Waterboy

Logan Chiefs 2010

Post by Football Time! »

Any thoughts or info on them?

Football Time!
Waterboy

Re: Logan Chiefs 2010

Post by Football Time! »

No one has anything about Logan this year? Thats sad!

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

Loss to much talent will be luckly to go 6-4 and 2 or 3rd in the SEOAL

GoChiefs
Varsity

Post by GoChiefs »

It's said every couple of years...Logan has lost too much. And the naysayers are most always proven wrong. I believe Logan will be just fine next year, losing 1 or 2, at the most maybe 3 games, but still having enough to make the playoffs and another league title.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

amyx's loss will be felt the most. i see a 7-3 regular season. playoffs? not sure.

know all
Freshman Team

Post by know all »

i say 4-6 season.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Let's give Kelly a break and not expect to much. I look for a 6-4 or at best 7-3. the QB position is going to be the problem if we continue to run the the same O as last year! Again Give Kelly 2-4 years to establish his ownership of the program!

NathanChandler73
Waterboy

Post by NathanChandler73 »

know all wrote:i say 4-6 season.

i like that....cause thats where we will prove you wrong. every year we lose just about everyone but our upcoming football players have something that will suprise everyone

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

^^^ what he said

southeastbeast#1
Waterboy

Post by southeastbeast#1 »

think about wen conrads left everyone though it was the end of logans football career. And they come bak next year only droppin a couple games.. Patrick was a great qb jurgensmier wont have the athleticism as pat but he will have the heart and lead the chiefs to a league championship once again.. no doubt they may drop a few in regular season but for sure a playoff status team

ChieftainGrad135
Riding the Bench

Post by ChieftainGrad135 »

southeastbeast#1 wrote:think about wen conrads left everyone though it was the end of logans football career. And they come bak next year only droppin a couple games.. Patrick was a great qb jurgensmier wont have the athleticism as pat but he will have the heart and lead the chiefs to a league championship once again.. no doubt they may drop a few in regular season but for sure a playoff status team

The Chiefs DID NOT lose any regular season games the year after the Conrads graduated. They went undefeated (10-0) during the regular season and ended up losing the first playoff game ever hosted at Bill Sauer Field to Brady Quinn and Dublin Coffman 14-20. The following year (2002 season....2 years after the Conrads), they went 6-4 and did not make the playoffs. Yes..........there was big talk leading up to the 2001 season that Logan would be in a sore spot without the Conrads. However, the term was coined at that time "We don't rebuild, we reload" and it held true. Time will tell how Logan does this year. I won't make too many predictions because I am not as familiar with the classes comprising this years team as I am in years past.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

we'll do just fine

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

The group of athletes that will comprise the Chieftains this year are used to the expectation of winning. They have practiced hard and paid the price just like the starters did the last couple of years. The difference is in varsity experience. There will be some drop off. the class that just graduated had a long history of winning football together for MANY years and they got considerable playing time as underclassmen. This year's players, while getting in some PT, did not get the years of field time the previous classes did. How they come together and develop as both a team and players will detetmine what they accopmlish this fall.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Logan should be O.K. The group of kids playing this year will lack varsity experience, but they played well in their limited varsity play. And, at their grade level, they did very well in lower grades vs. pretty good competition. Winning was a habit. There's some skill, some size, some speed and there will be a return to the run game with RBs who can run. The D should be solid, the QB can throw and they got a kicker. All the pieces are there for a solid club. Like I said earlier, the more difficult non-league schedule will prep Logan for the SEOAL and anyone who thinks there will be a big drop off in play is in for a rude awakening. Logan has always shown ,from my first hand experience playing & coaching there, that the players work hard, set goals and play as a team which makes them tough to beat. I think they'll do 7-3 easy and should do 8-2 & the SEOAL title & the playoffs. It should make for an entertaining season and some success.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Despite losing 17 of 22 starters, there is a lot of reason for optimism. Logan will have what every team needs: TALENT. Now, much of it is inexperienced and unproven, but it is still talent. Taking sophomores out of the equation (I haven't seen much of them yet), here is how I see the 2010 Chiefs by position:

OFFENSE - Will be more balanced than last season without a doubt, but there are several talented runners on the roster and an offensive line that will potential be bigger and built to run the football. I expect the spread to stick around.

Quarterback: Jordan Jurgensmier looks to be the heir to Patrick Angle after a couple of years as the JV signal caller in the spread offense. Jurgensmier had limited opportunity to throw the football in varsity games, but did get experience in mop up duty. Jurgensmier has good size and deceptive speed. Decision making will be key for him. Junior Kelly Long will likely be the back-up.

Running Back: Dylan Cavinee averaged over 10 yards per carry last fall in limited touches and has a great mix of speed and toughness. Hasn't gotten the opportunity to show his toughness between the tackles, but if his ball-hawking ability on special teams is an indication, he's not afraid to give a good hit. Cavinee is great in the open field. Brian Cook and Isaac Lindsey could also see time running the football.

Wide Receiver: Brandon Graham is the leading returning receiver after grabbing 6 catches for 81 yards last year. His big frame (6-1, 195) and excellent speed (11.74 in the 100m) could make him one of the league's best. Issac Lindsey could be a big playmaker after catching 4 passes for 121 yards last year. Nate Poling, Long, and Jacob Hood provide depth.

Offensive Line: Tim King is two-year starter at Left Tackle and Tyler Dement returns at guard after starting nearly half the games last season. Replacing 3-year starting center Bobby Russell will be a challenge. Clayton Kiger (6-4, 290), Alex Schneider (5-10, 240), Nathan Chandler (6-2, 220), Coy Blair (6-3, 325), John Teal (6-1, 230), and Garrett Clark (5-8, 200) are all candidates to round out the front 5.

DEFENSE - Perhaps the most interesting thing to watch in 2010, as the departure of Coach Amyx should most be felt on the defensive side of the ball. Coach Walsh takes over what should be a very solid unit.

D-End - Graham, Poling, and Hood are leading contenders for the main pass rushing duties. Graham played here a lot in 2009 while Poling has a great frame and was solid JV contributor at end last fall. Graham may end up at outside linebacker.

D-Tackle - A deep position. Chandler and Dement are returning starters. Blair could be an impact player if he can keep his weight under control. Kiger is another potential big body.

Nose Guard - Chandler and Dement split this position in '09, and look for one or both of them to be here again in '10.

Linebacker - Cavinee saw plenty of action at LB in 2009 and Graham was a de facto starter. Brian Cook could round out the trio after a great couple of years on the JV squad.

Conerbacks - Lindsey and Long look to be the favorites here along with Kermit Berry.

Safety - Jurgensmier is the favorite, but Berry, Lindsey, or Long could play here as well.

The schedule is rough, with an inexperience team playing Lancaster and Pickerington North in the first two weeks, only to get Reynoldsburg and Jackson (at Jackson) to follow. Games with at Zanesville and Portsmouth will also be battles.

This team could be anywhere from 4-6 to 8-2, I think closer to the latter assuming they stay healthy. 8-2 would keep them in the playoff hunt, 7-3 would put them squarely on the bubble or out.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

The Chiefs this year will run out of the spread much more than the past two years. Defense will be the key; the team should be good there and if they can get off the field on third downs and let the offense mature, they will be in the playoff hunt. It's just that every team on their schedule will be trying to exact revenge for the last couple of years. There will be no easy nights.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

I was playing golf in Logan today at the Brass Ring,tough golf course.
I finally got to see the new school and stadium ,very nice . Good luck Chiefs.

Return to “Football”