JohnKnight
Varsity

Chilly headed to SCOL?

Post by JohnKnight »

shoelace
JV Team

Re: Chilly headed to SCOL?

Post by shoelace »

There was an article from the Wilmington paper last week as well.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

With this , maybe Logan will retink its position on persueing the MSL!
Last edited by moonshine on Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

The SCOL is a good fit for Chillicothe. As is the MSL. I don't think the OCC is a good fit because Chillicothe keeps shrinking in size while the OCC schools continue to grow.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Chillicothe will own the SCOL--they will be sorry

Ironmen44
JV Team

Post by Ironmen44 »

I agree with noreply66. This is not a good fit for Chilly. They will dominate in this league. The SEOAL is a good fit for Chilly. Very competitive. If they win the SEOAL then they know they have accomplished something.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Chilli may own it in boys basketball - Wilmington can have some good team, however - but they won't in a lot of other sports.

jumphigh
Varsity

Post by jumphigh »

There was a group of people who said that Chillicothe would dominate the SEOAL when they switched from the OCC. That has not happened. I believe Chilli has earned the following league championships in 6 seasons. If I am wrong on the championships I will be happy to correct them
Boys soccer 3
Boys basketball 3
Boys tennis 2
Girls tennis 4
Girls soccer 2
Girls track 1

sibibis45
JV Team

Post by sibibis45 »

Chilli would not own the SCOL. Clinton Massie would thump them in football. Basketball they would be one of the top teams. But in other sports Chilli would be good in that league but not dominate.

It won't happen though. East Clinton, Clinton Massie and Greenfield for some reason will vote against it. Greenfield needs to vote for it or there Football schedule will be a killer. Right now they will have to fill 5 non-conference games. Those games will be mostly independent teams looking to fill their schedule.

buckcraze
JV Team

Post by buckcraze »

jumphigh wrote:There was a group of people who said that Chillicothe would dominate the SEOAL when they switched from the OCC. That has not happened. I believe Chilli has earned the following league championships in 6 seasons. If I am wrong on the championships I will be happy to correct them
Boys soccer 3
Boys basketball 3
Boys tennis 2
Girls tennis 4
Girls soccer 2
Girls track 1
I agree! I am a litle selfish because my CAVS still being in the OCC would allow me to see them much more often, and in many more sports, but I thought it was mistake to join the SEOAL in the first place. Mistake #1, my opinion, and that is all it is, was that the leadership in Chilly thought they would search out an easier league to compete in instead of demanding excellence from their coaches, players, parents, and programs. Improving the programs would have been the better idea rather than searching for an easier league. SEOAL folks please do not read into that opinion too much. I do not believe Chilly found the SEOAL to be an easier league in general, mistake #2. Chilly has actually had to travel more at times in the SEOAL than they did in the OCC, mistake #3. The SEOAL has offered plenty of challenge to Chilly in almost every sport, it has offered more travel at times than when it was in the OCC, and the programs are no better for it! We often must make the hard choice and look inward for quality change not outward. IMPROVE YOUR PRGRAMS!!! IMPROVE YOUR COACHES OF YOUR PROGRAMS!!!! IMPROVE THE ATTITUDES OF THE PARENTS AND THE COMMUNITY!!!!! The best changes one can most often make are the changes from within.

As far as the SCOL goes, the eight team league helps with scheduling, three league opponents will be thirty-five minutes away (Washinton C.H., Miami Trace, and Greenfield) Wilmington forty-five mimnutes away so travel may be helped some. Chilly will not dominate this league consistently. Until Chilly is willing to change from within, improve their programs, they will only try to be as good as their oppenents.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I hear the Death March playing for the SEOAL.........

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

Read that the SEOAL is looking for new schools and that two schools are interested. Any guesses as to who?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

HSFBFAN wrote:Read that the SEOAL is looking for new schools and that two schools are interested. Any guesses as to who?
Athens and Ironton? Lol

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

http://www.wnewsj.com/main.asp?SectionI ... eID=196976
2/28/2012 5:35:00 PM

SCOL may vote on adding Wilmington, Chillicothe March 8

Wilmington City Schools Superintendent Ron Sexton was part of a meeting Tuesday morning with the South Central Ohio League Board of Control.

“It was a very frank conversation, very cordial, very friendly conversation … even though we pretty much know everybody there,” said Sexton, who attended along with Wilmington High School principal Brent Carey and WHS athletic director Mike Wallace.

After hearing presentations Tuesday from potential new members Chillicothe and Wilmington, the SCOL Board of Control has scheduled a March 8 meeting to potentially vote on admitting both schools to the league.

Jim Winner, SCOL commissioner, said the March 8 meeting will take place at 4:30 p.m. in Washington C.H. prior to the league’s annual winter sports banquet.

Sexton said advantages to Wilmington joining the SCOL would be decreased travel distances and increased gate receipts. He wasn’t sure of the outcome of a possible vote.

“I came away from the meeting neither pessimistic nor optimistic about our chances,” said Sexton.

Wilmington’s joining the SCOL has been before the SCOL board of control previously. When East Clinton was added last year, Wilmington was on the agenda. After East Clinton was added, to then become the eighth league member, Wilmington was not put up for an official vote.

The first order of business at the March 8 meeting, Winner said, will be a vote to amend the league rules to state 80 percent of the current members (or five of six on this particular vote) will be needed to add a new school to the league.

Winner said at one time it took a 100 percent vote from the SCOL members to admit a new school, then that changed to six of seven and then to the current seven of eight. Winner said the league wants to get away from a specific number of schools and go with a percentage instead.

London and Madison-Plains will not have a vote because both have decided to leave the SCOL for the Mid-State League after the 2012-13 school year.

The remaining league members are Clinton-Massie, East Clinton (a new member for the 2012-13 school year), Hillsboro, McClain, Miami Trace and Washington.

Winner said Tuesday’s presentations were made at the Hillsboro City Schools administrative offices. The principals and athletic directors of the schools that will be voting on admission were present for the meeting.

“Oh my gosh, what a great job they did. They were both just tremendous presentations,” Winner said.

The commissioner said both schools discussed topics including ticket revenue and their potential fan following, facilities, school enrollment, busing schedules, proximity, sports offered, future enrollment and league commitments. Winner said there was a question-and-answer period after each presentation.

Wilmington is currently a member of the Fort Ancient Valley Conference, and has what Winner said is a “two-year verbal commitment” to the new Southwest Ohio Conference beginning with the 2012-13 school year.

Chillicothe is currently a member of the Southeast Ohio Athletic League is committed there through the 2012-13 school year.

Wilmington offers lacrosse and bowling to its student-athletes, which no other SCOL school currently offers, and Chillicothe has bowling. The FAVC does not have lacrosse as an official league sport. Bowling is an FAVC championship sport.

Winner said between now and the March 8 SCOL meeting the league’s athletic directors and principals will be going back to their various school districts to see what the feelings of their respective boards of education are on a possible vote.

“I would have no idea how that would come along,” Winner said.

The SCOL is currently in its ninth year after re-forming for the 2003-04 school year, prior to disbanding for about 10 years. The league was originally formed in 1923 and disbanded once earlier from 1931-35 before re-forming for the 1936-37 school year.

“It’s not definite that we are going to make a decision on March 8, but all plans are for that to happen,” Winner added. “That’s what we think will happen on March 8.”

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Orange and Brown wrote:I hear the Death March playing for the SEOAL.........

Would that make you happy? :roll:

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

From a very good source it will be Nelsonville-York and Athens, This will be acceptable after N-Y and Trimble combines schools systems

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

With Nelson/York and Trimble going together they couldn't be a power house in the SEOAL--maybe Chillicothe saw this coming and are looking to run. :lol:

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

I can't see Nelsonville leaving the TVC unless like LHS72 said they combine with trimble than maybe

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

How big would NY/Trimble be if they were to combine?

Return to “Football”