Reedsville Eastern to forfeit games???

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Reedsville Eastern to forfeit games???

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

THAT'S SAD.

CoachBrittonFL
Freshman Team

Post by CoachBrittonFL »

No one at Eastern will get in any kind of trouble for this. 24 boys and 9 seniors have to watch there season go to the way side for some admistration error. Everything will just be swept under the rug and adminstratiors will move on like nothing ever happened. Its sad but true I am not sure which administrator is to blame but someone should step up and take accountablilty. You just hurt so many people in the community by your mistake be an adult and come forward.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Bad break for the Eagles (kids, coaches, parents).

However, next time any of you guys forget to put an order of fries in my McDonalds order, I plan to get on an Internet forum and start calling for you to be fired.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

oldmo31
Varsity

Post by oldmo31 »

1000 posts and that's the best you can come up with KARL.

supermama
Freshman Team

Post by supermama »

They have to forfeit 2 games because of a paperwork foul-up. Eastern did what was right. As soon as they knew of the error, they let the OHSAA know and asked their advice on how to handle this matter. They followed what OHSAA told them to do. So we were honest and turned ourselves in. If we had just kept our mouths shut, it probably wouldn't have been discovered until after the playoffs. So hats off to us for being honest. When similar things like this have happened in the past, OHSAA levied a fine of around $100.00. But in our case, we are getting the severest punishment that can be handed down. OHSAA is a joke! They never address the rampant dealings of the private schools. Does anyone out there really believe that the Newark Cath., who have the most state tournament appearances in volleyball and are in the top five appearances in baseball, really don't recruit?????? and manipulate their enrollment numbers to stay DIV. Its time the OHSAA deals with the important stuff and stops hammering the public schools that play by the rules and finally have a good group of athletes that have made it to the playoffs.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I understand the need for the rule but, I'd like to see the State be more forgiving---If a school takes a kid in and decides that they will be eligible play the kid. A whole season is being thrown away because of a date on apiece of paper. The flip side is if you (The School System) are unsure how it will go---hold the kid out. If you have a kid actually move in the district late (pick a reason---and sports aren't the only reason people move) and you are confident they will be eligible once the paperwork is cleared by the State play them. This kid clearly popped eligible----it was just after game 3. Seems like a shame to ruin a whole teams season since the player is eligible now.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

When a kid transfers a whole lot of stuff has to happen. First, whomever enrolls the student should let the kid and parents know that if they plan on playing a sport, they must go to the AD and get the appropriate paperwork started, yes even if you move into the district, you must fill out transfer papers and submit them for approval from the ohsaa before they are eligible. The coach should ask any new player if they have filled out the appropriate paperwork and then check with the AD to make sure they have. Second, the AD should get every coaches roster to check for each players academic and ohsaa eligibility. Third, the Principals should ask the AD if he or she has checked everyone.

The transferring rule on moving to a new district has new rules. Even if you change addresses, you must get a new copy of your drivers liscense and voter registration address changed then notarized then you submit that to the AD who submits it to the Ohsaa. The turnaround time is usually 3 or 4 days if the paperwork is filled out right.

As someone who handles this situation at a school, let me tell you I have woke up in the middle of the night wondering if I had messed up. An entire season can come crashing down due to a clerical error. If the ohsaa truly cared, they would have investigation units set up. However, they let each school do its own reporting.

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

I think it's pretty asinine to call for someone to lose their job for an single error. It's an unfortunate circumstance, but if the administrator has been doing a good job overall he shouldn't lose his job because of this. Talk about a knee-jerk overreaction.

Now, if this administrator has been doing a poor job and this is just another issue then his job should be re-evaluated, but to call for his job simply because of this is going overboard.

ReedsvilleEaglesFan
Freshman Team

Post by ReedsvilleEaglesFan »

I think it is humerous that people get on here and bash the OHSAA for a rule that all other schools have to follow. If the admin did not know the rule, shame on them. And yes they should be held accountable. Karl you would probably be the first one to go into McD's and rip me if I do screw up your order. :122245
ACC Bigz many of us could respond to your last sentence, and I am sure some will so I will leave it alone for now. I am sure some comments are forthcoming though, to say the least. :?

mojo
Waterboy

Post by mojo »

supermama wrote:They have to forfeit 2 games because of a paperwork foul-up. Eastern did what was right. As soon as they knew of the error, they let the OHSAA know and asked their advice on how to handle this matter. They followed what OHSAA told them to do. So we were honest and turned ourselves in. If we had just kept our mouths shut, it probably wouldn't have been discovered until after the playoffs. So hats off to us for being honest. When similar things like this have happened in the past, OHSAA levied a fine of around $100.00. But in our case, we are getting the severest punishment that can be handed down. OHSAA is a joke! They never address the rampant dealings of the private schools. Does anyone out there really believe that the Newark Cath., who have the most state tournament appearances in volleyball and are in the top five appearances in baseball, really don't recruit?????? and manipulate their enrollment numbers to stay DIV. Its time the OHSAA deals with the important stuff and stops hammering the public schools that play by the rules and finally have a good group of athletes that have made it to the playoffs.
I agree with you 100% ! finally , something Southen & Eastern can agree on !!

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

sad to hear they had a nice team

edforshey
Varsity

Post by edforshey »

Ok, What games did they forfeit?
This has a huge bearing on the WV Playoffs also.

Eaglepapaw
S

Post by Eaglepapaw »

edforshey wrote:Ok, What games did they forfeit?
This has a huge bearing on the WV Playoffs also.
According to Joe Eitel they forfeited 2 games,Waterford and South Gallia and are 10th in Region 23.

http://www.joeeitel.com/hsfoot/teams.js ... teamID=494

fantastic50
Waterboy

Post by fantastic50 »

I saw a copy of the e-mail that the OHSAA sent to Joe, and can confirm that Eastern forfeited those two wins. If River wins, they're in. If River unexpected loses, then it's a close call between River, Eastern, and Portsmouth Notre Dame, provided that the latter two win.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Super Trooper wrote:3 game forfeit due to an administrative error on a player
Wins should stay and the administrator needs to go to the unemployment line. It is time for the people that make the error to be punished and not the players.

28Buck
Freshman Team

Post by 28Buck »

I remember a few years ago Minford was in the exact same situation. Coach put in a freshman in a blowout win and played one series. The AD forgot to mention to the coach the boy was inelgible at the time because of transfer rules. Minford ended up finding out after one of their biggest wins and almost cost them a chance in the playoffs and were knocked down a seed. Sad for the players whenever something out of their control comes back to punish them.

bdubya
Varsity

Post by bdubya »

A link to a story that has quotes from the Eastern superintendent on this matter.

http://mydailysentinel.com/pages/full_s ... op_stories

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

bdubya - Thanks for sharing this additional information. I refrained from commenting until now, as I figured there was more to the story, and that if anyone would bring it to light, you would! :122245 While the OHSAA is notorious for not using common sense and "doing the right thing", it sounds as though in this situation, there was no intent to mislead anyone, no intent to cheat, no malice, etc., etc. For once in our lifetimes, let's hope the OHSAA uses the gray matter and reverses their ruling of two forfeitures. It was be a travesty to do otherwise, in my opinion.

bdubya
Varsity

Post by bdubya »

I got a head's-up on this last night and got the ball rolling, but Sarah Hawley deserves almost all the credit on this one. Alex Hawley also deserves more praise on this one than me. He was out there at 8 a.m. this morning to get things a going.

Regardless, thanks for the kind words Steely Dan. Let's just hope your thoughts on how the OHSAA should handle this come to light.

It most definitely would be a travesty if this stands.

surfsider
All State

Post by surfsider »

I honestly doubt the OHSAA changes its stand on this. Looks like River needs to beat Frontier and it's in playoffs.

Return to “Football”