Being Competitive in Playoffs ?

Heavy D
All Conference

Re: Being Competitive in Playoffs ?

Post by Heavy D »

Maddog 20/20 wrote:They dont worry about winning the league in Racing (oh....the have never won a title), they just want a deep playoff run (OOPS never been to the playoffs either).

BRING BACK THE SVAC!

I remember hearing that cheer anytime we play Southern or Eastern. You know the old one lets bring back the old S Vac lets bring back the old S Vac. :lol:

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

Most of the time if you aren't good enough to win your league, you aren't good enought to make a run at state either, at least in this area of the state. Your league games are supposed to show you what you have as a team, and if you win it you obviously have some talent. I agree that non conference scheduling needs to be beefed up to prepare your team. The main thing those is having a complete progam as some have said earlier. The head coach controls all aspects of football from high school to pee-wee. No "rogue" coaches out to win a super bowl in 4th grade or go undefeated in jr. high, although if any of those happen they are a plus. The kids simply learn the offense and fundamentals with the knowledge that in high school they will be very good and win many games there, where it really matters.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

Well atleast he can juggle.

DILLIFAG
Waterboy

Post by DILLIFAG »

Girevik wrote:
Heavy D wrote:Well atleast he can juggle.

And, here we see the baseball coach at Eastern in training.....

Come to Ukraine, we train, I BREAK you!

I always wondered what Bowen looked like when he was skinny and had hair..... :lol:

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

DILLIFAG wrote:
Girevik wrote:

I always wondered what Bowen looked like when he was skinny and had hair..... :lol:

Skinny?

meatswinger
JV Team

Post by meatswinger »

Man, Bowen has really let himself go.......

4 HORSEMEN
JV Team

Post by 4 HORSEMEN »

Don't get the wrong idea. Winning your league is still very important and should be your 1st priority.........

However, it should NOT be your LAST and GREATEST goal.

Win your league.... Yes!
Make the playoffs.... Yes!
But don't stop there!!!!!
Win your 1st playoff game.... Yes!
Win your Region.... Yes!
Win State.... YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

I agree you must schedule up to become better. Ironton left the SEOAL and from what I saw they have 2 columbus teams on the schedule at least they are keeping it up. I would love to see them join the ovc just for a league and schedule ease but then I would hate it because it is probley one of the weakest leagues in the state.There for point in case of playing in a weak league and it keeps you from the playoffs and you know this leave the league. Some will say they have history and rivalry and that is reason enough not to leave a league then don't complain for not making playoffs at 8-2 and 9-1 expanding the playoffs would be a injustice to the kids that played great schedules and earned the playoff spot. As for injuries and late bloomers injuries are regretable as in Logans case the focused with angle as the star therefor the back ups never got enough reps in games to be able to step up when needed at the most important time of the year. Late bloomers should never be an excuse these kids most play together from JR high and up some even grade school so they should know the system and what to expect from it. Granted turn over in coaches does hurt some programs but the good programs over come it and the bad stay bad.So there is many keys to winning but the biggest is installing confidence in a team so it believes it can win and giving them the opportunity to prove it against teams that challenge them to be better in the long run.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

4 HORSEMEN wrote:Don't get the wrong idea. Winning your league is still very important and should be your 1st priority.........

However, it should NOT be your LAST and GREATEST goal.

Win your league.... Yes!
Make the playoffs.... Yes!
But don't stop there!!!!!
Win your 1st playoff game.... Yes!
Win your Region.... Yes!
Win State.... YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!

I can assure you at least that Logan had set their goals very high for the postseason. I'll try to refrain from comment on the hit that took Pat Angle out of the game and stopped us against Brookhaven. Haven had lots of athletes and earned their victory but DON'T tell me Logan lost because they didn't care, didn't assign the highest priority to winning in the postseason or put out a sensational effort. The goals logan has every year are CHRONOLOGICAL, not in order of importance. You have to attain on before the others. The belittlers will still have their opinion and they're entitled to it.

Baldeagle
Varsity

Post by Baldeagle »

Girevik wrote:

I cant believe you guys are gonna give out my secrets!

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

Post by RogueWarrior1965 »

sider wrote: Honestly, I think Minford kinda got satisfied with winning the league, but Burg on the other hand, had no nothing to show for their year therefore they weren't satisfied. Not knocking Minford they had a great year, its just easy to get satisfied at the end of the year, espically if you're not used to success like that

Minford lost to a team (West Lafayette Ridgewood) that is now in the final 4, so I don't think they were satisified with winning the league. Matter of fact, I know they weren't. They just happened to draw the best team in Region 19. The score is also not indicative of the game. It was 15-10 at the half and still close until a turnover and then Minford had to start going for it on 4th down in their own territory (which they had to do if they were to have any chance of winning), which lead to a couple of Ridgewood scores.

I honestly think if Minford had drawn any other team except for Ridgewood that Minford would have been playing in the regional finals tonight. Of course we will never know that so there is no need to discuss or debate it.

One thing that may factor into how successful the teams are in the post-season are the number of seniors. Minford had 14 seniors but only 9 were on the field (not counting the kicker) against Ridgewood. People can say what they want, but there is a big difference between seniors and underclassmen in high school. Even if the talent is close, the maturity level and knowledge of the game will typically give the edge to senior laden teams.

pappy1
Varsity

Post by pappy1 »

dazed&confused......I think you nailed the league/state champ issue with the word CHRONOLOGICAL. Just take one thing at a time.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

A couple of interesting facts. Teams from the Midwest Athletic Conference are 174-48 all-time in the playoffs (78.4%) and 157-31 (83.5%) in games not against another MAC team. I wonder how other conferences compare to these.

Return to “Football”