Field turf at Tanks memorial stadium

ItownHosscat
S

Field turf at Tanks memorial stadium

Post by ItownHosscat »

From what Im hearing theres a group of Ironton businessmen looking into the possibility of getting this put down.
For or against,thoughts...

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Re: Field turf at Tanks memorial stadium

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

WOW......While I like the grass Field with Tanks Memorial Stadium I think something needs to be done with the Field and Field Turf would be a good solution to leveling out the Field and helping in the prevention of injuries. I've done SOME research on injuries suffered between Field Turf and Real Grass and Field Turf has come along ways in the last few years when it comes to injuries.

http://www.fieldturf.com/football-turf/safety/

http://www.fieldturf.com/football-turf/cost-analysis/

I say go for it...........
Last edited by ohbuckeye2 on Thu May 05, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ItownBrowns
Freshman Team

Post by ItownBrowns »

As far as the debate between field turf v grass goes I really dont have a strong opinion either way. There are pro's and con's to both. The determining factor depends on your needs and particular set of circumstances. As far as Tanks goes I dont have a problem with field turf. Field turf is pricey stuff, and if you consider it a need one would be crazy not to take advantage of the opportunity. Personally, I think there are many other things that kind of money could improve that are of greater need. But hey its not my money so if thats what they want to spend their funds on, God bless them and we all should appreciate such generosity.

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

I love to play on grass, but the work and upkeep can get difficult, especially if other sports are on it. At Johnstown we are on our field year round playing two hand touch or for camp days in the summer, etc. It's nice to have a painted field to practice/play/train on at any time of the year. You also regardless of weather have a safe place to practice on without tearing the field up. Grass is the best for 5-6 nights a year, but the rest of the time field turf is much better.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Against. If the Tank was a newer stadium then Id say put field turf in like at Rock Hill and Jackson, but I think you leave the grass there. Its fits in better with the stadium than field turf does. Im totally against it, but what would be cool is to field turf the baseball field. That would look sweet down there. Thats already a nice field, but turf it uip would be awesome. Thats just my opinion.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

GOOD DEAL!! THE TANK WILL LOOK GOOD!!

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Good start the tank needs a make over and tuff will solve your field problem. I know a few years back the Chiefs play in a mud pit after a day of rain. Good luck on raising the required funds!

Malcontent
Freshman Team

Post by Malcontent »

Two of the oldest high school fields Massillon's Paul Brown and Canton McKinley's Fawcett Stadium both have field turf. I think Ironton would benefit from installing the turf. You could play many games on this without the mud baths previously mentioned.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Field Turf for sure, when you can practise on the field you will play games on helps a great deal.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Have these businessmen been in contact with the School (Superintendent, School Board, Principal, AD, Coach Lutz) about this? If so wonder what their thoughts are about changing Bob Lutz Field from Natural Grass to Field Turf?

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Why should we care if they change Bob Lutz's field to turf and I think he would be for it since the field is in bad shape. I don't want to hear that the field is not in bad shape it is uneven up too three feet in some places.

tk421
Varsity

Post by tk421 »

There are a lot more problems with the Tank then the field. If they want to spend the close to $1 million dollars, they need to fix and upgrade the stadium. The wood is rotting and old, the roof leaks, the bathroom fixtures need replacing, the wiring is old and outdated, the sound system is horrible, etc. etc. Not to mention the problems in the locker rooms and other facilities underneath the stadium that I don't know about.

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

Field turf is only around 500,00 to 650,000 not a million dollars.

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

God made grass to play football on. Mud games are games you remember forever.

tk421
Varsity

Post by tk421 »

Keep the grass, it's a huge advantage when everyone else is playing on turf and they have to come to the Tank and play in some water. One thing though, does anyone at all do anything to keep up the field? Each and every year the grass is dead in the exact same spots, they don't spend anything putting seed down or something?

86Tiger
JV Team

Post by 86Tiger »

If the field wasn't in such bad shape I would say keep the grass but the field is horrible and it isn't only about the mud.

tk421
Varsity

Post by tk421 »

Having brand new field turf in the old stadium is going to look very out of place. It's like putting brand new hardwood flooring in a run down house.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Field turf at Tank Stadium would be a HUGE plus........at Portsmouth, we had a good number of people who wanted to keep the Trojans at Spartan Stadium despite the promise of a new stadium with field turf........I was not one of those people........I love our new Trojan Coliseum........with field turf.......and levee........for the Tank, any upgrade would be a good upgrade and at least it's a start to modernize it.........change can be very good sometimes, and I hope that the future Fighting Tigers get to play on it.

Maintaining a grass field must involve man hours, and judging by the last several years, the field at the Tank has really gone downhill for some reason........sitting in the visitors stand, I have seen large holes at various places on the field.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i see it as a huge plus. while i'm more for grass , tank stadium, does need revamping and for some reason the field just is not right. while i love to watch mud games, i think it would be much more practical, nearly maintenance free. and an awesome start, on revamping tanks memorial stadium, and the tigers could practice as well as play there. and still have a grass field to practice on, it they are playing an opponent with natural grass.and grade schools could host playoff games there, middle school games and the likes. i see it as a huge focal point of ironton.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

personally i'd love to see a tiger head on the field or a huge I , at midfield, and ironton in one end and fighting tigers at the other, we have brand new schools, why not the turf, the tank will still be the tank. and maybe at the 20's bob lutz field, gonna do it , GO FOR IT.

Return to “Football”