JV Team

Re: 2013 Portsmouth West Senators

Post by playa_44 »

:122245

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Lol, wow. I'm sorry for making an honest prediction, based off what I have seen and prior knowledge. Also, what word would you like me to use when talking about a players skill? Doesn't talent mean more than potential? Who am I to judge? I don't know, But I guess if we're experts we would be on television, rather than a site making predictions on some little website.

playa_44
JV Team

Post by playa_44 »

Talent mean more than potential? What? Doesn't make sense to me.And more correctly WHO ARE you to judge, which is what you are doing and why I decided to disagree with you. Let s hope you are not a coach or parent of a kid. I can hear you now. Ok kids, you are not near as talented as those kids at the other schools, so you probably won't win every game, buy hey, go out and give it your all and hope for 3rd place.lol

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

I meant that the word talent encompasses more than the word potential. It seems that you and dream weaver misunderstood what I was saying. Talent a word judges a players skill level and ability. Anyone can judge a players talent, because its simply how they perform on the field. Regardless, it's a moot point. I am not player and i do not have a child on the team. Im not going into detail about my credentials, but I have played, scouted, and coached enough football in my lifetime to have a good idea if a team will be successful or not. And even if i have never been a part of organized football, it doesn't matter it's pure speculation. Besides, saying we will be successful, I'm just predicting that we will not be undefeated. I have played on and coached on undefeated squads, they have the capability, but it is so hard to do. Remember, the best team in school history went 8-2.

I understand that players do read this stuff, and I'm not encouraging them to lose. But, this is a place is for old guys like all of us to make predictions and bull crap. If we didnt have differing views, it would just be a bunch of people agreeing with each other.

Westsider1993
JV Team

Post by Westsider1993 »

Hey Sider don't even bring up the best West team ever, because that is definitely an argument that no one will ever win. That 8-2 team would of ended there season at 8-2 if they had played just a few years earlier. Would have never made the playoffs.

playa_44
JV Team

Post by playa_44 »

Yea, yea, whatever. Bottom line sider. There are just too many factors to take into consideration besides TALENT when speculating on win loss. There are so many other things to take into account. I go back to my original post, DUMB comment, just agree to disagree.

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

2002 team was the best in school history, fact. Regional champ and 2nd in the state.

WildWestSider
Waterboy

Post by WildWestSider »

People can say the 2002 team wasn't the best, but you can't argue facts. Fact is they were regional champions and the 2nd best division 4 team in the state. No other team has done that. No would have, could have, should haves here. That's a fact

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

when I am considering the best I dont consider who accomplished the most on the feild. I agree you cant argue that unless you would have a couple undefeated state champs to compare. I try to compare who I think would win if teams from different yrs went head to head. I honestly dont think the burgs state championship team is their best team ever, they accomplished the most but I am not so sure other teams could not have done the same thing that they accomplished if they had the same run to the championship. In other yrs that team very well could have been eliminated in rd 1. You guys are acting like this guy predicted a 3-7 record, 7-3 is not that far fetched.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

West Side Pride wrote:2002 team was the best in school history, fact. Regional champ and 2nd in the state.
Agree 100% no other team in west's history woulda/coulda/shoulda won 4 straight playoff games. It hasn't happened from anyone in SEO in 10 years, that tells you how hard that is to do! :roll:

West's 2002 not the best in school history? What complete folly! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

playa_44 wrote:Yea, yea, whatever. Bottom line sider. There are just too many factors to take into consideration besides TALENT when speculating on win loss. There are so many other things to take into account. I go back to my original post, DUMB comment, just agree to disagree.
I can buy that, injuries, disciplinary problems, player development always factor in during the season. Besides, I hope that I eat my words and we go better than 7-3.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Since were on the topic, best teams in West History (In my opinion):
1. 2002, 12-3, State Runners up
2. 1970, 9-1, Lost to Notre Dame in basically what was the State Championship Game at the time
3. 2008, 11-1, Absolutely dominant at times
4. 1990, 10-1, First Undefeated team, has only victory over Ironton
5. 1984, 9-1, lost to Boomer Reed led Portsmouth

3 and 4 are a toss up

debate

blue53
All State

Post by blue53 »

the 02 season could be debated and argued that if they didn't play PHS in Ironton in 2 feet of mud, a PHS team with alot of speed and playing very good ball would have beaten West for the 2nd time that season.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

blue53 wrote:the 02 season could be debated and argued that if they didn't play PHS in Ironton in 2 feet of mud, a PHS team with alot of speed and playing very good ball would have beaten West for the 2nd time that season.

West was a much better team at that time of the season. Justified by the win over Ursuline the following week, whom was a much much better team.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Yeah, first match up against Portsmouth was in that shotgun garbage that Sammons ran. Second time around was with Cantrell blocking for Lens in straight smash mouth, power football. That was not a finesse team and had no business running the shotgun. When they played to their strength, they were a completely different club. 1988 team needs to be mentioned among the all-time West teams as well.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

blue53 wrote:the 02 season could be debated and argued that if they didn't play PHS in Ironton in 2 feet of mud, a PHS team with alot of speed and playing very good ball would have beaten West for the 2nd time that season.
At what position was PHS faster? :roll:

blue53
All State

Post by blue53 »

I never said PHS was faster, Just an observation that PHS was not the kind of team to ground and pound. West definately had the beef up front for that type of game.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

The point is, regardless of field conditions, PHS stood no chance against West when they ran their power offense as opposed to that soft shotgun crap that they used prior to the start of the playoffs. Pretty simple..... :roll:

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

At the end of the season, West was starting around 4 seniors on both sides of the ball. So we return alot of starters. Alot of them were sophomores and even a freshman. We also had a couple kids out for the year that probably would've started, including Reynolds whom is really good. The rising sophomores have several more who will contribute. Add all of that together, and we should be significantly better.

I see nothing wrong with what sider said. Its his opinion. We have a tough schedule next year.

sider123
Waterboy

Post by sider123 »

id say the 2011 west team would def be in the top 5 best west teams ever with powerful lines on both sides of the ball!!

Return to “Football”