Week 5: Marietta (2-2) AT Logan (0-4)

loganlocos
SEOP

Re: Week 5: Marietta (2-2) AT Logan (0-4)

Post by loganlocos »

3morethan2 wrote:
moonschein wrote:It time for the head coach to step in and make some change to the defense and maybe the staff.
I agree to an extent their 0-4 they need to change something up what there doing now isn't working. Maybe not the staff but some of the personnel on special teams or try some different players out on defense.
Logan's already played a TON of kids on defense - at least 3 ends, 4 tackles, 2 nose guards, 6 linebackers, and 4 or 5 DBs. And a couple of potential contributors are injured (Travis Davis, LB; Branson Sheets, DB) - those guys are also special teams contributors.

I don't watch film, so I can't tell you what the problem is on special teams. I know we have coaches who know what they are doing.

As for defense, there is definitely a problem with kids taking really bad angles to ball carriers and our linebackers are not filling gaps or getting off blocks. And our guys are NOT tackling well, I see a lot of hits and not enough wrapping. It might explain why some of these guys couldn't see more action on Friday nights last year. I'm sure the coaches would have preferred to play Angle less on defense, but he was too valuable compared to his replacements to take off the field.

The defensive line seems to be doing a good job, especially the interior guys. The ends seem to be forcing guys to the middle, but again I'm not watching film, I'm only going off what I've seen in live plays.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

SSReaper wrote:
dazed&confused wrote: How do you know? Are you a player who thinks this? Do you have some special connection to the team that you can state this with some certainty? Or are you a fan who lives vicariously through them and makes this assertion from the seat of your pants. A seat which may or may not be in the stadium on Friday night?!
As I stated in my prior post I have family ON THE TEAM. As I'm sure you read the entire post you probably "overlooked" that part. I get all my information directly from my family ON THE TEAM and other kids that he knows that are also on the team. So...yes, I have a special connection to the team. Do I live vicariously through the team...No, they are 0-4 and my life still goes on. I was merely making a statement based upon players on the team that I have spoken to and my family who attends the games. As I also stated my father played for logan and has been involved with football since 1975..do the math..so I'm sure that when he observes the kids giving up on pursuits and only attempting to arm tackle..not laying out and diving for a catch, but only catching it if if falls into thier hands..etc etc I'd say he knows, and my family on the field knows, what they are talking about. As I also stated I haven't been to the games this year because I work..meaning I have a life..do YOU? How many games do YOU go to in a season? I have 50 yd line reserved seats and attended EVERY game rain or shine since '96. So let's talk about who is actually more informed here..You or I? And next time reserve your judgments until you fully read a post and think it through. Thx
(Just because someone states an opinion on forum that you don't agree with doesn't mean it's misinformed or wrong)
So fine, you have family on the team. I assume it is a player(s). If so, why aren't they speaking up in the locker room? That is where real leaders take responsibility. Not in griping to someone outside the locker room. I hadn't missed a Logan game the last four years road or home. Before that, I had no real connection to the team. I have season tickets, too, but I haven't been able to travel anywhere for the last two weeks because of surgery. But I digress. I know kids on this team, too and they don't take losing lightly. If there are some others that do not take it seriously, I'd hope that would be addressed internally. Maybe someone on the inside needs to get in the face of those that do not care as you say they do not. I assure you, there were guys who did just that on teams past. Poor technique doesn't mean poor attitude. One can be corrected, the other cannot.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Hate to be the guys on them past teams that didn't care whew!

javagt
Varsity

Post by javagt »

Marietta (2-2) AT Logan (0-4)

Marietta's improvement from a year ago will surprise some people ... No running clock this game....
Logan better plug up the middle ... If they do, they win ....

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

javagt wrote:Marietta (2-2) AT Logan (0-4)

Marietta's improvement from a year ago will surprise some people ... No running clock this game....
Logan better plug up the middle ... If they do, they win ....
I remember last year's Marietta team was decimated by the flu that week, too. I don't think anyone expects this game to ba a cakewalk for Logan. I'm just as sure Logan will be in a bad mood and ready to correct some things. The next streak begins Friday night.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

At this point I'll take a 3-2 win. And that's a baseball score!

The offense made some good steps, Jurgensmier had a poor stretch in the second quarter where he forced some throws, but really did an excellent job in the second half and the receivers and backs stepped up as well. And that's not mention the offensive line who did a nice job in protection and in setting some of the misdirection plays to Cavinee/McCarty/Jurgensmier.

This offense seems to run best when they are balanced and able to use all their runners. Cavinee and Lindsey have each established themselves as solid receiving threats, with Long hopefully making a return I think the receiving corps. will get on the right track.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

3morethan2 wrote:
moonschein wrote:It time for the head coach to step in and make some change to the defense and maybe the staff.
I agree to an extent their 0-4 they need to change something up what there doing now isn't working. Maybe not the staff but some of the personnel on special teams or try some different players out on defense.
As to the staff, look at there areas of responibilty, Remember KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid! As things are going now 2-8 is possible. Also let's start looking into the future! Back in the day we changed in 1971 from the wishbone back to the I get this people the coaching staff did this in only one week after the Hilliard Game!

itown keg 77
Riding the Bench

Post by itown keg 77 »

Don't give up on the team or coach, In Bob Lutz's first year at Ironton, they lost first 2 games and some players and some fans left the team, then the players started to learn his way and everyone knows where the program went from there. Give the coach time to work it out and make it his team.

Football Time!
Waterboy

Post by Football Time! »

LoganLocos wrote:
3morethan2 wrote:
Logan's already played a TON of kids on defense - at least 3 ends, 4 tackles, 2 nose guards, 6 linebackers, and 4 or 5 DBs. And a couple of potential contributors are injured (Travis Davis, LB; Branson Sheets, DB) - those guys are also special teams contributors.

I don't watch film, so I can't tell you what the problem is on special teams. I know we have coaches who know what they are doing.

As for defense, there is definitely a problem with kids taking really bad angles to ball carriers and our linebackers are not filling gaps or getting off blocks. And our guys are NOT tackling well, I see a lot of hits and not enough wrapping. It might explain why some of these guys couldn't see more action on Friday nights last year. I'm sure the coaches would have preferred to play Angle less on defense, but he was too valuable compared to his replacements to take off the field.

The defensive line seems to be doing a good job, especially the interior guys. The ends seem to be forcing guys to the middle, but again I'm not watching film, I'm only going off what I've seen in live plays.
Well I've seen Derek Montgomery having to make 2 tackles this season so something is wrong with the special teams when the kicker is making the tackles for them! :oops:

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

They said losing builds character I disagree winning builds it.
But winning is hard and losing is easy.
After a while losing starts to get contagious and spreads as the season wears on.
That is when the coaching has to step up and install that faith the kids need and these are kids not adults.
Young adults maybe but not adults none the less.
Logan was winning before and they will win again it's just right now these kids are seeing things different then what many hasn't seen in a long time a failing season and that is when the coaches and fans need to give them the support they need.

zbd
Freshman Team

Post by zbd »

I want to pick Logan but the Tigers run game is on point!!! This will come down to the basics who can Tackle and BLOCK!!! Cant wait to see the out come.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

I'm sure a lot of people could save money if they just posted their problems on here and let us "experts" diagnose them. We are now playing the role of sports psychiatrists. I think Logan football has the same problem I do when I swing a golf club. I think too much and it affects my performance (of course, I never could swing a golf club well). Maybe they just need to relax, exhale, and play the game as it comes to them. Like I've said recently, there just isn't a whole lot of quality minutes of expereince on this club. I'd simplify the playbook, stress fundamentals in practice and tell the kids to go out and have fun. It's high school football and no one is on scholarship or under contract. Just play the game and have fun.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

The kids are working hard so I hope the Chieftan faithful are going to support them the rest of the year. A lot of Logan fans have been spoiled by the success they have experienced. A great fanbase can help pick those young men up.......

This is the week for the Chiefs, They are gonna get there first win and everyone will sleep well in Chieftan land Friday night!

Logan_Buckeye
Freshman Team

Post by Logan_Buckeye »

Hey LoganLocos

You have to look into my post to understand....lol... I think that the Logan kids deserve all the support that they can get from the community, and yes, I know the crowd wasn't what they deserve to have at each and every game, win or lose, but like my post and screen name says. I am a die hard NY Buckeye fan the just happens to live very close to the Logan Stadium and love seeing the cars coming in for a totally different reason than the logan faithful. I'm sure a few of the people on this thread will figure it out if they know me. But anywho, I'm not traveling to watch NY this week and may just have a tailgate party for Logan at my house, will be drumming up interest in a day or two... might even come complete with bon fire after the game, WIN OR LOSE!!!!

javagt
Varsity

Post by javagt »

Hope to make it up for this one ..

Does the Brass Ring still do the pre game buffet?

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

the league is not that tough this year and its not the end of the world. i dont think any team will go unbeaten. for someone who hasnt played the game to come on here and blast players for being heartless and no effort is uncalled for. two a days is no walk in the park. playing this violent game we love is a priviledge and a chance to play football on friday is special :idea:

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

91blue14 wrote:the league is not that tough this year and its not the end of the world. i dont think any team will go unbeaten. for someone who hasnt played the game to come on here and blast players for being heartless and no effort is uncalled for. two a days is no walk in the park. playing this violent game we love is a priviledge and a chance to play football on friday is special :idea:
Great post.

playaction
Waterboy

Post by playaction »

91blue14 wrote:the league is not that tough this year and its not the end of the world. i dont think any team will go unbeaten. for someone who hasnt played the game to come on here and blast players for being heartless and no effort is uncalled for. two a days is no walk in the park. playing this violent game we love is a priviledge and a chance to play football on friday is special :idea:
Too many people think it is a right and do not treat it like a priviledge.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

dazed&confused wrote: Maybe they just need to relax, exhale, and play the game as it comes to them. Like I've said recently, there just isn't a whole lot of quality minutes of expereince on this club. I'd simplify the playbook, stress fundamentals in practice and tell the kids to go out and have fun. It's high school football and no one is on scholarship or under contract. Just play the game and have fun.
From The Logan Daily-
It’s back to basics for the Logan Chieftains.
As they prepare to host Marietta for one last time Friday (7:30 p.m. kickoff) in Logan Chieftain Stadium, the Purple & White hope to break into the victory column by keeping things basic and simple.
“Our defense and special teams are a priority and the focal point this week,” said Logan coach Kelly Wolfe. “We know we’re 0-4, and we know we have to look at making some changes so far as what we’re doing and who we’re doing it with. “That, and we have to get back to tackling,” he added. “We’re not taking good pursuit angles and things like that. Tackling is a fundamental thing. You have to be able to tackle, and it’s something we’re not doing a good job of. We’re doing a lot of tackling drills this week.”

“Most of these kids hadn’t been put in that kind of situation,” Wolfe pointed out. “Now that they have a feeling for that energy and intensity, they have to come out with it (Friday against Marietta). You can preach (playing with intensity), but until you experience it, it’s something that’s hard to get across. It’s becoming more and more apparent that we are green in just about every single area. We just don’t have enough game experience.”

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Logan Vs Marietta All-Time Series History (Since 1912)

Total Games: 29
First Game: 1921
Logan Wins: 23
Marietta Wins: 6
Total Score: Logan 805 (28 per game), Marietta 305 (10 per game)
Last Logan Win: 2009, 48-03 at Logan
Last Marietta Win: 2002, 13-0 at Marietta
Current Streak: Logan has won 7 straight meetings

Year By Year Results:
Year ---- Location ---- Winning Team ---- Score
1921 ---- Marietta ---- Marietta --------- 00-10 (Non-League)
1922-1937 NO GAMES
1938 ---- Logan ------ Logan ------------ 13-12 (Non-League)
1939-1949 NO GAMES
1950 ---- Marietta ---- Marietta ---------- 00-07 (Non-League)
1951 ---- Logan ------ Marietta ---------- 07-14 (Non-League)
1952-1984 NO GAMES
1985 ---- Logan ------ Logan ------------ 34-14
1986 ---- Marietta ---- Logan ------------ 35-10
1987 ---- Logan ------ Logan ------------ 41-10
1988 ---- Marietta ---- Logan ----------- 26-21
1989 ---- Logan ------ Logan ----------- 41-00
1990 ---- Marietta ---- Marietta -------- 07-10
1991 ---- Logan ------- Logan ---------- 19-00
1992 ---- Marietta ---- Logan ----------- 20-17
1993 ---- Logan ------ Logan ----------- 33-08
1994 ---- Marietta ---- Logan ----------- 57-21
1995 ---- Logan ------ Logan ----------- 28-00