Portsmouth to the s.o.c.

wipala
Varsity

Re: Portsmouth to the s.o.c.

Post by wipala »

bottom line is....SOC does not want the Rooster in the Hen house...play them, beat them, take the money and run but oh no do not let them play for our titles.....

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

OZZIEOHIO wrote:If that was true why do we already play all the soc II schools except Waverly in BBall?
Looking at last year's bball schedule, Portsmouth only played 2 of the 8 SOCII schools. Did they pick up games with the others this year?

starbase_318
Varsity

Post by starbase_318 »

noles_fan wrote:as far as their fans acting up I know for a fact that they had fans go on the court at a PeeWee basketball tournament after the ref's so there maybe some truth to the above comment.
This may very well be true but you can go to any school district at any event and find fans that are ignorant and act out in a way that embarrasses their entire community. In cases such as this, you judge the individual on their actions and not the community as a whole. IMO I remember a Sider fan wanting to kick an umpires ass at a little league girl's softball tournament in the early 80s (Lucasville bottom fields). The Howard guy made a total butt out of himself, in front of a judge who happened to be running the tournament. He wasn't a representative of the community as a whole but his actions sure enhanced the perception about west siders being out of control. He finally calmed down after we threatened to call the game and the Sheriff. Anyway, I say let bygones be in the history book. I've said it all along, why would we want one of the largest schools in the county, in terms of population, take their game and money to other counties? Keep the money at home and benefit from one another. Nothing to fear but fear itself. Competition should always be welcomed.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

starbase_318 wrote:
noles_fan wrote:as far as their fans acting up I know for a fact that they had fans go on the court at a PeeWee basketball tournament after the ref's so there maybe some truth to the above comment.
This may very well be true but you can go to any school district at any event and find fans that are ignorant and act out in a way that embarrasses their entire community. In cases such as this, you judge the individual on their actions and not the community as a whole. IMO I remember a Sider fan wanting to kick an umpires booty at a little league girl's softball tournament in the early 80s (Lucasville bottom fields). The Howard guy made a total butt out of himself, in front of a judge who happened to be running the tournament. He wasn't a representative of the community as a whole but his actions sure enhanced the perception about west siders being out of control. He finally calmed down after we threatened to call the game and the Sheriff. Anyway, I say let bygones be in the history book. I've said it all along, why would we want one of the largest schools in the county, in terms of population, take their game and money to other counties? Keep the money at home and benefit from one another. Nothing to fear but fear itself. Competition should always be welcomed.
You hit the nail on the head starbase. There are fans at every school that have crossed the line. I heard a few heckling fans from the Portsmouth side last night, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Portsmouth's population is not what it once was, even comparing it to 10 years ago. Their school enrollment is smaller than ever. Sure they would be competitive for the most part in all sports in SOC II, but more competition makes everyone better. SEOAL is on a death spiral. League probably wont last much longer as the remaining schools will probably join other leagues in the next 5 years. You will either see Portsmouth play all of the SOC II schools and not be in the league, or play them all and be a part of it. Why not let them in. Give them something to play for as well in terms of conference titles.

Its a win win for everyone to let them in. Whoever voted against them needs their head examined and needs to put down their own agenda and look long term. It will be sad if Portsmouth eventually has to join the OVC because their own neighboring schools turned their backs on them.

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

I agree it would be sad to see Portsmouth move on to the OVC when they have the SOC in their back yard but stranger things have happened. And the way the SOC has beat up on the OVC over the past few years and looks like many more I can see the OVC jumping at getting Portsmouth and I still believe going after G.A. to strengthen their league. Like it was said before good competition makes you better. And the OVC really needs help on it's road to being more competive on the football field and I can just see cheasy and portsmouth in the basketball sence on that league.

NICKNEVADA
All Conference

Post by NICKNEVADA »

I played at East in the 80s-90s and we acted way worse than Ive ever seen PHS kids act. We fought, threw things on court/field, etc. Phs fans actuallly show respect.

allsportsfan1995
Waterboy

Post by allsportsfan1995 »

All Soc 2 schools have soccer. I'd like to see Portsmouth do the same. West, Minford, burg, valley Waverly all lose some very good athletes to the sport.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Its been hashed over for over a decade, Ill believe it when I see it. It should happen but I doubt if it does in my lifetime

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Would someone tell WHO voted against PHS...someone out there knows...let all know...and by the way, the league that is scared to death of PHS in their league,,,PHS is 1-3 in SOC II.....

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

If I remember from a PDT article correctly this past year...Valley was the only school to vote for them.

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

scarlet_gray wrote:If I remember from a PDT article correctly this past year...Valley was the only school to vote for them.

Yeah, former Trojan....Bob West voted for us

ohiostbucks99
Freshman Team

Post by ohiostbucks99 »

Do away with soc and make it Scioto County League

Endzone_Warrior
Varsity

Post by Endzone_Warrior »

I like SCC / Scioto County Conference

ohiostbucks99
Freshman Team

Post by ohiostbucks99 »

Do away with the other counties and just have all the schools in Scioto county be a conference

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Getting in the SOC isn't gonna fix anything with Portsmouth and from all the crying you read on here you sense that is what Portsmouth fans think. If you don't like the Seoal then get out. All the SOC schools minus Waverly that will be in the league already play you so you have one more non conference game to schedule than the SOC schools. You cry about your coach,cry about your league. Cry cry cry

kahn
Freshman Team

Post by kahn »

http://www.portsmouth-dailytimes.com/vi ... ch_results

If the rules haven't changed, PHS needed a 75 percent vote to get in. This is the story from the last time they were denied (I think, I don't know what's happened since I left.)

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Trojans are short term thinkers. They forget when Portsmouth thought the SOC was a terrible conference. They burned many bridges. I can remember when they had to go to central ky to get games. I realize the seaol conf is challenging for the kids due to travel, but the "sins of the father are not easily forgotten".

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

scarlet_gray wrote:If I remember from a PDT article correctly this past year...Valley was the only school to vote for them.
I can't speak for this time but I know for a fact when PHS tried to get into the league in the late 90's early 00's that West voted for them to get in. So I dont see why that would change now. A few of the schools have no reason not to vote them in since they already play them, so i doubt its very likely that Valley was the only vote.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Portsmouth Trojans wrote:the soc is just jealous of our current head coach. maybe

Yeah, that's what it is.

I know for a fact that Burg used to vote for them to be in and that was even after Clifford decided one year he wanted to end the series with the Burg and waited until June to make this decision and the Burg couldn't find anyone to replace the game the upcoming season and only got to play 9 games and it more than likely cost them the playoffs.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Portsmouth Trojans wrote:the soc is just jealous of our current head coach. maybe
Ur Killing Me...Ptown trojans, lol

Return to “Football”