IRONTON 42 VS Wheelersburg 13 - 8/26 - FINAL

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Re: IRONTON 42 VS Wheelersburg 13 - 8/26 - FINAL

Post by kantuckyII »

Soho wrote:Ironton are the worst hosts, and it is intentional. It's been that way for years and that's the way they like it at the Tank. It's all part of the aura, and home field advantage. You do however have the choice to not attend a game there if you do not like it, but you should and will learn to expect it.
I don't know anything about these reports other than what I'm reading here but I promise you that Coach Lutz and his staff very much want to be good host and be classy and respectful to visitors.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

kevbk6222 wrote:
Proud_Pirate wrote:First off Congrats to Ironton on the Win. But I have a complaint with the adults running things there. I always respect schools we go to, but after tonight I see Ironton as the worse place to visit!!! They did not show any respect to us at all ! We took my 2 year old granddaughter to use the bathroom... I did not know about the bathroom on visitor side on the end, so I went towards the Tigers side only to be stopped by a man standing by a rope where Ironton band sits. The man said you can not go thru here you have to go around on your side to the other end. Well a 2 year old can not hold it long, so I said are you serious? You have to be kidding me. He said no you can not go to this side Are you people trying to say a little baby is not good enough to use the restrooms on your side. I heard many women talking about being turned away at the rope. Now tell me how that is a right way to treat your visitors?
it is kinda ridiculous to say that the people at the gate refused to let you through because they dont like you granddaughter.
I spent 20 min in line at half time only to find out they did not have any plain hot dogs or cold pop. So i then tried to go over on the ironton and was stopped someone who was sittin on the bleechers with the band and was told i could not go over there. Kinda disrespectful if you ask me. I mean isn't money money.
I spent 20 min in line at half time only to find out they did not have any plain hot dogs or cold pop. So i then tried to go over on the ironton and was stopped someone who was sittin on the bleechers with the band and was told i could not go over there. Kinda disrespectful if you ask me. I mean isn't money money.

Soho
Waterboy

Post by Soho »

kevbk6222 wrote:
Soho wrote:Ironton are the worst hosts, and it is intentional. It's been that way for years and that's the way they like it at the Tank. It's all part of the aura, and home field advantage. You do however have the choice to not attend a game there if you do not like it, but you should and will learn to expect it.
the fact that it is inconvenient to get a hot dog at half time has never impact a game in the history of tanks memorial stadium. if you want to mention something relevant like locker rooms you may have a point, but ironton is FAR from the worst in that aspect as well.

Oh, man, playing there is great, there's hardly a better place. I'm speaking only from a fan's perspective, fans have home field advantage too. For the teams there is of course a home field advantage there also, but for other reasons than being bad hosts. They are fine hosts for the visiting team, or atleast not the worst as you say. Not at all saying that Ironton being bad hosts has any impact on the outcome of the game, and nor am I trying to make an excuse for anything.
It is what it is. Ironton wants to be terrible hosts to visiting fans or surely they would not have been terrible hosts for the 40 years I've been attending games there. That, or the people there are just really mean. But I know better than that.

tk421
Varsity

Post by tk421 »

I know it's not been 40 years that you couldn't go to the other side of the field. When I was in hs not even 10 years ago, we used to walk around the entire stadium all night long

kevbk6222
JV Team

Post by kevbk6222 »

Mad_Dogg wrote:
kevbk6222 wrote:
Proud_Pirate wrote:First off Congrats to Ironton on the Win. But I have a complaint with the adults running things there. I always respect schools we go to, but after tonight I see Ironton as the worse place to visit!!! They did not show any respect to us at all ! We took my 2 year old granddaughter to use the bathroom... I did not know about the bathroom on visitor side on the end, so I went towards the Tigers side only to be stopped by a man standing by a rope where Ironton band sits. The man said you can not go thru here you have to go around on your side to the other end. Well a 2 year old can not hold it long, so I said are you serious? You have to be kidding me. He said no you can not go to this side Are you people trying to say a little baby is not good enough to use the restrooms on your side. I heard many women talking about being turned away at the rope. Now tell me how that is a right way to treat your visitors?
it is kinda ridiculous to say that the people at the gate refused to let you through because they dont like you granddaughter.
from my experience, they have posted people up by the ropes and told them to not let people pass. while you may not agree with the rule and it is unfortunate that the concession stands were not up to par, you shouldnt get angry with the guy by the ropes. he is just do his job. it is pretty disrespectful to ask this person to break the one rule they need to abide by while being there.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Congrats Tigers

tigerfan98
Freshman Team

Post by tigerfan98 »

These games are usually ran by volunteers and every away game feels like people are against you cause of your team but that's more perception than actual feelings. Ironton is packed first game of the year, I really don't think anybody at the rope likes keeping people out. The concession stand under the home side is always good. Go Tigers looks like a promising season ahead

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

Every stadium/gym has its own set of rules about where you can and can't go. I'm sure that schools don't do it with the intention of being rude. Decisions are made that the hosts feel are best to control the crowds in an orderly manner and serve all the fans most effectively. Sure, there will be a few people upset with those decisions. Deal with it and move on.

ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

tk421 wrote:As an Ironton fan, I hate the way the stadium is run as well. I don't have any say in it, though. Hell, over on the home side they put railings up and down the general admission section just to keep us commoners from mixing with the royalty in the season and reserves. You'd think blocking off an exit point would be a fire hazard, especially in a wooden structure but oh well the good old boys like it that way.
The royalty you speak of are people that pay extra to have a reserved seat.Why would you mix with them if you didnt pay extra to sit there.Btw to mix with them only costs an extra dollar.

piratepride05
Freshman Team

Post by piratepride05 »

ItownHosscat wrote:
tk421 wrote:As an Ironton fan, I hate the way the stadium is run as well. I don't have any say in it, though. Hell, over on the home side they put railings up and down the general admission section just to keep us commoners from mixing with the royalty in the season and reserves. You'd think blocking off an exit point would be a fire hazard, especially in a wooden structure but oh well the good old boys like it that way.
The royalty you speak of are people that pay extra to have a reserved seat.Why would you mix with them if you didnt pay extra to sit there.Btw to mix with them only costs an extra dollar.

LOL!

Congrats on the Tigers big win last night. Burg is young and inexperienced and it showed last night. Ironton is headed for another good season and hopefully Burg can turn it around and go 9-1!

PirateFan
Riding the Bench

Post by PirateFan »

I did not know there were restrooms down at the other end and have always gone to the home side to the restroom with no problem until this year. My 2 1/2 yr old is potty trained and had to go to the restroom. A young child like this can only hold it for so long. I tried to take her over to the restroom but the guy would not let me pass. I told him she was about to pee her pants but still would not let me. I had to walk all the way around to the other end praying she didn't pee her pants! As I am standing there he let several people from Ironton through the rope?! If they are trying to control the crowd then shouldn't Ironton people stay on the home side?????? Burg has never stopped people from other school from walking all over the stadium and I don't see it ever happening either. I don't think Proud_Pirate is trying to say they didn't like her granddaughter she was just trying to make a point of how disrespectful they are. Even after explaining the circumstances of the young child having to go potty they still wouldn't let her through!

PirateFan
Riding the Bench

Post by PirateFan »

Congrats to Ironton on the win last night. It was rough watching it. Keep your head high Pirates! Will be there to cheer you on next week! Go Pirates!

Proud_Pirate
Waterboy

Post by Proud_Pirate »

kevbk6222 wrote:
I might have said it in a wrong way, But the point I was trying to get across was not just about a baby but about everyone that was turned away. I have went to games since 1968 (And that is many, many games!) and have never in my life seen a school use a rope and guard to stop visitors from crossing, so funny yet so sad. He was told the baby can not hold it and still no you can not cross the rope. So my point was it was right down rude to stop a person from using the home side restrooms. I thought segregation was over! No matter what excuse you come up with it is not right and I know you will never see that at another school field. And dont say because of the crowd, They let the Ironton people through to walk on visitors side.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

GAME STATS - from the Portsmouth Daily Times
http://www.portsmouth-dailytimes.com/vi ... eft_column
Wheelersburg 0 0 0 13 — 13

Ironton 0 25 2 15 — 42

Second Quarter

I — White 27 run (run failed) 11:54

I — Hager 43 run (pass failed) 5:54

I — White 22 run (run failed) 2:14

I — Hager 1 run (Sisler kick) 0:28

Third Quarter

I — Safety 4:49

Fourth Quarter

I — Tanner Dutey 1 run (Sisler kick) 8:28

W — O’Brien 2 run (E. Miller kick) 5:43

I — Lewis 7 run (J. Schweickart rush) 1:12

W — D. Miller 13 pass from E. Miller (kick blocked) 0:38

W I

First downs 10 23

Rushes-yards 17-48 66-352

Passing yards 91 31

Total yards 139 383

Comp-Att-Int 9-17-1 2-6-0

Fumbles-lost 2-1 3-1

Punts-average 4-33.8 1-38.0

Penalties-yards 4-30 4-60

Individual Leaders

RUSHING — Wheelersburg: Shears 8-8, O’Brien 6-26, Hood 2-0, E. Miller 1-14. Ironton: Hager 20-152, White 8-74, T. Schweickart 8-41, Kratzenberg 5-(-12), Lewis 8-43, Beach 6-17, Dutey 4-2, Thomas 1-5, Wilson 2-18, J. Schweickart 2-4, Bodmer 2-8.

PASSING — Wheelersburg: Shears 7-14-1 67, E. Miller 2-3-0 24. Ironton: Kratzenberg 2-6-0 31.

RECEIVING — Wheelersburg: Hall 1-8, D. Miller 3-26, E. Miller 1-5, D. Arthur 3-38. Ironton: Rawlins 1-5, Lawless 1-16.

MISSED FIELD GOALS: None.

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

while i dont know the specifics of "the rope" rule, i know that side of the stadium is the student section at ironton. you have a ton of students and kids that are maybe a year or removed from high school. every year there are high school kids and older kids that want to come across to the other teams side and wear their school colors and inevitably words are exchanged and trouble begins. by keeping the gate closed on that end i am sure it eliminates a lot of potential trouble and problems and fights in that section of the stadium. i know that on the other side you can freely move from the visiting side to home side. pirate fan, i agree that it would be nice if the individual that was responsible could sympathize with your situation and make a decision that you were simply taking your 2 1/2 year old daughter to the restroom and make and exception. thats probably what should have happend, however i am sure that had they let you thru there would have been 25 people behind you with their own reason as to why they should be allowed thru as well. it kinda unfair to say that the people of ironton are terrible hosts, etc etc. when you dont know their specific reasons as to why this rule was enacted i am sure they can give you numerous reasons and i would bet none of them are designed just because we want to screw over the visiting team and fans because we dont want you mixing with our "royalty"

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

First of all.........Congratulations Tigers on your win! I was sitting on the visitors side as a Pirate fan and I can tell you playing there is not visiting fan friendly. In my opinion it is one of the worst places to play. We could not even hear the Pirate band or the Ironton band from where we were sitting. I encountered several instances where the Pirates were not very welcome and/disrespected.

There was several Ironton fans sitting on the visiting side in the middle of Pirate fans. One guy had a bell that was on a long handle and stood up and rang the bell whenever Ironton scored or made a good play. What do you think would happen to a Pirate fan if they came over to the Tiger side and did the same thing? I was sitting behind some of my family as there was not room in the row they were sitting in. A lady from Ironton had the nerve to ask me to move down so that three of her family members could sit there. I first said no.........they can sit on the other side of me, but to be nice I said that I would move down. As we left the game, there were some Ironton tailgaters wasted and they were throwing around the F word and any other curse word you can think of. I had my two young grandson's with me and there were very young girls in the company of that party. My grandson's said look how stupid they are acting.

The Pirates handled themselves well in defeat! The cheerblock for the Pirates were there to the end. I know some fans from both sides had left before the Burg scores both of there touchdowns. The Pirates will rebound!

Good Luck the rest of the season Tigers! Good Luck to the Pirates!

ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

There is a group of Ironton fans that do set on the visitors side every game.Im not agreeing with that but they do sit there.
Likewise there are lots of Burg fans on the Ironton side when we play there.Burg has very little seating and there are lots of Burgites setting in/on the grass.I know this to be true because I know quite a few of them.There are always going to be bad apples in every bunch.Heres hoping you go 9-1.

philthyphil
Varsity

Post by philthyphil »

a_c_m wrote:First of all.........Congratulations Tigers on your win! I was sitting on the visitors side as a Pirate fan and I can tell you playing there is not visiting fan friendly. In my opinion it is one of the worst places to play. We could not even hear the Pirate band or the Ironton band from where we were sitting. I encountered several instances where the Pirates were not very welcome and/disrespected.

There was several Ironton fans sitting on the visiting side in the middle of Pirate fans. One guy had a bell that was on a long handle and stood up and rang the bell whenever Ironton scored or made a good play. What do you think would happen to a Pirate fan if they came over to the Tiger side and did the same thing? I was sitting behind some of my family as there was not room in the row they were sitting in. A lady from Ironton had the nerve to ask me to move down so that three of her family members could sit there. I first said no.........they can sit on the other side of me, but to be nice I said that I would move down. As we left the game, there were some Ironton tailgaters wasted and they were throwing around the F word and any other curse word you can think of. I had my two young grandson's with me and there were very young girls in the company of that party. My grandson's said look how stupid they are acting.

The Pirates handled themselves well in defeat! The cheerblock for the Pirates were there to the end. I know some fans from both sides had left before the Burg scores both of there touchdowns. The Pirates will rebound!

Kind of hard to hear a band with only 20 or so members.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

a_c_m wrote:First of all.........Congratulations Tigers on your win! I was sitting on the visitors side as a Pirate fan and I can tell you playing there is not visiting fan friendly. In my opinion it is one of the worst places to play. We could not even hear the Pirate band or the Ironton band from where we were sitting. I encountered several instances where the Pirates were not very welcome and/disrespected.

Where have you been I have never went to a Wheelersburg home game that Wheelerburgs fans were not sitting on the vistors side with their rocks in their jugs.

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

Post by Gray Fighting Tiger »

Those jugs are just about the most obnoxious thing I've encountered at a high school football game. And I've been to places like Bellaire.

Return to “Football”