Total votes: 0

IRONMENFAN
Freshman Team

Week 7: Logan (1-5) at Jackson (3-3)

Post by IRONMENFAN »

Who wins this one?

ironman02
SEOP

Re: Week 7: Logan (1-5) at Jackson (3-3)

Post by ironman02 »

Battle between two of the SEOAL's best programs historically. Logan is first in SEOAL championships with 25, while Jackson is second with 22.

Both teams started off league play with wins, and will be looking to stay in the hunt for a league championship this week. Jackson has been struggling to find an offensive identity all season, but it seems like they had a breakthrough tonight. The Ironmen need to answer some questions on the defensive side of the ball right now after looking strong to begin the season. Logan had a rough start, but got a huge momentum-building win against Portsmouth tonight.

I'm expecting a close one at Alumni Stadium next Friday night.

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

Jackson is still to strong for the very young Chiefs. Most of the chief s problems are start to turn the corner but youth and discipline shows up again:

Jackson 45
Logan 13

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

I agree with 02 here, I think these two teams are going to play a closer game than most people will expect but I do feel that the experience of Jackson will be the difference in the game.

firecracker
Riding the Bench

Post by firecracker »

I'll take Jackson again this week. I thought the offense showed some small improvement from last week. I watched the line in the 4th quarter closely, the only penatration to the QB was when the guards pulled. I think if the QB would slow down alittle there could be life in the passing game. The defense needs work on the line. I see a NG line up with the center, then 2 tackles line up with the guards and still can't bust through for a sack.

nybucksgrad06
JV Team

Post by nybucksgrad06 »

I'm hoping for an injury free game for both teams in this one!

Although the cheifs seem to be the underdogs I see them pulling this one out for their second win of the season!

Final Score

Logan-26
Jackson-20

Alexander hitman
Varsity

Post by Alexander hitman »

I gotta go with Jackson..... but would like to see more Logan success.

Alderson_B-Fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Alderson_B-Fan »

Much needed win for the Ironmen but there wasn't much defense from either team in my opinion. I saw alot of walking or trotting after the play got passed the line and linebackers. Gotta run to the ball till the whistle blows.I dont understand all of the younger players getting so much playtime when there are seniors and juniors that play as well or better. POLITICS or maybe the coach has his personal reasons for the play time.
We didn't even play the best returners on the kickoff return team. Maybe the tapes from an even better Wheelersburg team were lost or dicarded. We finally give the quarterback a break and pass to guys who will catch the ball but only throw it to them once. Steven really looking more comfortable at quarterback. Should have been his 6th start at the position! Landrum made a world of difference on both sides of the ball but definetly need him healthy for the defense. If not for him the score would have been a little closer.
Gotta shore up the defense for the Logan game.
Not ragging to be negative just pointing things out that need looked at in order for us to be successful. It just gets tougher!
GOOD LUCK FOR HOMECOMING 2012!
GO RED

green&yellow
Waterboy

Post by green&yellow »

Alderson_B-Fan wrote:Much needed win for the Ironmen but there wasn't much defense from either team in my opinion. I saw alot of walking or trotting after the play got passed the line and linebackers. Gotta run to the ball till the whistle blows.I dont understand all of the younger players getting so much playtime when there are seniors and juniors that play as well or better. POLITICS or maybe the coach has his personal reasons for the play time.
We didn't even play the best returners on the kickoff return team. Maybe the tapes from an even better Wheelersburg team were lost or dicarded. We finally give the quarterback a break and pass to guys who will catch the ball but only throw it to them once. Steven really looking more comfortable at quarterback. Should have been his 6th start at the position! Landrum made a world of difference on both sides of the ball but definetly need him healthy for the defense. If not for him the score would have been a little closer.
Gotta shore up the defense for the Logan game.
Not ragging to be negative just pointing things out that need looked at in order for us to be successful. It just gets tougher!
GOOD LUCK FOR HOMECOMING 2012!
GO RED
I believe almost all post I have seen from you are nagging about older kids getting playing time? I believe our coaching staff has been around most of these players for many years and they are going to play who they believe consistently gets the job done. If a "younger" kid is playing over a junior or senior maybe they are putting more effort in when its not just Friday nights. Why should it matter the age, if they are playing varsity there is a reason for it, regardless of age. How do you figure they didnt have the "best returners" returning Friday night? Rafferty switched with Trepanier for maybe one game to see what he has, who knows. But the ball was able to be returned I believe maybe 3 times? Griffiths has been back there from the start and I think he does a fine job returning the ball. Rafferty misjudged the one ball that came to him but it happens. So how can you sit there and say they didnt do well when most kickoffs went into the endzone and the two that Griffiths returned were nice returns?

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

I see the chiefs getting. Win 2. Go chiefs.

Old Bulldog
Freshman Team

Post by Old Bulldog »

Hoping for Jackson to win at home. Wheelersburg needs the points.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Although the Portsmouth victory was a good start for the young Chiefs. By the way Portsmouth has as many if not more problems than the Chiefs, Look for Logan to play Jackson tough the 1st quarter! Jackson will pull away from the young Chiefs. If logan can not pass at least 10 times it will be Jackson stacking the line to stop the run!

Logan 13
Jackson 35
Last edited by moonshine on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alderson_B-Fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Alderson_B-Fan »

Greeanyellow
I agree that an underclassman can and should play if they work hard and deserve the position. I also agree that these younger players will be fine players and will represent the Ironmen well but I believe you jumped the gun a little thinking I was dogging a young player misjudge a kickoff, that kinda thing can happen to anyone. What I was saying was, as I stated, #34 was returning the ball back to the 42 or 43 on each of his returns and the other returns averaged getting the ball to the 28 I believe so why wouldn't you at least have 34 back there. Look at the stats from the game because they speak for themself.
Look at the rushing stats as well. I absolutely believe it's imperative to build depth and give younger or any kid for that matter a chance however I also believe that you don't sit people out who have been proven performers, that kinda thing only hurts your team as a whole.
I have been a part of coaching at a lower level and seen first hand what playing a kid for who there parents know or are will do to a team and it ultimately hurts the upperlevels of play and players and I don't want this to happen at our varsity level.
I want success for the Ironmen and believe that they are more than capable of being a quality team with quality players but you must stay objective when you look at what goes on. I don't have anyone from my family playing so I can look and see the whole picture.
I do agree that you are right about maybe a kid is putting forth more effort during the week and should get the shot if that is the case.
Anyway if anyone thought I was putting any of the younger players down let me make it perfectly clear I WAS NOT. The Ironmen have a bright future but they also have alot of light at the end of this tunnel.
Lets go red!

green&yellow
Waterboy

Post by green&yellow »

AldersonB

I also dont have a child in the program or even a relative playing, just a fan who enjoys Ironman Football. #34 seems to be the common denominator when it comes to any of your past post not taking a single thing away from him, he plays hard and has really stepped up from last year I believe. However, we have seen #12 is the go to man when it comes down to it. I havent seen any other player that can be trusted with that responsibility yet. If anything #34 should be catching more passes than running the ball. With Kearns out of receiver #34 and #5 could really do some damage out there. Btw, just curious as I have been to all games, I havent seen #34 back as a return man? I thought it was "ususally" #26 and #8? Just wondering if there was a game I didnt realize it was #34 back there?

All in all, GO RED!

green&yellow
Waterboy

Post by green&yellow »

I do recall now seeing #34 on return a couple of times in some games, and he did do a nice job. I would love to see our kickoff team do more blocking though so those returners can actually do something with the ball. With Kearns at QB we have a chance at having a nice throwing game if we would try it. #34 and #5 may not be the biggest in size but they have stepped up in times of need and made the catch, would love to see it go them in the air more.

Alderson_B-Fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Alderson_B-Fan »

He was back to return at the Wheelersburg game. Thats where I noticed the difference in the spot after returns. I also agree whole heartedly about #12. I loved watching him last year and told him so and love him again this year. He is a difference maker for sure, no argument from me. I also agree about # 5 & #34 getting some passes. They both have proven hands and should absolutely be utilized. Rafferty needs to get many touches as well I just believe at this point that Kearns is the better q back not taking anything away from Rafferty. He will be our go to guy next year and I like letting him get some time under center when we can.
I just try and be objective when seeing things good or bad. I had always told my boys when they were doing things wrong on the field. You can't get better if you're always told your awesome all the time when sometimes you're not. A good athlete will use good or constructive critisim to improve their play without being put out about it.
I think we win this week but it aint gonna be easy or get any easier thats for sure.
Lets Roll Red SEOAL threepeat!!!

Alderson_B-Fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Alderson_B-Fan »

green&yellow wrote:I do recall now seeing #34 on return a couple of times in some games, and he did do a nice job. I would love to see our kickoff team do more blocking though so those returners can actually do something with the ball. With Kearns at QB we have a chance at having a nice throwing game if we would try it. #34 and #5 may not be the biggest in size but they have stepped up in times of need and made the catch, would love to see it go them in the air more.
We definetly agree on the passing thing! No SEOAL team or many other high school teams for that matter can handle quick hit passing teams especially when they have a running threat to boot.

green&yellow
Waterboy

Post by green&yellow »

Alderson_B-Fan wrote:
green&yellow wrote:I do recall now seeing #34 on return a couple of times in some games, and he did do a nice job. I would love to see our kickoff team do more blocking though so those returners can actually do something with the ball. With Kearns at QB we have a chance at having a nice throwing game if we would try it. #34 and #5 may not be the biggest in size but they have stepped up in times of need and made the catch, would love to see it go them in the air more.
We definetly agree on the passing thing! No SEOAL team or many other high school teams for that matter can handle quick hit passing teams especially when they have a running threat to boot.
Without a doubt. We may not be the team that is quite ready to air out long passes but I believe we need to have more faith in our short pass game, just to keep the D honest. Although, that was an awful nice pass Kearns threw to #34 in the endzone last game! Maybe we air one out just for the fun of it :) LETS GO RED

Alderson_B-Fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Alderson_B-Fan »

It's HOMECOMING IRONMEN FANS :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8
LETS CIRCLE THE WAGONS :aaaaa57 :aaaaa57 :aaaaa57

Return to “Football”