Week 7: (6-0, 1-0) Valley @ (2-4, 0-1) West

Who wins?

Total votes: 0

Westfan
SEOP

Re: Week 7: (6-0, 1-0) Valley @ (2-4, 0-1) West

Post by Westfan »

crab_apple4 wrote: I agree with some/most of that, but there are also some negatives. The ability to coach up a player on a specific play and interact with them on what they are reading. I think Coach Rolfe call from up to for a while but went back to the sidelines. You see it in the NFL and in college, some guys prefer being on the field.

Understandable. But you better have two or three guys giving good constant feedbacks on down and distance and defensive alignment. Seems as if it would be a tremendous advantage to platoon as much as possible (especially the quarterback) to get feedback and adjust between series.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Man this topic is heated and jumping from issue to issue. Haha.

As far as all the schedule b/s goes, there is no one around that can spout off about schedules other than Ironton and Wheelersburg. There is no need to discuss Ironton as they play a crazy schedule (Watched part of Watterson-Hartley last night...the Tigers better get ready). Wheelersburg has traditionally played a very tough and challenging non league schedule, but they are very smart about it. Waverly also plays a tough non league schedule.

Valley, West, and Minford have schedules that will very greatly with each year as to how tough they are. I have discussed on here a few times how when Valley signed Rock Hill they were a yearly playoff team. That is now not the case. Minford's schedule this year is boosted by Piketon and Oak Hill. The Oaks are having a great season after only having 2 good years in the past 10 or so. Minford has been playing Piketon since 2006. Piketon was coming off 6-4, 4-6, and 2-8 seasons.

Scheduling is very hit and miss. At the end of the day, you want to challenge your program by playing great opponents. I agree with that so much. But, there are going to be years where that keeps you from playing in the playoffs. The fact of the matter is that this season the SOC II teams would be a lot better off (from a points standpoint) by beating Notre Dame than their wins over Portsmouth. We can argue schedules til we are blue in the face, but everyone has an opinion and they probably won't change. I guess my final point on that unless you are from Ironton, Burg, or Waverly, shut up about schedules.

As for points made about this game:

- Valley's o-line is not better than last year's...No way no how. They are good, improving, and have a chance, but I have to see it against the big time teams on the schedule.
- West will have to put the ball in the air to win Friday
- This will not be a blowout unless the Senator's put the ball on the ground multiple times
- Valley and West always play good games
- This hasn't been mentioned, but this is Valley's first game on grass. We may look a step slower this week

Looking forward to another good ball game and with the way these two like to run the ball, we may be at the Pizza Pub by 9:15.

Valley 20
West 12

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Good post Crab. I think if West comes to play, has a little success early, this could be one of the better matchups of the year.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

siderman wrote:Good post Crab. I think if West comes to play, has a little success early, this could be one of the better matchups of the year.
Very true. If Valley jumps early and starts to pound it may be a long night, but if the Senators can get some things going and get off the field defensively, it will be a game in the 4th.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

This is the game of the week in the SOC. I think West is better than their record shows, especially now that they are a little more healthy, and I must admit I am one of the doubters of Valley until they play some stiffer competition, but they have done well aginst the teams on their schedule. If the weather holds off like is predicted and it is dry the next few days, the fact that this will be Valley's first game on grass may not be much of a factor at all, but if West doesn't mow the grass this week, it could slow down Valley a little :mrgreen: It looks like Valley can only afford one loss and be sure of a playoff spot, so they need to be on their 'A' game every night, especially with Minford and Burg still to come. West is just playing for pride at this point and I think they will pull this one at at the Rock. West 20 - Valley 14

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

Mark it down. Close game early like last week, but Valley will pull away in 2nd half.
Valley 34
West 12

SPAMONY
Varsity

Post by SPAMONY »

siderman wrote:Spamony I don't know the exact number, but from the fairland game to minford we have a different quarterback, tailback, tailback, center, and guard(both before Jessie came back. Defensive changes are both linebackers, defensive end, defensive tackle, and corner. We started three seniors on defense and four on offense.

Everything is speculation. But the team fielded Friday would not loose to either fairland or Portsmouth. But that's just water under the bridge at this point. I think we would have had somewhat of a rebuilding year next year had this one went according to plan. Now with all the youth on the field, alot of guys going one way, we should be good next year.
I was wondering what changes were made. My buddy told me the same. He said the West lineman in the Minford game were not the same as the Ptown game film and i wodered how much impact that made. He said Wests line play was very good at Minford. I think that will be key against Valley as Valley has solid line play this year

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

My thoughts on West...

First, they are not as bad as their record reflects. They made changes and sounds like they have improved greatly since the first couple weeks of the season.

Also, I just don't see them losing to Minford, Valley, and Wheelersburg. Not all 3. I'm not sure who they will beat but I'm betting at least one.

Old Bulldog
Freshman Team

Post by Old Bulldog »

IRONFALCON wrote:My thoughts on West...

First, they are not as bad as their record reflects. They made changes and sounds like they have improved greatly since the first couple weeks of the season.

Also, I just don't see them losing to Minford, Valley, and Wheelersburg. Not all 3. I'm not sure who they will beat but I'm betting at least one.
Since West already played and lost to Minford then you're saying if they lose to Valley they will definately beat Wheelersburg? :122248

Endzone_Warrior
Varsity

Post by Endzone_Warrior »

This is there only shot to win out of the 3, IMO they won't beat Burg.
Like I stated before, West pulls off the upset by 3.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

Amarranavajas wrote:
NewEra wrote:
Amarranavajas wrote:I hope NY gets to play Valley in the playoffs.
I don't see NY beating Athens, which only leaves a 7% shot at the playoffs.
The odds are against you on that prediction.
Not a prediction. http://www.fantastic50.net/Ohio_Berths.php

Outfield4Life
Waterboy

Post by Outfield4Life »

Wests kicker Zach Dials broke two bones in his right leg during a soccer game last night.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Man that sucks. Sorry for the kid. We have no luck. Jr or senior?

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

siderman wrote:Man that sucks. Sorry for the kid. We have no luck. Jr or senior?
I was at the soccer game last night when this happened. My understanding is that he is a senior. He is one of the captains on the soccer team. Very unfortunate accident with only a minute or so left in the soccer game. He was in obvious pain as soon as he went down. Hopefully he is doing well.

Endzone_Warrior
Varsity

Post by Endzone_Warrior »

Endzone_Warrior wrote:This is there only shot to win out of the 3, IMO they won't beat Burg.
Like I stated before, West pulls off the upset by 3.

Well since the kicker got hurt, gotta change my prediction to West by 1. Regardless West finds a way to win in upset fashion. Here's hoping for a speedy recover for the injured young man.

Riding the Bench

Post by 007 »

:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I think their are more injuries at soccer than their is football. Didn't wheelersburgs kicker hurt his leg also?

Outfield4Life
Waterboy

Post by Outfield4Life »

Zach is a junior, no one from Wheelersburg was injured.

WildWestSider
Waterboy

Post by WildWestSider »

4th n Goal wrote:
siderman wrote:Man that sucks. Sorry for the kid. We have no luck. Jr or senior?
I was at the soccer game last night when this happened. My understanding is that he is a senior. He is one of the captains on the soccer team. Very unfortunate accident with only a minute or so left in the soccer game. He was in obvious pain as soon as he went down. Hopefully he is doing well.
No he is only a junior

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

4th n Goal wrote:
I talked to his dad earlier he said he is doing fine, was in surgery for about six hours. Docters sid he should make a full recovery.

Return to “Football”