Wheelersburg Pirates 2013 Football Season

art_vandelay
SE

Re: Wheelersburg Pirates 2013 Football Season

Post by art_vandelay »

fbnut: good point on Estep playing three sports in high school...kids may want to "specialize" but I guarantee it's not Estep's doing. But if Martin thinks that is what's best for him, then wish him luck and move on instead of whining about it on here. I think Burg now has 3 coaches in Woodward, Ater and Estep who will work together for the good of the kids and school, not just what's best for their own program.*

then what
Varsity

Post by then what »

art_vandelay wrote:fbnut: good point on Estep playing three sports in high school...kids may want to "specialize" but I guarantee it's not Estep's doing. But if Martin thinks that is what's best for him, then wish him luck and move on instead of whining about it on here. I think Burg now has 3 coaches in Woodward, Ater and Estep who will work together for the good of the kids and school, not just what's best for their own program.*

All I can say is look in the recent past. More than any sport, How many baseball one sport players have come through. Somebody is influencing their decisions! I hope this decision with Wade works out for him but I'm disappointed. I have great respect for Wade and his dad Tom and his family. I guess I'm just shocked that this decision was made. I wish him the best of luck. I think the Pirates are loaded and will be very successful in football. I just wanted the Martins to have a history @ Wheelersburg in football because their family history in football @ Minford was outstanding. Go Pirates!

free safety
Riding the Bench

Post by free safety »

then what I can tell you that Estep did not influence him to not play football. If Estep had the time and permission he would love to help on the football staff, you can ask the boys that play for him, they will tell you that he wants them to play anything they want and if they play he tells them to give it 110%. I hate it for Wade because he is a great kid and he knows that people will talk about him not playing and it has already started with you bringing it up on this forum. Lets just look back in the last 6-7 years and think of the kids that has not played BASEBALL to concentrate on another sport but you wont here anybody say something about that (Drew Spradlin, Schankweiler's, Lang, Craigmiles, Stegman, Eddie Miller etc..) so it goes on for all sports. I do agree I wish all kids could and would play all sports, buts as adults we have to respect their decision.

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

Nothing wrong with playing several sports or just one. It's high school folks.

eagles 89
Waterboy

Post by eagles 89 »

fbnut wrote:The decision is ultimately up to the young man and the people close to him. Coach Estep does not encourage kids to specialize. He played all 3 sports in highschool and still got a full ride to osu,I would think that would be a good example that you can do more than 1 sport and still go onto to play at the next level. The coach that encouraged kids to specialize no longer coaches at burg. Good luck to the young man, no matter what his decision.
Ed Miller quit coaching a long time ago

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

eagles 89 wrote:
fbnut wrote:The decision is ultimately up to the young man and the people close to him. Coach Estep does not encourage kids to specialize. He played all 3 sports in highschool and still got a full ride to osu,I would think that would be a good example that you can do more than 1 sport and still go onto to play at the next level. The coach that encouraged kids to specialize no longer coaches at burg. Good luck to the young man, no matter what his decision.
Ed Miller quit coaching a long time ago
yes, sometime in the early 90's I believe.

eagles 89
Waterboy

Post by eagles 89 »

Not sure why you would go that far back to reference the coach who encouraged specialization, I'm not sure everyone would have known who you had in mind.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

eagles 89 wrote:Not sure why you would go that far back to reference the coach who encouraged specialization, I'm not sure everyone would have known who you had in mind.
Are you kidding Ed Miller is the first coach that would pop in any ones head and not just from people from burg.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

eagles 89 wrote:Not sure why you would go that far back to reference the coach who encouraged specialization, I'm not sure everyone would have known who you had in mind.
I didn't go that far back, you did. I never mentioned coach miller. I only agreed with you that he retired along time ago.

eagles 89
Waterboy

Post by eagles 89 »

[quote=] The coach that encouraged kids to specialize no longer coaches at burg.[/quote]
Which coach would you be referencing

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Baseball gives 11.9 scholarships and they carry roughly 33-35 kids on the Roster, very very very few full scholarships are ever given in baseball.

eddie
JV Team

Post by eddie »

there is no need in specializing in baseball. easiest sport to prepare for. u can prepare for baseball on the weekends and maybe one time throughout the week during football and basketball. cmon man. how tough is it to hit in a cage or throw long toss? Is it that time consuming?? has to be something else. ??? people might be influencing him. you are only a youngster once. he needs to enjoy his time in high school with his friends having fun.

Fan of The Blue and Gold
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of The Blue and Gold »

Pol Pot, That is good information. I know of no local player in the past 30 years that have received a full ride scholarship in baseball their first year in college. (Full Ride = Tuition, Room & Board) Most parents are mislead about baseball scholarships.

Hitops2.0
Varsity

Post by Hitops2.0 »

eddie wrote:there is no need in specializing in baseball. easiest sport to prepare for. u can prepare for baseball on the weekends and maybe one time throughout the week during football and basketball. cmon man. how tough is it to hit in a cage or throw long toss? Is it that time consuming?? has to be something else. ??? people might be influencing him. you are only a youngster once. he needs to enjoy his time in high school with his friends having fun.

Easiest sport to prepare for ?? Wow .....take a round bat against a round ball and " TRY TO HIT IT SQUARELY " ask Bryce Harper if your preparation would suffice ....ive seen alot of kids that quit football and came back to it without much trouble ...and ive seen kids try to come back to baseball and cant even come close to hitting a fastball let alone the breaking balls guys are throwing these days ...for that matter ask Josh Newman and Derek Moore about their preparation ...ive seen Josh's workout in the off season at one of his clinics and it wasnt a walk in the park

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Newman played football and it seemed to work out for him

callie11
Freshman Team

Post by callie11 »

Baseball is much like watching paint dry.

The D
JV Team

Post by The D »

Wheelersburg Football Thread....Arguing about Baseball....

Piratefan2
Varsity

Post by Piratefan2 »

No kidding.... lets talk football here! Who and where is the first scrimmage game?

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

PirateFan2 wrote:No kidding.... lets talk football here! Who and where is the first scrimmage game?
I'm not sure about the first scrimmage, but I am pretty sure they have a 7v7 at home tomorrow.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

4th n Goal wrote:
PirateFan2 wrote:No kidding.... lets talk football here! Who and where is the first scrimmage game?
I'm not sure about the first scrimmage, but I am pretty sure they have a 7v7 at home tomorrow.
Time?

Return to “Football”