SVAC Rebirth: dreams do come true!

A-Town Big Dog
S

Re: SVAC Rebirth: dreams do come true!

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

G.W.A. wrote:pick up jackson and warren move wellston and meigs down a div and then move belpre on down a div. That would make 6 in all divisions.
You'd have to move Alex and Meigs down and leave Wellston. Alex wouldn't like that schedule at all and we know Wellston isn't afraid to play tougher schools like Jackson and Gallia at least.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Lets face it, Warren, at 356 boys, is not going to get back into the TVC.

Jackson (295) and Gallia (258) stand a much better chance and they already play some TVC in non-conference games.

With the unstable ground that the SEOAL appears to be on with membership, I would pursue Jackson and Gallia as new members of the TVC (by 2014) and place them in the Ohio.

What division you are in should be based off of boys enrollment but I can see a few exceptions with current members.

Here is my proposed future divisons of the TVC with boys enrollment numbers.

OHIO
Athens (297)
Jackson (295)
Vinton Co. (271)
Gallia (258)
Meigs (209)
NY (151)

NORTH
River Valley (190)
Wellston (188)
Alexander (171)
Belpre (145)
Trimble (107)
Wahama (105 appx)

SOUTH
Federal Hocking (138)
Miller (104)
South Gallia (91)
Waterford (89)
Eastern (87)
Southern (76)

I placed NY in the Ohio because this is where their leadership would want them to be.

The same goes for moving Trimble and Wahama to the North and Federal Hocking in the South.

These exceptions would allow for the best possible competitive balance for all teams and would be the most palatable to the majority of the current members. I am sure that there would be a few votes against this.

For any new members to come into the TVC, they must get a YES from 75% of the current membership. All other votes are simple majority rules.

The TVC has enough small schools. It is time to get 2 more larger schools so there are 3 divisons of 6 teams each. This would improve the overall competition of all 3 divisons and allow for 5 conference games in football (which is plenty) and 10 conference games in basketball and volleyball, again, that is plenty to crown a champ. Plus, any crossover games between divisons should be encouraged but considered as non-conference games. This would allow for local longstanding rivalries to continue, new ones to start or games of financial importance to both schools to still be played.

Just my thoughts

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Miller can't be happy with the travel they'll have to do---If I was them I'd look to leave and good luck to the 2 Hocking divisions finding a good game 10 for the odd man out each year.

I don't understand the push to expand the league---We're in danger of becoming the S.E.O.A.L. ---expand, expand, expand, and disband.

When will a kid from Miller or Waterford ever see anyone from their league outside of sporting events? Federal won't be happy in their new home either--wins will be hard to come by.

Might see an Ohio River league in a few years with S.G., Eastern, Southern, Federal, Belpre, and Waterford. Fort Frye, Parkersburg Catholic, and Wahama could join also--hate to see this but it could very well happen.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Mister B wrote:Lets face it, Warren, at 356 boys, is not going to get back into the TVC.

Jackson (295) and Gallia (258) stand a much better chance and they already play some TVC in non-conference games.

With the unstable ground that the SEOAL appears to be on with membership, I would pursue Jackson and Gallia as new members of the TVC (by 2014) and place them in the Ohio.

What division you are in should be based off of boys enrollment but I can see a few exceptions with current members.

Here is my proposed future divisons of the TVC with boys enrollment numbers.

OHIO
Athens (297)
Jackson (295)
Vinton Co. (271)
Gallia (258)
Meigs (209)
NY (151)

NORTH
River Valley (190)
Wellston (188)
Alexander (171)
Belpre (145)
Trimble (107)
Wahama (105 appx)

SOUTH
Federal Hocking (138)
Miller (104)
South Gallia (91)
Waterford (89)
Eastern (87)
Southern (76)

I placed NY in the Ohio because this is where their leadership would want them to be.

The same goes for moving Trimble and Wahama to the North and Federal Hocking in the South.

These exceptions would allow for the best possible competitive balance for all teams and would be the most palatable to the majority of the current members. I am sure that there would be a few votes against this.

For any new members to come into the TVC, they must get a YES from 75% of the current membership. All other votes are simple majority rules.

The TVC has enough small schools. It is time to get 2 more larger schools so there are 3 divisons of 6 teams each. This would improve the overall competition of all 3 divisons and allow for 5 conference games in football (which is plenty) and 10 conference games in basketball and volleyball, again, that is plenty to crown a champ. Plus, any crossover games between divisons should be encouraged but considered as non-conference games. This would allow for local longstanding rivalries to continue, new ones to start or games of financial importance to both schools to still be played.

Just my thoughts

I could see this happening. I'm not sure if Vinton County would like to be in the big school division in this scenerio, but they already play Jackson every year, so Gallia would be the only change for them. I like it.

Something else that could happen....

If Logan and Chillicothe bolt for the MSL, you could take Jackson, Gallia, and Warren - combine them with Athens and possibly someone like Point Pleasant (which is part of the same school district as Wahama, just a different high school) - and then you could have a fourth division - or true big school division. The problems of having West Virginia schools in an Ohio league would be minimized because of fewer league requirements. Maybe Marietta would be enticed to join that division if the ECOL proves too brutal for them. How ironic would that be if this happened after the SEOAL folded assuming Logan and Chillicothe left for the MSL?

Vikingcountry
Waterboy

Post by Vikingcountry »

I played for SV when they was in the SVAC, I loved the league.

Purple&Yellow Pride
Freshman Team

Post by Purple&Yellow Pride »

meatswinger wrote:Hooray! My wish on my last birthday was granted! the TVC voted the old SVAC back into existence:

Southern
Eastern
South Gallia
Waterford
Miller

If they would have just put River Valley in Miller's spot the whole thing would be complete. Now if we can just talk Symmes Valley into joining....... :122246

All of us old SVACers can begin to rejoice. This has been much debated on this platform and now it is true thankfully and finally!

A special shoutout to Pam Douthitt. She should be the SVAC Commissioner.
Word on the street in racine is that Pammy was the driving force behind the new alignment. Apparently wanted to increase the competition she plays in nonleague games for softball and didnt want these joker softball programs clogging up dates.

ucantcme
Freshman Team

Post by ucantcme »

Need to have NY in the Ohio in football but everything else should be in the other div.

renob
Freshman Team

Post by renob »

ATHENS, Ohio — It’s always good to have a contingency plan, even if it’s not entirely popular.

After all, the first unopposed idea just fell through.

The Tri-Valley Conference has officially decided, by a 9-6 vote, to split the current 43-year old league into three separate divisions at the start of the 2014 fall season.

The decision — which required only a majority vote (8-7) to pass or fail — was made at the monthly league meeting held on Wednesday, Sept. 14, in Athens County.

The current TVC consists of 15 schools and two divisions, with nine smaller-sized schools playing in the Hocking Division and a half-dozen bigger communities competing in the Ohio Division.

And on December 8, 2010, league officials were nearly unanimous (14-0 vote in favor with one absent) in inviting River Valley High School to become the 16th TVC program as a member of the Ohio Division in the fall of 2014.

The Raiders — who are currently members of the Ohio Valley Conference until the spring of 2014 — accepted those terms, which would have joined them with Athens, Alexander, Meigs, Nelsonville-York, Vinton County and Wellston in a seven-team Ohio Division.

The current nine-team Hocking Division is made up of Belpre, Eastern, Federal Hocking, Miller, Southern, South Gallia, Trimble, Wahama and Waterford.

With River Valley’s official acceptance, the hope was that one of the nine TVC Hocking programs would volunteer to move up to the bigger TVC Ohio to even the divisions at eight apiece — which would have made scheduling a lot easier year-round.

For example, an eight-team division could have seven league games in football over the course of the final seven weeks of the season, leaving three non-conference dates open at the beginning of the year — when practically everyone plays non-league opponents.

Basketball, volleyball, baseball and softball would all have 14 league games and enough flexibility for choice non-conference matchups in a pair of eight-team formats as well.

Trimble showed some interest in becoming that eighth member of the TVC Ohio in August, but ultimately announced at the September meeting that it wanted to remain a member of the TVC Hocking.

And that’s what led to Plan B.

The 15 schools then discussed and voted on a split into three divisions, which ended with a 9-6 vote in favor of. Wellston, Belpre, Alexander, Trimble, Miller and Federal Hocking all voted no on the issue, and River Valley did not have a vote in the matter as a current member of the OVC.

The new twist mostly affects the Raiders, who will now enter the TVC in 2014 as the 10th member of the Hocking Division. The TVC Hocking will then split into two five-team subdivisions, based mostly on enrollment to keep things balanced. The TVC Ohio will remain unchanged from its current six-team format.

The new 10-member TVC Hocking will be divided into a North Division (RVHS, Wahama, Belpre, Trimble and Federal Hocking) and a South Division (Eastern, Southern, South Gallia, Waterford and Miller).

This setup allows more flexibility in the scheduling process, which had become a concern of the current Hocking Division members — playing only two non-conference football games and four non-conference contests in basketball.

The new two-division TVC Hocking will work as such in the fall of 2014:

— FOOTBALL: Each member of a division will play one another in weeks 7-10, which amounts to four league games. The North and South divisions will also have a crossover game in Week 6, but this contest does not count toward the final league standings. With five games filled every season under this format, it allows each program to schedule five non-conference games of choice at the beginning of the season — similar to the current format used by the TVC Ohio.

— BASKETBALL: Each member of a division will play one another twice (home-and-home) for a total of eight league games, plus the North and South will face one another once in non-conference matchups for 13 guaranteed games a season. Again, the five crossover games will not count in the league standings. With 22 regular season games allowed in Ohio now, each TVC Hocking program can schedule nine non-conference opponents of choice.

— BASEBALL/SOFTBALL: Each member of a division will play one another twice (home-and-home) for a total of eight league games, plus the North and South will face one another once in non-conference matchups for 13 guaranteed games a season. Again, the five crossover games will not count in the league standings.

— VOLLEYBALL: Each member of a division will play one another twice (home-and-home) for a total of eight league games, plus the North and South will face one another once in non-conference matchups for 13 guaranteed games a season. Again, the five crossover games will not count in the league standings.

There are still some details to be worked out in regards to how league championships will be decided in golf, cross country, wrestling and track and field starting the 2014 school year — which is still over two years away.

The addition of more teams to the TVC was also not discussed at the September meeting, meaning that the league appears to be fully-content with 16 members at the start of 2014

Read more: Pomeroy Daily Sentinel - TVC splitting into three divisions in 2014

Return to “Football”