Ironton and Burg-40+ Years of Excellence--How?

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Re: Ironton and Burg-40+ Years of Excellence--How?

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

doubleplay643 wrote:Not that this is exclusive to Ironton or Burg, but I think becoming prevalent in a lot of communities, and that is the practice of "red-shirting" kids. 19 year old seniors is pretty commonplace now. I know an 8th grader that will be 15 before end of school this year and seems to be alot of freshman with drivers licenses around. Seems every parent trying to get an edge for "little Johnny" and starting him/her in kindergarten when they are 6+ or waiting to middle school and holding them at 6th/7th grade years.
We have a winner!

When you have 19 year olds playing against 17 year olds it is a huge difference. The physical and mental maturity of just one or two years is huge when kids are that age. I know one of the schools mentioned in this thread did have, and I think still does have, Pre-Kindergarten and Pre-1st. With those you don't even have to 'hold back' a kid. Also, there are exceptions to the rules of being 19, there have been kids playing their senior year at age 20 during football season in recent history.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying there is a thing wrong with this, in fact maybe other schools should follow suit. Also, don't think it is a coincidence that wheelersburg routinely has some of the highest academic ratings in the area. That extra year or two of maturity is huge on the field and in the classroom.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

IRONFALCON wrote:When you have 19 year olds playing against 17 year olds it is a huge difference. The physical and mental maturity of just one or two years is huge when kids are that age. I know one of the schools mentioned in this thread did have, and I think still does have, Pre-Kindergarten and Pre-1st. With those you don't even have to 'hold back' a kid. Also, there are exceptions to the rules of being 19, there have been kids playing their senior year at age 20 during football season in recent history.
The OHSAA rule is that you can not turn 19 after August 1 of the beginning of your senior year (or 15 before Aug.1 of your 8th grade year). There is a very small window of birthdays which would allow a senior to be 19 during the football season. If there were kids 20 years old during football season, it should have been reported to OHSAA. Wheelersburg does have a Pre-1st grade, but Pre-K is simply preschool.

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

4th n Goal wrote:The OHSAA rule is that you can not turn 19 after August 1 of the beginning of your senior year (or 15 before Aug.1 of your 8th grade year). There is a very small window of birthdays which would allow a senior to be 19 during the football season. If there were kids 20 years old during football season, it should have been reported to OHSAA. Wheelersburg does have a Pre-1st grade, but Pre-K is simply preschool.
Like many OHSAA rules there are exceptions to that one. One being that if a student repeats a grade before 3rd grade for academic reasons, the commisioner's office can deem them eligible.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

4th n Goal wrote:
IRONFALCON wrote:When you have 19 year olds playing against 17 year olds it is a huge difference. The physical and mental maturity of just one or two years is huge when kids are that age. I know one of the schools mentioned in this thread did have, and I think still does have, Pre-Kindergarten and Pre-1st. With those you don't even have to 'hold back' a kid. Also, there are exceptions to the rules of being 19, there have been kids playing their senior year at age 20 during football season in recent history.
The OHSAA rule is that you can not turn 19 after August 1 of the beginning of your senior year (or 15 before Aug.1 of your 8th grade year). There is a very small window of birthdays which would allow a senior to be 19 during the football season. If there were kids 20 years old during football season, it should have been reported to OHSAA. Wheelersburg does have a Pre-1st grade, but Pre-K is simply preschool.
Don't you mean you cannot turn 19 before August 1. Clearly you can turn 19 after August 1st. If you start your senior year as an 18yr old and then turn 19 in October that is fine, probably mean you cannot turn 19 before August 1 if I am thinking right.

It would be an interesting stat to see the birthdays or ages of some area programs and see if there was a trend. I for one believe you should give a kid the best advantage possibly academically and athletically, so if that means more mature, better student, better athlete, then there is nothing wrong with that at all. I am just curious if statistically there are some schools this is more commonplace than others.

Kentucky Trojan
SE

Post by Kentucky Trojan »

3 r's.........

Retention
Recruitment
Reloading

chillman
Waterboy

Post by chillman »

In the 70's i know of no transfers or 'recruits' and ironton won about 9 games a year. starting in the 80's a guy or two a year would transfer to ironton, i have never,ever heard of anybody 'recruiting' someone. these kids just wanted to play for lutz- and get some exposure, to increase their chances of a scholarship, and that happens all over the country. Thats just a product of success. Kids don't transfer to programs that consistently lose. As for wheelersburg- it has to help them having so many non-football playing schools close by. south webster,clay, new boston. when you think about it, that is a tremendous advantage for portsmouth, burg, etc. that is a guaranteed pipeline of kids from nearby schools, year after year.

Kentucky Trojan
SE

chillman wrote:In the 70's i know of no transfers or 'recruits' and ironton won about 9 games a year. starting in the 80's a guy or two a year would transfer to ironton, i have never,ever heard of anybody 'recruiting' someone. these kids just wanted to play for lutz- and get some exposure, to increase their chances of a scholarship, and that happens all over the country. Thats just a product of success. Kids don't transfer to programs that consistently lose. As for wheelersburg- it has to help them having so many non-football playing schools close by. south webster,clay, new boston. when you think about it, that is a tremendous advantage for portsmouth, burg, etc. that is a guaranteed pipeline of kids from nearby schools, year after year.
uh huh...

:roll:

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Haters call it recruiting. Its called kids wanting to win so they transfer to teams that give them the best shot at winning and going to the playoffs. Face it you're best player on a team that might win 4 games why not go to a playoff team to show your skills off.

Kentucky Trojan
SE

tigercannon71 wrote:Haters call it recruiting. Its called kids wanting to win so they transfer to teams that give them the best shot at winning and going to the playoffs. Face it you're best player on a team that might win 4 games why not go to a playoff team to show your skills off.
Hater?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Remember 1984?

:mrgreen:

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

I was 7 so no I dont remember 84.

dreamweaver
Varsity

Post by dreamweaver »

Chillman, in the 70's Ironton was one of the only programs to lift weights, they were dominating local football for that very reason. Alot of Lutz initial success came at the hands of the weight lifting coach. Sorry forget his name. THEN the transfers poured in. Plenty of recruiting went on to, don't kid yourself. It was too easy.

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

Post by Gray Fighting Tiger »

I think his name was Bill Trent.

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

Kentucky Trojan wrote:
tigercannon71 wrote:Haters call it recruiting. Its called kids wanting to win so they transfer to teams that give them the best shot at winning and going to the playoffs. Face it you're best player on a team that might win 4 games why not go to a playoff team to show your skills off.
Hater?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Remember 1984?

I remember 1984, it was the first time Portsmouth had beaten us since I was in high school. It was the first time we had lost a regular season game in over 6 years. Itbwas a year that Portsmouth probably should have went to a state title game.

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

Love this talk of recruiting. There was so much for Ironton coaches to give to "recruits" in the late 70s and 80s.

Kids transferred to Ironton for opportunity. There programs were perennial losers. By the way, who were all of these recruits? What school did they come from? Check out the records of those schools before they transferred.
If Ironton was such good "recruiters" why didn't any kids transfer to Ironton from Coal Grove or Wheelersburg during the same time period?
You may go back to the discussion now. It has been entertaining.

Kentucky Trojan
SE

Dinocrocetti wrote:I remember 1984, it was the first time Portsmouth had beaten us since I was in high school. It was the first time we had lost a regular season game in over 6 years. Itbwas a year that Portsmouth probably should have went to a state title game.
Should have...but didn't...

Kentucky Trojan
SE

Dinocrocetti wrote:Love this talk of recruiting. There was so much for Ironton coaches to give to "recruits" in the late 70s and 80s.

Kids transferred to Ironton for opportunity. There programs were perennial losers. By the way, who were all of these recruits? What school did they come from? Check out the records of those schools before they transferred.
If Ironton was such good "recruiters" why didn't any kids transfer to Ironton from Coal Grove or Wheelersburg during the same time period?
Same old answer...

...so many recruits...

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

Kentucky Trojan wrote:
Dinocrocetti wrote:Love this talk of recruiting. There was so much for Ironton coaches to give to "recruits" in the late 70s and 80s.

Same old answer...

...so many recruits...

The truth never needs to change. Still waiting on a list of "recruits" and exactly what they got in return

dreamweaver
Varsity

Post by dreamweaver »

Yea plenty of kids wanted to come play for Bob. That makes it easy when immensely talented kids wanna come play.

kevbk6222
JV Team

Post by kevbk6222 »

dreamweaver wrote:Yea plenty of kids wanted to come play for Bob. That makes it easy when immensely talented kids wanna come play.
that isnt recruiting though. people implying that he went on the recruiting trail getting players to transfer is pretty slanderous....

Kentucky Trojan
SE

kevbk6222 wrote:
dreamweaver wrote:Yea plenty of kids wanted to come play for Bob. That makes it easy when immensely talented kids wanna come play.
that isnt recruiting though. people implying that he went on the recruiting trail getting players to transfer is pretty slanderous....
Nobody said that Lutz did the recruiting...

I have never had a conversation with him.

...I was recruited.

Dinocrocetti knows that I was...

Return to “Football”