Wellston Job

Dundas
SEOPS

Re: Wellston Job

Post by Dundas »

Alex may not have won the league...but they DID beat Nelsonville York and they DID make the playoffs....just sayn!

Rocket50
Freshman Team

Post by Rocket50 »

Enough about this all, they hired the coach. Some people like him and wanted him some didn't! Lets just get the season started!

Wellston Ironman
Freshman Team

Post by Wellston Ironman »

Keyser_soze78 wrote:For Thursday's Times-Journal.

Enjoy

‘Hutch’ hired as new Wellston football coach

By PAUL BOGGS

Sports Editor

WELLSTON — Chris Hutchinson has always bled Blue and Gold.

Now, he’ll have the chance to lead the Golden Rocket colors on the gridiron.

That’s because the Wellston City Schools Board of Education hired the 28-year-old Hutchinson as the new Wellston High School head football coach on Wednesday night, approving the former Golden Rocket running back in a unanimous vote.

His hiring was the only item on the agenda at a special Board meeting, which lasted a mere three minutes.

Hutchinson starred at Wellston in the late 1990s, and has served as an assistant with the last two Rocket staffs of Heath Hinton and Jason Mantell.

“Hutch” — as he is casually referred to — succeeds Mantell, who resigned on Jan. 12.

He said he is “excited” about taking over as head coach, and deemed his hiring “really a dream come true.”

“It’s very special because it’s my home. It’s where I want to be and I don’t plan on going anywhere,” said Hutchinson in an interview following his hiring.

Hutchinson was expected to meet with his team today, and emphasized that “I am ready to get to work because we have a lot of work to do.”

“We have a lot of great kids here. I’ve been around them, we just need to get more of them (out playing). We just need to get to work and get things going,” he said.

Hutchinson’s hiring is somewhat late in the typical time frame for naming new football coaches.

“I think we were a little longer later on than what we wanted to be with this hire,” said Wellston BOE President Terry Gill.

However, having served as a varsity assistant for four years, he is familiar with his team and its offseason activities, which includes the winter weightlifting program.

Hutchinson is highly-regarded for his work ethic, which he developed as a player under then-Wellston head coach Larry Blackstone.

Blackstone believed heavily in weightlifting and offseason work, and Hutchinson said he is “big on the weight room.”

“We need to stay in the weight room and keep hitting the weight room,” he said. “I’ve been in there and feel like I have a good rapport with the kids.”

Hutchinson played from 1996 thru 1999, captured all-Tri-Valley Conference Ohio Division and all-Southeast District honors, and rushed for over 3,000 yards in his decorated four-year Rocket career.

He played at Ohio University as well, before transferring to Morehead State, where he stood out at safety.

He returned to Wellston when Hinton was head coach, and served on Mantell’s staff for two years.

Hutchinson hesitated none when asked about the improvements the program must make in order to be successful.

Increased numbers is issue number one.

“The first thing we have to do is get more kids out,” he said. “We’ve had 35 or 40 kids the last few years. When I graduated here in 2000, we had 55 to 60 kids. We have to go recruit inside the school, and get kids out that need to be playing. I’d like to get 50 kids out this year.”

Indeed, numbers have dipped and leveled out at Wellston, as have victories.

After a winless season in 1995, the Rockets did not suffer another losing campaign until a winless on-the-field fall in 2007.

Sandwiched in between were the school’s two TVC-Ohio titles in 2001 and 2002, and two state playoff berths in 2004 and 2006.

While Wellston went 4-6 in 2008, it slipped to a disappointing 3-7 last year.

Hutchinson hopes to restore the Rockets as a regular challenger for the TVC-Ohio championship and playoff berths.

Wellston was a winner of games when it successfully ran the football, which is what Hutchinson has planned.

He has played in multiple offensive systems, including Blackstone’s wing-T and the former Ohio University option under then-head coach JimGrobe.

“We’re going to run the ball,” he said. “It’s going to be some wing-T, some I-formation, we’re also going to run some spread and single-wing type stuff. We’re going to bring some of the option game fromOU too, and run the quarterback a little bit.”

Hutchinson has assembled — and continues to do so — his staff, which will include Morgan Stevens, Travis Bethel, Scott Cooper and possibly Lance Phillips.

Phillips is the former Wellston star linebacker, who was a two-time Associated Press all-Southeast District Division IV Defensive Player of the Year.

Bethel is expected to help Hutchinson with the defense, which will feature fronts of “a 50 and 40” base.

“Travis (Bethel) is well-versed in the 40, and I like the slant-and-angle 50,” said Hutchinson. “And playing safety in the 4-3 (defense) atMorehead, that helped me a lot with coverage schemes.”

He coached the defensive backs and running backs under Hinton and Mantell.

But now, he leads all aspects of the Blue and Gold.

“I’m planning on building this program and leading this program, and hopefully, be very successful,” said Hutchinson.

Hutchinson was hired, according to Gill, from “a large pool of applicants and a lot of good candidates.”

Gill said a committee of eight individuals assisted in the process, including community members and former football players at Wellston.

One of the applicants was Oak Hill head coach Greg Phillips, who is from Wellston and coached there as an assistant in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Phillips ultimately turned the position down.

Another leading candidate was former Vinton County coach Matt Queen.

Hutchinson will be the eighth Wellston head coach in 20 seasons this fall.

sports@timesjournal.com

WELCOME TO WELLSTON! Thanks for continuing the legacy of supplying the Ironmen with another season opening win. See you at our restaurant. keep stopping by so we can afford to buy an ad in JHS football program. Wellston money is always welcome in Jackson.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

If some one has something bad to say about hutch why not walk up and tell him he sucks? Quit typing it. the man just got his dream job working where he played and the place he loves let it be..

BytheNumbers
Waterboy

Post by BytheNumbers »

wellstonrockets wrote:If some one has something bad to say about hutch why not walk up and tell him he sucks? Quit typing it. the man just got his dream job working where he played and the place he loves let it be..

That would shut this forum down. If everyone went to the people's faces who they are talking about, no one would need to be on here. If that's how it was, everyone would put their real name on here. Show some love for the forum Wellstonrockets! :lol:

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

Bringdanoise....No my feelings aren't hurt, yes I am a big boy, and even though you "never said I was lying", it was implied I believe.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Dundas wrote:Alex may not have won the league...but they DID beat Nelsonville York and they DID make the playoffs....just sayn!

Yep! They streak starts over!

bigmama42
Riding the Bench

Post by bigmama42 »

sorry boiler just got home from long wk on the road,no i dont have a thing for you,your from wellston.could'nt get along because i like real men.i wish your new coach and the team the best.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

LOL@bigmomma

1974Viking
Varsity

Post by 1974Viking »

I wish Wellston's new Coach congrats for getting the job. Also good luck in the upcoming season. It would be great to see Wellston get on track again and continued success, except against the Vikings, Hope for a good game, but am Pulling for my Vikings. It is always great to see all Football programs do well in Southern Ohio. I know all Southeastern and Southern Ohio Schools and communities are huge football fans. To a lot of people to play other sports to stay in shape for football. Vinton Co and Wellston have new Coaches. The time is right for these two programs to get back on track and be very good football schools again. In these times of uncertainty, it is awesome to see local communities get behind and support their local teams. High School Football, to a lot of people here in our area, provides a little escape time from the rest of life's worries. I do not know your new coach in Wellston, do not even know him. I know this is his first head coaching job, but don't you think it is unfair to pass judgment on the young man before his team has taken the first snap of the 2010 season? We all had to start somewhere in any job we ever had, and he is no different. One never knows, maybe you have hired an awesome coach. Only time will tell. Again Good Luck to your new Coach and to the Vikings Coach Burleson. That is just my opinion and not trying to argue with anyone. But we all need to stop arguing and support your Coaches and Teams. Good luck boilermaker will talk over a hot chocolate this fall. :-D :-D 74 Viking

1974Viking
Varsity

Post by 1974Viking »

[quote="Keyser_soze78"]For Thursday's Times-Journal.

Enjoy

‘Hutch’ hired as new Wellston football coach

By PAUL BOGGS

Sports Editor

WELLSTON — Chris Hutchinson has always bled Blue and Gold.

Now, he’ll have the chance to lead the Golden Rocket colors on the gridiron.

That’s because the Wellston City Schools Board of Education hired the 28-year-old Hutchinson as the new Wellston High School head football coach on Wednesday night, approving the former Golden Rocket running back in a unanimous vote.

His hiring was the only item on the agenda at a special Board meeting, which lasted a mere three minutes.

Hutchinson starred at Wellston in the late 1990s, and has served as an assistant with the last two Rocket staffs of Heath Hinton and Jason Mantell.

“Hutch” — as he is casually referred to — succeeds Mantell, who resigned on Jan. 12.

He said he is “excited” about taking over as head coach, and deemed his hiring “really a dream come true.”

“It’s very special because it’s my home. It’s where I want to be and I don’t plan on going anywhere,” said Hutchinson in an interview following his hiring.

Hutchinson was expected to meet with his team today, and emphasized that “I am ready to get to work because we have a lot of work to do.”

“We have a lot of great kids here. I’ve been around them, we just need to get more of them (out playing). We just need to get to work and get things going,” he said.

Hutchinson’s hiring is somewhat late in the typical time frame for naming new football coaches.

“I think we were a little longer later on than what we wanted to be with this hire,” said Wellston BOE President Terry Gill.

However, having served as a varsity assistant for four years, he is familiar with his team and its offseason activities, which includes the winter weightlifting program.

Hutchinson is highly-regarded for his work ethic, which he developed as a player under then-Wellston head coach Larry Blackstone.

Blackstone believed heavily in weightlifting and offseason work, and Hutchinson said he is “big on the weight room.”

“We need to stay in the weight room and keep hitting the weight room,” he said. “I’ve been in there and feel like I have a good rapport with the kids.”

Hutchinson played from 1996 thru 1999, captured all-Tri-Valley Conference Ohio Division and all-Southeast District honors, and rushed for over 3,000 yards in his decorated four-year Rocket career.

He played at Ohio University as well, before transferring to Morehead State, where he stood out at safety.

He returned to Wellston when Hinton was head coach, and served on Mantell’s staff for two years.

Hutchinson hesitated none when asked about the improvements the program must make in order to be successful.

Increased numbers is issue number one.

“The first thing we have to do is get more kids out,” he said. “We’ve had 35 or 40 kids the last few years. When I graduated here in 2000, we had 55 to 60 kids. We have to go recruit inside the school, and get kids out that need to be playing. I’d like to get 50 kids out this year.”

Indeed, numbers have dipped and leveled out at Wellston, as have victories.

After a winless season in 1995, the Rockets did not suffer another losing campaign until a winless on-the-field fall in 2007.

Sandwiched in between were the school’s two TVC-Ohio titles in 2001 and 2002, and two state playoff berths in 2004 and 2006.

While Wellston went 4-6 in 2008, it slipped to a disappointing 3-7 last year.

Hutchinson hopes to restore the Rockets as a regular challenger for the TVC-Ohio championship and playoff berths.

Wellston was a winner of games when it successfully ran the football, which is what Hutchinson has planned.

He has played in multiple offensive systems, including Blackstone’s wing-T and the former Ohio University option under then-head coach JimGrobe.

“We’re going to run the ball,” he said. “It’s going to be some wing-T, some I-formation, we’re also going to run some spread and single-wing type stuff. We’re going to bring some of the option game fromOU too, and run the quarterback a little bit.”

Hutchinson has assembled — and continues to do so — his staff, which will include Morgan Stevens, Travis Bethel, Scott Cooper and possibly Lance Phillips.

Phillips is the former Wellston star linebacker, who was a two-time Associated Press all-Southeast District Division IV Defensive Player of the Year.

Bethel is expected to help Hutchinson with the defense, which will feature fronts of “a 50 and 40” base.

“Travis (Bethel) is well-versed in the 40, and I like the slant-and-angle 50,” said Hutchinson. “And playing safety in the 4-3 (defense) atMorehead, that helped me a lot with coverage schemes.”

He coached the defensive backs and running backs under Hinton and Mantell.

But now, he leads all aspects of the Blue and Gold.

“I’m planning on building this program and leading this program, and hopefully, be very successful,” said Hutchinson.

Hutchinson was hired, according to Gill, from “a large pool of applicants and a lot of good candidates.”

Gill said a committee of eight individuals assisted in the process, including community members and former football players at Wellston.

One of the applicants was Oak Hill head coach Greg Phillips, who is from Wellston and coached there as an assistant in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Phillips ultimately turned the position down.

Another leading candidate was former Vinton County coach Matt Queen.

Hutchinson will be the eighth Wellston head coach in 20 seasons this fall.

sports@timesjournal.com[/quote

Keyser_soze78. A Well written article as always my friend. Looks like a new day in Wellston sports. It is nice to have a reporter that follows all the area teams like you do. It has to take a lot of time. Thanks for your work. 74 Viking :) :)

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Look forward to it 74Viking.

Rocket50
Freshman Team

Post by Rocket50 »

So do we know who exactly on the coaching staff? Coach Cooper, Coach Stevens, Coach Hutch but who else?

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

1974Viking......Thank you again for the kind words my friend.

I try my best.

May you and yours enjoy a Happy Easter.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Rocket50 that is Top secret!
I have heard several names ,but I wont post them until Coach Hutch confirms these names..

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

Larry Blackstone? Maybe?

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

No

BytheNumbers
Waterboy

Post by BytheNumbers »

Dave Lucas, Romeo Crennel, Paul Boggs, Ron Jeremy, Heath Hinton? Those would all be good choices.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

I know in 1 of keyser's paper reports he said something sbout lance phillips. And maybe Hutch should go get that pee wee coach phillips on this staff also would be a big help..

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Bythenumbers , No,No,No,No and No.

Return to “Football”