State of Marietta Football?

The Ultimate Lancer
JV Team

Re: State of Marietta Football?

Post by The Ultimate Lancer »

TigerPaw22 wrote:Meet and greet with Coach Farnsworth on Saturday morning at 10 at MHS.Rumors all over town about new staff. Two names who keep coming up are Springer and EPLEY. Good luck to Coach F and staff.

Oh no! Not another Jerry Springer sighting for a coaching position. We went down that road twice!

cpatiger
Waterboy

Post by cpatiger »

And your thoughts on that ?

edforshey
Varsity

Post by edforshey »

Look for a few other exParkersburg coaches to be on his staff.

Most likely;
Steve Grimm
Mark McCullough-kicking

I really can't see Springer being with Farnsworth

TigerPaw22
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerPaw22 »

cpatiger, sounds like we need Federal Hocking fans to comment on that post. Phillips,Grimm and Mcullough all from Coach Burdette days at PHS.I think you will probably see Springer and Epley coaching the freshmen.Thats my guess.

cpatiger
Waterboy

Post by cpatiger »

And I would be interested in their comments

Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

At least one salesman on the staff. Hmmmmm..... Well that seems to be the direction a lot of schools are going in these days. It seems if you want a big named job you have to have used car salesman experience whether you can coach or not doesn't matter I guess? Oh well, thanks for nothing.

JMTG! :mrgreen:

TigerPaw22
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerPaw22 »

Chief, help me out on the meaning of that post. I am sure lots of Tiger fans would like to know more about the salesman.

warrior2012
Freshman Team

Post by warrior2012 »

techmobowl not the best way to start out this thread.
thats a way to get drama started. warren had a good
season marietta did not get over it, and dont say warren
only got lucky(basically what you said) and marietta only
had one bad football season. you have to think a lot of those players
are coming back next year, the coach dosen't make the team,
the players do.

MattaFan
Waterboy

Post by MattaFan »

Has a staff been named yet? The summer is coming fast and I haven't heard of anyone who is on the staff.

TigerPaw22
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerPaw22 »

It's a secret ! According to Mtta Times their is a football meeting this week. Maybe they will be introducedat this meeting.In an earlier post I predicted Springer, Epley, Phillips,Mccullough,and Grimm. Good luck to the new staff and Coach Farnsworth.

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

Post by Auburntgrfan »

Warren and Marietta started playing in
1984 Warren 15-3
1985 Marietta 21-14
1986 Warren 35-7
1987 Marietta 17-13
1988 Warren 6-0
1989 Marietta 21-17
1990 Marietta 14-6
1991 Marietta 17-6
1992 Warren 21-20
1993 Warren 14-3
1994 Warren 29-7
1995 Warren 43-19
1996 Warren 42-7
1997 Warren 49-0
1998 Warren 27-10
1999 Warren 14-7
2000 Warren 34-0
2001 Warren 21-13
2002 Marietta 56-20
2003 Marietta 44-42
2004 Marietta 35-14
2005 Marietta 35-12
2006 Marietta 21-0
2007 Marietta 40-7
2008 Marietta 26-14
2009 Warren 35-16
Warren leads the all time series 14 wins to Marietta 12 wins
Sounds pretty even to me only two wins seperate the two schools after 26 years. Warren has scored 557, Marietta 451 if my math is close.
Just some tidbits of info. Schenk11 can check my numbers I know he keeps track of this as well.

Buckeye-4-Life
JV Team

Post by Buckeye-4-Life »

It doesnt matter who is coaching, has anyone seen their new league schedule starting in 2011? Holly Crap! I would be begging to stay in the SEOAL. Good luck to the new guy

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Why didn't they play prior to 1984? Was Marietta considered too large to play Warren back then?

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

Marietta was in the COL with school such as Newark, Lancaster, Upper Arlington, Chillicothe, Zanesville, Coschocton, etc. Marietta was much bigger than it is now at before that time.

Auburntgrfan One correction - in 2008 the score was 28-21.

Interesting fact about the all-time series. According to Marietta High School, the all-time series is a close match with Warren having a one game lead 13-12. According to Warren High School, the all-time series is also tied 14-14.

Interestingly, both schools are correct.

How can this be?

Marietta has the series beginning in 1984 with Warren coming away with a 15-3 win. Warren has the series beginning in 1960 with Marietta winning in convincing fashion 44-6, and Marietta again winning the 1961 match up by a much closer 14-6 score. Marietta does not recognize 1960 and 1961 as varsity contests.

Why?

With the inception of the Warrior program in the early 60’s, they played Marietta’s JV team. So for Marietta it was a JV contest, but for Warren it was an official varsity contest. Thus the difference in the all-time series record

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

[quote="schenk11"]Marietta was in the COL with school such as Newark, Lancaster, Upper Arlington, Chillicothe, Zanesville, Coschocton, etc. Marietta was much bigger than it is now at before that time.

Auburntgrfan One correction - in 2008 the score was 28-21.

Interesting fact about the all-time series. According to Marietta High School, the all-time series is a close match with Warren having a one game lead 13-12. According to Warren High School, the all-time series is also tied 14-14.

Interestingly, both schools are correct.

How can this be?

Marietta has the series beginning in 1984 with Warren coming away with a 15-3 win. Warren has the series beginning in 1960 with Marietta winning in convincing fashion 44-6, and Marietta again winning the 1961 match up by a much closer 14-6 score. Marietta does not recognize 1960 and 1961 as varsity contests.

Why?

With the inception of the Warrior program in the early 60’s, they played Marietta’s JV team. So for Marietta it was a JV contest, but for Warren it was an official varsity contest. Thus the difference in the all-time series record[/quote

interesting

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Post by Daniel Larusso »

oby1conoby wrote:It doesnt matter who is coaching, has anyone seen their new league schedule starting in 2011? Holly Crap! I would be begging to stay in the SEOAL. Good luck to the new guy

The ECOL won't be as bad now that Steubenville isn't joining, but it will still be a step above most of the teams in the SEOAL.

cpatiger
Waterboy

Post by cpatiger »

Any reliable news on the assistant coaches or the meeting on this week ?

TigerPaw22
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerPaw22 »

cpatiger, What's up in Tiger town?

cpatiger
Waterboy

Post by cpatiger »

All's quiet on the western side of the Ohio - no news here. Either it's a great secret or there's no takers. :aaaaa1

black_and_orange
Riding the Bench

Post by black_and_orange »

DISCLAIMER: I know what people will say, but I am not a coach, former coach, or ever plan to coach. I played in high school in the 70's, but do have kids in the program and have not ever had a kid in the system, my boy played soccer. I am only a football fan who is observant and goes to all the home games and watches not only the games, but the people around the program. Here are my thoughts and observations...

The title of the topic is the "State of Marietta Football". I think the lack of activity on this thread sums it up. In four months, you only have 98 posts. That means less than one post a day. In a time with a new coach coming, the level of excitement should be up and people should be re-energized. For my entire life of Marietta Football (over 40 years), the town of Marietta has never backed the Tigers, except when they win, which isn't very often. They do not attend games, they do not support positively in the community, go to the Town House and you will hear the Tigers getting bashed during football season. Talk to past football players, all they want to talk about is the current Tigers are not as good as they were to make them selves feel better. The kids do not go to the weight and work hard (according to kids and coaches I have talked to), they expect things to be handed to them, they do think they should have to earn anything. The parents only care about their own child, not the team. I have sat in the stands at home games for 30 years and listen to the parents talk about how their kids should be getting the carries, catches, or whatever, and pointing out mistakes made by other players to hide their own kids mistakes. After games you hear parents blaming the coaches and ignoring that their kids gave it half effort or missed 12 tackles during the game. You see kids seperate themsleves from the team on the sidelines, or come to the fence during the game to talk to mom and dad or friends.

But read the blog on the Marietta Times webpage, it fits the culture of Marietta.

And that in a nut shell is the STATE OF MARIETTA FOOTBALL.

Return to “Football”