S

Re: River Valley @ South Gallia 8/17/2012 Jamboree Game

Post by BlizzardMan »

JV in for RV. 35-0.

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Post by BRUTUS IS A BEAST »

I wouldn't say either of them are the team to beat. Things look to be down thus year at both ends of the county

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

It's hard to tell how much RV had improved by this game.

seoal83
Freshman Team

Post by seoal83 »

made it out and watched first half of game tonight. my impressions are beautiful little place to play football. They could use a few more visiting bleachers but maybe that can be added later. At least the visiting bleachers there had some seats you could watch the game from. I wish i could say the same for the meigs field i was at last night. no my on the field observations.

first south gallia: if the quarterback can learn to secure the ball when he scrambles and they don't get beat up to much the next couple of weeks i think they will develop into a very competitive team.

river valley: team has great size, decent speed, but play soft. they reminded me of watching meigs the last two years in their scrimmages they do just not play physical. Very much a finesse team. i really haven't looked at their schedule can they win playing finesse football i don't know. if they can learn to be a little tougher and more physical they could develop into a nice team. quarterback and receivers need a little better timing to turn those long plays into really big plays.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

seoal83 wrote:made it out and watched first half of game tonight. my impressions are beautiful little place to play football. They could use a few more visiting bleachers but maybe that can be added later. At least the visiting bleachers there had some seats you could watch the game from. I wish i could say the same for the meigs field i was at last night. no my on the field observations.

first south gallia: if the quarterback can learn to secure the ball when he scrambles and they don't get beat up to much the next couple of weeks i think they will develop into a very competitive team.

river valley: team has great size, decent speed, but play soft. they reminded me of watching meigs the last two years in their scrimmages they do just not play physical. Very much a finesse team. i really haven't looked at their schedule can they win playing finesse football i don't know. if they can learn to be a little tougher and more physical they could develop into a nice team. quarterback and receivers need a little better timing to turn those long plays into really big plays.
Good analysis. They are more finesse. A lot of east to west running.

OH IO 07
Freshman Team

Post by OH IO 07 »

Not too sure I agree with the "finesse" description for RV. Seemed they were running power, inside zone, outside zone, along with speed option. No they weren't running double ISO, but don't think that makes them soft. I was impressed with all facets of RV. Saw at least 4 running backs who can carry the load during a varsity contest. QB play looked much improved over last year. Receivers ran good routes...just overall very impressed by the offense, which I believe really hurt them last year.

The defense looked exceptional. Good pursuit angles and great effort. All the defenders looked very athletic. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see a shutout or two.

Something of note for the future, I didn't notice any offensive linemen playing defense. They will be able to wear some teams out by the second half.
Just an overall team that looked very well coached and disciplined. 50/50 between them and CG in my mind for OVC.

SG looked decent for a DIV team. They should be competitive. Some good athletes on that team.
The defense had issues in the secondary though, both in coverage and tackling.

THE JUDGE and JURY
Waterboy

Post by THE JUDGE and JURY »

What's the status of Austin lewis went down early prayers for him and family looked like maybe a hamstring. Hope nothing serious just a tweek!

Hercules
JV Team

Post by Hercules »

RV looked good!!! Ready to play next week!!! I think that they will be one of the surprise teams in this area!!! SG looked confused most of the night and unless they get it fixed they will get every punt blocked this year!!! For a school that crows about their weight lifting program... They had a few good looking kids...but you would hVe a hard time convincing me that the majority of those kids even know where the weight room is!!!! I hope that they get things figured out and hope Spurlock and White make it thru the season without getting seriously hurt!!!

bevo
Varsity

Post by bevo »

seoal83 wrote:made it out and watched first half of game tonight. my impressions are beautiful little place to play football. They could use a few more visiting bleachers but maybe that can be added later. At least the visiting bleachers there had some seats you could watch the game from. I wish i could say the same for the meigs field i was at last night. no my on the field observations.

of course what does anyone expect you to say? I saw power when they needed it they scored on 6 straight possessions? and allowed Sg 2 first downs in the first half? SG was supposed to have the feature power power back,
seoal83 arrogance is what ticks me off about our fans! just say SG and RV both have better fields than we do as does meigs,RV has a nice very young football team YOUNG! prob 5 sophs start on both sides of the ball what i was told and not a sr on the oline.

jimbobhampton
Waterboy

Post by jimbobhampton »

RV controlled the scrimmage as expected by anyone with an unbiased view of the two county schools. RV will likely compete for the top spot in the OVC. SG will be just fine as well. The Rebels will only see a couple of teams on their schedule who would compete with the Raiders. Good luck to both squads in their upcoming seasons!

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Post by Rvbballdude »

THE JUDGE and JURY wrote:What's the status of Austin lewis went down early prayers for him and family looked like maybe a hamstring. Hope nothing serious just a tweek!
Austin rolled his ankle then the big heavy referee stepped on his foot at the same time,he did walk off on his own power,I thought Bernie Stanley did a great job running the ball after Austin went down. Then Kyle Brown came and a couple series he is 6-3 245 tail back! Exploded two SG players on that 8 yard TD run!

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

I thought I heard the trainer tell Coach Hill Austin would be fine. Could be wrong.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Rvbballdude wrote:
THE JUDGE and JURY wrote:What's the status of Austin lewis went down early prayers for him and family looked like maybe a hamstring. Hope nothing serious just a tweek!
Austin rolled his ankle then the big heavy referee stepped on his foot at the same time,he did walk off on his own power,I thought Bernie Stanley did a great job running the ball after Austin went down. Then Kyle Brown came and a couple series he is 6-3 245 tail back! Exploded two SG players on that 8 yard TD run!
6'3"? Has he grown over the past year? I think Kyle is just as good, which is a good thing for RV.

Mightymanchamp
Waterboy

Post by Mightymanchamp »

Bevo wrote:

of course what does anyone expect you to say? I saw power when they needed it they scored on 6 straight possessions? and allowed Sg 2 first downs in the first half? SG was supposed to have the feature power power back,
seoal83 arrogance is what ticks me off about our fans! just say SG and RV both have better fields than we do as does meigs,RV has a nice very young football team YOUNG! prob 5 sophs start on both sides of the ball what i was told and not a sr on the oline.
Actually on defense there are only 4 kids that arnt seniors austin bradley junior chris macavena sophmore and mark wray freshman and jon kostival junior. and on offense there are also only 4 kids that start on offense that are not seniors jacob steel soph jesse hawks soph jordan gilliand soph and austin bradley junior. as far as offensive line they have 3 sophmores 1 junior and 1 senior

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Post by Rvbballdude »

Mightymanchamp wrote:
Bevo wrote:

Actually on defense there are only 4 kids that arnt seniors austin bradley junior chris macavena sophmore and mark wray freshman and jon kostival junior. and on offense there are also only 4 kids that start on offense that are not seniors jacob steel soph jesse hawks soph jordan gilliand soph and austin bradley junior. as far as offensive line they have 3 sophmores 1 junior and 1 senior
so Sean Roberts does not start on Offense? he is a JR, lol Starting don't mean crap,Lewis went out first series he starts did a Sr step in for him,the point is there are tons of under class-men who can play.!

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Post by Rvbballdude »

BlizzardMan wrote:
Rvbballdude wrote:
6'3"? Has he grown over the past year? I think Kyle is just as good, which is a good thing for RV.
Kyle is a good power back ,but Austin has what you don't teach,instincts and he can cut ,both run too straight up. Either are a load to bring down.I like the change of pace with Bernie that kid just wants to hit someone!

seoal83
Freshman Team

Post by seoal83 »

I did not mean they did not run power formations. My point was as much bigger and quicker as river valley was then south gallia. they should of been knocking them off the line from the first snap of the ball. Now they did begin to do that in second quarter after SG begin to wear down. but that looked to me more like RV's speed then river valleys boys blowing them off the ball. But if they play bigger teams i don't know how that is going to work out for them.

I haven't watched river valley play since my nephew graduated 4 or 5 years ago. So i have nothing to compare them to as far as improving or not improving. but i will say this team looked much better then any team i have scene on field since the schools combined and became river valley.

But i can compare them to meigs a team in same region as them, and what i can tell you about that is the meigs team i scene friday night would over power the river valley team i saw last night on line play. Now i think if the 2 of them play everyone better bring a lot of stuff because its going to be a long night. think both teams would have a hard time running against the other team. so each team would probably throw it 40 times a piece which i get the feeling neither team would mind doing.

Who knows maybe their style is just not as physical. maybe the blocking schemes and such weren't as physical because they didn't have to be. if they were using zone blocking techniques that is more about controlling your defender then opening a big hole and looks less physical. For their sake i just hope they can be physical when they have to if not a physical team will dominate them.

Rebelcat
All Conference

Post by Rebelcat »

Everyone seems to be on the mark with their obsevsrtuons. For the first time in recent memory, River Valley looked like a D4 school. I am referring to the numbers and size. A lot of credit to the coach and staff up that way as it is obvious they have the Raiders moving in the right direction. River Valley will develop into a solid program and last night was just the first glance of what's to come. Not saying they will win OVC or anything but by the time they roll into TVC people are going to see a much different RV than in the past. Adding RV to TVC is going to be a winner for both the school and league.

As for SG, I actually come away from the game feeling better than I did going into last night. The team is very young but has some good athletes. Also over 30 kids dressing with very few seniors so I think by the end of this season the team should show some solid improvement. This will be a rebuilding year for the team but they should win some games and be set up for a solid 2013 season. I am very excited to watch this team this season!

Finally my observations on the facility. WOW. Beautiful setting is the first thing that comes to mind. It was a standing room only crowd but RV brought more fans than probably everyone except Wahama and Symmes Valley and neither are at SG this year so we should be ok. The facility building itself is amazing! I used to think Oak Hill had the best one I had seen but this one and the one at RV surpass it. SG and RV fans should be proud. It's a new day!

Good luck to both teams this season! Go Rebels and Raiders!

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Best line since '03 in which I was a part of. They have a little more size than we did though. They seem to have a lot more complex blocking schemes than we did then too.

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Post by Rvbballdude »

seoal83 wrote:I did not mean they did not run power formations. My point was as much bigger and quicker as river valley was then south gallia. they should of been knocking them off the line from the first snap of the ball. Now they did begin to do that in second quarter after SG begin to wear down. but that looked to me more like RV's speed then river valleys boys blowing them off the ball. But if they play bigger teams i don't know how that is going to work out for them.

I haven't watched river valley play since my nephew graduated 4 or 5 years ago. So i have nothing to compare them to as far as improving or not improving. but i will say this team looked much better then any team i have scene on field since the schools combined and became river valley.

But i can compare them to meigs a team in same region as them, and what i can tell you about that is the meigs team i scene friday night would over power the river valley team i saw last night on line play. Now i think if the 2 of them play everyone better bring a lot of stuff because its going to be a long night. think both teams would have a hard time running against the other team. so each team would probably throw it 40 times a piece which i get the feeling neither team would mind doing.

Who knows maybe their style is just not as physical. maybe the blocking schemes and such weren't as physical because they didn't have to be. if they were using zone blocking techniques that is more about controlling your defender then opening a big hole and looks less physical. For their sake i just hope they can be physical when they have to if not a physical team will dominate them.
You must have had a bad seat and they are not exclusivly a power team you don't have to be if you can pass,this RV team can pass i have not seen a Meigs team with Jacob Well or Boyer at Qb who could pass consistantly,because they rely on the run so much. Last night there were 2 formations where the TE went in motion ended up beside the FB the off side guard pulls and it is a power formation they prob got 8 yards a carry off it. This offense is more modern than anything most southern Ohio Teams run,because you can do what it takes to win with it depending on what your playing against.
I thought after the jitters left the play calling was tremendous. If you can PASS a physical team will not dominate you!

Return to “Football”