SEOPS Hippo

Re: Portsmouth Trojans Football 2011

Post by noreply66 »

ttt

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Thoughts and prayers to Coach Clifford and his family from the West side.

blockcharge
Freshman Team

Post by blockcharge »

Thought and Prayers to Coach and Mary

oldtrojan
All State
Location: Misplaced in Northeastern,Pa rooting for the Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, and Trojans.

Post by oldtrojan »

Prayers go out to Curt, Mary, Tyler, Catlin, and the entire Clifford family.

REST IN PEACE COURTNEY... THE LORD AND THE HEAVENS ARE CERTAINLY GETTING AN ANGEL!

"ONCE A TROJAN, ALWAYS A TROJAN"

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

OK, lets get this thread going again. We are around month away from passing camp getting started. What new info does everyone have? With what I know right now, this is my prediction for starters. Please tell me what differences you have.
LT Sr. Kyle Ratcliff (Started at center last season, has seen time since his sophomore year. Kyle is tall and athletic; he needs to be the leader of the line this season. )
LG Sr. Tyler Scott ( Has seen time in the past, will need to step into a starting role this season to help sure up a line that has had struggles in previous years)
C Sr. JW Horsley ( has played multiple place on both sides of the ball, smart, and athletic JW will rely on speed off the ball and athletic ability more than brute force. I like JW at c, because of his speed, and intelligence. C is one of the harder spots to play; I believe JW is up to the challenge)
RG So. Alex Grashel (big and strong but only a sophomore may have some growing pains, but he has grown up around Trojan football, and knows what it’s about. Saw time last year in special team and mop up situations. Alex will be a central part of the Trojans for the next 3 seasons. )
RT Jr. Andy Hayden ( Saw time last year due to injury, should be able to settle into a spot this season. Andy is larger with a good reach)
TE Sr. Austin Porter ( Has played everywhere for the Trojans on the defensive side of the ball since his sophomore year from DE, LB, and S. Limited time on the O, but Austin is hardnosed and quick although he is a little undersized for TE, don’t expect to see him back down from anyone.)
WR Sr. LJ Adams ( L.J. is a very capable WR, that saw significant time last season, although he was over shadowed by other WR’s, look for LJ to be the leading receiver this year.)
WR So. Brandon Weederbrook (Brandon has proved to be a quality football player at the lower levels, this year he will step up to the varsity level. Look for continued success in years to come from him, although he might take some bumps this season as a So.)
RB/WR So. Johnnie Charles ( another from the very strong sophomore class, Jonnie is quick and had proved to be a quality RB at the freshman and JH levels. This year he will most likely fill the RB/WR spot that has been filled by Jon Royster the last few seasons. Although Johnnie doesn’t have the speed of Royster, he has great field vision, and lateral moves. )
RB SR Zaide Whitley ( Zaide is a great athlete, this has been shown on the bball court for the Trojans, and while Zaide was at Burg, and Salem Virginia. He has breakaway speed, and size, something the Trojans have lacked in the back field for some time, I look for the Trojans to run the ball more this season with Zaide caring the majority of the load. )
QB Sr. Mason Jordan (Mason stepped into the starting QB spot last year for the Trojans after the injury to Myers. Mason quickly made a name for himself as one of the better QB’s in the SEOAL, and around the area. Although not a blazer Mason is quick , with a talent to allude defenders, and a very strong arm. I look for him to air the ball out this year with even greater success than last season. )

OTHERS that may contribute
OG Jr. Levi Hall, (saw time at LB last season, but can also compete for an OG spot, and will most likely share sometime this season.)
TE SR Ronnie Truman ( Will most likely share the TE spot with Porter. Truman is larger although not as fast as Porter, bringing us a different look, and keeping them both fresh for the defensive side.
WR SR Mike Lawson ( Quick, and athletic look for Mike to be one of the play runners, seeing significant time)
? JR Duke Edwards ( Not sure if he is playing or not, and not positive where he will play at. Duke is big, strong and fast for his size. Anyone that has watched him play bball will attest to this. I would like to see him at TE, or possibly try him in a more traditional FB set. I think he could really clear a hole to run through or be able to bang out a few yards of his own.)

On the D
DE JR Duke Edwards ( see above about Duke, these attributes should make him a good DE as well)
DT So. Alex Grashel ( he has been a force at the lower level, and although it will be tougher for him this season, Alex should be up to the challenge of stepping into a DT spot)
DT So. Brian Sexton ( Brian has traditionally been a DE, however I think we can move him down this year to fill a needed gap. However If Duke doesn’t come out he will be needed at DE)
DE Sr. Ronnie Truman ( Ronnie should step in to fill a DE spot this season. He has good size and mobility and should be able to contain the outsize as well fight with the opposing o-line.
OLB Sr. Austin Porter ( Austin returns to the defensive side of the ball, and will be the leader of the defense this year. Strong and versatile it is not uncommon to see him flying all over the field)
MLB Jr Levi Hall ( Levi saw time last season, and stepped in and played well for a sophomore. I look this year for him to come into his own. Levi has a good skill set, and reads the ball very well.)
MLB So Johnnie Charles ( Johnnie is quick and strong, and has proven to be a solid linebacker at lower levels, this year he will need to step up to the varsity level. He should be up to the challenge)
OLB Sr. Zaide Whitley ( Zaide has the skill set to play LB or DB for the Trojans. Look for him to drop to the SS depending on the D. If Zaide is getting as many carries on the O as I think he will his time may become less on the D as the season progress, especially if some else steps up.)
CB Sr. LJ Adams ( LJ will return to a CB position this season, he has good coverage skills and can make the break on the ball or go up with taller receivers.)
CB SO. Brandon Weederbrook ( Brandon has the skills to be a solid CB at the varsity level, he will just have to adjust the bigger and stronger receivers than he has seen in the past.)
FS Sr. Mason Jordan (I assume we will move Mason back to FS, from OLB which he played last season. Mason may still see some time at LB, but he won’t take the beating at FS as he would at LB. We have to protect him as QB, so expect to see him start and play in important situations but limited time unless needed. Someone else proves they can play this spot we would of course prefer rest him.

Others on the D
DE Sr. JW Horsley ( JW saw time last season at DE, and at time look good at it. This year he will be asked to do more on the O-line which will limit his time on the D unless needed. )
DT Sr. Kyle Ratcliff ( Kyle’s size and athletic ability will be a welcome addition to the DT spot. As a O-line starter he will be one of a host of guys working in at the DT spot.
DT Sr. Tyler Scott ( Tyler much like Kyle above will be one of several guys I see working in at the DT position, as most will be playing on the O-line again.)
DB So Cody Stapleton ( very good athlete Cody will most likely be the JV QB this year, but I expect to see him work in the defensive back field for the varsity. He is a very good athlete, as evident as being the only freshman last season to go on the tournament run with the bball team)
DB Sr. Mike Lawson ( Mike should be a big time contributor on special team, and will be the first to get a shot to fill a spot in the defensive back field so that we can rest some of the offensive starters.

Well this here is my guess for next year. I feel pretty good about the offense, but the D has a lot of unproven guys and we look to be playing quite a few both ways. I think they can be ok if we grow up fast and the offense can stay on the field. Zaide’s kicking ability will be a lift to the d.

That’s my outlook what does everyone else think? I think this could be a playoff year for the Trojans, and who know once you win a few it becomes habit. I personally think with the exception of Jackson, the SEOAL isn’t going to be as strong as it has been in the past.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Trojand FB Alum: I agree with you about the SEOAL not being particularly strong this year........there's no question in my mind that the success of the 2011 Trojans will be determined by the stop troops.......last year, 32 PPG given up by the defense, while the offense scored a very respectable 22 PPG, and the result, a 3-7 season.........if the defense can hold opponents to under 20 PPG, which is a reasonable expectation, Portsmouth will be in the playoffs. If they cannot do this, it will be another losing season for the Red and Blue.

Zaide Whitely's kicking should be a HUGE asset to the special teams.........it would be nice to see an opponent CONSISTENTLY begin their possession at the 20 yd line instead of the 45........that would help the defense right there. The percentages favor the defense when the offense has to go 80 yards instead of 50-55.

If Wayne Evans plays, he will start at WR.......also, Duke Edwards should move into a starting slot on D......he has the physicality that we need........Dion McKinley could be playing as well, and if he does, he should be a starter at DE, which he was when he played 2 years ago. I also think L.J.Adams could make some good things happen in the return game.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Dave,
It would be great if they all play, but I was under the impression that Wayne and Dion were concentrating on bball, and Duke, was only a maybe. Sure you have talked to these young men at summer bball, thanks for the heads up.

WR/CB Sr. Wayne Evans- Wayne would return as our number one receiver from last season. He has great hands speed and can take a bowl away from a defender. At CB he would also be the number 1, as he is he plays great coverage and can go up to get a ball even against taller opponents. Wayne also showed himself to be a team player last season moving to QB while Mason and Josh were both injured.
DE/TE Dion McKinley- Big strong and physical, just what you want out of a DE. Dion played the spot as a sophomore and did pretty well, I think he can step in and fill it once again. He also could be helpful on the offensive side as a larger body to throw to then other TEs.
The addition of these guys helps tremendously if they are indeed playing. Dion at DE allows us to move Duke or Ronnie into a tackle position alleviating some of the work load on the 2 sophomores I have penciled in and the rotation of guys starting on the O-line that would also be forced to play one of these spots. Wayne instantly gives Mason another pass threat and spreads out the defense. He deepens a 2ndary that is pretty thin without him.
As for LJ, I think he is on the verge of a breakout year. I look for him to be Mason’s #1 target without Wayne and # 2 with. He has the skills to have a great year on both sides of the ball. I also look for him to make a large contribution this season on the hardwood. Thought he might even be an option to fill the vacancy left by Andrew and run the point.

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

Trojans have a 7 on 7 scrimmage tuesday at the Coliseum!!! not sure on the time though!!

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

jgordon0315 wrote:Trojans have a 7 on 7 scrimmage tuesday at the Coliseum!!! not sure on the time though!!
6 pm i believe not sure don't hold me to it

Go Bucks
Waterboy

Post by Go Bucks »

The Babe wrote:Its sad to see a team with so much talent year in an year out, to not win like they should.....portsmouth usually has more talent than any team in the area but fails to win games
Very well said. Im sure if you would ask around most people who know the game of football would agree with you. Why hasn't something changed over the years?? LoL at this rhetorical question

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

go bucks wrote:
The Babe wrote:Its sad to see a team with so much talent year in an year out, to not win like they should.....portsmouth usually has more talent than any team in the area but fails to win games
Very well said. Im sure if you would ask around most people who know the game of football would agree with you. Why hasn't something changed over the years?? LoL at this rhetorical question
Historically more talent yes, but the last few years this has not been true. Since 03, PHS has been without one of their great backs that Portsmouth football is known for. 04, had some talent as did, 07 both neither year was anywhere as talented as years prior to 03. Both 04, and 07 were playoff teams because of that talent though.
Burg and West have both had more talent than PHS lately, plain and simple. Sure we may send a guy or two to a big school here and there, but I mean across the board, all spots considered.
PHS coaches also have to deal with problems no other local coaches have to deal with. PHS is an incredibly poor district, with multiple housing projects in the district. 52% of students in Portsmouth are on free or reduced lunch, compared to 23% at Burg, 26% at Valley, 26% at Minford and 36% at West. (This info can be found at http://high-schools.com) Having more predominantly poor kids means less parental involvement, less people supporting kids at home, and less kids that have been taught the value of hard work. I’m not saying this is true for all students on reduced and free lunch I realize times are hard everywhere, but you can’t tell me it doesn’t give the other local schools an advantage. School like Burg, who have more affluent parents, are less likely to let their kids slack off, or not give 100 percent.
PHS is also at a decided disadvantage because we don’t get to play in the local good old boy league, i.e. the SOC, Burg and West are the only local schools that regularly play PHS. In 2010 West opponents were an average of division of 4.3 with a win percentage of 41.7. in 2010 PHS opponents division average was 3.0 or 1.3 divisions higher than West, 60.7 or a full 19% better than West opponents. So PHS opponents are larger schools, and win more games.
Burgs opponents are a 4.2 division average, and a 53.2 win percentage. Burg’s is much better, and nothing wrong playing a 4.2 average as a D5 school but PHS still plays up 1.2 average higher and a 7.5 win percentage higher.
Minford plays an average of 4.2, and their opponents have a 53.6 win percentage. 1.2 lower division than PHS and 7.1 win percentage higher.
So let’s see what we have learned PHS has more disadvantages, than any of them, do to socioeconomically factors. They play bigger teams, that win more games, yet people want to complain because they don’t win the games others do. Although they dominate the series with Minford, lead the series with West, and I would assume have fared better against the Burg than any SOC team the It’s comparing apples to oranges.
When PHS has talent we win games, from 97-02 PHS was 50 -9 in the regular season with a 4-2 record against Burg with losses coming in 97 and 98 respectively, 4-0 vs. West, 3-0 vs. Minford, and 5-0 vs. Waverly. No other SOC teams were played.
Point is when the talent is there we are as good as anybody if not better, but when it’s not it is hard to win, especially with the schedule we play. I know Burg and West were both better than us last year, and they proved that, but in all honesty if we played West schedule we would have went 6-4 at worst. That’s in a down year with limited talent, and with losing our Mr. Everything after the 3rd game.
Talent will return and so will more wins, everything goes in cycles, and as good as we were from 97-02 we had to know there were going to have lean years as well. The thing is the last 8 years that have been down years have still produced 2 playoff teams and 3 7 or more win teams.
I personally think the tables are turning and PHS has some talent starting with this season, and more wins will start again.
So from now on don’t just compare the records without taking into consideration all the other factors that goes into it.
Proud to be a Trojans, we will be back.

Archie
Waterboy

Post by Archie »

There has been plenty of talent to come through Portsmouth over the years. It's the coaches job to develop this talent and adapt a system to best develop the talent on hand. Maybe it's time to look at the HC. Change can be a good thing!

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

For Portsmouth to get better, their defense has to get better. They defend the spread well, which actually allows them to do better in most of their conference games. But they really struggle to stop power rushing from Ironton, West, and Burg.

BigSlowWhiteGuy
Riding the Bench

Post by BigSlowWhiteGuy »

I'm looking forward to this year. High expectations are great but there are times when they come back to haunt you. I'm going to measure this years team on improvement through the season. I think the first three games will all be very tough. Hopefully we will learn from them, get better, and not suffer too many injuries and we could improve dramtically the later half of the season. It was sort of what happened in 2009 which is what made last year so disappointing. I think things will improve this season and I hope our fans don't get discouraged while this team grows.

bigcline81
Riding the Bench

Post by bigcline81 »

how did portsmouth do in the 7 on 7?

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

The 7 on 7 had several positives that the Trojans can build on....overall it's hard to gauge how good a team is until the pads are on and you have some adversity, on the field. Mike Tyson said it best, "Everybody's got a gameplan until you get hit in the mouth!" But for a passing scrimmage they fared well. However, they didn't play as well as they did at Valley's 7 on 7 but you can still see the potential. Zaide and Duke out the back field, LJ and Wayne out wide, Porter deep and over the middle, Dion was little banged up but he'll be good to go sooner than later. The defense played better this time around is the best thing I took from watching from the stands. Valley was the best opposition of the 3 teams(Valley, Northwest, and Notre Dame) Highlight of the day was probably Wedebrook's interception against Notre Dame.....He went up and got the ball at the highest point, textbook! Great grab!

Runner00
JV Team

Post by Runner00 »

siderman wrote:For Portsmouth to get better, their defense has to get better. They defend the spread well, which actually allows them to do better in most of their conference games. But they really struggle to stop power rushing from Ironton, West, and Burg.

Pay close attention when a team from around here passes the football. Just doesn't look natural, timing,etc, just isn't smooth. Mostly ugly. I've maybe seen 2 or 3 teams in the past 5 years look polished at throwing the football a few plays, let alone running the spread. One of those teams was the Oak Hill team of last year, one of the best throwing teams I have seen for southern ohio.

Ironmannut07
Varsity

Post by Ironmannut07 »

siderman wrote:For Portsmouth to get better, their defense has to get better. They defend the spread well, which actually allows them to do better in most of their conference games. But they really struggle to stop power rushing from Ironton, West, and Burg.
And jackson

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

Another point of interest from both 7 on 7 scrimmages, at Valley and at the Coliseum, that I noticed......At both scrimmages Zaide lined up at cornerback and Wayne Evans lined up at safety, I thought it would've been opposite but just a little thing I noticed.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

I to would have thought Wayne would be corner and Zaide safety but it could work guess we will just have to wait and see !

Return to “Football”