Waterboy

Re: Week 3 (1-1) Gallia Academy @ (2-0) Ironton

Post by BeastInTheSouthEast »

Tigers win by 14

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

A 3-0 start would be great for the Tigers. Anyone else out there think that this might even be a must-win for Ironton? Ashland is very tough again from what I'm hearing and of course the Fighting Tigers have the two brutal games against Hartley and Watterson and another good Ky matchup against Johnson Central. Ironton could very well win a mere 5 games this year, which could still easily get them in the playoffs.

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

I actually think picking up Fairland is a good move for Gallia. It is Avery close road game and Fairland will bring more people than average because of the close travel. Gallia keeping Ironton would be a pure business decision. If Gallia dorst need the revenue, they probably don't want the loss each year. I don't understand the panic about playing OVC schools, Gallia played Rock Hill and Coal Grove in the 80's. Fact is if the SEOAL were to fold, Gallia would move to OVC

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

GAME DAY FIGHTING TIGERS LETS SEND THEM BLUE DEVILS PACKIN WITH A BIG OLE WIN.
THE JOINT WILL BE ROCKIN FOR
YA'LL. :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa59 :aaaaa59 :aaaaa59 :aaaaa59 :aaaaa59 :aaaaa59 :aaaaa59 :aaaaa59 :aaaaa59 :aaaaa59 :aaaaa59 :aaaaa59 :aaaaa59 :aaaaa59 :aaaaa59

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

Praying both teams come out of the game healthy. Good luck blue devils, see you in I- town tonight
21-20 devils

oldbluedevil
Waterboy

Post by oldbluedevil »

Dinocrocetti wrote:I actually think picking up Fairland is a good move for Gallia. It is Avery close road game and Fairland will bring more people than average because of the close travel. Gallia keeping Ironton would be a pure business decision. If Gallia dorst need the revenue, they probably don't want the loss each year. I don't understand the panic about playing OVC schools, Gallia played Rock Hill and Coal Grove in the 80's. Fact is if the SEOAL were to fold, Gallia would move to OVC
How is picking up Fairland a good move for GAHS. I have talked to the past AD's in recent years about attendance and what not. Fact of the mater is attendance is down for the past three years the athletic department is hurting, Jackson, Ironton, and Logan in that order are our biggest gates High school football is pure "business" the football program funds most of the other sports. Also haven't you ever herd of "To be the best you must play with the best" meaning to fully judge the talent of our team we must play the best teams around us even. Also playing Ironton is one of the biggest games of the season for the players to be one of the few teams to Beat Ironton especially at the Tank. I know for a fact a lot of former Alumni would love to be able to say they beat them but only one team in 16 years can.

I doubt the SEOAL will ever fold with be Big Three GAHS, Jackson, and Logan still being in it since it was established they will not let that tradition and being the oldest league in Ohio fall to the wayside. Also if we must pick up another team to play why not pick up Wheelersburg. JMO

Go Blue be another one of those Teams to say they BEAT Ironton.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

The_Old_Blue_Devil wrote:
Dinocrocetti wrote:I actually think picking up Fairland is a good move for Gallia. It is Avery close road game and Fairland will bring more people than average because of the close travel. Gallia keeping Ironton would be a pure business decision. If Gallia dorst need the revenue, they probably don't want the loss each year. I don't understand the panic about playing OVC schools, Gallia played Rock Hill and Coal Grove in the 80's. Fact is if the SEOAL were to fold, Gallia would move to OVC
How is picking up Fairland a good move for GAHS. I have talked to the past AD's in recent years about attendance and what not. Fact of the mater is attendance is down for the past three years the athletic department is hurting, Jackson, Ironton, and Logan in that order are our biggest gates High school football is pure "business" the football program funds most of the other sports. Also haven't you ever herd of "To be the best you must play with the best" meaning to fully judge the talent of our team we must play the best teams around us even. Also playing Ironton is one of the biggest games of the season for the players to be one of the few teams to Beat Ironton especially at the Tank. I know for a fact a lot of former Alumni would love to be able to say they beat them but only one team in 16 years can.

I doubt the SEOAL will ever fold with be Big Three GAHS, Jackson, and Logan still being in it since it was established they will not let that tradition and being the oldest league in Ohio fall to the wayside. Also if we must pick up another team to play why not pick up Wheelersburg. JMO

Go Blue be another one of those Teams to say they BEAT Ironton.
Yes it is so sweet to beat Ironton we did it in 71

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

Old blue devil, I didn't say drop Ironton and play Fairland. I said Fairland would be a good early season game for Gallia.

Yes, I have heard to be the best you have to play the best... I think ric flair used to say it... Woo!
However just playing the best doesn't necessarily make you the best.I do believe Gallia should continue to play Ironton in all sports. It makes good business sense.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

ALMOST GAME TIME
On the radio on WIRO 1230 AM
On the internet: http://www.foxsports1230.com/main.html
Click on LISTEN LIVE at the top left corner then on PLAY STATION in the middle next.
The computer link seems to be reliably working this year. Thanks FoxSports.

I started a separate UPDATES thread so this one is open for commentary and cheerleading.
At 6:00 PM it was 90 degrees on my thermometer here in north Ironton.
GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS
Jason and Kevin saying on the pre-game show that Ironton and Wheelersburg have signed a deal to keep each other as game 1 through 2018, and Ironton has signed St. Charles [Columbus?] and Amanda Clearcreek for next year.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

FINAL SCORE - NAIL-BITER- ENDING
IRONTON 14
GALLIA ACADEMY 13

Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

Kick the extra point and go play overtime !!!! I have never understood why a coach does this to his team who just made the final drive to possibly go into overtime. Terrible coaching decision. :122247

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

No such thing as a moral victory but the Gallia squad has to feel pretty darn good about themselves after this game. As for the going for the win at the end, hero or zero call for the coach if it works people would've been talking about how great of a call it was decades from now as it turns out the door is open for people to second guess him. I like the guts behind the call and honestly in my opinion it was probably the best chance for a Devils win. Both schools should be proud of putting on a great show for the fans tonight.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

We were gonna go to this game tonight, but decided to make the easier drive to Athens. Big mistake since this was such a great game.

Tough loss for the Blue Devils, but I'm sure they'll rebound.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Blackjack wrote:Kick the extra point and go play overtime !!!! I have never understood why a coach does this to his team who just made the final drive to possibly go into overtime. Terrible coaching decision. :122247
Were you there?
I was, and it was the RIGHT CALL!
Ironton had been pressuring the kicker in 2 previous fg attempts. Ironton had the momentum in the game, they were at home, to go to overtime and then lose would have been much worse. Now that is not to say that GAHS could not have won in overtime, but you had to be there. It was most definitely the right call. Congrats to The Devils on a well played game. Except for a Ironton punt return for a TD, Devils won the battle, just not the war. Good Game!

oldbluedevil
Waterboy

Post by oldbluedevil »

Hats off to the Devils. As for the ending I would have done the same thing "You play to win" we recovered a fumble drove down the field and got the 6 the "mo" was on our side althought probably would have ran the ball. But what a great game!

sprinter14
Varsity

Post by sprinter14 »

My personal opinion, ABSOLUTELY the right call by Gallia coach. When they scored, I immediately said, "go for 2" . Gutsy call by the coach and Gallia fans should appreciate the confidence he had in his boys. Great game to end the series with. The last 2 meetings Gallia has finally gotten to where they could almost beat Ironton and NOW they drop them?? Makes no sense to me.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Seems like Gallia Academy has really been playing well with the new offensive coordinator. Sounded like a heart breaker for Gallia who is probably much better than they were expected to be going into this game. Second year in a row this matchup went right down to the wire.

buck&blue
Waterboy

Post by buck&blue »

I didn't like the call---why assume it would be blocked? on three previous kick attempts they got some pressure but did not block it----I liked our chances in OT---oh well---

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

I wasn't there but i would have to day ironton had to be a big favorite. I say the coach made the right call. U have 3 yards to win the game against the favorite. Good call. Too bad it didn't work out. Sounds like an exciting game. I wish big blue would of won....hats
off to them though.

seoal83
Freshman Team

Post by seoal83 »

Congratulations on a hard fought victory for the tigers. I'm not sure the best team one tonight. But the team that made the plays when they had to won the game. Gallia had plenty of opportunities to put this game away and could not finish. As far as going for 2 i would of been fine either kicking the extra point or going for 2.

Blue devils just need to play for 48 minutes and they will be fine. in 2 games they have lost concentration or composure for about a total of 7 minutes of game time and it has cost them two loses.

I hope now from a gallia academy fan side we can go a week without questioning this teams toughness or size or physical play. 2 years in a row Gallia academy came into game with a winning game plan just could not quite execute it all the way through.

When you see the stats for this game you will wonder how ironton won 14-13. Game except for a few minutes of play was dominated by gallia academy they out gained ironton. 300 and sum yards to less then 150.

As far as pressure on the kicker i did not see any real pressure on him on any of the 3 kicks. 1st field goal attempt he just missed it. During warmups every 5th or 6th kick sort of hooked off to the right on him. just happens. the extra point looked fine to me. And the missed field goal at the end of the half was perfect just a little short. 42 yards is a pretty long attempt for him just being a sophomore and just getting started in football give him that kick a couple of more times and he makes it more times the he misses it.

Gallia stopped themselves more times then ironton did tonight but that is usually what happens against ironton.

good job devils keep your head up.

Return to “Football”