2010 SEOAL Previews: Logan Chieftains

C-Bolt
SEOP

Re: 2010 SEOAL Previews: Logan Chieftains

Post by C-Bolt »

The score wasn't that bad in the varsity game but my guess is Lancaster will probably be a little bit stronger,seems like Logan did wear down, I saw alot of heads dragging and it almost seemed like they give up when Sheridan got deep in Logan territory,never saw holes that big in Logans red zone defense when Amyx was there,but I thought Jurgensmire did pretty good the first couple possessions then started holding the ball a little too long maybe he got tired.As far as kids in the right position I would say put Gaven Jourdan in as backup QB, he looked a little more polished and has a stronger arm than Kelly Long.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

For the record, I think Lancaster would beat Sheridan by 2 or 3 scores.

But that doesn't really mean anything. It was a srimmage. It was obvious Logan was trying a lot of guys out, trying to find depth, etc.

What did I see?

I saw a defense that still needs some work in regards to awareness and playing in space. A big part of that is inexperience and another part is youth. The good news is that both of those things will get better each week.

As for playing in space? That also can get better with experience. Being in position makes tackling in space easier.

As for the offense, I think the line did a pretty nice job in protection and created some holes for the backs. Jurgensmier did a nice job stepping up in the pocket and making throws.

With that said, the receivers have a long way to go. They also struggled in space and had a hard time getting open. Sometimes when they got open, they got the dropsies.

The backs ran well, Graham can have a special season and both Cavinee and Lindsey looked good on the ground as well.

javagt
Varsity

Post by javagt »

It's a scrimmage. The real test is what happens now. Good teams will continue to improve
on a daily basis.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Sheridan is loaded this year and returns alot of players. Has to be the favorite for the MVL title and should make a run in the playoffs. If Logan played with them then it should be a bright season as the Chiefs get better with game experience and repetitions. Most of the teams on Logan's schedule are not of Sheridan quality. A close score with the ones is no problem since it was close.

Lancaster will be a load though.

Johnny Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Johnny Quest »

Logan could easily end up with three league losses.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Johnny Quest wrote:Logan could easily end up with three league losses.
over the next 10 years

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Heard Lancaster completely dominated Brookhaven in their scrimmage yesterday uh oh :122246,,with that being said it should good for Logan to see a team that strong early on along with Pick North and Reynoldsburg when the league rolls around Logan will have seen it all and should be much more confident.Just got to get through them early games somehow and healthy

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

C-Bolt wrote:Heard Lancaster completely dominated Brookhaven in their scrimmage yesterday uh oh :122246,,with that being said it should good for Logan to see a team that strong early on along with Pick North and Reynoldsburg when the league rolls around Logan will have seen it all and should be much more confident.Just got to get through them early games somehow and healthy
Logan has taken the hits early before and won the league

DRIFTER
Freshman Team

Post by DRIFTER »

Every year the Sheridan scrimmage is a good indication of where the Cheiftains are at. I see no way Lancaster is three TD'S better than Sheridan, no way, and may not be better at all. They do have much more depth. Must get more physical and catch the ball. There is no one in league games that will be in Sheridan's class, and the Chieftains will be fine. Get Physical !

mab43bac
Freshman Team

Post by mab43bac »

Does anyone really know how Lancaster looks this year?

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Like to see them beat Lancaster, but I'm already on record predicting an 8-2 year ( losses to Lancaster & North) while rolling to another SEOAL title & the playoffs. The Lancaster game should be close, but I expect the inexperience of Logan to show. Talent is there, its just needs some game time, so the first couple of games will be tough against two solid D-I programs..No one in the SEOAL plays that kind of schedule ( and no one scrimmages teams like Sheridan). Based on a close scrimmage with Sheridan and games with 3 D-I programs early, the SEOAL should be worried & afraid again about Logan.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Lancaster has alot coming back from last year, they were very young a year ago and got better as the year went on,they have their QB Flowers,running back Connor Smith who can flat out fly and another back who looks like Jim Brown just to name a few plus Carpenter thinks his defense is the best he's seen in years,I'd also love to see Logan beat them but I don't think its in the cards this year.If Logan has as many penalties as they did against Sheridan it will get ugly,Logan must play a flawless game to have a shot.... I do believe Logan will have a great shot at winning league this year,like I said in one of my earlier posts might be like that team a few years back that went 0-4 starting out and still won it but I doubt this team has that many losses.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Updated the Preview for the last time.

GoChiefs
Varsity

Post by GoChiefs »

Sounds like we'll be able to listen to the games online after all! Just called the 98.3 radio station. The woman said they have had a lot of demand for it, and the station told her if she could sell so much, that they would do it. She sold 5 packets? So that means 500 users will be able to log in. Some guy from a company in Virginia was supposed to be there this afternoon to hook it all up!

newlex/sheridan
Varsity

Post by newlex/sheridan »

Sheridan played friday evening without its best dlineman, end blake phipps out with a shoulder injury. They also played without likely their best interior linebacker Drew VanWinkle, out with a concussion. He also shars reps at tailback. They also played without starting tight end Zach George who is still sick. Throw in the fact that they were playing kids that wont start or see much action other then mop up duty in regular rotations Friday night and I'd say Sheridan will be pretty good. They ran wherever they wanted, whenever they wanted and didn't show anything. The Ellars kid who ran the ball only started due to the fact that he is a senior (#19) he is the fourth back by midseason more then likely. #25 for logan is lightening fast and made an great play for a pick in the second quarter. #1 is a solid runner and the qb is solid. Outside of a few broken plays for first downs on third and longs during the first drive and the long td run on 4th and short logan really went nowhere. That said, I think the Chiefs will still win their league and give Lancaster a better game then most think. Sheridan is very good this year.

DRIFTER
Freshman Team

Post by DRIFTER »

Sheridan looked pretty good, but doing what they wanted, when they wanted cmon man. Having family from both sides I can get some good honest feedback and every one I talk to has Ellars as the number one back. Also have Busby I beleive he was # 76 as the best lineman? It doesn't matter dude you won the game no doubt, but you didn't do what you wanted, when you wanted. I know these kids and have been watching this scrimmage for years. It is always close and good. You must be very close to someone playing to be marketing them like you do. They will be good and should compete for the league title. The MVL is down, way down, only two solid teams, Sheridan and Tri Valley. You beat a very young Logan team in a SCRIMMAGE, congrats.

I will tell you this and I spoke with many others at the game who feel the same way. You lost alot from last year but your schedule is pathetically weak so you will be ok. But, this Sheridan team is NOT as good as last years, less talent no doubt. You are not close to the 2008, 2004 or 2007 teams as far as talent, depth or expience. Not close in size or speed or overall talent. Just a reality check man, I do hope for a great season for Sheridan and wish you the best.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

I agree drifter,Sheridan looked pretty good Friday but no where near some of their past teams,they are probably better this year than last since they were so young last year,but that team from 2 years ago would have murdered this Sheridan team not even close,now maybe they didn't show much or had alot of injuries but I still think them past teams would have been better,but I still wish Sheridan a good year!

DRIFTER
Freshman Team

Post by DRIFTER »

C- Bolt I hate to fire off like that and have a ton of love and respect for the Sheridan program, but man some get crazy on here. Maybe they should just rent a bill board or something. I do agree with you that the 2008 bunch Culver had at Sheridan that went undefeated would have murdered this team, and proboly beat this years team by 50 points. I did not see the speed, physical play, and overall ball skills in the DB'S or receivers of past Sheridan teams. Didn't have that big fast fullback and the tailbacks were not even close. LB'S were not as close in size, speed, or atletic ability. Their QB play was very good, that starting QB is very good, the best I have seen Sheridan have in a while. With that being said I worry were Logan is at right now. Must get more physical and fast.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Same here I just didn't see the overall speed that 2008 team had,and that team was really big,this year they have 2 big guys and the rest looked kind of smallish to me,The Qb is really good but the one from 2008 was no slouch ,the left hander who could chuck it a mile and that tailback they had god was he tough! Know what you mean about Logan,just the thought of these two scrimmages this year with Circleville and Sheridan and to hear how the Gales are doing in there's scares the crap out of me! But maybe Wolfe can pull a rabbit out of his hat LOL

Return to “Football”