Week 1 - Jackson @ Wellston

Who wins?

Total votes: 0

The _Big_One
Freshman Team

Re: Wellston vs. Jackson 2010

Post by The _Big_One »

ironman02 wrote:ironmen1987,

I do understand that Wellston was without Prater in the opener last season, and that was a huge loss for them, but they really only put together one sustained drive. Season openers tend to be sloppy, even without turnovers, so that 21-7 win was probably a little ugly, but it's a win nonetheless. Neither team was sharp, but Jackson was good enough defensively to control the game.

There have been a few occasions during the streak that Wellston certainly could have won, but they did turn the ball over or made a crucial mistake late in the game. However, more often than not, Jackson has won in convincing fashion. Here are the scores...

1990 - Jackson 33, Wellston 14
1991 - No Game
1992 - Jackson 26, Wellston 12
1993 - Jackson 26, Wellston 0
1994 - Jackson 31, Wellston 12
1995 - Jackson 56, Wellston 0
1996 - Jackson 50, Wellston 0
1997 - Jackson 49, Wellston 15
1998 - Jackson 28, Wellston 0
1999 - Jackson 20, Wellston 0
2000 - Jackson 29, Wellston 20
2001 - Jackson 44, Wellston 33
2002 - Jackson 28, Wellston 26
2003 - Jackson 27, Wellston 21
2004 - Jackson 55, Wellston 0
2005 - Jackson 14, Wellston 0
2006 - Jackson 28, Wellston 7
2007 - Jackson 56, Wellston 6
2008 - Jackson 41, Wellston 14
2009 - Jackson 21, Wellston 7

Looking at those scores, and thinking back to all the games, I would say that there are only three occasions out of nineteen games where Wellston REALLY had a chance to win in the 4th quarter and let it slip away. There are a few scores in there that are a little closer because of late TDs and such, but 2001, 2002, and 2003 are the years that I'm referring to.

In 2001, Wellston was led by Brad Young and Thomas Mayes. It was an offensive shootout with Young and Jackson's Swisher trading big play after big play. Wellston led 33-32 in the 2nd half, but Jackson scored the go-ahead TD to take a 38-33 lead. Wellston, who had been moving the ball well, turned it over late in the 4th on a botched QB-Center exchange, and Jackson put it away with a late TD.

The 2002 game featured a Jackson team that went 4-6 against an 8-2 Wellston team, but Jackson still got the win at C.H. Jones Field. Wellston had a two-point conversion try to tie the game, but couldn't convert. They got the ball back, but turned it over on downs inside their own 5 late in the game and Jackson took a knee. Mayes, Rex Herrold, and company played well, but they couldn't beat the Ironmen.

2003 is the REALLY close call. What would be a very good Jackson team led by Jared Humphreys didn't play very well that night, and Lance Phillips almost won the game single-handedly in one of the best individual defensive performances I have ever seen at the high school level. Wellston took a 21-19 lead late in the game and forced Jackson into a 4th and inches situation near midfield. A Humphreys sneak got the first down on what was believed by many to be a controversial spot. Humphreys ended up punching one in, and with the two-point conversion, Jackson held on to win 27-21.

Yes, Wellston has had a handful of opportunities to end the streak, especially in 2003, but you also have to give credit to Jackson for making plays down the stretch in some of those games. Wellston may have had turnovers or mistakes in key situations, but Jackson didn't, and they made the plays when the game was on the line. That's what matters most, and that's why Jackson hasn't lost this game since 1989.

I have no idea what will happen this season simply because there is a lot of work to be done between now and late August. Both teams certainly are returning some great players, and it sounds like Hutchinson really has the kids buying into the program at Wellston. We'll see what happens when the time comes.

"A Humphreys sneak got the first down on what was believed by many to be a controversial spot. Humphreys ended up punching one in, and with the two-point conversion, Jackson held on to win 27-21."

Only thing i can remember of this night was one of jacksons finest refs moving the ball forward after welllstons d swamped Humphreys 2 yards short of a 1st down!!!

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

And there off !!!!!!...LOL

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

I knew as soon as I even mentioned 2003 that this would begin. I'm not even getting started on that again.

Brings back memories of the old days on JJPuddle, doesn't it boiler? ;)

The _Big_One
Freshman Team

Post by The _Big_One »

:lol:

Wellston Ironman
Freshman Team

Post by Wellston Ironman »

Forget it! The Blue can't beat the BIG RED MACHINE!

Wellston Ironman
Freshman Team

boilermaker wrote:Wellston's offense will be run out of the swinging gate formation. Alot of trickoration.

It wouldnt matter if WHS was allowed to use 13 players on offense and 2 footballs.....

Jackson 60
Wellston 6

The _Big_One
Freshman Team

Post by The _Big_One »

first lets start off with your name "wellston Ironman" everysingle post you have put on here is bashing wellston. Why would you put wellston in your name if you hates us so much? putting them too names side by side is like wiping before you poop, it dont make sence, now back too the topic im going to pick wellston 21 and jackson 7 :-D

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

"wiping before you poop" lol!

I don't have a dog in the fight but GAHS plays both this year so it will be interesting to see who wins. Regardless of any wins or losses, I am most interested in seeing Prater hopefully eliminate the injury bug this year and get a full season in.

ironmen1987
SE

Post by ironmen1987 »

Guess i'm getting old cause i meant to say ten years. With the teams Jackson put on the field in the 90's Wellston didn't stand much of a chance.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Yes it does 02. I am also going to let that dead horse remain dead.
JChipwood I am with ya, I hope Jalen can stay healthy for the season. Wellston has some pretty good skill players most of which are underclassmen. If the line comes around ,and the team plays solid defense I look to surprise some teams.
Ironmen1987 , You are right about those teams in the 90's . I am curious ? In the 90's where were the Logan posters talking about Jackson's "weak " schedule? I beleive the schedule is the same as then and Jackson pretty much dominated the SEOAL (with the exception of Gallia a couple of times) .They also won in the playoffs too.

ironmen1987
SE

Post by ironmen1987 »

I guess being the "top dog" changes the way you get to talk about people. :lol: Maybe we can schedule Moeller, St Ed, n Desales for our 3 non league games every season. Don't know if it'll help our football program but i bet our soccer and cross country teams will see an increase in participation :lol:

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

LoL 1987.... I say if it aint broke dont try and fix it.

Wellston Ironman
Freshman Team

The _Big_One wrote:first lets start off with your name "wellston Ironman" everysingle post you have put on here is bashing wellston. Why would you put wellston in your name if you hates us so much? putting them too names side by side is like wiping before you poop, it dont make sence, now back too the topic im going to pick wellston 21 and jackson 7 :-D

Here, let me help you. I am from Jackson and I married a wellston girl....felt sorry for her because there were no real men over here. I manage a business in town because no one from here was management quality. Wellston is where I live but my heart is an ironman.
I don't hate Wellston....I am glad they have Jackson on their license plates.

P.S. Keep going to that English tutor. I am sure you will pick up the language eventually.

Jackson 61
Wellston 0

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

Wellston Ironman wrote:
The _Big_One wrote:first lets start off with your name "wellston Ironman" everysingle post you have put on here is bashing wellston. Why would you put wellston in your name if you hates us so much? putting them too names side by side is like wiping before you poop, it dont make sence, now back too the topic im going to pick wellston 21 and jackson 7 :-D

Here, let me help you. I am from Jackson and I married a wellston girl....felt sorry for her because there were no real men over here. I manage a business in town because no one from here was management quality. Wellston is where I live but my heart is an ironman.
I don't hate Wellston....I am glad they have Jackson on their license plates.

P.S. Keep going to that English tutor. I am sure you will pick up the language eventually.

Jackson 61
Wellston 0

Man I was having a bad day, but that right there just got me laughing so hard I hurt my gut. Heck with it, I am taking the rest of the day off now. Thank you WI for making my day. :aaaaa8

JacksonI
Freshman Team

Post by JacksonI »

I received news that Kip Winchester will be Jacksons starting QB this upcoming year

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Wellston Ironman, Jackson is not on my license plates .....I took a pocket knife and cut it off....LOL

MM125
Riding the Bench

Post by MM125 »

Wellston Ironman wrote:
boilermaker wrote:Wellston's offense will be run out of the swinging gate formation. Alot of trickoration.

It wouldnt matter if WHS was allowed to use 13 players on offense and 2 footballs.....

Jackson 60
Wellston 6

Ha wow bragginb about a DII team beating on a DIV team great accomplishment isn't it where is Jackson's football team at now they can't even hang with DII competition, it's shows how weak your schedule is when you go 8-2 and can't make the playoffs

BorntobeLOM
Waterboy

Post by BorntobeLOM »

Jackson is DIII, Wellston is DIV. Jackson went 7-3 last year, beating every team they played that was the same size as them and one team that was a division bigger than them

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

JacksonI wrote:I received news that Kip Winchester will be Jacksons starting QB this upcoming year

Very interesting. I thought that might be a possibility. In my opinion, Kip will do a great job. You have Kip at QB, Ervin and Meredith at RB, and Arthur at FB...that's a stacked backfield.

Rocket50
Freshman Team

Post by Rocket50 »

But is it as stacked as Prater, Osborne, Miller, and Jayjon? IMO I dnt think it is!

Return to “Football”