SOC II - 2013

coop
SEOPS

SOC II - 2013

Post by coop »

I'll go ahead and start our annual WAY TO EARLY SOC II prediction thread...it's always fun to dig these up later in the year and see how the experts fair!

Valley is coming off back to back SOC II titles (something many said they could never do in the SOC II) and were not expected to even compete by most this past season. I know the Indians will be returning a core good players, but they do lose Sr QB Howard, and All state 1st team JJ hettinger. The Indians have a stud who will look to move into the QB position in Rolfe, and with a solid running game...Valley should beable to compete for a 3rd straight title.

Who do you like, and why?

4thgoal
SEOPS

Re: SOC II - 2013

Post by 4thgoal »

Wheelersburg returns E.Miller, D.Miller, and Claxon who were about 95% of the offense in 2012. Also, Chambliss, Warner, and Staggs return on the line and some big kids coming up on the line include Hall, Newsome, and Goodling. A.May came along this year as well as Acree. Martin will be very strong on defense (he played great this year even with a cast most of the year) and could get some offensive touches next year as well. With a year of learning the new offense behind them, I can see 2013 being an improved year from 2012 and they should be at or near the top of the SOCII and looking to make a playoff run.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Minford returns McCray and the rest of the line minus one senior (Dyer), Austin Carter, Stapleton, Justice and more.

It would probably be easier to name who they do lose which is Dyer, Farrar and Berry.

Stapleton will have another off season to learn the system and the line should be really good next year. Carter, Justice and Compton should all have a really good year running the ball.

As far as the SOC crown, its really too early to make a good prediction, but I think it will end up like this:

1.) Minford or Burg- they both return many starters from last year's playoff teams. If Minford can get a really good passing game to match the running game they should have, they will be tough to handle. If Burg's line gets stronger and they can run the ball more effectively and take pressure off Miller to get most of the offense, they will be very tough next year.

3.) Valley or West- Valley has lost a boat load of talent now 2 years in a row. Eventually it has to catch up with them. They did a remarkable job replacing Keller and Yates this year, but they will now face another good group of seniors to replace next year. West should be better than they were this year. They really missed having 2 very good RB's this year. Their line must get stronger and meaner for them to get much better. Speed is another thing they seemed to lack this year, but that will happen when playing freshmans and sophomores against junior and seniors.

5.) Waverly- Gone will be Bolins-Hitchins. They will have to find a way to run the football to beat any of the teams above.

6.) Northwest- they just cant seem to get it together. When they played Minford I was really surprised how well they came out throwing the football. After the 1st quarter it seemed like the good things they were able to do were stopped and they couldnt get anything going.

As of right now I see the SOC II going through Wheelersburg or Minford. As always, upsets will happen and who knows what it will all look like when the dust settles.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

BR, that's a pretty good analogy old buddy. Hard to disagree with your post at this point in the season! :lol: :lol: :lol:
BTW, thank you kindly for your generosity with the beverages prior to OSU/scUM! Had a blast with you guys that morning!

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Valley only loses 6 seniors. They return 13 starters and several others that have started. The punter and kicker were freshmen and another freshman started both way against Minford. A lot can change between now and next season, but the league title runs through Lucasville until someone beats them.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Crab's brother wrote:Valley only loses 6 seniors. They return 13 starters and several others that have started. The punter and kicker were freshmen and another freshman started both way against Minford. A lot can change between now and next season, but the league title runs through Lucasville until someone beats them.
Yeah crab, your post is as equally hard to discredit. Would be very unwise to not think the back-to-back champs won't have anything to say on the matter. Honestly, I look for the SOC II to be the strongest and deepest it has ever been with 4 pretty good football teams in it next year. Should be a hell of a season!

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

Yeah valley is not loosing as much as some people think. They are only loosing 6 players. The only person they can not replace is hettinger. I look for them to be more balanced next year. Rolfe looks to be a much better passer than Howard. My only concern is he needs to put on wieght this offseason. I think he played at 160 last year. I look for a big year from arrnett and shope next year.

starbase_318
Varsity

Post by starbase_318 »

Going to be another exciting year in the SOC. The top 4 teams will have a legitimate chance at winning the title.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

1. Burg - They will have a big Senior class led by some of the best skill in this part of the state. They will be tough to defend. They are beatable, but I feel like they are the best right now.

1a. Valley - They are the champs until someone detrones them. They return a lot of key player and have the momentum, wouldn't be shocked if they get 2 in a row.

3. West - Should be improved, I like how match-up against Burg.

4. Minford - Lose their best skill guys, but they have a good staff and program, they could contend.

5. Waverly - When will the bleeding stop? They have some talent.

6. Northwest - Last year in the Soc 2

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

Dont want to be disrespectful to any of the great seniors we had. We actually lost 9 seniors. Granted only a handfull seen significant playing time, but they were obviously all great leaders and were the glue of the 2012 team. Not trying to correct anyone. Just didnt want to leave any of them out or make them feel inadequate.
Now, as far as 2013. I look for Valley to be alot better than they were in 2012. They will be an experienced, senior heavy team. I believe the 2012 edition of the Valley Indians will not miss a step of Defense. In my opinion the defense will be as good if not better and the offense has the potential to be as good as the 2011 Valley offense.
As far as the SOC 2 is concerned. This will be the strongest and deepest the conference has ever been. Wheelersburg, Minford and Valley are returning alot and will be one heck of a battle for the SOC2 Championship. I also believe West will be back in the picture and may also have something to say about the conference crown. I think the league overall has the potential to put 4 teams in the playoffs in 2013.

playa_44
JV Team

Post by playa_44 »

If I was a betting man, I'd say Valley won't 3peat. Should be a great year in the SOC.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

The Oaf wrote:BR, that's a pretty good analogy old buddy. Hard to disagree with your post at this point in the season! :lol: :lol: :lol:
BTW, thank you kindly for your generosity with the beverages prior to OSU/scUM! Had a blast with you guys that morning!

I did as well. I may have drank one too many cold ones before the game as I spent 15 minutes during the second quarter going from A deck to C deck to use the bathroom. LOL.

The breakfast burritos at the tailgate were really good. They went well with the beverages. Obviously the win over scUM was the cherry on top.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Bleeding Red wrote:Minford returns McCray and the rest of the line minus one senior (Dyer), Austin Carter, Stapleton, Justice and more.

It would probably be easier to name who they do lose which is Dyer, Farrar and Berry.

Stapleton will have another off season to learn the system and the line should be really good next year. Carter, Justice and Compton should all have a really good year running the ball.

As far as the SOC crown, its really too early to make a good prediction, but I think it will end up like this:

1.) Minford or Burg- they both return many starters from last year's playoff teams. If Minford can get a really good passing game to match the running game they should have, they will be tough to handle. If Burg's line gets stronger and they can run the ball more effectively and take pressure off Miller to get most of the offense, they will be very tough next year.

3.) Valley or West- Valley has lost a boat load of talent now 2 years in a row. Eventually it has to catch up with them. They did a remarkable job replacing Keller and Yates this year, but they will now face another good group of seniors to replace next year. West should be better than they were this year. They really missed having 2 very good RB's this year. Their line must get stronger and meaner for them to get much better. Speed is another thing they seemed to lack this year, but that will happen when playing freshmans and sophomores against junior and seniors.

5.) Waverly- Gone will be Bolins-Hitchins. They will have to find a way to run the football to beat any of the teams above.

6.) Northwest- they just cant seem to get it together. When they played Minford I was really surprised how well they came out throwing the football. After the 1st quarter it seemed like the good things they were able to do were stopped and they couldnt get anything going.

As of right now I see the SOC II going through Wheelersburg or Minford. As always, upsets will happen and who knows what it will all look like when the dust settles.
Valley loses FAR less this year than they did last....NO disrespect to any of the 9 seniors, while they all contributed to the team 5-6 saw signifigant time. I think Valley will IMPROVE slightly at the QB spot, and that usually isnt the case when losing a SR QB.

Should be a fun season...

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

I honestly believe Valley again has the possibility of winning the SOC2, DV Region19 (assuming these new divisional changes will keep them there) and playing in some "final four" or state games. I think Valley is in the same situation as Clinton-Massie was until this year: You've been to the Regional Championship and now it's time to get over that hump.

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

Jason Vorhees wrote:I honestly believe Valley again has the possibility of winning the SOC2, DV Region19 (assuming these new divisional changes will keep them there) and playing in some "final four" or state games. I think Valley is in the same situation as Clinton-Massie was until this year: You've been to the Regional Championship and now it's time to get over that hump.
Valley will be in Div6 in 2013.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

nutronron2012 wrote:Valley will be in Div6 in 2013.
When will the official "count" numbers be released? I think the actual date was sometime in October, but I haven't seen the updated numbers anywhere yet. Based on the predictions I have seen of where the cut-offs will be, Burg will be D6 also, but they were really close to the top edge.

DreamTeam
Waterboy

Post by DreamTeam »

Eddie Miller will lead the Pirates to their first SOC since 2010! Look for him and the pirates to be explosive and for Eddie to have another career year!!!

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

DreamTeam wrote:Eddie Miller will lead the Pirates to their first SOC since 2010! Look for him and the pirates to be explosive and for Eddie to have another career year!!!
There going to have to prove to me that they can make a play when they need it and win a close game. Last year I didn't see it. The burg needs to work harder in the offseason and get bigger and stronger. There skill kids all need to add weight.

WildWestSider
Waterboy

Post by WildWestSider »

DreamTeam wrote:Eddie Miller will lead the Pirates to their first SOC since 2010! Look for him and the pirates to be explosive and for Eddie to have another career year!!!
For the first half of last season West did whatever they wanted with burg by going straight at them. West shot themselves in the foot with drive ending turnovers and penalties. And then the superior more athletic team prevailed in the second half with a better offense. Burg definately has to get biggger and stronger for the SOC crown, but Eddie will almost for sure have another great season.

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

4th n Goal wrote:
nutronron2012 wrote:Valley will be in Div6 in 2013.
When will the official "count" numbers be released? I think the actual date was sometime in October, but I haven't seen the updated numbers anywhere yet. Based on the predictions I have seen of where the cut-offs will be, Burg will be D6 also, but they were really close to the top edge.
Division I – 600 to 1,164;
Division II – 410 to 599;
Division III – 288 to 409;
Division IV – 216 to 287;
Division V – 159 to 215;
Division VI – 114 to 158,
Division VII – 30 to 111.

Return to “Football”