Portsmouth to the s.o.c.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: Portsmouth to the s.o.c.

Post by Bleeding Red »

maniac66 wrote:Portsmouth will be in the OVC and be happy there and say look at what you could have had! Sometimes pride is worse than politics. Schools are now looking to where they can compete and afford to play. Sad to say the schools in South east Ohio are just simply getting smaller and it don't look to getting any better.
I still believe in the next few years Portsmouth will be going to the OVC and so will G.A. I fear Ironton will be alone in this shake up because of simple politics just as Portsmouth is enduring now with the county schools. Sometimes it isn't just about the kids it's pride and pay back for being the best and being proud of it.

I agree with you. Its sad, but true. Portsmouth has a better chance getting in the OVC than they do the SOC in their own back yard.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

maniac66 wrote:Portsmouth will be in the OVC and be happy there and say look at what you could have had! Sometimes pride is worse than politics. Schools are now looking to where they can compete and afford to play. Sad to say the schools in South east Ohio are just simply getting smaller and it don't look to getting any better.
I still believe in the next few years Portsmouth will be going to the OVC and so will G.A. I fear Ironton will be alone in this shake up because of simple politics just as Portsmouth is enduring now with the county schools. Sometimes it isn't just about the kids it's pride and pay back for being the best and being proud of it.

VERY WELL SAID OLE BUDDY.

wink
JV Team

Post by wink »

starbase_318 wrote:
Bleeding Red wrote:I think since it involves PUBLIC schools, they should make the voting PUBLIC!
That way the ones that want to blackball them out can answer public questions on WHY they voted the way they did.

There is always another alternative....the SOC II schools can break off on their own. Simply erase votes from AD's at Green, ND, East etc that dont even matter in the grand scheme of things anyways.

100% correct!!
I don't think that is 100% correct. The taxpayer monies paid in a given district go STRICTLY to that district and therefore are subject only to the whims of that district. That's why each has it's own school board, supt. and so forth. Although they ate public schools they are independently "owned" and operated. Voters in Green Township have nothing to do with what takes place in Clay Township and absolutely no say in what Clay Township schools do. That is also why, unless you live in West Portsmouth, you are not and were not a;llowed to vote for their new school levy back when they built there ne school.
A "general election" open to all voters as to what takes place in individual schools is perobably against the Ohio Constitution and will never happen and should never happen.

85TITAN85
Riding the Bench

Post by 85TITAN85 »

I believe they're saying we should be privy to who casts what vote; not that the general public should have a vote. I agree, especially since some want to believe only the small schools are blocking this. Why would they (SOC I) care if Portsmouth joins the SOC II ? But, the big schools had no problem pushing NW into SOC I without the approval of the small football schools. Since it's (NW moving) obviously going to happen, why not invite Manchester into SOC I in football, and Portsmouth and Ironton into SOC II .

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Manchester just joined a conference with most of the small schools in the Cincy area. That is a good fit for them until they get the program going with some wins. This is for football only as they will remain in the SHL for all other sports.

starbase_318
Varsity

Post by starbase_318 »

wink wrote:
starbase_318 wrote:
Bleeding Red wrote:I think since it involves PUBLIC schools, they should make the voting PUBLIC!
That way the ones that want to blackball them out can answer public questions on WHY they voted the way they did.

There is always another alternative....the SOC II schools can break off on their own. Simply erase votes from AD's at Green, ND, East etc that dont even matter in the grand scheme of things anyways.

100% correct!!
I don't think that is 100% correct. The taxpayer monies paid in a given district go STRICTLY to that district and therefore are subject only to the whims of that district. That's why each has it's own school board, supt. and so forth. Although they ate public schools they are independently "owned" and operated. Voters in Green Township have nothing to do with what takes place in Clay Township and absolutely no say in what Clay Township schools do. That is also why, unless you live in West Portsmouth, you are not and were not a;llowed to vote for their new school levy back when they built there ne school.
A "general election" open to all voters as to what takes place in individual schools is perobably against the Ohio Constitution and will never happen and should never happen.
I would agree with you if those opposed were a private school using private money to operate. Public schools get fed, state and local taxpayer funds to operate. No entity accepting taxpayer dollars should operate in the closet, IMO!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

wink wrote:
starbase_318 wrote:

100% correct!!

I am not saying make the voting a general election.

I am saying make the RESULTS public so the public can see how each representative voted. There is nothing wrong with that. At least the people that want to keep Portsmouth out can be ridiculed for their selfish decisions.

jumpman
Freshman Team

Post by jumpman »

I don't really care either way. I actually think it would be cool to see a couple of larger schools from the SEOAL added and have a third division. However, I am wondering why some have assumed that it is the little schools that are the ones voting to keep Portsmouth out of the conference. The likely reason many of them voted no the last time Portsmouth tried to enter the league was because Portsmouth and South Gallia tried to enter on the same ballot, and who could blame them for not wanting to add South Gallia (see above posts on gas prices and the disbanding of the SEOAL). Regardless, I would be willing bet there are Division II schools that are voting no as well.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

Don't blame it solely on how the SOC 1 schools vote. I have been told by a very reliable source that there is an SOC 2 school that voted against Portsmouth entering the league and persuaded others to vote against them also.

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

A HUGE reason that Portsmouth isn't in the SOC is because some area schools do not want Portsmouth's fans at their schools. Because of the way they act and carry on on sporting events (mostly basketball)...AD's just don't want to deal with the possible conflicts that could arise from Portsmouth's fans.

blue53
All State

Post by blue53 »

scarlet_gray wrote:A HUGE reason that Portsmouth isn't in the SOC is because some area schools do not want Portsmouth's fans at their schools. Because of the way they act and carry on on sporting events (mostly basketball)...AD's just don't want to deal with the possible conflicts that could arise from Portsmouth's fans.

Let me guess, you work for the PDT"s also. Making up stories that doesn't exist. :roll:

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

If you think that this is not a factor in the decision-making, then you are oblivious to the situation. And no I'm not from the PDT, that's an insult! lol. But I'm not dogging the ADs for that reason, I actually would also be hesitant because of the way the fans act.

here4fun
Varsity

Post by here4fun »

scarlet_gray wrote:A HUGE reason that Portsmouth isn't in the SOC is because some area schools do not want Portsmouth's fans at their schools. Because of the way they act and carry on on sporting events (mostly basketball)...AD's just don't want to deal with the possible conflicts that could arise from Portsmouth's fans.
Best comment made on this subject so far hit the nail right on the head this why portsmouth will never be in the soc or ever wanted in the soc......

wink
JV Team

Post by wink »

KOOLKOACH wrote: It is very costly to their schools to have to play in the league they are in!
Why do they need to be in a league ? Ironton, and a lot of other schools, aren't.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I have been to several sporting events where Portsmouth has been playing and I have never seen anything wrong with their fans. But then traveling all the way up here they just might be too tired to act up---lol.

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

It's definitely not trojandave! He does nothing wrong...just loud and proud. Certain other fans cause problems at ball games.

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

Here4Fun wrote:
Best comment made on this subject so far hit the nail right on the head this why portsmouth will never be in the soc or ever wanted in the soc......
They have no issue taking our money and letting us in every year now.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

I for one would love to see Portsmouth and Ironton both in. And as far as their fans acting up I know for a fact that they had fans go on the court at a PeeWee basketball tournament after the ref's so there maybe some truth to the above comment.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

scarlet_gray wrote:
A HUGE reason that Portsmouth isn't in the SOC is because some area schools do not want Portsmouth's fans at their schools. Because of the way they act and carry on on sporting events (mostly basketball)...AD's just don't want to deal with the possible conflicts that could arise from Portsmouth's fans.
If that was true why do we already play all the soc II schools except Waverly in BBall?

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

I too would like to see Portsmouth and Ironton in. That would be a pretty good league. Would definetly make you have to pack a lunch and bring it every week. SOCII is already a physical league. It would make a statement to undefeated there.

Return to “Football”