation run by the Trimble Tomcats, can someone explain to me how Marion Local wins four state titles in a row? Last year their DI QB graduates, and this year they roll out another stud and annihilate all of their competition? I recall the 1981 NY squad who was a bunch of freaks, as well as the recent Athens/Trimble teams that were state level rosters.... but that's a total of four seasons in 35 years. I hope the competitive balance measure going into effect in 2015 helps level the playing field.

Not saying Marion Local is doing anything wrong, but experience tells me you don't grow those types of teams in the cornfields every year.

art08
Waterboy

Re: Marion Local vs Athens

Post by art08 »

Marion Local will likely move up to division 6 next year. They were right on the edge 2 years ago.Their senior class was amazing and they may have a "down year" next year.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

obschwie wrote:Marion Local will likely move up to division 6 next year. They were right on the edge 2 years ago.Their senior class was amazing and they may have a "down year" next year.
Trimble has 110
Marion Local 92

The only team in d7 that can compete with ML is ML's JV team

art08
Waterboy

Post by art08 »

Trimble must have been very close to Division 6. Minster won division 6 with 117.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

You could see the confidence in the coach at halftime. He knows talent wise it's a mismatch.

Just a question, but say at the beginning of the year Marion Local says we want to try D4 or D5 to see how good they are. Is that possible?

All I can say is watching several D5 and lower games, outside of ML the drop off from D5 to D6/D7 is huge. Minster/Kirtland are good teams but they wouldn't be very successful this year in D5. Quite frankly depending on the draw they probably don't win more than one game in D5 if that. It's usually not that big of a drop off.
Last edited by Westfan on Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

art08
Waterboy

Post by art08 »

Marion Local beat Coldwater 20-0 and Coldwater is playing for the D5 championship. The game was closer than the score but that doesn't change the fact that they would likely have won D5 this year. I would guess they could win division 4 but the only evidence to support this is that Coldwater beat Kenton easily and Kenton almost beat Kettering in the D4 semifinals.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Westfan wrote:You could see the confidence in the coach at halftime. He knows talent wise it's a mismatch.

Just a question, but say at the beginning of the year Marion Local says we want to try D4 or D5 to see how good they are. Is that possible?
Let's say u stick them in D3, in a one game series they could win but you have to beat 5 d3 schools. They don't have the depth to get pounded by teams that out weigh them by 50 pounds on the line. Big difference between d2 and d3 compared to d5-d7

art08
Waterboy

Post by art08 »

This year Marion Local outscored their opponents 658-88. In the playoffs, they outscored their opponents 220-14.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

obschwie wrote:This year Marion Local outscored their opponents 658-88. In the playoffs, they outscored their opponents 220-14.
its not even fair to have them in d7

lineman7
All Conference

Post by lineman7 »

The Marion Local - Coldwater game was not closer than that score... It was complete domination. Marion Local is on the roll they are on because of the senior class this year. The RB played from freshman year (he scored their first TD in 2011 in the state title game) to his senior year. Several others were 3 and 4 year starters as well.

The conference Marion Local plays in has 3 state finals winners (if Coldwater wins tonight, which they should, Minster beat Kirtland last night) and also has Versailles, St. Henry, St. Johns, Anna and others all of who have played deep into the playoffs. There isn't a whole lot to do in that area except play football and the coaches have been there forever. Competition breeds success and makes you better... hence the reason a team like Valley improved dramatically after they moved from the SOC I to the SOC 2 even if it did take a few years to get there

Why isn't it fair for them to be in D7? Because they worked harder and played better? Get real, other teams just need to get better.

art08
Waterboy

Post by art08 »

How can you say that it was not closer than the score showed? Definitly not complete domination. Coldwater drove inside Marion's 30 yard line a few time during the game and was stopped. Toward the end of the game, Coldwater was driving and threw a pick 6. No other team this year stopped Marion's offense like Coldwater did but no other team totaly stopped Coldwater's offense like Marion did.

The game last year was totally dominated by Marion Local.
Last edited by art08 on Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lineman7
All Conference

Post by lineman7 »

obschwie wrote:How can you say that it was not closer than the score showed? Definitly not complete domination. Coldwater drove inside Marion's 30 yard line a few time during the game and was stopped. Toward the end of the game, Coldwater was driving and threw a pick 6. No other team this year stopped Marion's offense like Coldwater did but no other team totaly stopped Coldwater's offense like Marion did.

I listened to the whole game, to me it never sounded in doubt... difference of opinion I guess...

icanpickem
All Conference

Post by icanpickem »

obschwie wrote:Trimble must have been very close to Division 6. Minster won division 6 with 117.

two boys....cutoff for D7 was 111

icanpickem
All Conference

Post by icanpickem »

lineman7 wrote:The Marion Local - Coldwater game was not closer than that score... It was complete domination. Marion Local is on the roll they are on because of the senior class this year. The RB played from freshman year (he scored their first TD in 2011 in the state title game) to his senior year. Several others were 3 and 4 year starters as well.
I believe Coach Goodwin said after the game they had 6, 3 year starters on D.

Charles Farquar
JV Team

Post by Charles Farquar »

79 players on their roster. I was at the first half of the Maria Stein Maria Local and Coldwater game. Stadium is very small most of the seating is reserved had to stand and watch. I have to agree from what I saw Coldwater could not move the ball consistently . Whenever Coldwater got in 5 wide Marion Local brought the house extreme pressure on Colwater QB. Marion Local defense first half pretty much shut them down 1st half. Don't know about 2nd left.

The General
All State

Post by The General »

Athens would have beaten Marion Local like a Red-headed stepchild :lol:

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Athens would win. Too much offense

earp
S

Post by earp »

Its the MAC Conference.Nearly every school is this good in every sport boys and girls.Competition cultivates great teams.Go to their website and look at all of the state titles this conference has won.Its insane! :shock:

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Who cares never happened and never will.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

That's the best team Athens may ever have; however, if anyone actually believes they would beat Marion-Local, they're crazy. Coldwater wouldn't even beat them and played two divisions higher and won the state championship.

Return to “Football”