WEEK 3: Western Brown @ Waverly

Omega
SEOPS H

WEEK 3: Western Brown @ Waverly

Post by Omega »

The Western Brown Broncos invade Radiger Field in week three action. WB is 2 and 0 with wins over Hillsboro 41-14 and
Little Miami 42-21. Waverly is 0 and 2 with losses to Piketon and Jackson. What are your thoughts on the game? Please
observe the forum rules as to personnel and staff discussions.

Silver Bulletz 1
Waterboy

Re: WEEK 3: Western Brown @ Waverly

Post by Silver Bulletz 1 »

It's going to be very difficult to this Waverly team to beat any 2-0 D2 team. Tough schedule for the Tigers.

smack
Riding the Bench

Post by smack »

being a 30 year die hard tiger fan i think waverly has alot of good players.but fear they are going the same direction as northwest.if they don't want to change somethings then they need to change to the svc.or soc1jmo. score pidiction is 42to6 waverly will score 6 late in the 4 hope i didn't hurt anyone feeling.

usctrojans1
Freshman Team

Post by usctrojans1 »

Waverly needs to play 4 good qrts of football, we have outstanding young men on the field we just need 100% effort from everyone. Western brown throws the ball 9 out of 10 plays, good luck go hard.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly has some nice players but with only 36 on the roster and most kids going both ways this game will be another tall order. The Tigers had their chances against Piketon in a very winable game but just seemed to wear down in the 2nd half. They started well against Jackson but couldn't cash in on the first 2 drives and Ironmen basically won the game in the 2nd quarter. Waverly played them even in the 2nd half. I don't know a thing about Western Brown other than they are a big D2 school who throws the ball a lot. That was said of them last year but they ran the ball at will. Hopefully the Tigers can put together 4 solid quarters, eliminating the mistakes (too many penalties & miscues). Need a big game out of the seniors.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

GOOD LUCK TO THE WAVERLY TIGERS.

tiger2012
Riding the Bench

Post by tiger2012 »

Yes, Waverlys numbers are down this year and they don't have depth. But they do have a group of boys who are athletic and know the game. They have worked extremely hard this season so far and they have the potential to be a good team. I'm not going to blame the coaching staff for the entire reason the tigers have been down the past couple of years, but sometimes its time for a change and thats not always a bad thing. Majority of these coaches have been around for many many years and the game has changed since then, but our system hasn't made the transition with the rest of the teams. I'm not trying to run down our coaches at all, they have put in so much time and effort into Waverly football over the years and I think I speak for everyone in the community when I say we greatly appreciate everything they have done for these boys. Change is good every once in awhile, and I think it's Waverlys time to make a change.

Pigskinplayer
Waterboy

Post by Pigskinplayer »

I'll be there rooting on the Tigers, but this one has the potential to get out of hand quick.
As far as the coaches, like I said last week, I'm not bashing them personally, but it does seem a change is needed. The number of players will continue to dwindle, if wins to not increase. That is just the way it goes.

smack
Riding the Bench

Post by smack »

smurray wrote:Waverly has some nice players but with only 36 on the roster and most kids going both ways this game will be another tall order. The Tigers had their chances against Piketon in a very winable game but just seemed to wear down in the 2nd half. They started well against Jackson but couldn't cash in on the first 2 drives and Ironmen basically won the game in the 2nd quarter. Waverly played them even in the 2nd half. I don't know a thing about Western Brown other than they are a big D2 school who throws the ball a lot. That was said of them last year but they ran the ball at will. Hopefully the Tigers can put together 4 solid quarters, eliminating the mistakes (too many penalties & miscues). Need a big game out of the seniors.
smurry thats what i thought you would say being in the public eye somewhat. but we need to quit putting a bandaid on things and hope it heals.yes depth is helpful but not nessary.piketon only has 25 kids this year and wheelersburg only had 34 last year yet there still successful every year.we are not the smallest school around.so lets look a little deeper and ask why waverly dosent have more depth.we need people like you to open your eyes and do something about it.otherwise nothing will be done.i know everyone in this forum agrees with me or they wouldn't pic waverly and northwest to be last every year.do they know something we just don't want to admit.i dont want us to win every game i just want the waverly tigers to be respected again :(

duck butter
Freshman Team

Post by duck butter »

to bad it will be like this for a while smack it all starts in pee wee you have to develop depth at a smaller school and somethings just not clicking for the tigers western brown by as many as they want this might be another 0-10 boys hang on for the ride though you never know

bookem13
JV Team

Post by bookem13 »

There are 70 kids playing pee wee tackle football (mostly in 5th and 6th grade), and there are 60 kids playing junior high...developing depth in the younger grades is not our problem.

Pigskinplayer
Waterboy

Post by Pigskinplayer »

You have to wonder why we lose so many boys the older they get. Some will take a job, some may even switch sports, but there have been several athletes that could have played or started that just quit football. Look at the last couple of classes, especially the '11 class, what did we have 3-4 seniors, maybe a couple more? Why is that?

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

Waverly gets that first W here...big night for Trevon Bolin-Hitchens through the air. Waverly by 14-21, Little Miami and Hillsboro are both not good football teams.... Little Miami is 1-11 in the past 12 games...so don't feel as if this is a game Waverly cannot win against a d2 juggernaut.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Pigskinplayer wrote:You have to wonder why we lose so many boys the older they get. Some will take a job, some may even switch sports, but there have been several athletes that could have played or started that just quit football. Look at the last couple of classes, especially the '11 class, what did we have 3-4 seniors, maybe a couple more? Why is that?
Not to blame everything on the government, economy, etc, but Pike County and Waverly have taken a huge hit since the downturn. Typically the schools and areas that have the most money and wealthy parents in their district are the ones that are successful. It is just the sad truth. Look at Wheelersburg. Their are a lot of doctors, businessmen, and upper middle class people that can will pay more taxes for better facilities, pay for their kids to get personal training in the summer, and have the time to help out things such as the pee-wee system. The same with P.West, we are not rich, but the majority of us are middle-class americans who can and will sacrifice what we have for successful sports programs. Many parents in Pike County simply can not afford those luxuries and many kids are forced to devote more time to work than sports. In lower levels children do not need to put as much time into football outside of it, it is more or less based on having talent and going to practice. However, in High school you must devote a portion of your day, everyday to training. Thats what the best teams do and if you are training as frequently and efficiently as the Burgs, Wests, Irontons of the world, you can't expect to beat them. I think the same can be said for schools like Northwest. There are exceptions to this rule, but typically poor places do not hold athletics as high in importance because they can't.
Also, Waverly does themselves no favors on scheduling. They play two bigger playoff-teams in Athens and Jackson, a smaller playoff team in Alexander, an above average, improving, bigger school in Western Brown, and a fringe playoff-caliber team in Piketon.
tiger2012 wrote:Yes, Waverlys numbers are down this year and they don't have depth. But they do have a group of boys who are athletic and know the game. They have worked extremely hard this season so far and they have the potential to be a good team. I'm not going to blame the coaching staff for the entire reason the tigers have been down the past couple of years, but sometimes its time for a change and thats not always a bad thing. Majority of these coaches have been around for many many years and the game has changed since then, but our system hasn't made the transition with the rest of the teams. I'm not trying to run down our coaches at all, they have put in so much time and effort into Waverly football over the years and I think I speak for everyone in the community when I say we greatly appreciate everything they have done for these boys. Change is good every once in awhile, and I think it's Waverlys time to make a change.
I agree that change might be good in this situation, but Waverly's coaching staff has definitely changed with the times. Waverly was the first team in the league to come out in a spread and throw the ball around. Also, I think they were the first and only team to run the 3-5-3, a very innovative defense.

usctrojans1
Freshman Team

Post by usctrojans1 »

Waverly has some good athletes on this team, we just don't have eniugh to beat a quality opponent. That's hurting this program, there are several that play other sports that would help this team tremendously.

Pigskinplayer
Waterboy

Post by Pigskinplayer »

Sider and usc, appreciate the responses. You are both correct. Certainly economics have hurt the area, and sports maybe hurt as well as a result. USC, agree there are athletes in soccer that would help the situation. However, all schools face that same problem, so that is not really an excuse. If the other schools we play also had soccer players on the football team, they would be even better then they are.
I'm going to let it go at that. Hopefully the staff gets things turned around, or a change is made somewhere. If not you'll see even less kids go out next year, and the decline will continue. Nobody wants that to happen.

littleabner
Riding the Bench

Post by littleabner »

Hey smack, I really doubt Piketon has only 25 , in the svc roster they put out they had close to 55 I think it was 54 but way more than 25 and 19 of those 55 young men are Sr. class heard that today on WKKj. As far as everything goes with the tigers I feel depth is a very big deal more than fans can even see you put 10 or 11 freshman against your starters as a scout team you never even come close to getting a good look at what the other team is going to do, that is what the tigers are going through

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

GOOD LUCK TO THE WAVERLY TIGERS.

Pigskinplayer
Waterboy

Post by Pigskinplayer »

:shock: wow. 56-8.

smack
Riding the Bench

Post by smack »

doubleleg wrote:Hey smack, I really doubt Piketon has only 25 , in the svc roster they put out they had close to 55 I think it was 54 but way more than 25 and 19 of those 55 young men are Sr. class heard that today on WKKj. As far as everything goes with the tigers I feel depth is a very big deal more than fans can even see you put 10 or 11 freshman against your starters as a scout team you never even come close to getting a good look at what the other team is going to do, that is what the tigers are going through
i might be wrong but it says piketon only has 25 kids on maxpreps.most of the teams we play plays both sides of the ball like we do anyway.the big question was why waverly dont have depth.if piketon does have 54 kids and we only have 34 then whats that tell us. anyway iam proud of are players they fought hard tonight the score was about what i figured it would be but dont hang your heads boys western brown is a very well coached team.

Return to “Football”