2011 Marietta Tigers

fortdawg
All Conference

Re: 2011 Marietta Tigers

Post by fortdawg »

I would like to defend Coach Springer--I coached against the man and I'm a FH graduate. He had over 70 boys out for varsity FB at Federal (that's miracle stuff)--I would wager that there has been 3 seasons in a row where if you added all the players up it wouldn't come up to 70!--The man was honest in his dealings with me and he had a fine winning % that was carried on after he left.
Marietta is lucky to have the guy--It's not like that's been the "Garden of Eden" to coach at---The man will be fine, participation will increase and he'll win the games he's supposed to and maybe some he shouldn't.

Snowman79
Riding the Bench

Post by Snowman79 »

It just comes down to the politics and over ego'd coaches and leaders that have made up Marietta sports for as long as I can remember. Coach Stevens should be the Marietta coach if everything were handled in the right fashion... The man has been in the program, in the school and involved in other parts of Marietta athletics for years and wanted the position. I don't know what the reasoning was involved in the decision process on giving it to Farnsworth or Springer but economically, Stevens would be the better option and also as an member of the faculty for years the job should had been his, considering he was here long before Springer was ever working his way in. Plus after cutting positions and sports, classes etc I don't see how Marietta can afford to hire a coach only instead of a teacher who wants the job and has everything he would need to hold the position

Btw I'm a Marietta fan but mainly just a Washington County fan and after being involved in Marietta athletics in the past and remaining friends with many Marietta coaches etc, I want to see the Tigers do well, the kids deserve better but Marietta fans do not need to bring down the past coaches and players because quite honestly the performance and program hasn't been righted and nor do I see it changing.. So please let's let the scoreboard and effort do the talking in defending the current staff and coach.

cpatiger
Waterboy

Post by cpatiger »

Supposedly Coach Springer coached last year for a salary of $ 1.00. Probaby doing the same this season. And he was asked to help when Andy Schob was coaching but must have decided against that invitation.

tigerstrike2011
Waterboy

Post by tigerstrike2011 »

Snowman: Hiring Springer or Stevens would cost the district the same amount. I don't believe that being in one place for a long time makes one deserving of being a head coach. (Not saying that Stevens doesn't deserve it, but that's just a poor argument) I would even point out that being at a school during a stretch of below .500 seasons does not seem real attractive either. If a coach remains part of a system, then he must agree with what is going on. I think Stevens would have been more attractive had he left Marietta and coached in a winning program, then wanted to return.
You're right about the program though, I think it will be several years before they have a winning season. Marietta doesn't have enough boys that want to play the tougher sports. They all play the push and shove games.

Snowman79
Riding the Bench

Post by Snowman79 »

Stevens was there when things were going good also as schenk said. Schob needed to go, a change was needed but I believe Stevens having been there during good and bad would really benefit the program more than a guy who they'd never heard or seen. And too that point now a coach who has been around and around and apparently left quite a trail behind, Which doesn't seem very attractive either. I don't know if you or other people in Marietta just want to ignore that or what but I don't think people get on here and complain for no reason, and quite honestly being around Marietta athletics in the past, I don't think people ever seem to want to show their displeasure but just go along and praise the current situation which is good, it's fine but you have to stop that at a point and listen to other thoughts, opinions and facts.

Well I guess let me ask you this, why would a Marietta athlete or any athlete at any school in this position with any sport... Why would they want to play in a program that's had 3 coaches in 3 years and very little good play and going to a bigger and more competitive league (most years)? I don't think that it's a matter of tough, that's just a poor comment, I think it may be a matter of dignity and better use of time. Afterall Marietta does have one of the best soccor programs in southern Ohio as well as a cross country program that is probably one of the most respected programs in the area.

LoveSponge425
Waterboy

Post by LoveSponge425 »

Who is going to be on the Coaching Staff??????????

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Heard Marietta struggled badly at the passing scrimmage tourney atWilliamstown this weekend.They went 1-3 losing to River,Williamstown,and Wirt and beat PBurg Souths JV.Also heard Eli Parimeter does not have the grades.Matt Mckitrick was asked not to play by Springer.

LoveSponge425
Waterboy

Post by LoveSponge425 »

EasternDspy wrote:Heard Marietta struggled badly at the passing scrimmage tourney atWilliamstown this weekend.They went 1-3 losing to River,Williamstown,and Wirt and beat PBurg Souths JV.Also heard Eli Parimeter does not have the grades.Matt Mckitrick was asked not to play by Springer.
McKitrict not playing in the scrimmage or not playing this year?

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

From what a player told me Springer told him he should not even come out for football this year.I don't get it cause Matt is the teams best player.

#1MHSfan
Waterboy

Post by #1MHSfan »

Farnesworth Quote (Marietta Times) April 21 2011 "There is a good core group of returning players with experience. I look for the team to be improved and possibly be .500, or with a couple fortunate bounces, be 6-4. I wish the players the best and thank them for their hard work and willingness to do what it takes to get better. The next coach is going to have a great group of players." The measuring stick has been set.

tigerstrike2011
Waterboy

It appears that two members of that "core" are gone.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Good kids on this team but they can not compete without everyone.Without Mckitrick and Parimeter they will be very weak.Futrell will Qb,Leach FB,Wings- Deeter and Gerhart.I think they could lose to D6 Rosecrans.Wing T is a whack offsence you can only run so many sweeps.They could go spread wing T but the qb don't have an arm.

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

It has been a long time since I have been on here or heard anything about sports down south but some how news of this whole coaching thing made it up my way. I was scouting at a camp and recognized a Warren player and had a chat about football down that way with his dad. I find it truly disturbing some of things that go on. I did not realize this stuff when i was in high school but now I see it. Being a high school football coach seems to be harder than being a college coach and high school coaches get paid poorly. Parents are just throwing the coaches under the bus, criticizing at every chance and the rumor mill cranks out more crap than anything. I mean what would it hurt just to give a coach a chance to just win? I mean no parents bothering, no smack talk about him and no publicly talking about a new coach after one season. If Marietta was just to do that I am sure that the program could get turned around. It really saddens me to see the ol team in such a spot like this. Coaches come and go for their own reasons and do things the way they feel is the best way to win. Sometimes we all just need to step back and let the coach do the coaching. I had 2 coaches while at Marietta and I still call them both Coach when I see them with no hard feelings that they left for their own reasons. Parents and others need to give this new coach a chance because once the wins starting coming the complaining will stop.

LoveSponge425
Waterboy

Post by LoveSponge425 »

EasternDspy wrote:From what a player told me Springer told him he should not even come out for football this year.I don't get it cause Matt is the teams best player.
Springer can't tell someone not to play. Yes he is one of the best players. Sounds like problems already from Springer! Need more Info?

#1MHSfan
Waterboy

Post by #1MHSfan »

BigMcCauley55 wrote:It has been a long time since I have been on here or heard anything about sports down south but some how news of this whole coaching thing made it up my way. I was scouting at a camp and recognized a Warren player and had a chat about football down that way with his dad. I find it truly disturbing some of things that go on. I did not realize this stuff when i was in high school but now I see it. Being a high school football coach seems to be harder than being a college coach and high school coaches get paid poorly. Parents are just throwing the coaches under the bus, criticizing at every chance and the rumor mill cranks out more crap than anything. I mean what would it hurt just to give a coach a chance to just win? I mean no parents bothering, no smack talk about him and no publicly talking about a new coach after one season. If Marietta was just to do that I am sure that the program could get turned around. It really saddens me to see the ol team in such a spot like this. Coaches come and go for their own reasons and do things the way they feel is the best way to win. Sometimes we all just need to step back and let the coach do the coaching. I had 2 coaches while at Marietta and I still call them both Coach when I see them with no hard feelings that they left for their own reasons. Parents and others need to give this new coach a chance because once the wins starting coming the complaining will stop.
McCauley, you’ve got to be JOKING. Please get your own house in order. :lol:

tigerstrike2011
Waterboy

MHSFan- you're right on that one. That's the pot calling the kettle black!

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

Well when I left my house this morning everything looked fine except the fact that I left the AC on high and the coffee pot was half full. See I don't live in Marietta and I haven't for 3 years now. I live in Kent Ohio with my girlfriend and love my job because well its pretty sweet. Whatever is going on in Marietta isn't my issue or my business. I'm not surprised someone from Marietta tried to bring something up like that because it just reinforces the Marietta is a huge rumor mill and people don't mind their own business.

Now I posted that because it is true especially from what I heard. I was glad to see talent out of the area come up for the camp and work out. I think that area has a lot of potential but no one has tapped into it because kids can not develop properly when there is a coaching change frequently. Props to the boys from Jackson and the QB from Warren for showing off the talent.

LoveSponge425
Waterboy

Post by LoveSponge425 »

What's going on with Matt Mckitrick ???????????????

LoveSponge425
Waterboy

Post by LoveSponge425 »

player8...............what is going on with Matt?

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

The player I spoke to said coach Springer went out to eat with Matt and at the end of the talk Springer asked him not to come out.Mckitrick has been the most talked about Tiger for years and has a lot of talent.

Return to “Football”