Week 2 Athens (0-1) @ Coal Grove (1-0)

Who wins?

Total votes: 0

Heavy D
All Conference

Re: Week 2 Athens (0-1) @ Coal Grove (1-0)

Post by Heavy D »

If Athens can get the refs to call like they did in the 3rd quarter last Friday for the whole game this Friday they will have a chance. Otherwise, not so much.

81dendmhs74
JV Team

Post by 81dendmhs74 »

Coal Grove looked pretty good but they played Meigs so hard to tell. Athens may just pull this out. GO TVC.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

GAHS83 wrote:I think people are reading too much into the Athens loss. They have some excellent athletes and I'm confident that they'll show better this week.
I think people are reading too much into the quality of play in SEOAL country. Gallia is going to probably be a lot better than last year, but at the end of the day, they're still mundane and I say that with no hard feeling or anything like that. Gallia is not an Ironton or a Logan or even a Nelsonville-York. Not even close. They play in a weak football conference that will be even weaker than usual this year. A loss to Gallia is not shameful, but at the same time it's not like losing to any of the teams I mentioned above or some of the teams in the SOCII.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

grove rolls in this one!

GAHS83
JV Team

Post by GAHS83 »

fuzzhead wrote:
GAHS83 wrote:I think people are reading too much into the Athens loss. They have some excellent athletes and I'm confident that they'll show better this week.
I think people are reading too much into the quality of play in SEOAL country. Gallia is going to probably be a lot better than last year, but at the end of the day, they're still mundane and I say that with no hard feeling or anything like that. Gallia is not an Ironton or a Logan or even a Nelsonville-York. Not even close. They play in a weak football conference that will be even weaker than usual this year. A loss to Gallia is not shameful, but at the same time it's not like losing to any of the teams I mentioned above or some of the teams in the SOCII.
I never said that GA was Ironton or Logan, though I think they'd beat NY this year. I also think if things fall right, they can compete with Ironton and Logan this year. I'm not an old-time SEOAL guy that thinks they're the dominant conference by default. I just moved to Gallipolis last year. However, I think they'd compete very well on a top to bottom basis with the TVC-Ohio or SOC2. I still think that with the quality of athletes they have, Athens will win 7 games or more this year. I expect this to be a close game, but I'm still predicting an Athens win.

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Post by Daniel Larusso »

fuzzhead wrote:

Yeah I agree that Gallia is not a Logan or Ironton, but Nelsonville? When I think of good consistent programs in southeastern Ohio teams like Logan, Ironton, and Wheelersburg come to mind. Nelsonville is good at what they do which is win the TVC, but let's not get carried away. They haven't won a single playoff game in over a decade.

If the SEOAL is such a weak conference what does that make the OVC? I seem to remember a Coal Grove team ending a series with Gallia a few years ago because they couldn't stay on the field with them.

As for the game it's a no win situation for Athens. If they win they barely get any points. If Coal Grove wins their points go through the roof. In saying that my pick is Athens by 7 in a tightly contested game.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Actually Gallia put an end to that series after they took the series lead.

Baz55
Riding the Bench

Post by Baz55 »

I do remember when galliapolis ended the series. They beat us bad, it was 45-0 at half time. I was a freshman starting both ways... that should tell you something about those teams that galliapolis was beating... they had some great athletes then too.. Ty Simms and Donte(sp?) Johnson come to mind....

tigermack
Freshman Team

Post by tigermack »

Daniel son
You don't have your facts straight. CG didn't drop Gallia. They dropped CG during Miller's reign. Miller and Co. even scheduled us( Ironton). Under Lucas' reign CG was quite competetive with the Blue devils.

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Post by Daniel Larusso »

I do remember Coal Grove having some pretty good teams in the 90's. They had some big wins over Gallipolis in the Lucas era, but the series went back and forth. At the time it ended it was not competitive, and hadn't been for several years. It really doesn't matter who ended it.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

I so wanna say athens and the tvc. But ima say coal grove

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Gallia Academy will give teams a battle this season. That #7 is a ball player and he wrecked havoc on Athens last week...
However, The Athens Passing game should be the focus point of this conversation
Last Week, Coal Grove played a Meigs team that probably passed the ball 5 or 6 times.
This week, they will most likely see an Athens team that will probably pass the ball 15-20 times.

If Athens finds success with the passing game, they should win this game, no contest.

The big thing to look for is if Athens can get Tanner Weaver, Chris Russell and DeVon Sharp going on the ground, something they struggled with last week vs. Gallia.

Athens must balanced their attack, and prevent the 'Big Plays' that killed them last week, and they should find themselves with a 'W' after all is said and done...

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

Tackle the big back from CG! LOL

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Coal Grove could run the table this year.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

I'll say Athens, although they need to stiffen the run defense but won't be facing the overall speed they faced last week or atleticicsm. If they play even close to the way they did in the second half they will win by 10 or more.

As far as the play in the seoal?????? I'll give you that Cg had good teams in the 90's but since then, if the conferecnes were combine (SEOAL/OVC), SEOAL schools would finish 1-5 every year then maybe CG last year, other than that no contest. Last year Chilli would have finished no worse than 2nd in the OVC and they weren't very competitive in the SEOAL. Nelsonville would have to play very well to finish 3rd every year.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

[quote="JChipwood"]I'll say Athens, although they need to stiffen the run defense but won't be facing the overall speed they faced last week or atleticicsm. If they play even close to the way they did in the second half they will win by 10 or more.

As far as the play in the seoal?????? I'll give you that Cg had good teams in the 90's but since then, if the conferecnes were combine (SEOAL/OVC), SEOAL schools would finish 1-5 every year then maybe CG last year, other than that no contest. Last year Chilli would have finished no worse than 2nd in the OVC and they weren't very competitive in the SEOAL. Nelsonville would have to play very well to finish 3rd every year.[/quote]

And we saw how well Athens fared in the SEOAL before they exited.

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

I take Coal grove -14 in this one I think they are focused and Athens losing to galia was a big let down still finding their footing. 35-21 coal grove

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

i'll take Athens and 14

thirtyonetrap
Varsity

Post by thirtyonetrap »

81dendmhs74 wrote:Coal Grove looked pretty good but they played Meigs so hard to tell. Athens may just pull this out. GO TVC.
Now there is a program positive statement from a guy who truly LOVES Meigs.

GAHS83
JV Team

Post by GAHS83 »

I might not have stated it that bluntly, but I agree with the sentiment.

Return to “Football”