Week 9: Wheelersburg (7-1, 3-0) @ Valley (8-0, 3-0)

Alitown
Freshman Team

Re: Week 9: Wheelersburg (7-1, 3-0) @ Valley (8-0, 3-0)

Post by Alitown »

izladoom wrote:Yeah you can not compare this team to last years team. I'm not sure I have ever seen anything like it. They loose so many talented kids and come back so strong and different. Things are more balanced now. You can not just try to stop one person. So many kids are getting carries even shope gets a few from the wr spot. I think This team can pass it but they have not had to.
Do you really think last years team was one dimensional? I really find it hard to believe this years team is more balanced than last. I think their defense this year is a lot stronger than last year. This is Valley's biggest test but I also believe this is one of the best Defenses Burg has played all year.

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

A-Bomb wrote:this will be valleys first real test.. should be a good one!!

wheelersburg 21
valley 14
Coal Grove was Valleys first real test. This is Valleys first playoff game and that's how it has to be looked at.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

Alitown wrote:
izladoom wrote:Yeah you can not compare this team to last years team. I'm not sure I have ever seen anything like it. They loose so many talented kids and come back so strong and different. Things are more balanced now. You can not just try to stop one person. So many kids are getting carries even shope gets a few from the wr spot. I think This team can pass it but they have not had to.
Do you really think last years team was one dimensional? I really find it hard to believe this years team is more balanced than last. I think their defense this year is a lot stronger than last year. This is Valley's biggest test but I also believe this is one of the best Defenses Burg has played all year.

Sorry what I meant was the carries are more balanced out. It's no longer just one back getting most of the touches. Blake ran the ball but not like will. I think the pass rush is better this year but the pass coverage is not even close to last year with loosing Yates and Dwyer.

Bo_Diaz
JV Team

Post by Bo_Diaz »

Last year's team was the exact opposite of one dimensional. Several different weapons, along with a much more prolific passing game. The running game has probably accounted for 90% of this year's offense. In no way is that a bad thing! This team attacks between the tackles and on the edges with the running game, using various guys to carry the ball. While Yates was probably the best QB to play at Valley, Howard is a much more physical runner. Yates was elusive and was a bigger threat to throw while on the run. Howard lowers his shoulder and runs through people. The combination of Arnett, Rawlins, and Jordan x2 out of the backfield has been extremely productive, and each brings a different running style to the offense. The passing game has been much more productive lately as Clark-Holbrook, Dunn, West, Shope, etc have all made some plays through the air.

This game is almost a flip flop in styles from past years. Burg has normally been the power running team, while Valley has been the threat from a passing stand point. I watched Burg-Minford last week and feel that the Indians will be able to move the ball on the ground, and in order to keep this game close they will have to! I think they have to limit Burg's offensive possessions and keep them out of a rythm offensively. The more Burg has the ball, the greater the odds that their offense will exploit a matchup and put Valley in a comeback situation; a situation that doesn't suit Valley's offensive strength. As a Valley fan, I'd like to think Burg has a few more turnovers left in them but I'm sure taking care of the ball has been emphasis in practice this week. If Valley makes sloppy mistakes (penalties/turnovers/etc) they are putting themselves at a disadvantage that a good team like Burg does not need. Valley can win this game, and I don't think Burg is so much better than Valley that it will require a flawless effort from the Indians... But a flawless effort wouldn't hurt!

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

if valley is smart they will pop running plays between the tackles all night and mix in a few outside running plays and downfield passes.

i dont know why minford didnt run up the middle more often than the did. their fullback had nearly 50 yards on 6 touches up the middle in the first half.

burgs weak area on defense are the linebackers and secondary. i dont think valley will have much success throwing the ball just because they arent a throwing team. but they should be able to run right down burg's throat.

go valley!

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

If Burg cleans up the penalties and turnovers, I think they will be fine this week. You can't have 5 turnovers and 100 yards in penalties and expect to win every week. Right now the offense is really clicking well. The last 2 weeks they are averaging 480 yds/game and 405 yds/game for the season. The big questions are how will Valley react to someone having success moving the ball against them and can they score enough points to keep them in the game?

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

4th n Goal wrote:If Burg cleans up the penalties and turnovers, I think they will be fine this week. You can't have 5 turnovers and 100 yards in penalties and expect to win every week. Right now the offense is really clicking well. The last 2 weeks they are averaging 480 yds/game and 405 yds/game for the season. The big questions are how will Valley react to someone having success moving the ball against them and can they score enough points to keep them in the game?
The answer you're looking for is "NO". Valley will not win in a shootout but can win in a physical game. This will be a slobberknocker ( very physical game) just don't want to see any kids hauled out on stretchers. I'm taking Valley in a very physical, hard fought game. 34-28 Valley

28Buck
Freshman Team

Post by 28Buck »

Heart says Valley but head says Burg. Valley will keep it close for a half but I see Burg pulling away.... 35-14. Good luck to both teams!

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

nutronron2012 wrote:
4th n Goal wrote:If Burg cleans up the penalties and turnovers, I think they will be fine this week. You can't have 5 turnovers and 100 yards in penalties and expect to win every week. Right now the offense is really clicking well. The last 2 weeks they are averaging 480 yds/game and 405 yds/game for the season. The big questions are how will Valley react to someone having success moving the ball against them and can they score enough points to keep them in the game?
The answer you're looking for is "NO". Valley will not win in a shootout but can win in a physical game. This will be a slobberknocker ( very physical game) just don't want to see any kids hauled out on stretchers. I'm taking Valley in a very physical, hard fought game. 34-28 Valley
To me, 34-28 would be somewhat of a shootout. If Valley is going to win, I think they will have to hold Burg to around 14 points. If Valley could manage to score 34, that would be giving too many posessions to Burg and increasing our chances of winning unless those 5 scoring drives all lasted about 8 minutes.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

nutronron2012 wrote:

I would think Valley wants this game to be in the 20's, not 34-28. I believe they want to control the ball, which is all we saw on here that Minford was going to do and it just didn't happen.

Bottomline is this, Burg wants to be the rabbitt with the hurry up no huddle offense and scoring at will. Valley wants to be the tortoise . Where they control the ball and the clock and have longggggggggggg sustained scoring drives and keep the rabbitt on the sidelines.

This by far the two best teams in the county this year and like was said, probably two of the best in region 19. I wouldn't be surprised to see these two matchup again in about 3-4 weeks in the playoffs.

Good luck Pirates. Looking forward to watching this one. Should be a dandy

here4fun
Varsity

Post by here4fun »

Is it Friday yet......... :? This has been the longest week out 8 so far....!!!!!

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:
nutronron2012 wrote:

I would think Valley wants this game to be in the 20's, not 34-28. I believe they want to control the ball, which is all we saw on here that Minford was going to do and it just didn't happen.

Bottomline is this, Burg wants to be the rabbitt with the hurry up no huddle offense and scoring at will. Valley wants to be the tortoise . Where they control the ball and the clock and have longggggggggggg sustained scoring drives and keep the rabbitt on the sidelines.

This by far the two best teams in the county this year and like was said, probably two of the best in region 19. I wouldn't be surprised to see these two matchup again in about 3-4 weeks in the playoffs.

Good luck Pirates. Looking forward to watching this one. Should be a dandy
I agree with you 100% and i hope Valley can slow Burg down but I dont think it will be that easy. Valley would like to keep it low but i believe Burg is very good and explosive. I would see holding them to 28 points slowing them down. Cant wait till Friday. Hope this game lives up to the Hype. I think it will.

here4fun
Varsity

Post by here4fun »

nutronron2012 wrote:
starbase_318 wrote:I've been curious how much is brought in at the gate/concessions during these type SOC II games? Does anyone know?
It would be hard to tell without exact attendence numbers but if you have 5000 people at a game (possibly little over for Burg vs Valley and Minford vs Valley this year). You have early ticket sales where students get ticket @ $3 and adults @ $4. And Grandparents of players get a discount, but i would guess upwards between $20k - $25k, possibly more. And you would think that concessions would make a number close to this if not more. Just a guess though. I'm sure and AD would have a better guesstimate
It dont matter how much your ticket is you will get your money's worth Friday night....!!!!!! I wish they would hold one of the SOC II games every Saturday night. That would pack the house on games like this one.Not that is not already going to be.

ole indian
Waterboy

Post by ole indian »

Should be a good one! I think Valley can have some success running the ball between the tackles as well as some play action passes. Wheelersburg offense reminds me a lot of Valley's last year, except without a featured RB. It was shocking to see the Miller kid, who I think is a great QB, put the ball on the ground so many times, and the QB-RB exchanges were not clean. Weird to be happening this late in the season. Of course there was quite a bit of frustration displayed among Eddie and the offense during the first half of the Minford game, which could be a plus for Valley. Final Score 24-21 Valley

Piratefan2
Varsity

Post by Piratefan2 »

Pirates win this one!!!! Until I personally see it, I don't think valley is close to da burg this year as far as team talent???? I'm thinking Burg wins big!!!!!! Go Pirates!!!!! :lol: !!!!

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

PirateFan2 wrote:Pirates win this one!!!! Until I personally see it, I don't think valley is close to da burg this year as far as team talent???? I'm thinking Burg wins big!!!!!! Go Pirates!!!!! :lol: !!!!
I actually believe the opposite. Valley has more team talent but Burg has more individual talent and the proof is in the stats. Eddie Miller dominates almost every stat. Lose him and Burg is in serous trouble. If Valley loses someone, they'll just plug another in and continue on. IMO Valley is a better team.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Burg takes this one by 3 or 4 scores .

Old Bulldog
Freshman Team

Post by Old Bulldog »

Wheelersburg has 8 or 9 seniors on the team but the skill positions are mostly juniors. How many seniors does Valley have and how many are skill players?

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

Valley also has 9 seniors. The only skilled positions filled by senior is QB and 2 senior running backs (Brandon Jordan and Matt Rawlins) share carries with 2 junior running backs (Nate Arnett and Brice Jordan). Like Wheelersburg, most of Valleys skilled positions are filled with Juniors.

LastOut
Waterboy

Post by LastOut »

Here4Fun wrote:
nutronron2012 wrote:
starbase_318 wrote:It dont matter how much your ticket is you will get your money's worth Friday night....!!!!!! I wish they would hold one of the SOC II games every Saturday night. That would pack the house on games like this one.Not that is not already going to be.
I think allowing each SOC team host a Saturday night game during the season is a fantastic idea. It would allow all of us homers to see the other teams in the conference play and would generate alot of revenue for the schools.

Return to “Football”