2013 Portsmouth West Senators

West Side Pride
All Conference

Re: 2013 Portsmouth West Senators

Post by West Side Pride »

Your not getting it!!! Last year we had speed and west beat burg 40 to 14, they graduated. West doesn't now have 4.5 or 4.6 speed, so then what???
You get lead blocking and double team to get every yard you can. By doing that you control the clock and take away time from the other teams
offense. There is alot more to it than that, but that's it in a nutshell. Ask any GOOD coach!

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

Oh i'm getting it fine . you are not ... like i posted originally , EVERY year the off season posters on here claim the key to success is " hit the weights this summer " whether you return speed or size or a combo of both . my point is there is alot of other factors that determine whether a team is successful or not . If an undisciplined , overweigh , lineman with poor footwork increases his bench 30 lbs and his squat 60 it wont help the team any at all if he stays undisciplined and out of shape . ( only an example ) like I said before weight training certainly has a place but other things are important also.

Sider_PC
Riding the Bench

Post by Sider_PC »

I agree with what West Side Pride is saying. The term "hit the weight room" means strength and speed training. The weight room needs to be ran in a way that players are able to lift for speed and strenght. The weight room also means that kids will be working on footwork, and making themselves more agile. Stretching before and after training is also crutial.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Watching the championship games this weekend I saw Clinton-Massie for the first time. They are wishbone team and we run the T, but basically they are the same. They run most of their plays with at least one split end where we are two tight ends when we are in the T. For Massie it seemed to keep the defense honest and didn't allow them to load the box as much. Seemed like a simple effective upgrade.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Valley was good the last two years because of their line play, both defensively and offensively. LU beat them because they stacked the box and stopped the run.

Wheelersburg put up some impressive offensive numbers. But they didn't have good enough line play. They will continue to struggle against good teams until they can run the ball better.

Before Triplett got here and even his first year, we weren't physically able to compete. You're right it may get blew out of proportion, but it is crucial to having a good football team.

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

Thanks P.C. but he might still need a picture, I took for granted that he understood it's not just bulk, it's agilities, acceleration, and coordination.
Jeesh, easier to get across to 16 year old girls.....and they think they know everything too!!!

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Quality state level teams have this in common
Strong agile offensive line
They run the ball effectively to set up the pass.
Great Coaching
Defense

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

sorry guys I'll learn to trust my instincts better . My very first thought when I read " GET IN THE WEIGHT ROOM THIS SUMMER" was improved agility . I'm certain thats what the guy meant . He said hit the weights twice and somehow I still missed it . shame on me . Hopefully they work really hard in the weight room and get really fast , and agile , and coordinated and have a great season in 2013 .

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

ManitouDan wrote:sorry guys I'll learn to trust my instincts better . My very first thought when I read " GET IN THE WEIGHT ROOM THIS SUMMER" was improved agility . I'm certain thats what the guy meant . He said hit the weights twice and somehow I still missed it . shame on me . Hopefully they work really hard in the weight room and get really fast , and agile , and coordinated and have a great season in 2013 .
What your not connecting is that there is a direct connection between weight lifting and speed development.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

With what we have coming back, I would say we should be around 3rd in the league.
Right now, Valley and burg have a lot coming back and probably have a little bit of an edge on talent. I think we are probably a little more talented than the other 3 however. I would say a good outlook would be around 7-3 with a playoff birth.

playa_44
JV Team

Post by playa_44 »

Sider, that is why they play the game.It is high school. Anything can happen,look at this year. West has some very talented kids out there next year and I bet they are hungry to prove themselves. Already giving the edge to your competitors is crazy.

WildWestSider
Waterboy

Post by WildWestSider »

sider wrote:With what we have coming back, I would say we should be around 3rd in the league.
Right now, Valley and burg have a lot coming back and probably have a little bit of an edge on talent. I think we are probably a little more talented than the other 3 however. I would say a good outlook would be around 7-3 with a playoff birth.
I think there is a difference between talent and football players. On paper it appears that speed and strength wise west is behind say Burg and Valley. But so was this years team? We was the clear favorites at the beginning of the year. D-1 college recruits, 400 pound bench pressers and 4.6 and 4.7 runners, but we see where that took us. That senior class did not contain football players. As for the upcoming Seniors. There are no standouts, but I can guarantee you almost everyone of them are meaner than any single one of the past seniors. Examples. When you see the Howell boys get a sack at DE they hit and get up pumped ready to go again. This seniors this year showed absolutely zero enthusiasm. Not saying being cocky and disrespectful, but be excited! Justin scott will do something and he will let the other guys know bout it! Thats part of football! I look for tristain white and Nate reynolds to be animals! I loved watching Reynolds hit even as a sophomore in the varsity games! Absolutely no fear . You couldn't say that bout the boys this year. And the list goes on Bricker, Morgan, kouns, Thompson...These boys are football hungry and play Westside football. I've watched this group all the way up and they've always found ways to win. They won't put up 50 points a game but they wear and tear until there opponent is beat up and don't want much more. I expect much of the same this year. The games against Minford, Valley, and Burg will be better than what people think, wait and see.

playa_44
JV Team

Post by playa_44 »

The class that will be juniors next year is a heck of a great group ya'll got too. I'd say West will be a contender.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

playa_44 wrote:Sider, that is why they play the game.It is high school. Anything can happen,look at this year. West has some very talented kids out there next year and I bet they are hungry to prove themselves. Already giving the edge to your competitors is crazy.
I'm not trying to encourage anyone to be 7-3, I hope we win every game! It would be possible for this group to go 10-0, but I was just giving my realistic prediction. If this group decides to train hard and do the little things right, they can be as good as they want. I how talented they are, it will just be hard to be beat both Valley and/or Burg. They have the momentum and a lot returning. Then when you throw Liberty Union in as non-conference opponent (which I think we can win), its easy to slip up a few times.

WildWestSider
Waterboy

Post by WildWestSider »

playa_44 wrote:The class that will be juniors next year is a heck of a great group ya'll got too. I'd say West will be a contender.
Forgot to mention them too. Yes, West Can get it done if they put in the work.

playa_44
JV Team

Post by playa_44 »

sider wrote:
playa_44 wrote:Sider, that is why they play the game.It is high school. Anything can happen,look at this year. West has some very talented kids out there next year and I bet they are hungry to prove themselves. Already giving the edge to your competitors is crazy.
I'm not trying to encourage anyone to be 7-3, I hope we win every game! It would be possible for this group to go 10-0, but I was just giving my realistic prediction. If this group decides to train hard and do the little things right, they can be as good as they want. I how talented they are, it will just be hard to be beat both Valley and/or Burg. They have the momentum and a lot returning. Then when you throw Liberty Union in as non-conference opponent (which I think we can win), its easy to slip up a few times.

Wow, kind of dumb comments sorry. Could not agree with you less.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

playa_44 wrote:
sider wrote:

Wow, kind of dumb comments sorry. Could not agree with you less.
What about those comments were dumb? The guy gave his honest opinion. Just because he is not acting like a West chest-thumper and predicting a 10-0 season, it doesn't make him wrong.

dreamweaver
Varsity

Post by dreamweaver »

Sure doesn't make him right either. Both are extremes and not very smart. He the talent expert on here?lmao

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

dreamweaver wrote:Sure doesn't make him right either. Both are extremes and not very smart. He the talent expert on here?lmao
So saying West could be 7-3 is extreme? WOW!

dreamweaver
Varsity

Post by dreamweaver »

Haha that is hilarious. Comments regarding 'TALENT" are ridiculous. Sometimes persistence overcomes all the talent in the world. Even that is not the point. It is just a ridiculous basis to comment on. Lets just argue over "beauty" of each player too.lol

Return to “Football”