Wellston Job

boilermaker
SE

Re: Wellston Job

Post by boilermaker »

The longer this goes the more it looks like Phillips may not want the job. If he isnt announced thursday Id say it will be Matt Queen .
I say hire them both....Phillips head coach and D- cord,Queen O-corrd. Queen could run the wishbone this year with Wellston. Prater @ Qb Osborne ,Jayjohn backs and Miller the fullback. Just a thought. :mrgreen:

Old*rocket
JV Team

Post by Old*rocket »

Well here is the latest,Phillips is wanting a six year deal.wellston is wanting to do year by year contract i am think that is what the hold up is. if wellston lets this coach slip by its THERE LOSS !!!!!!!!!!!

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

I can confirm an interesting development in the Wellston football coaching job search.

But, I will not post it on here.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

I cant imagine Wellston messing this up! :?

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

boilermaker.....You have a PM.

jacksonoaks
Freshman Team

Post by jacksonoaks »

I heard today that Greg will not accept the job

goldenboy
Freshman Team

Post by goldenboy »

Was just told that Phillips turn the job down because he wants a longterm deal! If this is true looks like wellston did as they usually do and messed it up! When will they learn!

bigmama42
Riding the Bench

Post by bigmama42 »

thats right jacksonoaks he didnt accept. i am totally amazed.I was told it was a done deal by a pretty reliable source,or at least i thought so. something must have happened for as bad as wellston wanted him.still cant believe it.hey boiler where you at.whats the word from your source.greg must not have wanted job as much as some of you thought,including me.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

maybe wellston should just do away with football they always screw up and hurt the team and kids

forthekids
Waterboy

Post by forthekids »

Better call the Coach from Adena, he may be the only one to take this job. Coach Phillips asking for a six year coaching contract? WOW, if he is that good why not earn it like others do? Let the search begin again.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

forthekids.....Phillips was not asking for a "six-year contract." Period.

I have that from an extremely reliable source.

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

then what was he asking for keyser?

Da Bears
Freshman Team

Post by Da Bears »

I have just a little bit of info to share. Phillips DID NOT ask for a 6 year contract. He wanted to be paid for his years of teaching and the board only offered 10. I'm guessing he must have more than that. I guess the admin was also being wishy washy on the weightlifting class he wanted for the football players. All I can say is wow! Somebody dropped the ball.

forthekids
Waterboy

Post by forthekids »

He new that going in to it that almost all school districts only give you 10 years, that is the problem with others as well who have more than 10 years. They better find a young coach that can take the little money versus someone with several years.

BytheNumbers
Waterboy

Post by BytheNumbers »

WOW! What a debacle. Who are they scrambling to get now? Maybe they can hire that fabulous pee-wee coach that people are so impressed with.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Bythenumbers That peewee coach is a friend of mine ,and I doubt you would smart off to his face .He also happens to be a good coach and knows the game,what he doesnt have is a teaching degree.
I think the Rockets might be better off with out Phillips ,just because I said thats who they would hire doesnt mean I thought he was the best for the job.He told his players from Oak Hill yesterday that he was staying . I wish him and the Oaks good luck. If what I was told is true ,he didnt want the job as bad as the school board thought he did.I will not comment on what the reason is he turned it down due to the fact I wouldnt discuss it on this or any other forum my source ask me not to . I respect my source enough to oblige him.
It is now time to focus on the task at hand. I hope they try and hire Matt Queen ,I think he would do a good job . He did a good job at Vinton County in the 90's. I like his style some wont though . Line it up and run the ball!Play solid defense and wear the other team out.At this point I have no idea what the or whom the board is looking at .

Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

Poor decision by the Wellston School Board. It kind of shows their committment to the future of Wellston Football. Will this cause people to evaluate who they will be playing for this coming season? :122246

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

I guess it's a good thing Wellston actually went through the entire interviewing process. I'm sure they will find a good coach in the near future, and I'm sure that Greg Phillips will continue to be successful at Oak Hill. He's a great football coach.

BytheNumbers
Waterboy

Post by BytheNumbers »

Boilermaker. . . I don't even know the pee-wee coach. I just found it amusing that people were recomending that they hire a pee-wee coach. So, did your friend apply? I heard that he used to apply every time the job came open and never got a sniff. There must be an issue there.

On a more serious note. . . They need to hire someone soon because they are really cheating the players. April is moving in and these kids have had no leadership since what, November or December?

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

I think he applied one time,and I for one think he would be good . Like I stated he doesnt have a degree to teach so that is against him. I hope they move fast ,but who knows?

Return to “Football”