athens

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: athens

Post by 93Bulldog »

Never heard of a league kicking a team out for winning ... just sayin.

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Yes, such an advantage...

I forgot Athens gets to play with 12 men on the Football Field, 6 on the Basketball court and 12 on the Baseball Field...I must have overlooked that advantage...

Yet, all of the Naysayers on this forum don't care that Vinton County is the same size as Athens with non of the headaches from the Peanut gallery...same size, same league, but they don't have the same advantages..

I guess we will just have to learn to love that 'Hated' feeling from all of the outsiders!

Again, no one from the TVC has a problem with Athens...

It has been 5 years people, keep on bashing away...We will learn to love being hated, I guess this is the same feelings the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies and Dodgers must have because their pocket books give them such an advantage...

GO ATHENS!
GO TVC!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

questionmark wrote:It has been 5 years people, keep on bashing away...We will learn to love being hated, I guess this is the same feelings the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies and Dodgers must have because their pocket books give them such an advantage
Hasn't it been the Giants and Cardinals who have been winning the world series?

just sayin.

I think the thing that cracks me up the most is if you go back and look at league champions in football - its BEEN ALL NELSONVILLE-YORK before Athens arrived (and they have even won it three times in the last five years with Athens being in the league) ... but before the Bulldogs joined the TVC, it was NY year after year - I mean absolute domination ... if Athens were to leave the TVC, it would be more of the same ... the Bucks would win every league title every fall ... at least with Athens you now have TWO teams that have a chance.

The exact same scenerio has been playing out in basketball ... if the league wants to go back to Vinton COunty winning title-after-title - then so be it ... if you want there to at least be some competition at the top - then Athens probably needs to stay put.

(BTW) - Vinton County has 4-out-of-the-last-5 five TVC-Ohio titles in basketball.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Last time I checked Athens was doing just fine in the TVC. I am sorry that some people still have there feel bads hurt over Athens leaving, but maybe they ought to worry about more important things like which league will take there schools once the SEAOL folds........

GO TVC!!!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

This was stated to me by a baseball coach in the TVC ...

"Having Athens in the TVC has been a huge plus. They have elevated the respect of our league with their post season success and the recognition has been trickling down the last two years or so. We are gaining more respect at tournament seedings, more players are starting to get recognized at district meetings, etc ... etc ... we know Athens has a terrific baseball program, and our kids know we have to get better if we want to knock them off, which in turn has made us a better team."

- fans on SEOPS can whine and complain all they want ... as long as coaches think that way - Athens probably isn't going anywhere.

Bighitsinc
Varsity

Post by Bighitsinc »

The playing field is no-where close to being even with the current TVC...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

BIGHITSINC wrote:The playing field is no-where close to being even with the current TVC...
Looking at ALL THE TVC TITLES won by NY on the football field - was it a "close playing field" before Athens joined the league?
Looking at ALL THE TVC TITLES won by VC on the basketball court - was it a "close playing field" before Athens joined the league?

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Good grief folks, give it up. Athens has been in the TVC for several years. If the TVC doesn't mind having Athens, why should you mind Athens being in the TVC?

Athens is going through an upswing in its program and excelling in a lot of stuff. Athens wasn't as bad as folks made it out when they were going through tough times and, sorry 93Dog, but Athens isn't always going to be this good. Schools go through highs and lows.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

People just need to be happy. The tvc is very strong. The Seoal has become weak. Only 5 teams. Worst idea ever letting zanesville, chilli, ironton, and Portsmouth. Hurt every originally member. But why would athens leave the tvc. Last I checked, gas was $4 a gallon

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

In the words of the infamous Alice Cooper, "and personally, I don't care"

Bighitsinc
Varsity

Post by Bighitsinc »

Pretty darned easy to say numbers don't mater when you're sitting at the top of the numbers huh.......

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

The only arguement to look at "The Numbers" is Vinton County and Nelsonville-York...

The 2nd Biggest School in the Ohio vs. The Smallest School in the Ohio...

Get over it Biggie Smalls...

Sometimes, its as simple as giving credit to a Coach and his program...

You kick the two DIII schools out of the Ohio and what are you left with?
Nelsonville-York winning Football EVERY YEAR...
Alexander taking Basketball and Meigs taking Baseball...EVERY YEAR!

The TVC-OHIO is a great League right now, and everyone hates that...
Crowds have been amazing, meaning Money has been flowing through the door...

Bighitsinc
Varsity

Post by Bighitsinc »

Yep, the truth must really hurt, huh???

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

BIGHITSINC wrote:Yep, the truth must really hurt, huh???
Where is the yaaaaaawn button?

Bighitsinc
Varsity

Post by Bighitsinc »

93Bulldog wrote:
BIGHITSINC wrote:Yep, the truth must really hurt, huh???
Where is the yaaaaaawn button?
Was in the SEOAL when A-town was there :mrgreen:

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Bigie Smalls...you tend to forget that each League has more than just one sport...Football is not the only sport...

I'm sure you're not laughing at the 24 SEOAL LeaguenBaseball Championships Athens still holds and holds by a huge margin...and Athens hasn't played in the League for 5 years...
Last edited by questionmark on Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bighitsinc
Varsity

Post by Bighitsinc »

questionmark wrote:Bigie Smalls...you tend to forget that each League has more than just one sport...Football is not the only sport...

I'm sure you're not laughing at the 24 SEOAL League Championships Athens still holds and holds by a huge margin...and Athens hasn't played in the League for 5 years...
Well,,,Since your memory is kinda lacking,,, Go to previous page and you will see that I mentioned that a league encompassed ALL sports.
How is that Addition to the trophy case holdin up since joining the TVC and numbers really don't matter.............

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I hear ya ... those "numbers" really help Fed Hock (the biggest school in the Hocking) ... they have so many 'all sports' trohphies they probably don't even know what to do with them.
How many 'all sports' trophies did Vinton County win before Athens came along? Must have been all of them I am assuming since they were by far the biggest school.

:)

Charles Farquar
JV Team

Post by Charles Farquar »

Comparing Vinton" COUNTY "to Athens " CITY" school district is like comparing apples to oranges. Yes some kids in the Athens district may live outside the city limits , but nothing like Vinton County. Some Vinton County Kids spend almost two hours commuting one way to school everyday, yes their numbers may be close but it is not the same situation. Kids are closer parents can afford to get them to after school activities. Say what you want but the difference in where the majority of students live in the school district gives a numbers advantage, especially in the opportunities in minor sports. Also I doubt if Vinton would have the opportunity to have a move in quarterback because of a parent at OU like the one Athens has. I don't think you could argue that he made a crucial difference and has been instrumental in the success they had in football the past year.

OneHitWonder
Riding the Bench

Post by OneHitWonder »

Charles Farquar wrote:Comparing Vinton" COUNTY "to Athens " CITY" school district is like comparing apples to oranges. Yes some kids in the Athens district may live outside the city limits , but nothing like Vinton County. Some Vinton County Kids spend almost two hours commuting one way to school everyday, yes their numbers may be close but it is not the same situation. Kids are closer parents can afford to get them to after school activities. Say what you want but the difference in where the majority of students live in the school district gives a numbers advantage, especially in the opportunities in minor sports. Also I doubt if Vinton would have the opportunity to have a move in quarterback because of a parent at OU like the one Athens has. I don't think you could argue that he made a crucial difference and has been instrumental in the success they had in football the past year.

Charles, You have not been paying attention to the discussion. According to the ALL KNOWING"- "BIGHITSINC" it's all about the numbers. Hasn't anyone wondered why BIGHITSINC isn't making an argument for why Vinton County is in the TVC..
They have enrollment numbers vey close to other SEOAL schools (Vinton 271 / Jackson 295 / Gallia 258 / Warren 356) and are much bigger than any other TVC school with the exception of Athens... Yet never a word from BIGHITSINC about the "NUMBERS GAME" when it comes to the Vikings. Why is
this? My thoughts.... Vinton County isn't Winning Championships in multiple sports..... It's not about the numbers.... Well it is.. But it's the numbers in the "W" column that bothers BIGHITSINC... As long as Athens is winning you are going to hear complaining and whining about "NUMBERS" or
MOVE IN's or any other excuse that people can come up with as to why Athens is having Athletic success...

Return to “Football”