Your school's best two classes head-to-head

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Your school's best two classes head-to-head

Post by noreply66 »

javagt wrote:Did you old Logan guys have a memory lapse? What about the 1977 Logan team?
IMO.. the Scott Gasser and Mark Armstrong combo was the best they may have
ever had along with a team that was very solid at all positions.. I would put them up
against all Logan teams except the 1964 team....

The 77 team was giving coaches a hint what could be done with a wide open offense that the Logan coaches wouldn't go with after the strike.

This would be one team that Ironton wouldn't want to bring up.
The 77 team could play right along with the 2000 and 2009 team. It would have been a game like watching a tennis match. Heads would have been going left and right alnight.
The 1964 team would have punished them and it would have been over in the 4th. 64 just too strong.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

moonschein wrote:
You're Tiger Bait wrote:oh, thanks victor. what year did mann, wva. refuse to play.

I hope this will not bite ironton in the butt this year. Back in 78 the game with ironton would have been a real battle. We did lose some good players from our 77 team, but Bob Boyton then head coach was developing a very strong team when that ulgy strike happened. We loss a season, an outstanding coaching staff and most of all a good chance to beat ironton for the second year in a row!

I've been reading this stuff for years but had to sign up and chime in on this one,,,Moonschein are you kidding me??? I went to the first game that year and If memory serves me right Logan barely struggled to tie New Lex on the hilltop and then went to Hilliard and got hammered 49-0 in one of Logans worst losses ever..as much as I love Logan the strike saved us from getting totally embarrassed by Ironton that year,that team was not very good.I didn't see the 64 Team but did see plenty of the 77 boys and they were one tough bunch and probably the best i've seen up to this day,Gasser was as good or better than Angle IMO,he could run quick and throw on a dime with a perfect spiral every time and they had it all good powerful fast backs to back him up,,the teams I saw thus far i would like to see 2000 against 1977

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Don't know if this guy knew what he was talking about, but I worked with a guy that would have played if there was no strike and he was telling me that they beat the 77 team in practice. His brother, which was on the 77 team, along with his dad was standing there at the time.

I found out more than once while working with him he was full of hot air

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

LOL,,, Logan's first team must have had the day off that day,,the team i saw wouldn't have even been in the same area code with Ironton especially if Lutz thought that team was so good...

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Vinton County... 1993 vs. 2004

The only two teams to make the playoffs in VC history.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Dundas , 93 team by a bunch not even close.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Boiler, I really wish I could have an opinion on that but I was too young to remember much about the 93 team. All I can say about the 04 Vikes were that they underachieved greatly during the regular season and lost to the state runner ups in the 1st round of the playoffs by about 40.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

I'll have to agree with boilermaker. I was only 10 at the time, but I think 1993 VC was definitely their best team. They lost an OT thriller to an Ironton team that went to back-to-back state title games, and (I think) also lost to a loaded NY team during the regular season. 2004 VC was a good football team, but 1993 probably would have had their way with them.

As for Jackson, I'm not sure which team I would want the 1996 team to face. The other Jackson teams of the late 90s were outstanding as well, but included some of the same players. Jackson's 2004 team was very good, but lost a couple games they shouldn't have in the regular season, before shocking Cincinnati Withrow in the playoffs. I'd say 1996 Jackson is certainly on top when it comes to Ironmen football unless one of Gene Slaughter's teams of the 1950s could give them a run.

I think I'd just like to see 1996 Jackson vs. 2000 Logan...that would be the SEOAL game to end all games in my personal opinion.

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

sorry bait, but i dont know the answer to the mann wva. question. if it was before 77or 78 its a little before my time. my personal opinion is the 89 class is one of the best ever, because they went 14-0 and won a state championship. however, i would really have loved to have seen that 78 team and the 81 team in the playoffs.

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

Chesapeake 1999 v Chesapeake 1969??? Sunny Stowers team?

I would really like to see Portsmouth 2000 vs anyone. That team had no business lossing to anyone that year.

The General
All State

Post by The General »

The 1986 GAHS team was the best team I have seen at this school in my lifetime. And it is not even close as far as I am concerned. Some other squads that stick out in my mind are 1970,1974,1985,1993,1999,2002,2003,2005,2006. I have been told from people that know that the 1960 team was awful good and talented. But I cant imagine any team in this schools history matching up or beating the 86 team.Gallipolis is not a football town in any way,shape,or form in ways that are important but have put out some fun and exciting teams here and there before the stuff begins.

Return to “Football”