Week 5: Jackson (2-2) @ Wheelersburg (3-1)

firecracker
Riding the Bench

Re: Week 5: Jackson (2-2) @ Wheelersburg (3-1)

Post by firecracker »

I see 4, maybe 5 guys Jackson gives the ball to when they run. These guys are also on defense. If you watched the Granville game, those guys where smoked at the middle of the third quarter. IMO, the answer is on the sideline. I know a few of those guys are excellent running backs, they just haven't got the opportunity yet to prove themselves. The same goes with the O-line and D-line, swap a few in and see what happens.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

I really think I like the Burg in this one. I'm obviously an SOC guy, so I'll be rooting for the Pirates. I understand the Ironmen have faced a couple of talented no-huddle offenses, but I really believe this Burg offense has some ubique dementions to it. In addition to the height advantage on the perimeter and a HS D-5 version of Wes Welker in the slot, they also have a dual-threat QB who can hurt teams with his arm, legs, vision and genetically programmed football IQ (Ed Miller's grandson). Plus, I think their biggest question mark going into the season (RB), is starting to find a couple of reliable backs (Cowgill & Ellis). You also have to remember that the Pirates went toe-to-toe with Ironton after spotting the Tri-State's top team 2 TD's in the first 2 minutes of the game. They shows some serious moxxy!!! The Ironmen are going to have to play the best man-coverage of their season and keep a spy on E Miller throughout. I think this is the game of the week in southern Ohio this week!! I'm looking forward to it!!! Plus, league play is just around the corner!! Best of luck to both teams, but let's go Pirates!!!

starbase_318
Varsity

Post by starbase_318 »

Good luck Pirates.

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

fbnut wrote:
nutronron2012 wrote:Think the Pirates will wear Jackson out. Jacksons tounges will be dragging the ground in the 3rd quarter. Burg wins 28-20.
i here faking cramps is pretty good at getting your team a breather during a game.
:aaaaa8 Worked for Ironton.

Ironman88
Riding the Bench

Post by Ironman88 »

Jackson lose two in a row to pretty good teams and everybody goes crazy which will make this season worse. It coachs,players,game plan,line,
quarterbacks fault the truth of the matter when you lose it's the programs fault maybe that the other team was just better that night. Fighting with coachs after games blaming everybody will not fix it, could be this is the best they have this year, we put tougher teams on schedule
to up the program and that does not always mean you win to have that happen. Let coach Hall watch films see what he needs to do in order to get this back on track I know he hates losing as much as anybody. Let the players and coachs work it out and set back and support the PROGRAM.

Piratefan2
Varsity

Post by Piratefan2 »

ironman24 wrote:Jackson lose two in a row to pretty good teams and everybody goes crazy which will make this season worse. It coachs,players,game plan,line,
quarterbacks fault the truth of the matter when you lose it's the programs fault maybe that the other team was just better that night. Fighting with coachs after games blaming everybody will not fix it, could be this is the best they have this year, we put tougher teams on schedule
to up the program and that does not always mean you win to have that happen. Let coach Hall watch films see what he needs to do in order to get this back on track I know he hates losing as much as anybody. Let the players and coachs work it out and set back and support the PROGRAM.
Thats right! but the problem for jackson this week will be the same as their last couple of losses.......BURG is a more talented team this year than jackson, so that being said....i think this will be a great game to watch and i look for another PIRATE VICTORY!!!!! GO BURG

Ironmen32
JV Team

Post by Ironmen32 »

ironman02 wrote:Jackson threw the ball 20 times against Athens. Some of those were late when they HAD to throw the ball, but I think Coach Hall was attempting more than enough passes to keep the defense honest. He also tried spreading out the defense to create running lanes for Rafferty. Dropped passes were a big issue last week, but I think Rafferty threw the ball very well. Not having Landrum hurt the running game as well, but I think the Ironmen can do a much better job up front because I have seen them do it before.

There have definitely been times when there have been 8 or 9 in the box, especially against Granville, but the offensive line has to be more consistent. In the second half against Granville, they played very well, even with the defense stacking the box. I'm not trying to lay all the blame on the offensive line, I'm just saying that moving the football starts with them. If they play well, Jackson is gonna score points. If they don't, well, then the Ironmen will struggle to put points on the board.
I agree, and not as an excuse but Jay Spires got injured during the Athens game, which forced a young sophomore to step up and play center.That is a tough task to ask, so hopefully Jay is fully recovered and able to play Friday.

GO BIG RED!!!!!! :razz: :razz: :razz:

Ironman88
Riding the Bench

Post by Ironman88 »

PirateFan2 wrote:
ironman24 wrote:Jackson lose two in a row to pretty good teams and everybody goes crazy which will make this season worse. It coachs,players,game plan,line,
Thats right! but the problem for jackson this week will be the same as their last couple of losses.......BURG is a more talented team this year than jackson, so that being said....i think this will be a great game to watch and i look for another PIRATE VICTORY!!!!! GO BURG

You may be right. But to make up for lack talent is work throw,catching, strength is things that could of been worked on in off season maybe just to many off field distraction this past year for Ironman. Watched film and alot of jogging to the ball on defense and arm tackling not much hitting,offense guys standing watching ball carrier get tackle no down field blocking by line or recievers same on kickoff returns just not being aggressive. I'm sure coachs have seen this on film and i noticed another freshman dressed against athens that group has alot of talent Hall may reach in to that group for help. Jackson defense will need to score against burg for jackson to have a chance offensive group can not score enough to win these close games.

JacksonI
Freshman Team

Post by JacksonI »

Wheelersburg has been a very talented, hardworking, and athletic group for the past couple of years. We have always had trouble during scrimmages with them, however I feel is if Jackson doesn't shoot themselves in the foot like they have the passed two weeks they have a great shot at winning this ball game. They have to play mistake free football, the O-line HAS to improve, and we have to cut down the penalties. I'll give credit where credit is due, so here it is, congrats on the secondary's hard work and noticeable improvement from week 2 to week 3. O-line, they have to get better. I feel like I don't see leadership during the game with the offensive line. Some of them need to be pulled out if their poor performance keeps up. We can't have multiple penalties and 2 or 3 which was holding and expect to compete with a good team. We just have somethings to work on, I'm hoping that Jackson fixes these liabilities and come out strong and put on a good show. IMO

Ironman88
Riding the Bench

Post by Ironman88 »

JacksonI wrote:Wheelersburg has been a very talented, hardworking, and athletic group for the past couple of years. We have always had trouble during scrimmages with them, however I feel is if Jackson doesn't shoot themselves in the foot like they have the passed two weeks they have a great shot at winning this ball game. They have to play mistake free football, the O-line HAS to improve, and we have to cut down the penalties. I'll give credit where credit is due, so here it is, congrats on the secondary's hard work and noticeable improvement from week 2 to week 3. O-line, they have to get better. I feel like I don't see leadership during the game with the offensive line. Some of them need to be pulled out if their poor performance keeps up. We can't have multiple penalties and 2 or 3 which was holding and expect to compete with a good team. We just have somethings to work on, I'm hoping that Jackson fixes these liabilities and come out strong and put on a good show. IMO
The secondary has played well against the pass the last two weeks but have tackled poorly in space. Defense has just been on field to much for
teams like granville and athens they will get to you if you keep giving them the ball. The offense is just not on the field enough teams are loading the box covering the flats on passing down they are calling out bubble screen or draw we have to be able to throw the ball down the
field to open up the run or the line will never be able to block the guys that they are throwing at them. Jackson is not the offensive threat that
they have been in the past . Jackson control the ball and cut down on turnovers.

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

fbnut wrote:
nutronron2012 wrote:Think the Pirates will wear Jackson out. Jacksons tounges will be dragging the ground in the 3rd quarter. Burg wins 28-20.
i here faking cramps is pretty good at getting your team a breather during a game.

way to bash kids and say they were all faking it. after reading some of your posts, doesnt surprise me.

jackson wins this game. lil Miller will be stopped and burgs offense will look like deer in headlights. watched them play Ironton and eveyone knows ironton cant defend the pass.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Badboy wrote:
fbnut wrote:

way to bash kids and say they were all faking it. after reading some of your posts, doesnt surprise me.

jackson wins this game. lil Miller will be stopped and burgs offense will look like deer in headlights. watched them play Ironton and eveyone knows ironton cant defend the pass.
Ironton can't defend the run either. 197 rushing yards against the tigers. stats courtesy of burgfan.com

callie11
Freshman Team

Post by callie11 »

Sorry, this a trivia question for Burg fans. What was the Yelley boys first name that played a few years ago? I know his dad name was Mike, he also played at Wheelersburg many years ago.

pirates/redmen fan
JV Team

Post by pirates/redmen fan »

BRYAN YELLY 2000 HIS DAD MIKE YELLY 1973.

callie11
Freshman Team

Post by callie11 »

Thank you sir for the answer. It was driving my wife and I crazyier than we normaly are.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I'm done talking about how the Ironmen can improve upon their play from the last few weeks.

The only thing that matters is that we have what I believe to be the best coaching staff in SE Ohio and a program full of kids who play their hearts out for Jackson. Hopefully they can get things straightened out because no one enjoys winning more than the staff and players themselves. They're the ones putting in all the work to represent their school and community. I'll be there the next six Friday nights, and hopefully beyond, to support the Ironmen.

They still have each other to play for, they can possibly sneak into the playoffs, and they can win a third straight SEOAL title. Go Ironmen!!!

Ironmen44
JV Team

Post by Ironmen44 »

Well said 02. It is funny how losing a couple games and those certain parents come alive. COME ON MAN.

GO IRONMEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Man ole Man....

Jackson loses two games against a couple of very good teams and now all of sudden people are saying Burg by multiple scores. I don't think people realize just how good Granville is. They have thumped their other 3 opponents and only Jackson was able to give them a game. Athens has one of the top offenses in this part of the state and it took a late score to beat Jackson.

I have not seen Jackson. I have only seen the Burg against Ironton. Wheelersburg is a very good football team. I love the way they play and they have some very nice athletes. I just don't like that so many people are using the "they played Ironton tough" argument for how good the Pirates are. The Burg was in the Ironton game all the way but they scored very late to make it a one possession game. The Pirates battled and battled in that game but as an unbiased observer at that game, I never felt that Ironton was ever in trouble of losing. The following week, the Burg had a similar game against Coal Grove where it was close but it never seemed as though the Pirates were going to lose. I have seen Coal Grove and they are a slightly above average team. I guess the whole point I am trying to make is that I don't think Wheelersburg (or any other SOC team for that matter) has any benchmark win where I would make them a 2 touchdown favorite over Jackson.

Having blabbed all that out, Wheelersburg is more than capable of winning this game and they very well may win it by 2 td's. However, as good as I think the Pirates are (and I do think they are pretty good), this is a huge step up in competition for the Burg while I think it is a step down for Jackson. I think the type of offenses Jackson has seen the last two weeks are a big advantage for the Ironmen. At the end of the day I will take a playoff caliber DIII team over a playoff caliber DV team.

Jackson 28
Burg 21

Ironman88
Riding the Bench

Post by Ironman88 »

this week may of just got tougher for the ironmen hearing we may be missing several players friday night not real sure who but a couple injuries and one other conflict. I seen spires leave game with knee hurt in pregame but didnt see anybody else leave game?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

The player I saw on crutches Monday seems good today and I'd guess he'll be good to go.

Not sure of the other stuff.

Return to “Football”