S

Re: Soccer vs. Football

Post by Boonedawg »

Soccer is the debil!

sittin the pine
Waterboy

Post by sittin the pine »

The question which began this thread asks "which of the two sports is tougher" based on overall skill, dedication, and heart. Two of the three criteria listed are intangibles (heart and dedication). Only the player themself can say how much heart and/or dedication they actually put into the game or practice. The amount heart and dedication a player has will have a direct influence on the games outcome. The third criteria listed is skill. I'll put is this way, would a FB coach put his 300lb player who runs a 6.2 forty, in as a wide receiver (not gonna happen). He just doesn't have the skills to play w/r. However he may possess the skills to be an outstanding lineman. Likewise, a soccer coach is not likely to small and contact avoiding player as goalie. That player may be better suited to play as forward. Both sports are tough, but in their own way. Why not compare NASCAR to Tennis? Its apples and oranges. The biggest difference is football is more widely accepted and generates much more revenue. I have a lot of respect for both.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

HowardCosell wrote:The toughness of the sports is not the issue. Nobody gets excited about a 1-0 game that lasts 3 hours.....one word......

BORING!

TRUE STORY!!!

sittin the pine
Waterboy

Post by sittin the pine »

Howard Cossell was't the brightest bulb in the closest, but I wonder if he enjoyed America's past time sport, Baseball. I doubt it because those 1-0 nine inning games are so boring. Not to mention that the best hitters in baseball who couldn't touch a picther who had is fastball at 95 mph, with a wicked curve ball and a change up the kept every hitter guessing. No Skill Involverd here????

Faclons Forever
Freshman Team

Post by Faclons Forever »

sittin the pine wrote:Howard Cossell was't the brightest bulb in the closest, but I wonder if he enjoyed America's past time sport, Baseball. I doubt it because those 1-0 nine inning games are so boring. Not to mention that the best hitters in baseball who couldn't touch a picther who had is fastball at 95 mph, with a wicked curve ball and a change up the kept every hitter guessing. No Skill Involverd here????

I find that boring... but that's just me :lol:

maintenanceman
Riding the Bench

Post by maintenanceman »

Whatever "genius" complained about a 3 hour soccer game should have his brain checked out. Last time I checked, soccer ran a continuous clock for 45-50 minutes per half in the pros and 40 minutes on the nose for soccer. Add in the less than 15 minute half time and you're look at games that AT MOST run 2 hours on the pro level and 1.5 hours on the high school leve.

I'm a proponent of both sports, but I doubt that football can compete with the physical endurance necessary to play soccer.

Check out this article from the Wall Street Journal:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 61406.html

According to this article, the ball is in play a whopping 11 minutes in a football game. Now, divide that by 2, remove about a minute of special teams time, and an offensive or defensive player is only in the play for 5 minutes a game...talk about watching paint dry. At least the ball is always moving in soccer. In a pro football game, you have to endure 3/4 of the game of players walking around the field just WAITING for the next play to start.

Faclons Forever
Freshman Team

maintenanceman wrote:Whatever "genius" complained about a 3 hour soccer game should have his brain checked out. Last time I checked, soccer ran a continuous clock for 45-50 minutes per half in the pros and 40 minutes on the nose for soccer. Add in the less than 15 minute half time and you're look at games that AT MOST run 2 hours on the pro level and 1.5 hours on the high school leve.

I'm a proponent of both sports, but I doubt that football can compete with the physical endurance necessary to play soccer.

Check out this article from the Wall Street Journal:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 61406.html

According to this article, the ball is in play a whopping 11 minutes in a football game. Now, divide that by 2, remove about a minute of special teams time, and an offensive or defensive player is only in the play for 5 minutes a game...talk about watching paint dry. At least the ball is always moving in soccer. In a pro football game, you have to endure 3/4 of the game of players walking around the field just WAITING for the next play to start.

For me, it's all about the wait. The anticipation of the next play is the best part. Just waiting to see and try to guess what will happen and then see a huge run or pass or a big hit! Somebody throw me a friggin bone! I'm almost drooling here! Is it football season yet????? :122246 :122246 :122246

soccer's cool too i guess... :lol:

lhsfan97
Freshman Team

Post by lhsfan97 »

HowardCosell wrote:The toughness of the sports is not the issue. Nobody gets excited about a 1-0 game that lasts 3 hours.....one word......

BORING!

For starters soccer at the highest level only lasts 90 minutes not 3 hours and I don't know about everyone else but I get excited watching a baseball game that ends with a score of 1-0. But maybe thats because I enjoy watching some good pitching.

Johnny Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Johnny Quest »

Soccer is refered to as ...COMMUNIST KICKBALL ... in football country.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

According to the American Medical Assoication, there are more broken bones and head trauma in soccer than football.

Both sports require different skill sets.

Any good football coach will recruit soccer players to improve their special teams play.

lhsfan97
Freshman Team

Post by lhsfan97 »

Lancaster's head football coach didn't let his son Bobby play football until he was a 7th grader. Before that he was on the swim team and played soccer every spring and fall. His father said doing those two sports would be better for his physical developement than playing youth football.

Soccer must not be to bad.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

lhsfan97 wrote:Lancaster's head football coach didn't let his son Bobby play football until he was a 7th grader. Before that he was on the swim team and played soccer every spring and fall. His father said doing those two sports would be better for his physical developement than playing youth football.

Soccer must not be to bad.

It isn't. Starting to play football in the 7th grade is early enough.

pan-man
Freshman Team

Post by pan-man »

OK, to everyone bad mouthing soccer. Go to youtube and watch hard football hits, then watch hard soccer hits. THEN type in angel of death(warning-not to be watched by young ones). and you'll see the risk everytime the ball is played in the air.

Faclons Forever
Freshman Team

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I did. I don't see what the big deal is. That guy was obviosly putting on a show. I've even had doctors rolling on the floor laughing at it. As for big soccer vs big football hits, there is no comparison. Football is a dangerous collision sport. I'm not saying soccer is wimpy, but football is a whole new level of toughness. Most of the soccer hits were just people smacking each other or pulling hair. The football hits, needless to say, were a little more... explosive.

pan-man
Freshman Team

Post by pan-man »

pan-man
Freshman Team

Post by pan-man »

These are the dangers soccer players face every game

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

If you cant handle football ,thats what soccer is for.

Faclons Forever
Freshman Team

According do the comments, neither of these players died. I can go find videos of football players being killed or paralyzed, there's a lot more of them out there than soccer, but I just don't feel right about it. Instead, you can look at these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFJqDKgUyPs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNwLQMPF ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9dCNKuE ... re=related

(WARNING: Content much more Graphic)

Also, to localize this; if football isn't as physical as soccer, why isn't there a Monroe's Collision of the Soccer game?
:roll:
I'm starting to think this discussion isn't even worth it.

pan-man
Freshman Team

Post by pan-man »

Only 2 people in the world put on pads, and one is a football player.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0eiF8vaylA

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

Hockey players, motocross racers, swat teams and infantry soldiers, bull riders ameture boxers...shall i go on?

Return to “Football”