Belpre Coach

otterslide
JV Team

Re: Belpre Coach

Post by otterslide »

I wanna say a few things then I hope everyone accepts coach Shrivers decision as a coach, teacher, friend, husband, and a SUPER Father to his two kids. Now as one of his good friends I will say eventhough he is one of my great friends I don't always have to agree with how he coachs or anything else in life. That is simply a difference of opinion and that comes with being a leader. Not all coaches have the same philosophy but have to come to agreements to make the ship sail. However, these different opinions would never affect our friendship.
I have known Coach Shriver my entire life, from gradeschool until now. Curt let me live one of my dreams along his side. We had a super year then a not so super year. However, I got to do something alot of us as alumi of our schools would want to do. He gave me that chance. Curt would do anything for anybody. I played along side this guy as a linebacker from 7th grade until our final snap as a senior. Even through High School this guy was all about football. He ate football and was superior student while in high school and was one of those people that was looked up too in High School being a great athelete and 3.5 student. Curt literally ate what he needed for football, led the weight room back in the day, and led in the class room.
Curt was raised my a mother and father that was always supportive of what he did in life and was there for him in whatever he wanted to succed in. You now can see that in his life as he is a husband and father of two wonderful kids. Curt has a special bond with kids at the high school and is willing to help them out the best he can. I have seen him stay hours after school to help kids while missing his time with his children. Curt was always at other sporting event and activities. He would sit for hours at a youth wrestling tournament to do clocks just to help out the youth wrestling team and high school team.
Curt went through a lot of the parents and town's " What have you done for me lately" emotions and was on the bad end of the stick. I believe Curt wanted what was best for the school and his family and decided it was time to move on. What everyone needs to remember is he was devoted to Belpre High School but unfortunatly not all the kids, parents, and town was as devoted to those goals he had.
Curt is a very giving person and wants the best for everyone. Curt is my friend and teammate and nothing will ever change that. Good Luck to you my friend, buddy and fellow linebacker in all you do. Always remember family first!

MariettaPride21
S

Post by MariettaPride21 »

I have known curt for a long time also-

playing all-star baseball against him when we were 11 and 12 years old
and coaching track against each other for a long time

curt shriver is one of the better "people" we have around in the mid ohio valley

otterslide
JV Team

Post by otterslide »

Eaglepapaw wrote:
otterslide wrote:The school didn't make this move. Coach Shriver made the decision.

I heard the same thing Slide,I also heard he was talking to people at Warren(rumor).Any idea who may be applying for Belpre coaching job? Only ones I heard of is Jeff and Greg Adams might be interested.How about you Slide,you have coaching experience?

I don't know anything about the Warren (rumor) honestly. I have heard of some of the same applicants as you. As for me coaching yes I have experience but unfortunatly I don't feel I can devote the time necessary as a head coach at this point of time in my life. Would I love to do it YES! Heck my old school. Who wouldn't wanna do it for their old High School. Additionally, with me having a kid in the program I don't think it would be fair or looked upon well from the public for me to coach. The NEW senior class and junior class I have been very close to and they know me very well and know how I am so yes that would be a huge positive. It is wishful thinking. I don't think Belpre is ready for my military style dicipline and hard work....remember a few years back some kids didn't like it and ran me up the flag pole...lol.
However, at this point in my life my kids come first and they are into everything as far as sports. So it wouldn't be fair if I couldn't devote hours upon hours into the program as needed.
I tell you what though if one of the coaches from Hillard Darby was to move back into the area you would have a gem.

otterslide
JV Team

Post by otterslide »

MariettaPride21 wrote:I have known curt for a long time also-

playing all-star baseball against him when we were 11 and 12 years old
and coaching track against each other for a long time

curt shriver is one of the better "people" we have around in the mid ohio valley

I must know you....lol

screamineagle54
Waterboy

Post by screamineagle54 »

otterslide wrote:I wanna say a few things then I hope everyone accepts coach Shrivers decision as a coach, teacher, friend, husband, and a SUPER Father to his two kids. Now as one of his good friends I will say eventhough he is one of my great friends I don't always have to agree with how he coachs or anything else in life. That is simply a difference of opinion and that comes with being a leader. Not all coaches have the same philosophy but have to come to agreements to make the ship sail. However, these different opinions would never affect our friendship.
I have known Coach Shriver my entire life, from gradeschool until now. Curt let me live one of my dreams along his side. We had a super year then a not so super year. However, I got to do something alot of us as alumi of our schools would want to do. He gave me that chance. Curt would do anything for anybody. I played along side this guy as a linebacker from 7th grade until our final snap as a senior. Even through High School this guy was all about football. He ate football and was superior student while in high school and was one of those people that was looked up too in High School being a great athelete and 3.5 student. Curt literally ate what he needed for football, led the weight room back in the day, and led in the class room.
Curt was raised my a mother and father that was always supportive of what he did in life and was there for him in whatever he wanted to succed in. You now can see that in his life as he is a husband and father of two wonderful kids. Curt has a special bond with kids at the high school and is willing to help them out the best he can. I have seen him stay hours after school to help kids while missing his time with his children. Curt was always at other sporting event and activities. He would sit for hours at a youth wrestling tournament to do clocks just to help out the youth wrestling team and high school team.
Curt went through a lot of the parents and town's " What have you done for me lately" emotions and was on the bad end of the stick. I believe Curt wanted what was best for the school and his family and decided it was time to move on. What everyone needs to remember is he was devoted to Belpre High School but unfortunatly not all the kids, parents, and town was as devoted to those goals he had.
Curt is a very giving person and wants the best for everyone. Curt is my friend and teammate and nothing will ever change that. Good Luck to you my friend, buddy and fellow linebacker in all you do. Always remember family first!

I agree with you slide all the way. This is why its so hard to be a successful coach in Belpre. People in this town think we are some division 1 school that shouldn't lose at all and they are so caught up in the past. Those days are gone. This isn't the 60's 70's or 80's anymore. I'm speaking for all sports and all coaches. Another reason is most athletes at belpre think they should be given a spot and not earn it. So they think they don't have to show up to the weightroom or their other team activities and when these athletes get ripped or taken out they quit or they tuck their tail, then mom or dad gets involved and causees more kaos to the already stressful coaching job. All I am trying to say is if people would leave the coach alone and let him/her coach you might see better results, but everyone in Belpre has their own input on everything. I admit I have done this. I think Curt did the best he could with the what he had and thats all anybody can ask him to do. I know people think he should yell and scream at these kids, but they don't respond to it because thats all they have heard their entire life playing sports.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I think Belpre football will really miss him. I think he was the guy to take Belpre into the next chapter of there football history entering the TVC-Hocking. I would like to wish the school and team luck on the upcoming year. I hope you all find a coach who is as commited as he was!

beleagle05
JV Team

Post by beleagle05 »

The board and A.D pulled the same thing here that they did with Stout...tell Curt they cant get him the votes then he "resigned". Mister B can say what he wants but screamin eagle nailed it. Curt is a great guy/friend/teacher/coach and especially father...sad to see him go from Belpre

screamineagle54
Waterboy

The s*** at belpre is about to hit the fan. Nobody has a set to stand up to parents or fans who are unruley. Board memebers talk on here, but coaches at belpre are told not to go on to the prep and look at stuff or blog. THATS FUBAR! Someone at belpre needs to stand up and not be scared and set things straight. To many back stabbers. :shock:

bigbluedad
Freshman Team

Post by bigbluedad »

Being a Belpre grad and watching what has went on in the Belpre system the past years it comes down to this, people got used to winning all the time and still expect it today and everyone wants another Coach Holder to come along and I think they thought it was going to happen with Curt coaching the team.
Curt was trying to do things his way and there is what pissed everybody off, Curt is a great guy and would do anything to help a person out, it's just all the politics that came into play about his job.

gpgm6566
Varsity

Post by gpgm6566 »

If all you fans from other schools think that our coaching staff was so wonderful, why don't you make a move to get them to come to your school.

About kids not coming to the weight room, the weight program at Belpre is a complete joke, our football coaches or who ever has been in charge have no idea how to get the kids strong. one set of ten are you kidding me?

Did you ever notice that our pee wee programs seem to be able to at least compete with the competition. That's because the competition isn't yet lifting. Then comes jr. high and high school, and we can't compete; because every school we face is much stronger than we are. You ever look at our kids with their shirts off, look at Warren's, NY's,.
We couldn't win a strength contest with anyone. Until this changes don't look for much success at Belpre.

eaglefan1
Varsity

Post by eaglefan1 »

If all you fans from other schools think that our coaching staff was so wonderful, why don't you make a move to get them to come to your school.

About kids not coming to the weight room, the weight program at Belpre is a complete joke, our football coaches or who ever has been in charge have no idea how to get the kids strong. one set of ten are you kidding me?

Did you ever notice that our pee wee programs seem to be able to at least compete with the competition. That's because the competition isn't yet lifting. Then comes jr. high and high school, and we can't compete; because every school we face is much stronger than we are. You ever look at our kids with their shirts off, look at Warren's, NY's,.
We couldn't win a strength contest with anyone. Until this changes don't look for much success at Belpre.

The weightlifting program and Belpre is a joke because none of the kids want to actually get in the weight room and work, and when the kids do go the weight room, the goof off and don't get anything done.

otterslide
JV Team

Post by otterslide »

eaglefan1 wrote:

The weightlifting program and Belpre is a joke because none of the kids want to actually get in the weight room and work, and when the kids do go the weight room, the goof off and don't get anything done.

Hey eaglefan1 it's
they not the ......lol

eaglefan1
Varsity

Post by eaglefan1 »

thanks for the correction bro..i had one mistake, you had three

orange and black
Freshman Team

Post by orange and black »

I agree with gpgm, the weightroom isn't much of a weightroom. A few things should be done.

1. Install a new weightroom in the near future. I would rather see this done before our field getting fixed...to win you need strength not a good looking field.

2. If a new weightroom were to be built, atleast keep it open after school hours for kids to get in. If i had been allowed to get in after school 3-4 days a week instead of being kicked out in the middle of my set i would have appreciated Belpre faculty more. I'm sure there is one person there that would want to be in there lifting with the players. I myself would do it if Belpre would allow it.

3. I know there are areas to build...the band room i don't think is being used much (correct me if im wrong) it has decent size and is right by the track it would work i think.

-for those who complain about vandalism and stealing equipment...put a lock on the door i know Belpre can atleast afford a lock. If it were a good looking weightroom i bet more people would appreciate it than the current one.

4. If Belpre did this i would hope they kept it open to the kids till atleast 6-8 on weekdays. I know warren built their dfacility and allow the community to go in there.

I really think it would benefit the athletic teams at Belpre, i look at teams like south, nelsonville, williamstown their players are stronger and in better shape than ours. I know it has a lot to do with desire and attitude but i know for a fact that a better weightroom can have an impact...especially if the fculty doesn't kick you out. I know the rule was you had to be in their with a coach but what about kids who don't play sports but want to get bigger and stronger? It atleast keeps them busy and out of trouble for a few hours, you can learn a lot just from lifting weights. I really hope Belpre looks into this.

screamineagle54
Waterboy

gpgm6566 wrote:If all you fans from other schools think that our coaching staff was so wonderful, why don't you make a move to get them to come to your school.

Wow! Your comparing high school football ball to pee-wee football. Are you serious? You must be a comedian. Yes I'll agree with you that the weightroom is important, but when you have kids show up and all they want to do is talk even if the coach is telling them not to, it makes it hard to get things done. Workouts would take 3 hrs just to get done. The coaching staff tried to get people in the weightroom during the winter time last year. One kid showed up everyday and most of the time he was the only one. I know there are other sports going on, but one kid, thats ridiculous. In the summertime the kids use these excuses, i have summer baseball, i have summer basketball, or I have summer wrestling. The coach can't tell this kids not to go to these events, because weightlifing is not manditory and nothing is until August. People can say what ever they want, but it comes down to the kids motivating themselves and parent or guadian support.

Going back to the pee-wee program. You want to talk about jokes. This is one of the biggest jokes. You posted earlier or on another subject that we had one of the biggest o-lines, but they basically couldn't block a soul. This is because in the pee-wee program no technique is taught. The coaches just give it to the fastest kid and run. The o-line just kind of stands looking for someone to hit and this is not the kids faults at all. It's the coaches fault for not teaching them technique. It's all about winnning in pee-wee and the coaches are trying to make themselves feel better because they are washed up. It shouldn't be about winning, it should be about teaching them the fundamentals of football, so when these kids get to high school or junior high the coaches are not starting from scratch. Do you know there are kids in high school, who don't even know to get in a three point stance correctly as freshmen.

Binary
JV Team

Post by Binary »

DeepPurpleCoach wrote:I had several undefeated teams in Jr Hi so if you want a great coach that knows how to teach a kid to get in a stance just give me a call.

Another proven winner it looks like. :lol:

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

As I read these posts, it seems to me that a BIG issue is getting an atmosphere of community cooperation developed. I suspect there are some pretty big rifts that have developed over the years. What if the new coach goes to the peewee coaches and JH coaches and says lets all set down and come up with some common goals and a direction to achieve thise goals. Will this fly?

Binary
JV Team

Post by Binary »

HowardCosell wrote:As I read these posts, it seems to me that a BIG issue is getting an atmosphere of community cooperation developed. I suspect there are some pretty big rifts that have developed over the years. What if the new coach goes to the peewee coaches and JH coaches and says lets all set down and come up with some common goals and a direction to achieve thise goals. Will this fly?

I say just hire deepPurpleCoach. I mean just look at this resume'.

Binary wrote:
DeepPurpleCoach wrote:I had several undefeated teams in Jr Hi so if you want a great coach that knows how to teach a kid to get in a stance just give me a call.

gpgm6566
Varsity

Post by gpgm6566 »

scream- Apparently you can't read, or your comprehension skills aren't all that great. Where in my post did I compare Peewee to high school? What I said was, the peewees could at least compete with area teams, but when they get to high school they get completely run over by these same kids.

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

screamineagle54 wrote:
gpgm6566 wrote:About kids not coming to the weight room, the weight program at Belpre is a complete joke, our football coaches or who ever has been in charge have no idea how to get the kids strong. one set of ten are you kidding me?

Yes I'll agree with you that the weightroom is important, but when you have kids show up and all they want to do is talk even if the coach is telling them not to, it makes it hard to get things done. The coaching staff tried to get people in the weightroom during the winter time last year. One kid showed up everyday and most of the time he was the only one. I know there are other sports going on, but one kid, thats ridiculous. In the summertime the kids use these excuses, i have summer baseball, i have summer basketball, or I have summer wrestling. The coach can't tell this kids not to go to these events, because weightlifing is not manditory and nothing is until August. People can say what ever they want, but it comes down to the kids motivating themselves and parent or guadian support.
Going back to the pee-wee program. You want to talk about jokes. This is one of the biggest jokes. You posted earlier or on another subject that we had one of the biggest o-lines, but they basically couldn't block a soul. This is because in the pee-wee program no technique is taught. The o-line just kind of stands looking for someone to hit and this is not the kids faults at all. It's the coaches fault for not teaching them technique. It's all about winnning in pee-wee and the coaches are trying to make themselves feel better because they are washed up. It shouldn't be about winning, it should be about teaching them the fundamentals of football, so when these kids get to high school or junior high the coaches are not starting from scratch. Do you know there are kids in high school, who don't even know to get in a three point stance correctly as freshmen.

If you were aware it is one set of 10 why not work to correct the situation.......

This sounds like two guys on the Belpre staff, one peewee and one HS, having a power struggle and neither wanting to take credit for the current status of the program...

Return to “Football”